PDA

View Full Version : Escalation Contracts

wankerlicious
14th Jul 2016, 19:18
So, I'm going to preface this message by saying, "I mean this in the nicest way possible."

These escalation Contracts are interesting. Sometimes. For the most part they're very restrictive and provide little in the way of alternate paths. But honestly, I don't get why they keep spending so much time and effort on them when they could shift over to the things people actually care about.

Idk. I love the Elusive Targets. Love the open maps. Was pissed at the gun selection at first, but now I have a bunch of guns so I'm content. I guess I just don't understand why I see so much emphasis on a part of the game that restricts the most. Is anyone really looking forward to the next escalation?

Rant over.

What are your thoughts?

jimbianco
14th Jul 2016, 19:36
I hate them. Boring, repetitive,tedious. Nothing more than filler. I find nothing enjoyable about them whatsoever. I have no interest in arcadey, childish leaderboards , so no point. They keep putting them out because they are probably simple to make on their end. I played,trudged through about 15 of them (just for the useless SMG Tac unlock, a gun that doesn't even work!), but stopped suffering through them after they stopped giving unlocks. They might be tolerable if they were re-worked, starting them at level 5, instead of reloading & having to do every step every time. As for elusives, they are a little better, but I haven't been all that impressed. out of the 5 so far, only the forger & the prince have been halfway decent. Will anyone in their right mind actually go back and replay escalations once they've finished them? To each his own, but I'd rather watch paint dry. I wish they would forget about escalations and focus on a better contracts mode(they keep saying they ARE, so I'll give them benefit of the doubt), which is lacking at this point, and do more elusives w/unlocked suits, weapons, etc. (at least 1 a week). They should have left Contracts mode exactly the same as Absolution (the only good thing about that game)

wankerlicious
15th Jul 2016, 12:43
I hate them. Boring, repetitive,tedious. Nothing more than filler. I find nothing enjoyable about them whatsoever. I have no interest in arcadey, childish leaderboards , so no point. They keep putting them out because they are probably simple to make on their end. I played,trudged through about 15 of them (just for the useless SMG Tac unlock, a gun that doesn't even work!), but stopped suffering through them after they stopped giving unlocks. They might be tolerable if they were re-worked, starting them at level 5, instead of reloading & having to do every step every time. As for elusives, they are a little better, but I haven't been all that impressed. out of the 5 so far, only the forger & the prince have been halfway decent. Will anyone in their right mind actually go back and replay escalations once they've finished them? To each his own, but I'd rather watch paint dry. I wish they would forget about escalations and focus on a better contracts mode(they keep saying they ARE, so I'll give them benefit of the doubt), which is lacking at this point, and do more elusives w/unlocked suits, weapons, etc. (at least 1 a week). They should have left Contracts mode exactly the same as Absolution (the only good thing about that game)

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However, there's a lot of good things and tons of potential in this game as well.

Just really wish they would focus more of their resources on the things we actually like. I mean even the Elusive Targets (for me.) Take like 10 minutes flat and then u can never play it again..

I have been more fascinated in trying to complete a mission in suit only than any of the 'modes' they offer.

Swixel
15th Jul 2016, 13:00
The latest ET took me <20 minutes from scouting to SA SO takedown. What kills me is some of them have so many ways I want to try out and I know I only get the one.

Some of the escalations are great (The Kotti Paradigm) and some are downright terrible. The ones that give you a puzzle with enough freedom to enjoy them, but excess rope to hang yourself, are really fantastic (again, The Kotti Paradigm, though even the new one to a degree).

I also get the feeling they take far less time to knock out an escalation than an elusive target, and not just due to video production/editing (though that's probably pretty minor). So I can understand that, and it does add a bit for the people who like them -- sometimes that's me, regularly not though.

I also think Escalations could be really great if/when IO gives us the ability to throw game changers into our contracts -- it'd certainly spice up the featured contracts if we had lasers or mines on certain runs. They'd be a preview of what we could do in contracts.

Beyond Escalations there are the community elevated feature contracts -- they're mostly, absolutely, at the wrong end of what I enjoy. They've turned into a series of more or less the same problem played out in different places. Mercifully, if they're going to use them to gate content (unlocks) the only requirement is that the people die -- not silently, not cleanly, and not with the right weapon or suit. If that changes then I hope the quality increases, because I'm more than a little tired of "KO X, become X, kill X while pretending to be X", and the role-swapped killing (e.g. the plumbers). Limited freedom in how we do things is really played out here, even more so than in the escalations at times. Again, maybe once we get more in contracts mode (maybe even dropping weapons to use around the level or messing with static items?) this will change, but right now Featured Contracts went from a bit of fun in my book to people using the same handful of generic tricks to take people out.

Anyway, I know that might all sound harsh on the community but I don't hold them responsible for the fact that there's only so much they can do in the editor right now. It's a sad fact, but it's going to mean the featured contracts lean heavily on cyclic runs (Kill X as Y; kill Y as Z; kill Z as X, etc.) and other gimmicks. Escalations on the other hand are typically not too bad (except when it's something insane like accident kill + hide the body -- why did that get released? seriously, why?). ETs, sadly, are one-hit wonders, so for all of their potential they're dead to me (all puns always intended).

RW_Slick
15th Jul 2016, 22:19
While I agree that the leaderboards can go scratch, I have come to like Escalation Contracts.

I think of them as training. IO has actually gone on record as saying that they want you to game the system, but I prefer to play a little more realistically. My runs tend to be a little longer as I am not going for a leaderboard score. All I am really trying to pull off is Silent Assassin. The Teague Temptation was challenging in that aspect and I did learn some new tricks. The current Marrakesh one is bugging me, but I will finish that as well.

Swixel
16th Jul 2016, 02:49
That's a very good point. The Escalations force you to do certain things you otherwise wouldn't/couldn't know about (i.e. because you weren't forced to do them or haven't watched someone stream it (live or recorded)). But their repetitive nature can be rather frustrating when they don't really go anywhere and the compilations are purely synthetic (e.g. land mines just slow you down, but were rather well done in at least one). But as I said, I don't mind some; it's just others that are just frustrating because of the combinations -- they really do introduce very linear play (e.g. there's really only one way to get a clean accident with a hidden body). The few really restrictive ones aside I did learn, over time, that the others which seemed to be locked down are typically just a side effect of not knowing the level as well as the designers, which prompts in-depth learning, bad scores, or weird workarounds (like knocking out half a floor). Then others still allow you to be creative. I think my issue with them is they're so far apart -- some are really fun (creative and/or clever), and others are just locked down forcing you to either spend a lot longer doing it or following the (sometimes obvious) linear path.

As for contracts, I really did love the first time I saw costume switching, but we're getting way too many of them now -- and I think I'm spoiled by escalations; I want different playstyles, so it really might be too much of a good thing in the featured, so by the time I got around to the prisoner-and-other-guy, or the two plumbers, costume switching was annoying.

wankerlicious
16th Jul 2016, 18:19
UPDATE: Just finished the Elusive Target. Followed him down the street until he came to the initial spawn courtyard. Shot him in his face and ran.