PDA

View Full Version : Bow Upgrade for Thief 3 (Really?)

Thorin Oakenshield
7th Jul 2002, 22:41
Quote from PCGameReview.com

Thief 3 Details January 25 11:26AM PST

Warren Specter participated in an online chat (full log here) in which he released some details on upcoming Thief 3:

Single Player Thief 3 will focus more on the main character (Garret) and will be very much story driven.

T3 will support some form of multiplayer -- though DM will probably not be an option.

The bow will be upgraded, but unlike T2, will only feature four levels of upgrades.

As with the previous game, sound will player a major role in the game. Louder sounds will cover up smaller sounds like footsteps.

The storyline will focus more on Garret and his profession - being a thief, stealing things and generally being sneaky.

AI will be improved and enhanced in a number of ways to make the game more challenging and realistic.

Levels may include more city orientated areas like winding alleys, back streets, etc.

Here's the URL http://www.pcgr.com/dailynews/comments/980450796,25069,.asp

Bow Upgrade is Not a joke anymore :eek: :D

stikboy
7th Jul 2002, 23:15
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield

The bow will be upgraded, but unlike T2, will only feature four levels of upgrades.

Maybe it depends on how you interpret upgrades? Is the water arrow an upgrade? and the rope arrow? To me, that quote sounds like T3 will have less upgrades than T2, in which case his and our definitions of upgrades vary :)

ChowYunFat
7th Jul 2002, 23:20
Stikboy sounds like he may be right, based on the wording of the quote. But which of the "upgrades" would remain? Surely they'll keep the water & rope arrows. Maybe the other two keepers will be the moss & fire arrows. Assuming that's even what was meant. :confused:

Komag
7th Jul 2002, 23:58
No, the "upgrade levels" have nothing to do with the arrow types, but this quote is wholly playing on the longtime joke of there being a bow upgrade in Thief or Thief 2. I suspect they really will put in an easter egg bow upgrade in Thief 3 though :)

Mr. Perfect
8th Jul 2002, 00:07
Hopefully it's either a joke or has to do with the bow itself. I don't care for that idea they origonaly had where you make a fire arrow by combining a fire crystal and a braodhead(which is what I'd take to be a "upgrade").

stikboy
8th Jul 2002, 01:24
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
idea they origonaly had where you make a fire arrow by combining a fire crystal and a braodhead

As much as I dislike RPG's for this type of thing, I think that's actually a good idea. It'd make more sense for Garrett to carry around 10 broadheads and 10 different crystals instead of 20 different arrows

Peter_Smith
8th Jul 2002, 04:54
I haven't seen the actual article. But on the face of it, either the quote itself is a hoax, or the quote is a joke by Mr. Spector. As most of us know, there has never been a bow upgrade - and please, you upgrade crazies, don't get started on that again.:) I would not expect one in T3 either, considering the context of the alleged quote.

Peter_Smith
8th Jul 2002, 05:17
OK, I just went to the URL to check for the original article. The summary was as quoted above, but the full text of the interview had been removed (404 page not available). So, my working assumption now is that is a misquote or a joke.

Squid
8th Jul 2002, 06:51
Anyone bother to check the dates on their posts for the chat log? Unfortunately, the first post in that forum was January 25, 2001. A year and a half ago. This pretty much means that the whole thing is suspect.

Squid

RiCh
8th Jul 2002, 15:04
What would the bow upgrade into? A crossbow maybe? Or maybe a flaming bow of swift justice? Maybe it’ll upgrade into a gun? So we could have some real fun with those nasty Hammers! Ok Hammerite, make my day! :D Bow upgrade, I ask ya? It’s got to be a joke! Personally I think Garrett should be equipped with a crossbow anyway?

Thorin Oakenshield
8th Jul 2002, 17:58
I posted this because of the Looong running Bow Upgrade Joke :D

I don't know wether to believe it or not:rolleyes: I thought you guys might get a giggle from it:)

Mr. Perfect
9th Jul 2002, 01:37
I've only ever heard of the long running T2 sword upgrade joke. ;) I wonder why Garret sold off Constantines blade...

Komag
9th Jul 2002, 08:16
Originally posted by Peter Smith
OK, I just went to the URL to check for the original article. The summary was as quoted above, but the full text of the interview had been removed (404 page not available). So, my working assumption now is that is a misquote or a joke.

I can understand your skepticism Peter, but the quote is absolutely real. There was a live chat around a year ago and this was said by one of the guys (Emil?), not Warren. He (I think it was Emil, but maybe is was Randy or another) was asked by one of the TTLG guys if there would be a "bow upgrade" in Thief 3 - his answer was to jokingly say yes and to play along with the joke about the bow upgrade rumor in Thief 1/G/2. He was clearly just being "one of the guys" with that response, not to be taken seriously, but it is a fact that he said (typed) it.

I personally really really really think they will put in, as a super secret silly thing, a bow upgrade easter egg. I DON'T think they will make a real bow upgrade that affects the game, but I think they'll have one just as a joke somewhere, a la the Seventh Crystal style.

ChangelingJane
10th Jul 2002, 01:17
I'm more interested in the other bits of info that were said. Like the game focusing on Garrett and his profession. This means we will probably get lots of mansion-raiding missions and the like! More stealing and less mystical hogwash! I can't wait!

Specter
12th Jul 2002, 00:45
I stand on the otherside of the argument ChangelingJane. Though I find mansion missions fun, I think if the whole game is comprised of those, it would become tedious. I liked TG and T2 because you start off just making a living, then fall victim to circumstance, and you have to solve the problems as the ***** hits the fan. I hope the story continues where it left off.