PDA

View Full Version : I cannot be online at Hitman 2016...

Sonsav
7th Jul 2016, 10:03
I just buyed the game this morning. Firstly, everything was fine. My system can run the game, easily. And also, the game is wonderful. But, I CANNOT BE ONLINE AT HITMAN SERVERS. However, I have got internet, and I can use internet. Even so, I cannot be online. I took a screenshot of the connection error, link is there: http://s.imajino.com/i/jw7RAgw.jpg I will be very glad, if you help me.

NOTE: Problem is not about anti-virus protection, because I tried.

Immadummee
7th Jul 2016, 12:30
I'll try and help you out but you need to answer these questions first, please.

1: are you hooked up with wired or wireless internet? If wireless, try wired. If wired is unavailable and you only have wireless, are you close enough to the router?
2: console (which one) or PC? (Nevermind, I just saw with the pic it's PC)
3: can you play other games online during this time that you can not connect to Hitman servers?
4: which country are you in?
5: try rebooting your router (unplugging then plugging it back in after 10 seconds)
6: open up your ports.
7: are you 100% sure it isn't your antivirus? Did you turn it off completely?
8: try again in an hour or 2.

Sonsav
9th Jul 2016, 07:11
Thanks, i will answer your questions:

1-wired internet.
2-yes, it is pc.
3-yes, i can play other games online while i cannot connect to hitman servers...
4-turkey
5-i will try rebooting router.
6-i did not understand "open up your ports"??
7-i am using eset nod32 antivirus 8. i did close antivirus temporarily for ten minutes. then i tried again to connect servers, but it did not work. so, i think it is not about antivirus.
8-i am trying two or three times in a day already. :)

can you say any other idea from my answer, except fifth one. i will try it. :)

Melaphine
13th Jul 2016, 13:39
I have been trying to access the game for the past three days & keep getting that disconnected from the servers message. I am playing on xbox one. I have hard reset my console multiple times & reset my router. Neither seem to work. I managed to get connected once yesterday but it kept disconnecting. I was connected for less than a minute. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me. I've never had connection troubles before. I've been playing it since release.

jimbianco
13th Jul 2016, 19:44
I have been trying to access the game for the past three days & keep getting that disconnected from the servers message. I am playing on xbox one. I have hard reset my console multiple times & reset my router. Neither seem to work. I managed to get connected once yesterday but it kept disconnecting. I was connected for less than a minute. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me. I've never had connection troubles before. I've been playing it since release.

they may be preparing servers for Friday's elusive target, or it may be the usual IOI server problems we've been having from day one. I rarely play the game anymore. Until fixes are put in (hopefully on the 19th), it will be gathering dust on my PS4 hard drive. Frankly, I'm bored with it.

Swixel
13th Jul 2016, 21:07
I apologise in advance for the length of this, but there are a few moving parts.

7-i am using eset nod32 antivirus 8. i did close antivirus temporarily for ten minutes. then i tried again to connect servers, but it did not work. so, i think it is not about antivirus.

If it's a complete block it could be anti-viral with partial firewall/filtering, a firewall, or bad routing. If it's intermittent it's more likely something doing "internet protection" style services (e.g. ESET's ESS). In both cases it could be your connection (in various places or ways), but I'm looking towards the easier fixes...

Anti-viral/firewalls
Rather than turning it off, can you add an exception to it? (Some applications know this as an "exclusion"; depending on your localisation/language it might translate to either.) You want things that might be blocking Hitman to ignore it (at least to test it). NOD32 has (in some builds) the ability to block, filter, or scan traffic for applications. So that's why an exception is more likely helpful -- I don't know if the ESET application setup is still like it used to be (i.e. one for filtering and one for anti-viral), but if it is there's a chance disabling the anti-virus wouldn't do it. My understanding was they split it out of NOD32 into ESS at some point, but I can't remember why -- I personally avoid NOD32 as it can be troublesome. (For anyone else having trouble: other anti-viral and anti-malware applications can also do this.)

Beyond NOD32 the question is do you have ESET ESS (their "Smart" filtering system)? If you do you'll need to add yet another exception. Same goes for most other firewall software, Killer NIC's Software, and so on. The one exception is that the Windows Firewall doesn't block outgoing unless you clicked "Block" when it first asked. It's worth checking if you haven't already.

At a technical level, because of various things, it shouldn't be this (it really shouldn't), but because of the way certain applications perform their scanning it's possible they're messing with things. (I raise this because I've already helped several people with ESS products add exceptions ... some had intermittent issues, some had complete blocks; ESS is doing a little too well on the paranoia front for Hitman, but exceptions/exclusions usually work.)

If a developer or admin reads this, yes, there are specific filtering mechanisms that are causing the game to break on ESET NOD32 and/or ESS setups. Some systems can bypass this with exceptions, but without them knowing why most people aren't going to even think about this (because most other games work out of the box).

Ports:
Since Hitman (the client) establishes a TCP stream (i.e. it uses an outgoing method to establish a connection) you shouldn't have to worry about opening ports. The servers in question talk to it through TCP, not UDP, so ports are most likely irrelevant -- you'd have to have a pretty problematic/broken setup for opening ports to matter here. Latency, likewise, is sort of a non-issue beyond timeouts of the protocol itself, but if you're reaching that point you have bigger issues with your network connection and you'd likely have noticed before now. (Of course if your scanning (AV/firewall/filtering) software adds a few seconds to it due to the game's overhead on the CPU then that is the bigger issue.)

Quality of Service (QoS):
This is a bit of a wildcard, but it could be an issue depending on other network traffic. It could also impact consoles as it's a setting typically configured on the router. (I raise this only because it has been a problem for a couple of people who were getting intermittent issues. This is usually only part of the problem, unless you have a very busy connection.)

If you have QoS enabled in your router disable it (at least temporarily). There's a chance (albeit small) that it's throttling the protocol Hitman uses -- virtually no domestic QoS setup is going to auto-detect a game's protocols, and in the case of Hitman it'll be downgraded against others unless you already know the protocol and have elevated it. If disabling QoS solves this please make sure you reply here saying it -- it's kind of important people know if it's a problem. (The downside to disabling it is it might impact VoIP services and other things, again, depending on your connection and its common use. Sadly, you might have to re-enable it for those services.)

If you're thinking that I know something I'm not saying: yes. I know the game's protocol, where it connects, what it sends, and what it receives. I know this because when I got the game I had my security settings so it blocked it and I had to diagnose the issue. (I neither know nor care how the servers work internally, but I can guess based on what I know of the client; I do know where they are, and that they're more likely than not innocent of this -- they're on a good/solid/reliable host.) But for developers or admins reading this: yes, the protocol can and has been the cause for certain systems blocking it.