PDA

View Full Version : Silenced sniperrifle is useless

HohesHaus
3rd Jun 2016, 08:43
So I figured out, that a silenced sniper rifle is useless. Actuall it should prevent the AI to know where you shoot from, but actually it does nothing, you can also take the unsilenced. Why? Take Sappienza for example, get into the townshall tower, and snipe a target. ALL the guards who witnessed the kill, will run straight up to the tower to search for you. It is impossible to explain how the guards have a clue where I shot from.

IF I would use the unsilenced - OKAY. But for exact that reason (to hide your position) there should be the silenced sniper rifle. Even if you hide behind a wall and just doing a snap shot, the guards will know where you are.

m1911suppressor
3rd Jun 2016, 10:29
Unfortunately you are right. In the new Hitman the sniper rifles are useless anyway, because you can use them only on spots the devs want you to use them. As there is no sniper case anymore, 47 has to carry the large rifle on his back (although being a cook or anything) which attracts attention from every single npc and results in detection. Unbelievable...

Dominemesis
3rd Jun 2016, 14:56
Yep agree, everything in this Hitman, while doing some things pretty well, is still too controlled and overwrought, like only being able to use the sniper rifle from where the devs want, or only with the zoom they choose. It still feels like they need too tight a closed fist on control over what the player might do, and refuse to let things happen in true sandbox, emergent gameplay style.

jimbianco
3rd Jun 2016, 17:43
yes, it needs to be tweaked. This is something they can do too. I found this problem on sniping Zaydan.

RW_Slick
4th Jun 2016, 07:25
I just sniped Zaydan. Yes, the guards came running, but they passed right by me while I was holding the rifle. It is all in how you do it. They cannot get to the sniper nest by the school so they are looking for someone on the headmaster's roof. I was wearing a soldier uniform so they figured I just got there before them. I did not even run, I walked right past them. I even walked across town and got my suit before leaving.

Every location has an outfit you can walk around with the rifle. Don't use it without a soldier uniform on because there is no way (that I can figure at least) to suit only sniper assassin both targets.

Frater000
4th Jun 2016, 13:57
******* adapt.!
Yeah...the supressed sniper sucks from range, so close the distance.!

doom-generation
4th Jun 2016, 15:05
Is it right that he guards seem to know exactly where the shot came from? No. However, it gives great moments like the one RW_Slick describes:

I just sniped Zaydan. Yes, the guards came running, but they passed right by me while I was holding the rifle. It is all in how you do it. They cannot get to the sniper nest by the school so they are looking for someone on the headmaster's roof. I was wearing a soldier uniform so they figured I just got there before them. I did not even run, I walked right past them. I even walked across town and got my suit before leaving.

"Walking right past them" when you are the one they are looking for is the best feeling! Pure Hitman.

Every location has an outfit you can walk around with the rifle. Don't use it without a soldier uniform on because there is no way (that I can figure at least) to suit only sniper assassin both targets.

It's really advice that you shouldn't even need to give. What I don't get it that people want it to be realistic enough that guards don't know where the shot came from, but then don't want it so realistic that you actually have to put some planning and thought into using a sniper rifle. The guards rushing to the shot location has never been a problem for me, because by the time they get to wherever I was, all they are gonna find is the smell of cordite :D I'm gone, the second that shot is fired I ghost it.

******* adapt.!
Yeah...the supressed sniper sucks from range, so close the distance.!

I agree! I think people expect the sniper rifle to be an easy way of doing things but that's the wrong way to think about it. You have to earn that sniper kill.

HohesHaus
5th Jun 2016, 13:19
I agree! I think people expect the sniper rifle to be an easy way of doing things but that's the wrong way to think about it. You have to earn that sniper kill.

Because the game is using a double standart. If you hide behind a wall and you are shooting with your silenced pistol, no guards will know that you have shot. They will only walk to the place where the bullet hit. So that means, they don't hear the shot. Even if you kill someone, they don't know where the shot come from. I "sniped" Zaydan with the silverballer pistol from the opposit side of the building, facing to his office, and no guard noticed something and I needed 2 shots!
If you use the sniper rifle and kill somebody from a far distance, the guards automatically know where the shot come from.

doom-generation
5th Jun 2016, 13:53
Because the game is using a double standart. If you hide behind a wall and you are shooting with your silenced pistol, no guards will know that you have shot. They will only walk to the place where the bullet hit. So that means, they don't hear the shot. Even if you kill someone, they don't know where the shot come from. I "sniped" Zaydan with the silverballer pistol from the opposit side of the building, facing to his office, and no guard noticed something and I needed 2 shots!
If you use the sniper rifle and kill somebody from a far distance, the guards automatically know where the shot come from.

That actually makes complete sense, realistically. Even suppressed, a rifle shot is significantly louder than a pistol shot.

HohesHaus
5th Jun 2016, 14:22
That actually makes complete sense, realistically. Even suppressed, a rifle shot is significantly louder than a pistol shot.

Nope it doesn't. If we go to realism, silenced weapons aren't that silent like in movies or games. You still hear the mechanical movement of the weapon, you still hear a bang from the explosion inside the shell, which sound exits when the shell exits the gun. The only thing a silencer does is to decreas the muzzle flash, and the escaping sound to the front. Good silencers are decreasing the speed of the bullet, so the bang is less noisy.

So the guards MUST hear the pistol shoot right around the corner. Infact all of the people in the building must hear the sound. People right outside the building might thing there just exploted a small fire cracker. Further away it might not noticed.

The silenced rifle on the other hand is far far far more away. People around the church will hear it definately, but people in the mansion might not hear the bang of the gun.

doom-generation
5th Jun 2016, 14:51
Nope it doesn't. If we go to realism, silenced weapons aren't that silent like in movies or games.

Yeah I know, that was my exact point...

So the guards MUST hear the pistol shoot right around the corner. Infact all of the people in the building must hear the sound. People right outside the building might thing there just exploted a small fire cracker. Further away it might not noticed.

The silenced rifle on the other hand is far far far more away. People around the church will hear it definately, but people in the mansion might not hear the bang of the gun.

Yes you're using the rifle from further away, but not so far as to negate the noise it makes. You're sniping at like 100 meters or so in this game, not exactly a long range engagement.

And having people investigate the shot makes using the sniper rifle more interesting, forces you to think about what you are going to do once you've pulled the trigger.

diemaschine
5th Jun 2016, 20:59
It's very useful. The two sniping positions in Marrakesh, school master rooftop and the rooftop where you get the "handy man" disguise, allow you to kill both targets. In Sapienza, the church tower, castle ruins, square tower, allow you to kill targets. The barge in paris lets you kill both targets. You can walk around with the sniper rifle using the right disguises. The rifle is useful and only really needed in those places. The silenced pistols and rifles replace the sniper rifle for shorter range targets.

RW_Slick
5th Jun 2016, 22:39
The Jaeger is not useless. First of all, if a target has (trained) bodyguards and that target catches one in the head, the guards will immediately get down and look around. Unless they are in a wide open area, they will have some idea where the shot came from. A real sniper is not going to waste their exit window killing the guards because that is like waving a flag saying "HERE I AM!" All the shots are coming from the same direction. Need proof of that, watch Full Metal Jacket.

If you use the Jaeger 7 the guards are on to you if they are there when the shot hits. If you use the LANCER, everybody is on to you, guards and civilians.

oneyouhate
9th Jun 2016, 00:18
Sniping a guard in the head with sniper rifle from rooftop behind safe house, his partner runs from steps of the church all the way to safe house, opens the locked door just to die by me and give me his clothes.Used his clothes to get into Morgue to choke out the church worker and take his disguise to get into the church and toss exploding golf ball at the back of todays elusive target.

Knowing that the silenced sniper rifle will always bring you a disguise is useful, but would be nice to have a touch of reality, you and your work partner standing guard on a door, his head implodes, you're not going to run right to a armed gunman or even know where the shot came from.

Dreamsky1213
10th Jun 2016, 02:06
So I figured out, that a silenced sniper rifle is useless. Actuall it should prevent the AI to know where you shoot from, but actually it does nothing, you can also take the unsilenced. Why? Take Sappienza for example, get into the townshall tower, and snipe a target. ALL the guards who witnessed the kill, will run straight up to the tower to search for you. It is impossible to explain how the guards have a clue where I shot from.

IF I would use the unsilenced - OKAY. But for exact that reason (to hide your position) there should be the silenced sniper rifle. Even if you hide behind a wall and just doing a snap shot, the guards will know where you are.

Silenced sniper rifle works just fine. The reason they spot you is because you shot the target in front of the guards. Even if you can't hear where the shot came from, if you see the impact shot, you can figure out which direction the shot came from. If you ever shot the last person of a group you would know the silence sniper works fine, as the people in front won't know the guy in the back is dead, and would keep walking.

CnnrYng1
10th Jun 2016, 20:42
At the end of the day a silenced weapon is for stealth and from clear across the sapienza square no one would hear the shot so they shouldn't know where you are. If I can stand in a toilet cubicle and shoot someone around the door with a silenced pistol and no one knows it was me, I should be able to do it with a silenced rifle from 100m away.