PDA

View Full Version : Episodic Content has Left me Salty

bornblind
4th Jun 2016, 05:54
Let me preface this by stating that I'm an avid fan of many SQUARE ENIX franchises going back decades at this point. I'm also a massive fan of the Hitman series who has enjoyed even the worst that series has to offer.

That being said I was really disappointed to learn that the new Hitman game would be episodic. It seems that much of the criticism that was being leveled at SQUARE as a publisher was well warranted. Not only does the story feel convoluted and jarring at times but the gameplay does as well. All sorts of useless metrics constantly flashing between levels and loading screens are seemingly there to get you to continue playing the same mission over and over. This feels less like a Hitman game and more like some sort of mashup Hitman themed series of demos.

I couldn't even bring myself to complete the first mission originally. Knowing that there was literally nothing after this mission even though I had spent the 60$ for a "full Hitman Experience" Now that 3 episodes are out I figured I would give it a try. Despite having decent gameplay and polish the game just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I completed the first mission in roughly 30 minutes and while I can see there is more to this single level than say certain Hitman levels in past games it still left me wanting more.

What you guys have done to Hitman is really pretty sad and I assure you that in an era where bad raps can stick for years that you guys aren't going to meet your sales goals. As someone who spends a ton on games and is really vocal online when it comes to this sort of shady crap I can assure you the damage is done. The game is exactly what people feared it would be and it's really a shame you chose Hitman of all franchises to try out such a terrible pricing scheme.

RW_Slick
4th Jun 2016, 07:08
I am with you on episodic content, but only in general. I 100% disagree with your feeling of this game. Not only is it challenging and fun when you finally get it right, IO has thrown in the most random comedy that makes you want to see more. I don't (personally) see how you could dislike the game. Is it perfect? Absolutely not; it has been full of flaws from day one. The thing is that we complain about the bugs and glitches and most of them have been addressed, making the game even better.

While I am dreading the episodic release of Final Fantasy VII Remake, it really works for HITMAN. For me, it makes the game a little bit more realistic, especially with the Elusive Contracts. To each their own, but I think if you really throw yourself into the game that you would like it.

ProfessorHojo
4th Jun 2016, 18:34
We can understand some people's frustrations with the episodic release but believe it is the best foundation for the future of the series. Can we ask, what is it you wanted more of? Your feedback is welcome.

Also, if you get a chance check out the following clip, we think it sums up what we were aiming for quite nicely:

5N4U46QOyeA

jimbianco
5th Jun 2016, 00:39
Episodic never really bothered me. It's the lack of "story mission" content that disappoints. Side objectives ala "Temple City Ambush","A New Life","You Better Watch Out", etc- retrieving files,video tapes, taking pics of victims as proof, grabbing vials, more targets (3 or 4 a mission). If Elusives come 2 or 3 a week, fine, escalations I have no interest in unless we're unlocking something of use in story mode, and contracts mode (until updated) is pointless in playing. More specific requirements needed, but I understand IOI are working on Contracts mode, so we'll see. And then there are the bugs, now we are missing blood decals 50% of the time since 1.07 update. On the good side, it seems the ps4 framerate has become more stable on Sapienza in spots, but still very bad when you poison the street performer. I play unlocked rate because there are no cam. sensitivity settings, camera in locked framerate is too sluggish. The art of the game is excellent. It's just too no frills as far as basic features (47's health is virtually zero(2 shots and dead),can't use instinct while running,can't throw guns,no pushing down stairs,NPCs/guards have ZERO hearing when sneaking up behind,and the dreaded server issues).

RW_Slick
5th Jun 2016, 00:44
^^^^Legitimate complaints presented in an intelligent manner. Need more of this in the forum.

jimbianco
5th Jun 2016, 00:44
"Repetition", yeah I keep trying over & over to connect to servers, and after about 25 times, I get it!!!! Only to have it go down after 40 minutes.

doom-generation
5th Jun 2016, 00:49
We can understand some people's frustrations with the episodic release but believe it is the best foundation for the future of the series. Can we ask, what is it you wanted more of? Your feedback is welcome.

Also, if you get a chance check out the following clip, we think it sums up what we were aiming for quite nicely:

5N4U46QOyeA

Fantastic video, sums up better than I could have why I really like this game.

JefTheReaper
5th Jun 2016, 16:43
Let me preface this by stating that I'm an avid fan of many SQUARE ENIX franchises going back decades at this point. I'm also a massive fan of the Hitman series who has enjoyed even the worst that series has to offer.

That being said I was really disappointed to learn that the new Hitman game would be episodic. It seems that much of the criticism that was being leveled at SQUARE as a publisher was well warranted. Not only does the story feel convoluted and jarring at times but the gameplay does as well. All sorts of useless metrics constantly flashing between levels and loading screens are seemingly there to get you to continue playing the same mission over and over. This feels less like a Hitman game and more like some sort of mashup Hitman themed series of demos.

I couldn't even bring myself to complete the first mission originally. Knowing that there was literally nothing after this mission even though I had spent the 60$ for a "full Hitman Experience" Now that 3 episodes are out I figured I would give it a try. Despite having decent gameplay and polish the game just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I completed the first mission in roughly 30 minutes and while I can see there is more to this single level than say certain Hitman levels in past games it still left me wanting more.

What you guys have done to Hitman is really pretty sad and I assure you that in an era where bad raps can stick for years that you guys aren't going to meet your sales goals. As someone who spends a ton on games and is really vocal online when it comes to this sort of shady crap I can assure you the damage is done. The game is exactly what people feared it would be and it's really a shame you chose Hitman of all franchises to try out such a terrible pricing scheme.

Tough I am also struggeling with the episodic part and the fact that the game is still having a lot of bugs, there are actually 2 big reasons I don't complain to much about it,

1: First time I saw the news of a new Hitman game coming out, I was pretty much scared as hell that this would become a Absolution 2, and the Hitman franchise would be forever off the rails.
the fact that the developer's actually listened to the fans and based the new Hitman more on blood money and past installments, only using a few of the good aspects of Absolution has me very happy as the Hitman series is back on track.

2: tough there are a lot of bugs and the game is episodic,
notice that the dev's ARE fixing a lot of the problems as well, and are adding improvements, tough I still have a long list of how things would be a lot better if applied differently, they are using the money from every episode to keep fixing and adding on to the game.

I already placed my list of what I would love to see added on to Hitman 2016 in the future, all I can do is hope they will at least try to add some of those idea's and changes to the game before its final completion,
but right now? I'm actually pretty sure my pre-order money was well invested.

JimC22
6th Jun 2016, 23:35
'best foundation for the future of the series'

If it's being suggested that this format- releasing what seem to be unfinished pieces of an unfinished whole, stripped of the atmosphere and inventive replay value of previous games in the franchise- is the model for future Hitman games, I can't see many folks paying, to be honest. Most people have been sincere, polite and constructive in their criticisms of HITMAN, but few (if any) changes have been made. It feels like a demo for a game that needed at least a year's extra work, more attention to voicing/scripting and some consideration to plot. Difficulties with servers and the like are enormously annoying, but the game itself isn't all that great even when one stays connected. None of it seems fluid in the way that previous games did, and 'escalation', 'elusive contracts' features seem to have left a lot of people cold. It's a letdown that manages to be surprising (in its obvious flaws) and depressing at the same time.

DIEFROMTHECRABZ
7th Jun 2016, 00:05
its not that bad. hopefully we get the final 3 levels in June July and August accordingly. waiting until August for Thailand would be Awful.

tph007
7th Jun 2016, 00:17
Not a fan of this approach either however after playing it i realized it isn't the episodic approach that bothers me as much as the redundancy and the feeling of a lack of content, story and flow. When you finish a mission and have to basically stop, start over, go back to the beginning and do the same thing over and over and over just to get a slightly different kill or ending, it's a bit irritating. I am normally a completionist in games, this one just doesn't offer any real satisfaction in doing so.

Next release I think I will be only doing the silent assassin suit only challenge and maybe a few of the others. But after the last two, after a few times through the challenges, it just is not enjoyable. So basically I will have a single night of play, maybe two.

I found it disappointing overall. I will say I have had a lot of fun doing the suite only assassin challenge, the maps are great but it is just not enough to make the game worth it for me.