PDA

View Full Version : Would you say Coded goes with the story of KH or is it its own thing?

peronmls
1st Jun 2012, 17:24
Coded seemed like its own story to me. From what I remember I don't think it ties with the series which isn't a problem. Would you need to play to understand the series and were it's going so far?

Paradox_me
1st Jun 2012, 17:59
Pretty much everything but the secret ending was of no significance to the series' story. It built off of a certain event in Kingdom Hearts II, creating and resolving its own conflict over the course of the game.

The secret ending: Sets up Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

Assuming Kingdom Hearts 3D recaps this, coded can be skipped entirely without missing anything important.

Pocamantis
1st Jun 2012, 20:52
Yeah I bet my friends that nothing significant that happened in Coded will ever be brought up again in future installments and none of them took me up on it lol.

iambasho777
1st Jun 2012, 20:57
The one significant thing coded brought to the table is the notion that Roxas and Xion are no longer content being part of Sora, and want to be their own people again. Other than that, it's just fun gameplay and explaining why Jiminy's journal didn't get fixed after CO

Lightning_Stryker
1st Jun 2012, 21:08
The ending was relevant but other than that I don't think is. Though it's nit a bad game

member_10827409
1st Jun 2012, 21:17
w-w-w-w-what???

member_10770952
1st Jun 2012, 21:23
Yeah I bet my friends that nothing significant that happened in Coded will ever be brought up again in future installments and none of them took me up on it lol.

wait wait wait a minute...what do u mean they want to be thier own people agagn??

member_10163252
2nd Jun 2012, 09:25
I think that the gameplay was probably some of the best (building off of the battle system in BBS).

BUT the story really wasn't very necessary. I mean it kind of ties up a few loose ends and then, as has been said, also sets up the next games in the ending.

member_10754161
2nd Jun 2012, 21:30
Coded seemed like its own story to me. From what I remember I don't think it ties with the series which isn't a problem. Would you need to play to understand the series and were it's going so far?

I just beat Re:Coded. I is sad :/

member_10691345
4th Jun 2012, 21:42
I didn't get much of the story Coded had to offer, only in the end it set up all of the characters for 3D, including Roxas, Xion, Axel, Ven, Aqua, and Terra. nothing much other than that.

Bobguy117
5th Jun 2012, 05:41
I thought of Re:coded as just a way for the series to tie off the events of CoM and to set up for 3D. In those respects, I think it did a pretty good job.

Falchia
9th Jun 2012, 02:15
coded was generally just aiming to be a purely fun and enjoyable game, which I think it accomplished rather successfully. The way I see it, as much as I loved the game as a whole, the story is just a bonus. What's really the star here is the gameplay. I found incorporating a TWEWY element into the game with during cutscenes was a refreshing break from the speech bubbles and character icons. The various styles of gameplay was in my opinion, ingenius. Well, actually I may be completely biased in that regard as I can really appreciate games that are able to utilize elements unfamiliar to its roots in such an enjoyable way.

To answer the question though, yeah, I'd say it does go along with the story, perhaps minimally, but it does succeed in that field.

new_tradition
26th Jun 2012, 19:28
I enjoyed Re:Coded as a game to play, and while seeing a Digital Sora angsting was a bit amusing, the main story relevance I found was just with the ending to set up for KH:3D.

I mean, it wasn't the real Sora or Riku we dealt with, so I felt Re:Coded was more like a "what if". Er, sort of xD

vitornavarrete
28th Jun 2012, 16:50
Other than the end the only thing that may make an appearence in the future, in my opnion, is Sora's heartless. The Nightmare that appears at the end of the DDD trailer can be it, or not. It was a fun game, though.

Gailardios
10th Jul 2012, 23:08
I thought of it as a bridge from kh2 to kh3d, Kinda like Com. I find it very important to the series, unlike Days

Seargentmickey
2nd Aug 2012, 23:12
in a way all of the games are important to the story, they explain several events and are very well connected; i observed com as a bidge to kh 2 and also an introduction to organization XIII,and namine. 358/2 days tells a deeper part in roxas's past as a member in organization XIII and show's axels connection to sora,as well in bbs, he became friends with ventus who's heart is within sora's ,just as well as eraqus's is in terra's, xion looks like namine,and aqua just saying, and coded reveals deeper evidence to sora and riku's friendship,but in speaking of the big picture, it hints that there are those connected to sora who are hurting and are in need of his aid, ddd: example one yen sid is a former keyblade master who is retired, there are seven worlds asleep in deep slumber,as xehenort dwells within one of them; ex 2: kairi and aqua in birth by sleep unintentionally prformed the inheritance ceremony, aqua's keyblade lit up. ex 3: there is a cutscene in dream drop distance that shows xion leading sora somewhere,and he asks her where, she stops in place briefly and they look at eachother at this part xion turns into namine. ex 4: the symbol of the dream eaters,and the symol of the unversed,see any relevance to all of them yet? what about the mysterious young xehenort posessed by vanitas?

member_10578644
24th Sep 2012, 19:37
Personally I feel that Re:Coded is important to the overall series, but not so much worth the time. It was the only game that I had to force myself to finish, and the only KH that I didn't get the secret ending myself. I feel the leveling system was a pain and difficult to work with as well as the lack of drawing you into the story was low in standards compared to the other games in the series. I know a lot of people who agree with me that this would be the Kingdom Hearts that should have never been, the things it told could have been fit in somewhere else really, Square has been trying to fit to much into the series while adding fluff story. The thing I will say though is I'm happy it's the third one that's next, and not more extra, I'm a devoted fan, and even I'm getting sick of all the extra stuff on systems that a lot of people still need to buy.

member_10832410
4th Oct 2012, 19:05
Lol essentially it only explains the letter that the party receives at the end of KHII and shows you how Mickey got the info to write that letter anyway XD I guess it also just was there to show you what was up with the journal in Chain of Memories when it got "erased" in Castle Oblivion. Re:Coded was there to show you that the information was still there and Sora and Riku can use it in KH3 to do cool stuff *shrug*

EDIT: Also I'm really forgiving for Re:Coded as it's original purpose was to have a fun episodic Kingdom Hearts game that you downloaded on your cellphone, kinda like how the original purpose of Chain of Memories was just "Wouldn't it be cool and fun to play KH on a game boy?" I'm much more forgiving with fun portable games than console games ^^;

member_10311806
4th Oct 2012, 23:23
Coded is in itself a canon story because of the fact that the real world was effected and it was the event that caused mickey to write his letter to Sora and Riku leading to Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. So.....YES.

edward.busch.18
4th Feb 2013, 19:25
no... I didnt think this game needed any attention. I played it set it down after i beat it in 2 days picked it up again to unlock everything set it down dissappointed after a months time while ALL the other games in the series im still playing cuz im having fun this one sits in my desk never touched....sigh...made ne skiddish on buying 3d but i did it to prove the story still wroth it and Dream drop was .... at best this is a paragraph in the overall script... ya glance at it and move on

B.I.R.Link94
9th Feb 2013, 21:28
coded is a filler game to explain what happened after kingdom hearts 2 and before kingdom hearts dream drop distance (if you didnt already know that)

edward.busch.18
10th Feb 2013, 08:36
@ Jason, I knew it was between KH2 and Dream Drop but i still dont think it was needed... The Datascape needed to be "Derezzed" .... Data sora, data riku, and data roxas all can go data bye-bye ... the enemy Soras data heartless was just dumb.... the only data I need is on Star Trek

Silverwing
13th Mar 2013, 06:26
Really at this point in the series. Coded was not needed.... the most it was for was to reveal what was inside Mickey's letter from the ending of KH2. Which it did, as well as show how he obtained it. What people forget though is that Maleficent and Pete did get stuck inside of the Data-scape, that the data-scape contains the data of more worlds then those visited within the first game, and that it is refered to a few times within 3D's story.

The first mention of it within 3D comes when Maleficent and Pete kidnap Minnie, wanting the data-worlds for her own to rule given she had numerous failures with their real counterparts. And it is mentioned again when Young Xehanort is talking with Sora about his many trips through Traverse Town.

So while as of right now it is largely unimportant overall and can be skipped without missing a beat, since 3D does go back over its events. Given the fact two different villains made notes of it, it will probably come to play a larger part in another story entirely outside the current Dark Seeker Arc. Likely within the world of the datascape itself

A few other things it does it that Sora had memories in him that dont belong to him, most likely refering to Ven.

edward.busch.18
22nd Mar 2013, 22:50
well Ven, Namine, Xion, Roxas all their memories and experiences are there...Coded wasnt really needed.... i said it before... lol

Bobguy117
23rd Mar 2013, 06:20
The only purposes of Coded were to close up all the loose ends of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and to set up for Kingdom Hearts 3D and Kingdom Hearts 3. I consider Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded to be the sequel to Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and it can be played immediately after playing Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts: CoM at any time with minimal spoilers, though Kingdom Hearts 2 might be good to play before it as well, just to get a sense of when it's taking place. The story is completely necessary, as it explains Mickey's letter at the end of Kingdom Hearts 2 and why Kingdom Hearts 3D is happening. Also, Maleficent has big plans for the Datascape that is probably going to be put into play during Kingdom Hearts 3, as we never really did find out why she was so adamant about stealing the World Data from Mickey in Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Coded is in no way a "filler game," as the Kingdom Hearts series has no fillers. It is, however, the only entry in the series one could reasonably skip without missing too much story, as all of it is explained in Kingdom Hearts 3D. However, I don't know why you would want to. Re:Coded is an impossibly fun game to play. The combat and platforming are some of the best in the series, if you can exclude Data-Sora's auto ledge jump.

edward.busch.18
23rd Mar 2013, 06:43
well it was the DIrect sequal to Kingdom hearts 2 in the overall plot to explain the letter.... but still i didnt enjoy it NO where near as much as the other games... i dont think i said it was a "filler" but i dont think it was nessery overall... it seemed like i could easily skipped it and not miss very much unlike ANY of the other games...lol in 3D it took what? 3 sentances for pete to explain the overall game?

Bobguy117
23rd Mar 2013, 07:06
Yeah, this is the only reasonably skippable game in the series, though I'd still advise playing it to get the completely unbroken Kingdom Hearts timeline. At least until maleficent reveals what she plans on doing with the World Data in the next game that is. You never said it was a filler, most of these posts I'm doing are responses to everyone who has ever posted on these threads. And while it was a direct sequel to two, none of the events of 2 were ever spoiled, which is why I say that this game could be played without having played 2 if you wanted. And I didn't enjoy it too mcuh myself, it's the only game in the series I've only played once. It was seriously fun the first time through though. It was just so refreshing. The command melding was easier for me to use than in Birth by Sleep, the commands were cooler looking and had funny descriptions, and the Panel System was easier than in 358/2 days. The fact that there was about 15 minutes of actual original plot to the game is what makes it one of my bottom three.

edward.busch.18
23rd Mar 2013, 08:00
eh BbS was one of my favs cuz you played 3 Diffrent heroes though 3 diffrent stories! ......Cinama hound too i just sit back be all like ohh yeah watching my PSP... but yeah re coded stays at my least.... but by NO means a terrible game!!! i want to set that RIGHT NOW..... KINGDOM HEARTS CAN DO NO EVIL!!... It tried with the dreameaters but thats a diffrent story for a diffrent thread

Bobguy117
23rd Mar 2013, 08:47
Agreed. My order for favorite games are:

1. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Gameplay/Story: 10/10

2. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - Gameplay/Story: 9/10

3. Kingdom Hearts 1 - Gameplay/Story: 8/10

4. Kingdom Hearts 3D - Gameplay/Story: 9/9

5. Kingdom Hearts 2 - Gameplay/Story: 7/10

6. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Gameplay/Story: 5/10 & Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded: 10/5

Birth by Sleep is my favorite because it had by far the best gameplay and the best story. And because I cried like the baby when I finally unlocked Blank Points.

edward.busch.18
23rd Mar 2013, 09:00
Well mine as follows

1. Kingdom hearts 2 .... GP/S 10/9

2. BBS GP/S 9/10

3. Chain 7/9

4. 358/2 days 8/8

5. 3D 8/8

6.Re:coded 7/5

358 isnt tied with 3D cuz i loved xion and Roxas chacter devopment more then Riku and Sora which had more in Chain

Bobguy117
23rd Mar 2013, 09:08
Seems like a good list to me! Where would Kingdom Hears 1 fall?

edward.busch.18
23rd Mar 2013, 09:15
ok knock everything below #2 down one...lol im on a sleeping pill about to crash

Bobguy117
23rd Mar 2013, 09:22
You should probably sleep! It's morning where I am so I'm just waking up.

edward.busch.18
23rd Mar 2013, 09:26
morning here too i work nights!

new_tradition
24th Mar 2013, 00:39
My opinion about Re:Coded is still the same, but I'm glad they brought it over in English. When it first got announced as a mobile title in Japan, I was miffed. A canon game story out of reach really annoyed me. So when it got ported to DS and then released in English (even though it ended up being a small part of the series) it shut me up, lol.

kadosho
30th Jul 2015, 21:12
Coded / Re:Coded always felt like a "lost chapter" to me. For one, its reconnecting various threads explored but in a "what if" design. However the build up plot wise make it closely knit as a "Tron" mini-verse that is very well manipulated but has significant consequences to the main thread. I am even more fascinated if we might explore another but within KH3