PDA

View Full Version : FM Series: Lord Ashton, Night's Stroll, Escape

Lytha
7th Jul 2002, 14:16
I just wanted to say that I love these FMs! Especially in Escape, the architecture becomes really gorgeous. :)

I'm definitely looking forward to see more missions by Christine. :)

So, after this relax from staircasing, back to my dromed.

ChristineS
7th Jul 2002, 15:11
Thank you, Lytha, I'm glad that you like the Missions. :)

The 4. Fanmission is ready, I have released it today. But only in german. Kyloe is working on the english translation. So it's coming soon in english, too... :)

Lytha
7th Jul 2002, 16:38
Woohoo! :)

I will wait for Kyloe's translation then. It is too irritating for me to have the texts in German while the guards are talking in English. :)

Do you plan to make a mission pack out of the entire series?

ChristineS
7th Jul 2002, 17:04
It's often confusing me, when I'm playing english fms. I have the german version of Thief Gold and Thief II, hear the guards talking in german, some comments from Garrett are in german, some in english, new sounds in english..... It sounds often funny to play english fms with the german version of the game....:)

I have no plans to make a mission pack of all 4 fms. I don't know how to do this, because in some of the missions I have overwrite some of the gif-files. :rolleyes:

Kyloe
8th Jul 2002, 05:48
I haven't even started yet, because I've had a cold and I couldn't concentrate properly.

Lytha I thought you'd have the German version of Thief 2 by now, if only for comparison. I know I have. ;)

Kyloe
8th Jul 2002, 10:05
OK, I'm done now.

Lytha
8th Jul 2002, 10:42
Hello Kyloe! :)

Christine,

I have the English version of the game, and so the irritating effect of some soundfiles and texts in German, some in English occur for me only when I play non-English FMs. Since I speak or understand both languages, it is not as weird as the Japanese FMs; in those, I never know what I am supposed to do at all!

But to see a blackjack called "PrĂ¼gel", or to hear Garrett say something in German on occasion is surely like an eye opener; that causes a nice "heads-up"-effect, because it's something unusual in the routine of the life as a taffer. ;)

Now I am curious about your next mission. If it's as good as the first three were, I wil enjoy it a lot! :)

ChristineS
8th Jul 2002, 12:41
Thank you, Kyloe :)

Lytha,
the 4. fanmission "Revenge" is ready now, I have uploaded it to Epithumpia's server and I think he will update his site tonight. :)

Nightwalker
8th Jul 2002, 14:12
That's fantastic news, Christine! We didn't have to wait long at all for the 4th mission in the set. I'm going to have to wait a couple of days to play it, because I'm betatesting a couple of missions, but it's going to be hard! :D

Lytha
9th Jul 2002, 17:25
Mhm, very sweet again, Christine! And the end looked like you have further plans for the storyline. :)

I liked so far the feeling of Abendspaziergang best, then came Flucht, Rache was equal to Lord Ashton for me. I had a problem to get a guard open the gate for me... first, he walked into the gate; afterwards, he chased me all around the map (2 times), as if he was set on "never forget where the player is."

I had also a harder time in Rache to find the quest item, I ended up with bashing the door open because I could not find a button and could not make the picture do anything for me.

But no matter, it was still a very cool mission, and your architecture becomes definitely better and better! :)

Was it in the first missions also already possible to frob the toilets? :D

ChristineS
9th Jul 2002, 17:35
Thank you, Lytha,

you can open the gate, when you hit the little red button with an arrow. :) The cook has the key to open the picture, behind the picture is the lever to open the door :)

The toilets are only frobable in the 4. Mission, the bathroom objects are made by schwaa, he has made an update....:D

Keeper Collins
11th Jul 2002, 22:12
I've siad it once on the old borad and I'll say it agian on the new borad.Cristene,you FMs were GREAT!!!!!!I loved them!!!!!There were so many new objects and so many new pepole and so many other new things!I really loved the new loot objectes and the new blood stanis.They really added just the right touch.And now you say there is a 4th mission already begin translated?I hope it's a sequel to ur other missions cuz they were asamoe!I can't wiat!

ChristineS
12th Jul 2002, 05:31
Hello Keeper Collins,

The 4. fm "Revenge" is a sequel to the other 3 missions. You can download it at Epithumia's Site (http://thief1.math.uh.edu/thief/missions) . I hope you 'll like it...:)

Speedy[143]
12th Jul 2002, 06:58
You do beautiful work... the rain was a nice touch.. and I was very pleased that your sushi actually added to my health...

I had a little problem finding the sword.. it ended up being the last objective to check off so I didn't get to slash any banners this mission.. but I did BJ a ton of guards hehehehe:D

Took me 1 hr 13 mins on hard I found 6763/7058 in loot and ended up with a bunch of stuff in my inventory.. just the way I like it:)

Revenge could be easliy expanded on by having some interaction with Leon (he's cute) and there's plenty of places to explore that weren't frobbable (is that even a word?????) Are you planning on a 5th mission in the series???? I hope I hope I hope:D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

XXXOOO
Speedy

ChristineS
12th Jul 2002, 08:09
Hello Speedy,

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it.:) I have some ideas for part 5 and Leon (perhaps Peter will guess what I mean ;) ), but I'm not sure if I will do this. At the moment I'm working on a mission for a teamprojekt called Night Falcon. I won't start working on part 5 as long as I'm working at the night falcon. Perhaps next year, but I really don't know it by now... :)

For the Loot: have you been in the tower near the burricks?

Lytha
12th Jul 2002, 13:05
Hehe, I had the odd feeling that there might be some loot behind some of the windows.

Christine, I hadn't found the secret room with the broadheads when I had my problems with the front door. Water arrows did not seem to open it (no poke stim? Is this button a S&R thing? - always on the hunt for S&R ;) ), and I did not want to use my rope arrow for the switch. Now after the hint, I replayed it and it was very smooth, quick and easy... hm... maybe important items such as a few broadheads for a switch should be in the open.

Hmm... Speedy, you're a woman too, right?

Odd. Is it a female thing to enjoy stealing all these non-loot, non-equipment goodies? Though it was maybe a bit silly (just imagine all the weight of all the food!), I took everything with me in all of the missions. :D And I loved it! :)

Speedy[143]
12th Jul 2002, 16:25
Oh my yes.... many many times... like Lytha I had to out run a few guards who were bound and determined not to let me shake 'em... so I'd lead them back there and when they'd turned their back... "BJ" time... hmmmm loot at the top of the tower... I remember getting something from up there (besides a good view of Leon) but loot behind the windows???? I must check that out:D

Night Falcon? *grins* can't wait!!!!!

Yep I'm a woman too Lytha... very nice to meet YOU:) I'm not exactly sure why us ladies like to get _it_all... could be the little girl easter egg hunt thingy.... it's just plain FUN!!!!! The whole Thief thing really appeals to females though... you can tell by how many there are of us here.... ChristineS once told me she is one of the only woman at the German forum (if not THE only one) Those German girls don't know what they're missing heheheheh

XXXOOO
Speedy

Nightwalker
12th Jul 2002, 17:04
I didn't find anything in the tower, which I thought was weird. Any clues about what I'm looking for and where to find it, up there?

Speedy[143]
12th Jul 2002, 17:12
I just went back in and started from scratch since I saved over that part of the mission and there was nothing in or up there... you can put the oil lamp out and see a pretty good overview of the map but that's it... I did find that I'd overlooked a fancy plate in the kitchen of the Inn so my loot went up another 10 but I'm still short 285.... maybe there's something in the tower on one of the other difficulty settings... other than hard????

XXXOOO
Speedy

ChristineS
12th Jul 2002, 17:27
Originally posted by Nightwalker
I didn't find anything in the tower, which I thought was weird. Any clues about what I'm looking for and where to find it, up there?

ohoh...Nightwalker you're right, you allways the best.:) . I must have it forgotten, sorry....:rolleyes:

@ Speedy

Loot: in Lady Helena's House: have you found the coin upon the bookshelves in the serversquartier; the ring in the toilet, it lies on the windowbeam; the jewellery upon the bookshelves in the office; the finewine and goblet under the little tabel in the room near the office....
You can open the 2 unfrobable doors, but it needs 200000 Hitpoints.. :D There is nothing behind...
Since some days we have another woman in our forum, she is one of our betatesters, I'm so happy about that... :D

@ Lytha

Waterarrows won't work, but the firearrows should work too. Have you found them in the bookshop? :)

Lytha
12th Jul 2002, 17:48
Fire arrow in the book shop? Hm... it appears that I found only less than half of the well hidden stuff. ;)

But shooting a fire arrow at the button will definitely alert these front door guards, and then it is just like bashing my blackjack against the door: they will come to investigate, and open the gate for me, after a while. A precisely aimed broadhead did not even kick them into the "musta been rats" state, I think.

I think I will give this mission another try when the roombrushing&detailwork gets too much on my nerves. :)

Or I give the entire series another try right from the start! It was easiest in Lord Ashton to find all the quest items, I think... absolutely intuitive and player-friendly. :) It became trickier in the following missions, but there were always hints (or the possibility to bash the suspicious unfrobbable door open *grins* :D )

Huntress
15th Jul 2002, 23:30
I'm currently playing Revenge and having a pretty good time with it. I had a little difficulty with some of the guards and had to reload a few times to finally get myself in the best position to do my little run-up/bj/hide body and wait for the next one to replay the sequence, LOL You really needed to be in the right spot to do this without alerting the guards patrolling with each other, etc. The only awake guards (that I know of) are the two directly in front of the main entry to the Lady's Mansion. I just could not knock out one without alerting the other and knock him out before he could start beating on me with his sword. I did find my sword pretty quickly and easily and maybe on my way out, they might get a taste :D I saw Leon but right now don't know how to make my way up to him? I also want to know about the balcony you see from the tower. I saw it from below as well and tried many times, many angles and cannot make my rope arrow work. It does look like a real room you should be able to gain entry? I could hear my arrow strike wood but no rope appeared? I also had a lot of trouble in the Hotel bar area...really difficult to get all four civilians without one escaping to call for guards...finally managed it but no way to pick-pocket the Lord for his key w/o BJ'g first :( I am playing Easy mode...but I just stick my head into that doorway pretty much and I was spotted and they started running for help. Don't know how anyone could get close enough to pickpocket?

Ha, ha..I had a merry chase going on at one point in the game over by the Hotel...funnier than h3ll...but all in all, I lost the race :eek: and had to reload...I did lose one at one time and the other followed me into the hotel. I went downstairs and waited near slot machines...but he got stuck up on the landing area and when I went up to see what had happened to him...I saw and then he saw me and got unglued. I died....

There was also that door with the private sign...couldn't open it no how nor find a way into it. Maybe with sword in hand or maybe now with another key I now have will open it? I haven't found the Lady yet and I'm suspicious that's where I'll find her? She doesn't seem to be at home...the rude woman...let me wander all over her place and no welcoming glass of mead to greet me :( :D Your so sneaky...with those bottles of wine! And the frobbable bathroom fixtures...now you need to add water to them and some sound bytes ;) I also fished a bit in her tub...got two on my string..LOL and with one shot each! Too bad I couldn't use sword in water...ha ha

So this new FM your helping with...is it a Thief game or something else? I too will look in anticipation for your next installment...but don't tarry too long...T3 is coming....Ta and Good Hunting!

ChristineS
16th Jul 2002, 05:39
Hello Huntress :)

The key for the door with the private sign in the Hotel has the nobelman, who is walking arround in the hotel. It's the main key. Open the door and go up the stairs, here is also the room with the balconery, which you saw from the tower. :)

To find Lady Helena, you should take a look at the bedroom. Frob the little picture on the fireplace, that will make the painting of Karras move, the lever behind will open a secret door. Go in and frob the switch, it will take you directly to the Lady...

The mission on which I'm working now is for a Thief II Campain about 12 missions in series, called "Night Falcon". I hope we will release it before Thief 3 comes out... :D
Good hunting (and fishing ;) )

Huntress
16th Jul 2002, 06:11
Karras picture open up but when I saw switch up close, it said on/off and was in off position...I thought it was for an alarm so I left it off... :D OK, I'll go turn it on...LOL

Key for the room upstairs marked Private...Only key I saw and got was from the Lord...I did BJ that nobleman as the second civilian I saw after kitchen servant...but didn't see a key I don't think at that time...I believe the next key I got was in the mansion..simply marked "a key". That's the one I figured might be for the Hotel room??? I just know whatever I had to try and open that door wasn't working at the time.

Your 12 mission project sounds great and will be a welcomed addition when it's done :) Keep us posted on your progress and screenies as they're available ;) How many of you are working on it? Are you all friends in Germany that got together to do this?
I certainly wish you all great success in it's completion :)

Ta and Good Hunting!

ChristineS
16th Jul 2002, 06:31
Hello Huntress

Two of the nobelman in the hotel have keys. The man in the bar has the key of the lord and the man who is walking around in the hotel has the main key. This key will open every locked door in the hotel... had you let him escape with it ? :D
The key in the manison is for the painting which hide the lever to the secret room with the sword :)

I have made some screenies from the mission in progress, I'm waiting, that our admin will update the page...:D We are 10 thief-fans, who are working at this project. We have meet in the german thief-forum of von.Eins. Hrothgar, the autor of "A Night in the Pub" is also working on it. Much work to do...:D

Nightwalker
16th Jul 2002, 12:09
The new missions sound great, Christine! I hope they'll be translated into English for us like your own missions were. I'll look forward to seeing the screenshots, too. :)

Speedy[143]
16th Jul 2002, 18:15
That's a mouth full....

I hope Kyloe's one of the 10 working on them:D

Hrothgar's, "A Night in the Pub", was a great mission... just the combination of YOU and him would make for some beautiful missions add 8 more peeps to the list and it sounds like a WINNER!!!!!!!!;)

Good luck with the project and please do keep us informed.... maybe even a new teaser thread would be nice.... Thanks for the info:)

XXXOOO
Speedy

Kyloe
16th Jul 2002, 19:36
Actually, I'm not. But does that mean that you liked my translations?

Me, I'm never happy with what I wrote. I see so many mistakes and bad usage when I look at the texts again. I really think a native speaker should make the final version.

Nightwalker
16th Jul 2002, 19:43
Your translations are EXCELLENT, Kyloe! You do a terrific job. :)

Speedy[143]
16th Jul 2002, 20:58
Originally posted by Kyloe
......does that mean that you liked my translations?

It most certainly does... you get 10 hammers from me for your work on the German FMs Kyloe... without YOU I couldn't play them:(

So... thanks again!!!!!!:D

XXXOOO
Speedy

Huntress
17th Jul 2002, 22:03
were a most important ingredient to our success of playing her missions Kyloe and I do hope your able to participate when the time comes. Otherwise, would almost be unplayable for many of us! Your efforts were very appreciated and certainly well done :) Thank you and look to hopefully find your name added to the list of contributors to these missions :)

Christine, I finished Revenge the other night and really did enjoy this map...and for me I think I did pretty good on the loot total...only $128 short and for the life of me can't figure out where the rest was. I was all over that place and more than once too, LOL However, I'm satisfied with what I was able to find as I'm not one of the players that make it their goal to find all :) I just do the best I can in that dept. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Kyloe
18th Jul 2002, 06:43
Thank you all. It's always nice to see that the effort wasn't in vain. When it comes to translating the new missions, I'll be available to Christine. But maybe they'll want to make the English versions themselves.

ChristineS
18th Jul 2002, 07:46
Thank you, Kyloe, that is very good to know :) . We haven't talk about the english translation until yet.
We are mainly working on the architekture at the moment... I spent the last days and nights with an ugly Dromed-error (Lytha knows it from the other forum), my mission is too big, I had to make it a little bit smaller....oh, sometimes Dromed is making me mad... :D
Congratulations, Huntress...do you get all the fishes...;)
BTW, do the firearrows work by fishing, I haven't try this...:D

Lytha
18th Jul 2002, 08:31
Yes, and I'm sorry that I was so unhelpful, but posted my vague ideas anyway. I guess I was rather confusing with my wild guesses.

Belboz had the answer now. Pathfinding database... who would have known... :)

Huntress
18th Jul 2002, 20:13
I don't know Christine...didn't try it...I just used a couple of broadheads and didn't want to use anymore for fear of needing them for guards...or???? Same with fire arrows...thought I got them to use for the lady...since she was stronger that was first thought to be... :eek: Maybe in a harder mode of play you might have needed them but as it was.."It was too easy" LOL I stayed inside the cubicle for the translocator and shot the fireball from there but really didn't see her till after a few moments when she walked over in that direction, searching around to see what happened. Then I waited for her to get settled and shot her with a broadhead and she went down...objective completed. :)

Then when I went back out to main gate...I tried sneaking past those two guards with sword in hand...I was dark and quiet but they alerted to me anyway. I lost that fight...so on reload, I stayed near opening of gate and shot one guard with broadhead and had shot the second guard...but although I hit him at least three out of four shots...he then ran down the stairs looking for help..heh heh...but no one was there to answer his call! I then eventually found him and finished the job with my sword...heh..no damage to me either. :D So then I went back up to door to meet with Leon...Mission Competed. :)

I still have your first mission to play however, as you may recall, I started with the second not knowing it was...so I still have that to play plus a few more that I've downloaded in the past couple of weeks or so, as well as other games I have to finish, etc. Plenty to do so I can pass the time till others come to their final stage and release! Thanks for the ride and will be in the waiting line for "Falcon" Ta and Good Hunting!

ChristineS
19th Jul 2002, 13:18
Hello Huntress :)

Good luck for you visit to Lord Ashton's. I hope you'll like it...:)

ChristineS
20th Jul 2002, 07:37
@ Lytha

It's very strange: I have sent the cow-File to the admin of our project and he gets no error, he even can built more.... We think the problem belongs to my system. I'm using Windows ME, he is using Linux....:rolleyes:

Lytha
20th Jul 2002, 09:10
Dromed works under Linux??!

Hm... maybe it has something to do with your RAM or processor speed; and he has a super-machine? I know that I wouldn't have attempted to build something really big (i.e. CL) on my system...

Odd. How about this one then: always work inside of area brushes, portalize and optimize them alone, put the objects into them, and let your team leader optimize and build the pathfinding DB before you place the AI?

ChristineS
20th Jul 2002, 10:05
Hi Lytha,

that's a good idea, I'm glad that this mission is finished , but for the one I'm working now....:D . I fear it will also be very big....