PDA

View Full Version : Update the Upgrade Pack

CnnrYng1
20th Jul 2016, 08:32
Someone at SE needs to release a mid-season upgrade pack so that people who've bought in episodes up until now have the option of switching over. The only current option is the £37 upgrade that includes Sapienza and Marrakech and was released when the Intro/Paris pack came out.

So its either pay through the nose for the last three & summer episode or continue paying individually and be punished for being an episodic buyer by withheld content

kyuelol
22nd Jul 2016, 20:58
The pricing of the upgrade pack should be dynamic, meaning it calculates the price based on the episodes you're missing. I mean at least on steam it's not hard to do. I am very disappointed on how they left like half of their players standing in the rain with how they released the bonus episodes. I can see how they would want to show appreciation to people who payed more money upfront without all of the content being released yet, but 2 entire episodes is way too much (which by the way seems to have delayed the 4th episode by 1 month, bc wasn't Thailand supposed to be released in July?)

CnnrYng1
23rd Jul 2016, 13:07
Yeah buying episodically essentially means no episode for July, and having to await until late August to get the next installment which is pretty lame. You're right about dynamic pricing

Swixel
23rd Jul 2016, 23:22
The pricing of the upgrade pack should be dynamic, meaning it calculates the price based on the episodes you're missing. I mean at least on steam it's not hard to do.

Sadly, only on Steam. They had the choice of doing the same thing everywhere or fixing it for Steam players -- 2/3 of the platforms being left out wouldn't look good either. Terrible place to be, and while I understand why they did it, I more or less wish they hadn't.

I have the full experience, pre-ordered beginning of October, 2015, and held fast through the changes; I'm glad they didn't remove any of the content promised (they moved the bonus missions for the first three missions into this episode), but equally I could have waited for everyone to get it. Yes, it shows the game is still alive and being developed, polished, and looked after (with this being a faster episodic release than people expected) -- and that's appreciated -- but I don't really like the current state we're in with people complaining about everything while IO/SE are more or less stuck not being able to explain why; I genuinely believe it's because they can't single out the problematic platform(s) (hint: not Steam), and not because they choose not to talk to us.

Anyway, it's a single bonus episode. There are three missions schedule to be in it, and based on their own previous materials it'll be Paris that's missing. They are, and I cannot emphasise it enough, missions. They live under the Sapienza and Marrakesh destinations (to the far right of the escalations), have a single entrance, single ICA drop box, and play a lot like the old Blood Money missions. The missions themselves are somewhat limited (Marrakesh is much better than Sapienza in this), smaller, and I would suggest are going to be awesome platforms for live content -- but the missions themselves didn't hold much for me. (Once the pathing puzzle is cracked for both there are limited side avenues for the targets.) Again, I'm hoping the live content will be interesting on them, as the levels are very tightly locked down in what you can do -- it'll be a change from what we have, save maybe for Paris, which is fairly locked down in some places.

(which by the way seems to have delayed the 4th episode by 1 month, bc wasn't Thailand supposed to be released in July?)

The last scheduled release we got was for Marrakesh. The were just "in the following months" (not giving us an exact month).

kyuelol
25th Jul 2016, 16:13
Sadly, only on Steam. They had the choice of doing the same thing everywhere or fixing it for Steam players -- 2/3 of the platforms being left out wouldn't look good either. Terrible place to be, and while I understand why they did it, I more or less wish they hadn't.

I have the full experience, pre-ordered beginning of October, 2015, and held fast through the changes; I'm glad they didn't remove any of the content promised (they moved the bonus missions for the first three missions into this episode), but equally I could have waited for everyone to get it. Yes, it shows the game is still alive and being developed, polished, and looked after (with this being a faster episodic release than people expected) -- and that's appreciated -- but I don't really like the current state we're in with people complaining about everything while IO/SE are more or less stuck not being able to explain why; I genuinely believe it's because they can't single out the problematic platform(s) (hint: not Steam), and not because they choose not to talk to us.

Anyway, it's a single bonus episode. There are three missions schedule to be in it, and based on their own previous materials it'll be Paris that's missing. They are, and I cannot emphasise it enough, missions. They live under the Sapienza and Marrakesh destinations (to the far right of the escalations), have a single entrance, single ICA drop box, and play a lot like the old Blood Money missions. The missions themselves are somewhat limited (Marrakesh is much better than Sapienza in this), smaller, and I would suggest are going to be awesome platforms for live content -- but the missions themselves didn't hold much for me. (Once the pathing puzzle is cracked for both there are limited side avenues for the targets.) Again, I'm hoping the live content will be interesting on them, as the levels are very tightly locked down in what you can do -- it'll be a change from what we have, save maybe for Paris, which is fairly locked down in some places.

The last scheduled release we got was for Marrakesh. The were just "in the following months" (not giving us an exact month).

Yeah that's what I figured too. I'm pretty much used to due to regulations by microsoft and especially sony for consoles such procedures like dynamic priced bundles are a pain to implement across the board. But it only really became a problem when they made the bonus episodes full experience and upgrade pack exclusives, because that's what makes a lot of people consider buying them instead of keep buying episode by episode. I don't know why they just don't release it as a standalone right away. The only reasonable thing I can come up with are restrictions from the publisher side who wants to boost sales of the full exp and upgrade pack.

Swixel
26th Jul 2016, 01:23
But it only really became a problem when they made the bonus episodes full experience and upgrade pack exclusives

Well, first, they're not -- they appear to be a remnant from the original release model (i.e. buy the game or don't), and they got carried into the upgrade pack because of what it is. They're also the seventh episode -- they can be bought later.

I don't know why they just don't release it as a standalone right away. The only reasonable thing I can come up with are restrictions from the publisher side who wants to boost sales of the full exp and upgrade pack.

If you have the patience call or email Microsoft, Steam/Valve, and Sony/PSN. The first two have the attitude of "We want your game/business" whereas Sony seems to take the view "You want Sony/PSN"; the latter makes me want to make mobile games over anything on their platform, and those things are horrible to make well.

Based on what you'll get back you can easily pinpoint who the troublesome party is (i.e. "would you stop us/me(/my company) splitting DLC or shipping it in two parts?"). There are other issues (questions most people wouldn't ask), which makes me think the other console ecosystem is partially to blame, but it's kind of irrelevant -- partial content releases aren't weird for most platforms, and if this one particular platform let people do it it'd give them more sales.

As for the publisher issue I doubt it. Selling Episode 7 for the full episodic cost nets them $10 more over the upgrade route ($15+$50 vs $15+60). Since various users have gotten refunds of episodes from Microsoft/Xbox to buy the upgrade pack it's causing them a loss of revenue on that platform.