PDA

View Full Version : Why I feel I have paid for something I can't enjoy.

XavierBB
16th Jun 2016, 16:33
Dear Square Enix.

I must admit at first sight I did not think the game would be good. Hitman Absolution, although not made by you, was a low and almost convinced me to stop encouraging the series.

Then I saw updates, footage, dev diaries, etc. It looked great, in many ways it was reverting back to Hitman Blood Money, which is all good in my opinion. I was a bit disappointed when you announced 9 levels only though, as most Hitman levels can be completed in a matter of minutes once you get good, it seemed the game would be a bit short. The game is not replayable as of the moment since the missions, once done, will always be the same. There is little to no randomness and I had no difficulty beating every level so far.

I was relieved when I heard about elusive targets (you knew it would come up). Elusive targets were very appealing to me, but that was because I didn't understand them very well. You see, I thought these targets would be cyclical, coming back every month for example, therefore making it a one shot deal, but renewable. I totally agree that the elusive feature is a thrilling one, making the player doubt every single move he makes, making him stress. That made the game so much better. Until it didn't.

You see, I realized I payed a fair amount of money for a game. The game in itself does not have a lot of replayability, which is an inherent risk in video game purchases. But your team had a very interesting idea (elusive targets), and it spends hours of work, modding and even voice acting for next to no reason due to the way too elusive way it works. I don't have the best computer. I don't have the best connection. I don't have a lot of leasure time in life. I am not the best player either, I tend to get killed way before I see the target. So I paid a fair price for a game that in retrospective does not completely fit my social class and my agenda.

Briefly, I love the idea of the elusive target. I admire the time and money you spend to create those, but I can only feel you waste a lot of ressources due to the temporarity of these, as well as I wasted money on something I won't be able to use. A lot of new players to the series are repulsed by the elusive targets one shot deal, since they are not good and fail easily.

I suggest you should make these targets periodical in order to give the game longevity and replayability. I am afraid to come back to this game in 2-3 years once I have a better computer and more time and see a hundred elusive targets I couldn't even try. I don't want this game to die as soon as you stop making elusive targets, I want it to continue being playable after you end support and I want your spent efforts and ressources to be worth it.

Sincerely,

a concerned fan.

jimbianco
16th Jun 2016, 18:30
You see, I thought these targets would be cyclical, coming back every month for example, therefore making it a one shot deal, but renewable. I totally agree that the elusive feature is a thrilling one,

they have made it clear since day one, elusive targets are a one shot deal. The WHOLE point is that they will never return again. How many times must it be explained? There is the restart option on elusive targets as long as you don't get killed first. No where, ever have they said they are "renewable"

You see, I realized I payed a fair amount of money for a game. The game in itself does not have a lot of replayability, which is an inherent risk in video game purchases.

it sounds like you are not getting what Hitman is all about, assuming just because you completed all challenges doesn't mean it's over. Try out your own new methods. Hitman games have always had a ton of replayablity (other than maybe Absolution because it's so linear, but then that game has a superior contracts mode than new game)

I can say this with all honesty, no matter how many times I play Hitman games, there is always something new to find. I thought I was exhausted with Marrakesh, and I just found some new things I never knew where there! Blood Money still, and I have played that hundreds of hours! I suggest watching some gameplay on you tube. VanillaBeast, Kotti, AlexNiedt , etc. A new crazy easter egg was just found in Sapienza involving skeletons, there's always something.

ProfessorHojo
16th Jun 2016, 19:01
Thanks for the feedback, XavierBB! We believe the game has plenty of replayability for players, we're even producing regular Live Content to keep things fresh and exciting with our Escalation and Elusive Target contracts. Certainly, we can understand your frustration with the latter if you're not around during these events, however, they were designed to be as close to the Hitman fantasy as possible. Having a short window of opportunity at any given moment is comparable to a real life scenario.

Re-releasing the targets for those who haven't attempted them at all is something the devs will have to consider at the end of Season One. They've worked hard to make each target unique and interesting, and personally speaking as a gamer it would be a shame to never see these again - but that's also the charm of the Elusive Target! One shot. No second chances. It can be quite thrill playing the contracts and the immersion and one-off experience would be lost if we made them replayable.

I've shared it before but this clip from the Game Maker's Toolkit sums up what we've been aiming to achieve with the game quite nicely: 5N4U46QOyeA

Something to bear in mind is that we're relatively new to this episodic release structure and might do things wrong from time to time, but it also gives us and the community a chance to re-shape the game into the ultimate Hitman experience. Your feedback is helping craft the future of Hitman and now is a better time than ever to be involved in the game!

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, and please keep the feedback coming!

XavierBB
16th Jun 2016, 20:57
@ jimbianco

they have made it clear since day one, elusive targets are a one shot deal. The WHOLE point is that they will never return again. How many times must it be explained? There is the restart option on elusive targets as long as you don't get killed first. No where, ever have they said they are "renewable"

I never said I read it anywhere, but I thought the scandal about the one shot game (Can't recall the name) made it clear the gaming community wasn't financially interested in one chances deals. It is not a question of re-explanation, I understand these clearly, it is rather a question of there role in the replayability of the game.

it sounds like you are not getting what Hitman is all about, assuming just because you completed all challenges doesn't mean it's over. Try out your own new methods. Hitman games have always had a ton of replayablity (other than maybe Absolution because it's so linear, but then that game has a superior contracts mode than new game)

I beg to differ, I understand this series very well. This opus of hitman brought back 2 pilars of it, notably : Free-roaming and exotic locations. I also know that replayability is a pillar of the game. As of now, I feel there is little replayability mainly because of the number of missions. I am very pleased with these locations, the scenery is wonderful, maps are large and varied, and that's what leads me to the realization that the elusive targets take advantage of that and give enormous maps more action. Which brings me to my initial thought :

Elusive targets are a wonderful tool, that has an enormous potential. This potential is somewhat hindered by the volatility of those targets. Which brings me to the next answer.

@ProfessorHojo

Certainly, we can understand your frustration with the latter if you're not around during these events, however, they were designed to be as close to the Hitman fantasy as possible. Having a short window of opportunity at any given moment is comparable to a real life scenario.

I understand the real life thrilling. But it has a limitation to the fun it provides. No one at home is the perfect assassin and failing these elusive targets everytime because they can't prepare and practice makes us feel even worse. Playing with the absolute fact that if you fail you fail forever is a stressful (in a bad way) experience. Knowing that if you fail you can't try again until the next month is still a big consequence, probably enough to stress the player. During the next month, they could try to find why their plan failed, draw a new one and test it the next month ! The video (Very good btw) talked about repetition. It sparkled many memories of maps I tried a 100 times to perfect my approach, notably approaching the Japanese castle in Hitman 2. I love the repetition. It is the simpliest representation of replayability.

So, we are on track that replayability is the fuel that makes a game live. Your game has enormous potential in that regard, more that 99% of games out there. But the elusive targets system doesn't fit with that replayable mentality. Elusive targets don't allow the repetition mentionned in the video. Especially with time stamps.

Re-releasing the targets for those who haven't attempted them at all is something the devs will have to consider at the end of Season One. They've worked hard to make each target unique and interesting, and personally speaking as a gamer it would be a shame to never see these again - but that's also the charm of the Elusive Target! One shot. No second chances. It can be quite thrill playing the contracts and the immersion and one-off experience would be lost if we made them replayable.

I mentionned earlier that I would enjoy the elusive targets more knowing that they would come back in a month or two, on fixed days. Of course it wouldn't be as spontaneous as it is right now, but I assure you you would see spikes of game play on those recurring days. It would depreciate a bit the experience for some players, but I feel it would accentuate the experience and make it available to a lot more players. If that isn't an option, I would still urge you to integrate the elusive targets in the game someway. Because of all the work, the background characters, things that have made the franchise incredible, all that goes into the abyss so fast...

If having recurring targets gets old, at least having a ticking box allowing to combine targets on the same map, making missions harder, making combos more interesting, etc.

I really am thrilled if we can have a civic conversation on the potential of that wonderful mechanic you thought of. I profoundly believe it could become a landmark of the hitman franchise. But in my opinion, temporarity and time stamps are playing against it.

From a concerned, but devoted fan to help the franchise.

RW_Slick
16th Jun 2016, 21:42
You can take offense to this if you want XavierBB, but I am DEAD serious:

Rule #1 of writing a complaint letter to a company: Be respectable - that part you have on lock, great job
Rule #2: Write out your letter and proofread it before hitting send - You may not have the best computer or connection, but everyone has SPELLCHECK! You even have the ability to edit what you wrote here!

And here's the killer:
temporarity - NOT A WORD

I am surprised Hojo even entertained you. Not for the above reasons, but because there are a ton of threads about Elusive Targets. It seems you do understand the point of ETs, but do not grasp the idea of "this is the game that they made - DEAL WITH IT."

I myself am not thrilled with having to hop online on a Tuesday night after work to make sure I do not miss the target. Regardless, I want those bonus suits and with four confirmed kills, I am one ET away from the Absolution suit. You have to accept that in life, not everything is going to go exactly the way that you want it to.

jimbianco
16th Jun 2016, 22:46
I am really curious on how what they plan to do with these IF there is a disc release. I would like to see them just added as small side missions, or even better added to story missions as "optional" hits. (like Flatline in Blood Money), More content in story mode the better, but I doubt it.

jayinatlanta
17th Jun 2016, 01:51
XavierBB, I appreciated three things about your response to Hojo:

1. Good point about replayability. ETs by their very nature both add to replayability -- giving us something else to do in the game -- and detract from it, since we know we may never be able to replay to try a different type of kill (unless the ETs come back as future DLC, which I've supported).

2. I hadn't thought of it exactly the way you did, but I also agree if we knew the ETs were coming back for another short interval, it might be even more exciting to try a different kill. Good point.

3. I actually had to look up "temporarity" because it seemed just crazy enough to be a word descended from quantum physics. Frankly I like its mash-up of two concepts of time. (Also, replayability doesn't come up in my spellchecker either but it's now a gaming word; maybe Hitman ETs will succeed in spreading the concept of temporarity. ;))

doom-generation
17th Jun 2016, 03:03
I myself am not thrilled with having to hop online on a Tuesday night after work to make sure I do not miss the target. Regardless, I want those bonus suits and with four confirmed kills, I am one ET away from the Absolution suit. You have to accept that in life, not everything is going to go exactly the way that you want it to.

This is what I come back to every time I see someone complaining about having to do the Elusive Targets at a time when they may not want to. If you'd rather be doing real life things, great, go do that. If you'd rather have those bonus suits, just get it done as quick as you can, youtube it, whatever. Pick one, either one.

XavierBB
17th Jun 2016, 16:19
@RW_Slick

I'm sorry my writing offended you. I actually made that word up. In French, which is my native language, we create words to express ourselves better quite often. You still understood my point as I see it, therefore I achieved what I wanted. :) For the second part of your message, I tend to disagree. They do not make the game for themselves, but rather for the people. Being part of said population, and I'm sure devs would back me up on this, I am encouraged to use my liberty of speech and give my opinion about what I identify as flaws of the game. In no way am I disrespecting the devs and their game, I simply point out things I believe could be ameliorated. This is a process that we call '' peer review '' .

@jimbianco

Now that you mention it, yes ''Flatline'' was a special mission in that regard. I would love to see the Elusive targets being introduced as side targets, maybe even choosable ? (I might have invented another word, don't panic) Like ticking boxes so that you choose how many of them would be in Sapienza at the same time, creating great variability and possibilities. Although, I have to admit that this would be rather messy and would completely destroy the ''Elusive'' factor. Food for thoughts. Thank you for your reply.

@jayinatlanta

Thank you for your support and reply. Temporarity was a freelance translation of the French word «Temporalité», which means exactly what you'd think : The character of something that exists in time. Time being infinite, temporalité further designates things that have a beginning and an end. I used it in a very broad manner, but hey, it worked.

@doom-generation

I absolutely understand your point of view. The point of view I prefer to value is that a lot of ressources are put into such contracts and it goes down the drain as quickly as it happened. I believe the concept is very interesting, but could be more adapted to the Hitman community. In my experience, playing all games from the beginning, this is a very perfectionnist community, and one-shot deals don't seem to fit the minds of perfectionnists. My point is that Square Enix could fulfill the will of a lot more players by making it a more available feature rather than a one-shot deal.

Thank you all for your replies, it helps me forge my point of view and every viewer's too. As of now, the conversation is mostly very polite and I'd like it to remain that way.

doom-generation
17th Jun 2016, 16:43
@doom-generation

I absolutely understand your point of view. The point of view I prefer to value is that a lot of ressources are put into such contracts and it goes down the drain as quickly as it happened. I believe the concept is very interesting, but could be more adapted to the Hitman community. In my experience, playing all games from the beginning, this is a very perfectionnist community, and one-shot deals don't seem to fit the minds of perfectionnists. My point is that Square Enix could fulfill the will of a lot more players by making it a more available feature rather than a one-shot deal.

Yes, a lot of us are perfectionists, and if the Elusive Targets were truly "one-shot", they could be very frustrating. You may not realise it, but as long as the target is still alive, you can choose to restart the Elusive target mission at any time. So you can make planning runs and figure out the target's routine and behaviour before you go for the kill run. They don't advertise this fact, but it's there.

jimbianco
17th Jun 2016, 18:02
They don't advertise this fact, but it's there.
very true. In fact, Torben at an E3 interview flat out said "one shot, no restarts". Not true at all . He's a good speaker, and salesman, but I take everything he says with grain of salt.

RW_Slick
17th Jun 2016, 21:51
XavierBB - you did not offend me at all. Ultimately, I was offering advice on how to get your point across to a company, not to me. I cannot change HITMAN and those that can will only really take notice if you go about it the right way. Even though I disagree with you, I thought that, for the most part, you went about it the right way. I applaud you for that. Most people on here do not voice their complaints the right way (will not name names).

As for disagreeing with me, that is 100% cool. Forums are here for us to debate stuff. Please carry on.

Driber
18th Jun 2016, 13:02
FWIW, I thought your post was just fine, XavierBB. I seriously doubt one single word not currently appearing in the Oxford dictionary (although it sounds like it should be!) would cause the devs to notice your feedback any less. Especially since said devs are not native English speakers themselves :)

ProfessorHojo
18th Jun 2016, 19:18
So, we are on track that replayability is the fuel that makes a game live. Your game has enormous potential in that regard, more that 99% of games out there. But the elusive targets system doesn't fit with that replayable mentality. Elusive targets don't allow the repetition mentionned in the video. Especially with time stamps.

If we made the Elusive Targets replayable they'd be exactly the same as standard missions/contracts and we would face criticism for a lack of game mode variety.

jayinatlanta
19th Jun 2016, 03:35
Not really, Hojo. Even initially, and in his follow-up, Xavier is offering a mode that is different than a main mission playable at any time, different than an escalation, and different than an always available contract.

I do praise Hitman in that the modes you have are all different enough from each other. But, variety would still be served (and perhaps even served better) by having a mode where players knew the ETs would come back at some indeterminate other point in time. I submit that'd be acceptable to the vast majority of players.

Producers/designers/devs are certainly welcome to listen to those who want to make the ETs basically impossible with ever increasing security -- "I did this one in 2 minutes, make it harder next time" -- and never appear again. I will tell you I believe they're the minority of the people who love this franchise and pay for it to continue, and IO/SE should be less worried about their criticism.

doom-generation
19th Jun 2016, 16:41
If we made the Elusive Targets replayable they'd be exactly the same as standard missions/contracts and we would face criticism for a lack of game mode variety.

^ This. I really like them as they are, playing them just feels different to any other mode.

Hitman_Limerick
19th Jun 2016, 18:04

What about the fact that, obviously, it's a videogame, and have the elusive targets available after Release, for those who haven't attempted them, due to real-life responsibilities. And by "available", i really want to mean: "able to be chosen at the players' discretion"... it's Still a Bonus for those who have had the time and internet connectivity to play them while they were active, but imagine those who work 40++ hours a week and have kids, and hockey practice and games, winter shoveling, and now the summer is here so the "toss-up" between a BBQ with my own family or sitting in my "Man-Cave" for an hour+ when it is dictated to me that i MUST, isn't really a toss-up after all, no disrespect ;).

I pre-ordered the game, knew exactly what i was getting even when i thoroughly played the beta, it was a test, all in all, that i was willing to try and while i'm not an "ace assassin", i managed to work-around my way to completing the 3 tests without getting spotted. Now that i have played Paris, Sapienza, and Marrakesh (still haven't completed Marrakesh, as getting to the Banker Target proves very difficult, even in a security uniform), i absolutely love the locations, but also from a game designer's POV, with a heavy history in level design, the NPC behavior doesn't vary much other than posts and patrols... In a "Perfect World", ALL Elusives would have a separate Level, IMHO, because knowing routes to take is simply mind-memory exercising. while any popular games basically has the same mantra, i feel like One Location for 4+ Hits is dissatisfying, and then the Escalations, where you have to do a handful of tasks, starting with ONE Task, leading up to the handful, all in the same fashion... You find a Formula that works, you repeat until the Escalation is done, and then regret even bothering, at least it feels that way to me.

TL;DR 7 Locations for over a dozen "Missions" is difficult to pull off, and you've obviously made most people happy, but some arent. Also, there are some of us who can't find the time to sit down when an Elusive Target is Active, so making them available Post-Release, hopefully "At-Will", for those who haven't tried them, which can be tracked via Profile, would be a very nice thing to do for the part of the community who can't balance videogames and family on a MUST-DO Basis as far as ET's are concerned.

ProfessorHojo
19th Jun 2016, 21:57
Thanks for the feedback guys, you're making some good points here! Like I mentioned earlier, (personally speaking) it would be a shame not to see the Elusive Targets again because of all the hard work that's gone into them but they work as a one off experience. Making them available for everyone is a harder task.

We know that with the usual 48-hour window we won't be able to please everyone, but discussions about what to do with them after the season is finished will certainly take place. Making them infinitely replayable might sour the original experience though because of the thrill factor. I can only see two reasonable options:

1. Make them all available again. BUT only the ones you haven't attempted and you still get one shot, no second chances etc...
2. A Gears of War style event rotation system. Each weekend is a new event/target.

What do you think?

jimbianco
19th Jun 2016, 23:31
as getting to the Banker Target proves very difficult, even in a security uniform)

Hint: "Konnie Engstrom, please report to reception desk"

XavierBB
20th Jun 2016, 17:49
Thanks to doom-generation, jimbianco, RW_Slick, Driber, ProfessorHojo, jayinatlanta and Hitman_Limerick for participating in the discussion.

@Hitman_Limerick

As much as I agree with your point of view, I can't help but think that the seven locations are very well elaborated levels, much bigger in size than anything we've seen before and much more detailed than any past level too. Seven does seem small, but so much work has been put into these, I can't say I think it is too little. The elusive targets are an interesting way to use parts of these immense levels that otherwise are not the most used, just like the church with The Prince in Sapienza. I see these elusive targets as good assets in a way that they required an iota of work compared to a full level, while at the same time procuring a varying amount of additionnal gameplay. I come back to this sentence every so often : Elusive targets are a wonderful tool to give more replayability to the existing levels, but limiting them as much as they are right now forbiddens us to use them at their full potential. Thank you for your well constructed message !

@ProfessorHojo

As I said in a previous message, but maybe not as clearly as you have put it here, I'd go for #2. I believe this way the game could manage to maintain a good level of players for a longer time, way past the release of the final episodes. But as always, that is my personal opinion and in no way am I revendicating anything. :) Thank you for your multiple messages, feeding the thread in a very constructive way.

jayinatlanta
21st Jun 2016, 02:43
Thanks Prof. I'd be very happy with either #1 or #2. But I'd prefer #2 because I suspect even those of us who succeeded at a specific target the first time may want to try again with a different method, or watch any parts of their path we missed, on a rotating basis. Plus for those rare assassins who succeed with every ET, #2 offers them something even if they don't want to play again.

Tomzgun
21st Jun 2016, 16:27
I can somewhat contribute to this with his opinion regarding Elusive Targets, I too began my first one and accidentally got mowed down before I could even find my target and I died and paused instantly to find I could not restart only exit the mission to which I sat in pause and turned off my PS4 hoping the game wouldn't recognise this and starting it back up I noticed it was ''failed'' and the other 2 I had not even began which had about 80 days + left on them were now gone and I couldn't even attempt them, yes I am a new player and this is my first hitman although I feel we should get to see them again for people like us as we are still learning in a way and this is actual missions from you guys which we love! nonetheless great game I very happy with alot of aspects of this game like the ability to create our own contracts which is so awesome and adds TONS of REPLAYABILITY in my opinion anyway.

Tomzgun
21st Jun 2016, 17:59

That is nonsense... we need these for the rewards and also having these up rather than none at all is not a LACK of game mode variety at all this infact adds to replayability... what are you talking about!?

Or you can add an option to let us restart them once we die... I had died in one and restarted the game to find it was ''failed'' (of course) and the 3 remaining ET's I had left and not even attempted were now classed as "missed"... I've had this game for 2 days.. this is my first game of the series and if this is the case expect me to longer be supporting your title in future.. this is content I am missing out on that I have paid for.

jimbianco
21st Jun 2016, 19:02
Or you can add an option to let us restart them once we die... I had died in one and restarted the game to find it was ''failed'' (of course) and the 3 remaining ET's I had left and not even attempted were now classed as "missed".

it's amazing how many people just do not understand the meaning of "elusive", and cannot comprehend "once they're gone, they're gone". The problem would be alleviated if they were being released more frequently to placate players. At least one elusive per week.

RW_Slick
21st Jun 2016, 23:07
What is amazing to me is that people don't seem to realize something: We got four elusive targets in the span of a single month. I had to double check because I write articles for all of them. The forger appeared on Friday, May 13 and The Sensation last Tuesday, June 14. In ONE MONTH, we got 4.You need ten to get all the suits and HITMAN will not be done until November at the earliest.

ON TOP OF THAT, We have not found out which Gary we are gonna kill yet and he will likely be an Elusive Target. There will be enough opportunity for everyone to get the suits.

Tomzgun
21st Jun 2016, 23:47
What is amazing to me is that people don't seem to realize something: We got four elusive targets in the span of a single month. I had to double check because I write articles for all of them. The forger appeared on Friday, May 13 and The Sensation last Tuesday, June 14. In ONE MONTH, we got 4.You need ten to get all the suits and HITMAN will not be done until November at the earliest.

ON TOP OF THAT, We have not found out which Gary we are gonna kill yet and he will likely be an Elusive Target. There will be enough opportunity for everyone to get the suits.

You are all forgetting the major ERROR here... I ONLY STARTED ONE ET to which I FAILED BY GETTING KILLED BY A GUARD BEING STUPID (I am new first game just got it 2 days ago) NOW OK FINE I FAILED 1 BIG DEAL BUT I HAD 3 ET'S REMAINING THAT I HAD NOT EVEN ATTEMPTED TO WHICH WERE CLASSED AS " MISSED " DESPITE NOT EVEN PLAYING THOSE OTHER 3... NOW I'VE MISSED OUT ON 4 TOTAL DUE TO THIS STUPID ERROR OR GLITCH.. DON'T YOU GET IT.

jimbianco
21st Jun 2016, 23:59
You are all forgetting the major ERROR here... I ONLY STARTED ONE ET to which I FAILED BY GETTING KILLED BY A GUARD BEING STUPID (I am new first game just got it 2 days ago) NOW OK FINE I FAILED 1 BIG DEAL BUT I HAD 3 ET'S REMAINING THAT I HAD NOT EVEN ATTEMPTED TO WHICH WERE CLASSED AS " MISSED " DESPITE NOT EVEN PLAYING THOSE OTHER 3... NOW I'VE MISSED OUT ON 4 TOTAL DUE TO THIS STUPID ERROR OR GLITCH.. DON'T YOU GET IT.

what stupid error or glitch? The elusive targets are timed. Only available limited time. This has been known since the game was announced. You just got the game 2 days ago, so you missed those. Do YOU get it? And if you mess up , just restart before getting killed.

doom-generation
22nd Jun 2016, 01:31

I believe Gary Busey won that vote.

Settle down. "Missed" means you missed them, I don't know what part of that you think is an error...

what stupid error or glitch? The elusive targets are timed. Only available limited time. This has been known since the game was announced. You just got the game 2 days ago, so you missed those. Do YOU get it? And if you mess up , just restart before getting killed.

^ This.

Tomzgun
23rd Jun 2016, 17:42
I believe Gary Busey won that vote.

Settle down. "Missed" means you missed them, I don't know what part of that you think is an error...

^ This.

The fact I am not even able to attempt them is missing out on content and in return stopping me from obtaining rewards that I WANT to unlock... so they are obviously not accounting for noobies to the series and latecomers by the looks of things.. what a shame.

And the Error was that infact they were playable before stating 80 days etc to complete and once I failed one ET and restarted my console in hopes to get to replay it I found the other 3 were now classed as Missing despite being available pre restart of my PS4... that is the error.

JDMHatch_G
23rd Jun 2016, 18:59
The fact I am not even able to attempt them is missing out on content and in return stopping me from obtaining rewards that I WANT to unlock... so they are obviously not accounting for noobies to the series and latecomers by the looks of things.. what a shame.

And the Error was that infact they were playable before stating 80 days etc to complete and once I failed one ET and restarted my console in hopes to get to replay it I found the other 3 were now classed as Missing despite being available pre restart of my PS4... that is the error.

If it helps you, think of the Elusive Targets as a reward for people who bought the game/invested in IOI in the beginning.

Those that invested in the game without reading months worth of reviews and uhming & ahhing over whether to buy it or not.

The fact that they displayed as available and then disappeared is a bit crappy, i'll admit, but then it sounds like a simple unforeseen display bug. If i've understood you correctly, you bought the game after missing all of the targets' deadlines and it still let you play the first one anyway? I'd say count yourself lucky.

doom-generation
24th Jun 2016, 00:46

What is this 80 days you speak of?

XavierBB
27th Jun 2016, 21:43
Hi everyone, OP here. I had to be elsewhere for a time, I'm in fact surprised I didn't miss an ET ... (Bit of a joke, guys. :) ) Thank you to jayinatlanta, Tomzgun, jimbianco, RW_Slick, doom-generation and JDMHatch_G for your contributions.

@jimbianco

I think people very well understand the meaning of ''elusive'', but at the same time it doesn't make sense to them. My entourage and I have spoken a bit about Hitman the other day and a lot of frowns and questions came up relatively to the elusive targets, most people saying that it wasn't a logical way of improving a game. More on that in JDMHatch_G's response, if you want. :)

@RW_Slick

Yes, 4 targets in a month. It's a fairly good number, but it won't get any faster from here, in fact it will just slow down over time (which is normal). The thing is, people were skeptical about Hitman following Absolution, as I was. Therefore, the player data base is probably not at it's best right at the launch, especially for an episode-style release, a lot of players will wait until more episodes (if not all) episodes are released. Was the episode-style a good choice ? That is an entirely different matter, but the ETs don't seem to line up very well with the sales of the game. More on that in JDMHatch_G's response.

@Tomzgun

If possible I'd like everyone to stay as partial as they can, therefore I would kindly ask everyone to be careful with their comments and the use of caplocks. This goes for everyone. I know this whole thing until now is quite frustrating, I am very aware of it, but this thread is to open a discussion on that topic, rather than do some bashing. Could you enlighten us on the subject of the 80 days bug ? I don't know it.

@JDMHatch_G

Welcome to the thread ! I understand your point of view and often thought about these early ETs that way, but after some reflection, I came to think this was not a good strategy. You see, if this was the strategy, it is a double edged blade. As early gamers will feel ''rewarded'', late gamers will feel ''penalized'', just like myself. It might be a deterrent for some people who might think to themself : ''Since I missed (Or will miss) a big part of the game, what's the point of buying it ?''. I remember an exemple of time exclusive content that didn't go so well. Overkill had made the promise after Payday : The Heist to not introduce temporary (Back at it with the temporary) content in Payday 2, but they did at some point. Without going into details, let's just say the fanbase didn't enjoy it at all and an overall loss of player base. I do not want this to affect the Hitman franchise.

@doom-generation

I don't know that 80 days story either ... maybe Tomzgun can help us understand it.

Thanks again everyone for this very interesting thread.

StarbuckTK
3rd Jul 2016, 23:14
Hi, I agree with the OP, feel the same way and would appreciate to see the ETs appear again periodically.