PDA

View Full Version : Restarting elusives

jimbianco
8th Jun 2016, 16:28
Why is this allowed? In case we get disconnected? Doesn't make sense. Takes pretty much ALL tension out of elusive targets. Get spotted, chased? shot at? just restart!!! Simple. Just another on the long list of things not making any sense with this game.

ProfessorHojo
8th Jun 2016, 20:16
Why is this allowed? In case we get disconnected? Doesn't make sense. Takes pretty much ALL tension out of elusive targets. Get spotted, chased? shot at? just restart!!! Simple. Just another on the long list of things not making any sense with this game.

We have that feature in case of an emergency and for those who disconnect. We try not talk about or mention it as people will abuse it. Once 47 dies or the ET has been killed there is nothing we can do from that point, you must escape the level. We understand that it eliminates any tension out of the ET contract - if you're aware of it - and are trying to improve this so the game mode can be as difficult as intended.

doom-generation
9th Jun 2016, 03:12
I actually don't mind it. Sure, it steals some tension knowing you can restart as long as the target is alive, but I like following their route, hearing their dialogue and backstory, and then going in for the kill.

RW_Slick
9th Jun 2016, 06:59
I do not think people are going to complain about this as much after they see the setup for Elusive Target #3.

JefTheReaper
9th Jun 2016, 07:27
Well even tough its unfortunate if you lose your connection, just being able to do the elusive target once is kinda the idea about the elusive target.

All things considered tough, I do hope that after the entire game is finished and all live content has passed, that all elusive targets become re-playable permanently (would be kinda a waste if +50 elusive targets can never be done again)

have to admit it can really make me angry, failed my Silent Assassin for the last Elusive target due to a glitch.
I was trying to knock out all guards in the sewer's to go into the catacombs and take out the target with fiberwire when he would come there, but when I tried to subdue Mario in the sewers, he turned around and suddenly engaged me in combat.
Its really annoying how the subdue detection is so glitchy if the terrain is even a little bit uneven.

I got exposed due to that so I just decided to simply snap his neck, use my silver-baller to just shoot every guard in the sewer instead (faster) and then shoot the target the moment he came in the catacombs, then run out and leave by speedboat.

Still got the target, but horribly disappointed for not being able to get that SA rating.

I think I'm going to make a few contracts on killing Mario and Luigi...

JDMHatch_G
9th Jun 2016, 11:53
This game is FAR too buggy to even consider removing the ability to restart elusive targets.

Besides, no everyone who wants to restart (or replan) is doing so because they messed up, it's nice to be able to change the equipment you have taken with you. Especially considering the info that Diana gives you is completely useless...

My favourite was from last nights target - "The church is surrounded by guards - nothing you won't be able to handle"

Also, if you are spotted by someone who isn't related to the elusive target (for example, Mario in the sewer) then there's no reason you wouldn't be able to restart as the target has no idea something has gone wrong?

JefTheReaper
9th Jun 2016, 12:46
Thing is I will stand with IO/Square Enix on this one,
Elusive targets are only meant to be done once, a fail is a fail.
And I feel the people who lose this chance due to a bad connection, as that sums up my past in games with online experiences pretty well.
I've been there, and I felt that punch to the face of your game telling you it lost connection to the game's servers.

Even so, the whole point about the elusive targets is that you only get one shot.
Like real life, if you muck it up, you have to deal with it and find a way to get to your goal while trying to solve the mess you made, even if by accident.

All I can ask (and keep repeating) is that just after all the live content has passed and the game is complete, all elusive targets juts need to be made available permanently (infinite chances, all of them, whenever you want)
allowing people who missed there shot/failed the mission/have connection problems can still complete the mission then, and unlock those extra outfits / get the silent assassin rating.

But right now I stick with the "one shot only" policy.

I don't completely like it myself, and I would not mind failing due to screwing up, (I do mind failing due to bugs)
as that's part of the thrill of just getting one shot at this without knowing a lot of details.

JDMHatch_G
9th Jun 2016, 13:02
Nobody that likes to complete games is going to purchase this game, or any other game with similar game modes. IOI are missing out on a percentage of gamers and therefor revenue, simply due to the elusive target set up.

It was a nice idea, but it doesn't work for me (a completionist) as far as i'm concerned.

RW_Slick
9th Jun 2016, 14:49
Most "completionists" these days are trophy/achievement whores. I happen to be one of them. Those who wait for a disc are not going to be affected by missing Elusive targets as there (currently) are no trophies or achievements related to them. The costumes they unlock will likely become paid DLC later or be included on the disc and a lot of those people who wait will possibly not even know about ETs. If you wait, you miss out, bottom line. This is a fun extra for early adopters, that is how I look at it.

JefTheReaper
9th Jun 2016, 17:03
Nobody that likes to complete games is going to purchase this game, or any other game with similar game modes. IOI are missing out on a percentage of gamers and therefor revenue, simply due to the elusive target set up.

It was a nice idea, but it doesn't work for me (a completionist) as far as i'm concerned.

I'm a completionist too, tough I draw a reasonable line at some point (as some game's really make these impossible challenges nobody can do unless they have no life and all the time in the world)

Hitman challenges however are easy enough, and It hurts like hell that I failed the first elusive target and failed my SA for the third one, BUT.
I still enjoy the elusive target system regardless, all I'm asking is that after the full game is released and all live content is passed that the elusive targets become permanently re-playable (so I can get my perfect score and collect all achievements at some point)

Most "completionists" these days are trophy/achievement whores. I happen to be one of them. Those who wait for a disc are not going to be affected by missing Elusive targets as there (currently) are no trophies or achievements related to them. The costumes they unlock will likely become paid DLC later or be included on the disc and a lot of those people who wait will possibly not even know about ETs. If you wait, you miss out, bottom line. This is a fun extra for early adopters, that is how I look at it.

Kinda think that's fair tough, I mean the people who play now contribute to the game by paying the full price of the game, and taking part in the live content/community of Hitman.
Its only fair really, you support the project by buying the full price, and you get a polite "thank you" from the dev's in the shape of fun little extra's.

Comparing it to building a house, if you go to help out, even in small ways, you get a little extra in return as well,
If you show up 2 years later while they are placing just the last bricks in place, well don't count on a pat on the shoulder for being late and not contributing until its already to late to help.

ProfessorHojo
9th Jun 2016, 18:24
Kinda think that's fair tough, I mean the people who play now contribute to the game by paying the full price of the game, and taking part in the live content/community of Hitman.

You've hit the nail on the head there! The game has changed since it first launched on March 11th and that's all down to community input. We're listening to your thoughts and are trying to create the ultimate Hitman experience with the fans in mind and it's important to get involved during this season if you want to contribute.

RW_Slick
9th Jun 2016, 18:28
And I think Hojo just hit it on the head as well. I don't think that marrakesh would have been as soldier heavy if not for our input. Elusive Target #3 DEFINITELY would not be what it is had we not complained that the first 2 were so easy. Even though I said 3 was easy, that is only AFTER you figure a way past all of that security. The security force itself is a *****.

JimC22
9th Jun 2016, 20:31
I hope all that other feedback- i.e. comments here- are paid attention to as well. It's definitely the last time I pay for an episodic release that isn't so much 'evolving' as 'trying to stay afloat'. A fair number of people are justifiably furious at having tossed money down the drain.

Agarwel
9th Jun 2016, 21:29
I dont believe restarting should be possible at all. And even releasing elusives later would be against the while idea of this mode.
But I would love to see some compromise. Releasing elusives as they are. But then also periodically release new normal replayable targest with modified level somehow (new guards etc like with the last elusive).
Currently we have just two missions on each map (main and sarajevo six). Then all other modes just let us kill already existing npc. So there is no new surprise or situation to explore.

Imho the new elusive and elusive targest should be released 1:1. One week elusive. Next week new replayable mission etc.

RW_Slick
10th Jun 2016, 00:21
Dude, if you can bang out a mission in a week, WHILE you are developing a new level, I suggest you go click on "careers" at the Io_Interactive website.