PDA

View Full Version : Tired re-hash of previous ideas executed poorly.

JimC22
6th Jun 2016, 17:32
'Silent Assassin' did the 'exotic bazaar' atmosphere far better than this limp offering. The ubiquitous American voices (or the almost-identical Burnwood English accent) have convinced me that the budget for this must have been fairly low, or that there is no concern for quality at all. I'm coming around to the idea that more care was involved in Absolution.

This is a work-in-progress where all meaningful improvement has clearly ceased. Waiting a month for a fresh lump to be served up. Dire.

RW_Slick
6th Jun 2016, 18:04
Then why are you waiting for said lump?

JimC22
6th Jun 2016, 18:26
Due to the fact that I've already paid for it. It might get better, but this is the weakest offering so far in a set that really does seem to be an exercise in sustained mediocrity.

jimbianco
6th Jun 2016, 18:30
The bottom line is they were rushed to put it out . It just wasn't, and still isn't ready. The care goes into it as much as Absolution, but it seems the budget was cut in half, and they don't have enough staff. The accents are inexcusable. The British voice is actually the woman doing Burnwood. I hear Traci Lords alot also. She's the voice in the consulate heard through the loudspeaker. As for Kimmett the frog, and the other generic guard voices, blah. I'm sick of hearing them. I'm almost to the point of turning all volume down! The straw that broke the camel's back was when one of the Moroccan soldiers said "Semper Fi" as I ran by....!!! It's just amazing and so utterly unbelievable they put that in there. The music score on Morocco doesn't fit properly, it's exactly the same as the other missions. No creativity behind music score at all regarding locations. That's why they put in the Arabic music on the radios in the market. Not the fault of the composer, it's all in the hands of the dunces that made these decisions. I'd be really surprise if we got a "season 2"

doom-generation
6th Jun 2016, 20:33
'Silent Assassin' did the 'exotic bazaar' atmosphere far better than this limp offering.

It was the better "empty bazaar", I'll give it that much.

The bottom line is they were rushed to put it out . It just wasn't, and still isn't ready.

Marrakesh feels pretty ready to me. I'm not saying it's perfect, the glitchy CCTV cam in the Consulate for example, but there's nothing offensively wrong with it.

The accents are inexcusable.

Well they are not likely to change, not this season at least.

The music score on Morocco doesn't fit properly, it's exactly the same as the other missions. No creativity behind music score at all regarding locations.

There is at least one new piece of the score with this episode. And I thought it was really good, actually.

JimC22
6th Jun 2016, 21:27
The excessive crowding on every level does not a good game make, and gets tedious. Rehash with large, cringe worthily-voiced masses NPCs if you prefer. The levels so far lack any atmosphere in comparison with previous games- your mileage may vary, but HITMAN's levels feel like demos. Presumably, we'll have nice big crowds of English speakers to look forward to in a month's time, too.

doom-generation
6th Jun 2016, 21:47
The levels so far lack any atmosphere in comparison with previous games- your mileage may vary, but HITMAN's levels feel like demos.

Wow, our mileages most certainly vary! :eek:

JimC22
6th Jun 2016, 22:09
The 'no wound decals', etc., don't help counter this impression, and nor does the frequent patching, although I feel that these details are minor in the grander scheme of things- fixing them wouldn't fix the rest of the botched job. When I look at the contrast in level atmosphere in Silent Assassin, Contracts or Blood Money, these levels seem bland and uninspired.