PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Marrakesh

doom-generation
1st Jun 2016, 03:47
So I just hit level 20, and wanted to offer some initial feedback.

The good:

I really like the scenario and the background info given.
The diegetic music in the level is great! Really sells the atmosphere.
Love 47's Summer Suit :)
The marketplace feels real and alive.
Getting around the Consulate was suitably challenging, with lots of Enforcers.
The school works nicely, and I really like the different military disguises.
The map overall feels suitably large, about equal to Sapienza. Keep it up! :thumb:

The bad:

Having noticeably fewer Opportunities than Paris or Sapienza is a little unfortunate, but perhaps inevitable with increased difficulty.

That's all for now, what do you guys and gals think?

Agarwel_Idiriz
1st Jun 2016, 06:36
Difficult to say yet. I finished it just once (Witcher 3 and some other stuff kept me busy yesterday :-()
But so far I liked it a lot.
On a first impression it felt there is not so many freedom, paths and side areas as in previous levels (but I probably missed many).
But I like that this time they put targets on oposite side of the map. Paris and Italy had both targets in same building so it felt smaller. This time it is like two separated missions in one. It is nice change of pace.
Only dissapointment for me are mastery rewards. This time it feels like it is not giving me anything usefull. For example Italy give me better sniper rifle, so it makes Paris sniping challenges easier. So far it seems there is nothing I will really use.

Really looking when I play it more.

DIEFROMTHECRABZ
1st Jun 2016, 07:02
dont like it. reminds me too much of Sapienza but with a more dry and uninteresting setting. wouldve rather them skip it completely and dedicate the time to Thailand and USA. also the VOICE WORK IS STILL AMERICAN WTF.

Shredsss
1st Jun 2016, 07:08
Worse than Sapienza. Uninteresting location, less stuff to do. The american voice work in a African city really sells it, indeed.

DX12 still broken as hell, high resolution textures are not working, despite being used in the settings: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=189329

kaneten
1st Jun 2016, 11:16
Overall I like the level design except the school. That's when it kind of turns into a very generic cover-based stealth game, with a military-conversion setting to boot.

But the voice acting, oh my... It's really bad this time. Walking through the markets, I hear the same British voice unconvincingly trying to sell me different things. Sometimes I would have her barking in one ear only to knock into another random female NPC and hear the same voice at the same time. I'd prefer much less voice acting if it meant getting a wider variety of actors, because this is getting very cringeworthy.

doom-generation
1st Jun 2016, 12:43
Only dissapointment for me are mastery rewards. This time it feels like it is not giving me anything usefull. For example Italy give me better sniper rifle, so it makes Paris sniping challenges easier. So far it seems there is nothing I will really use.

Really looking when I play it more.

Yeah, I'm curious as to hoe the Remote CX Block differs from the Remote Mine, if at all.

...also the VOICE WORK IS STILL AMERICAN WTF.

The american voice work in a African city really sells it, indeed.

But the voice acting, oh my... It's really bad this time. Walking through the markets, I hear the same British voice unconvincingly trying to sell me different things. Sometimes I would have her barking in one ear only to knock into another random female NPC and hear the same voice at the same time. I'd prefer much less voice acting if it meant getting a wider variety of actors, because this is getting very cringeworthy.

I don't know why you'd expect the voice actors to change when clearly this is how it's going to be for every level. Doesn't bother me in the slightest to be honest, but even if it did, expecting it to change half way through the game is crazy.

Quajek
1st Jun 2016, 13:57
It bummed me out that when I managed to sneak into the Consulate in my Suit, the security could still see through my disguise. What? I'm in an office building with a bunch of white men wearing suits? How is it that obvious I don't belong?

Puiu13
1st Jun 2016, 14:11
So I just hit level 20

:eek: Already?!!

Just kidding, i would have done it myself until now but i have a lot of other things on my mind right now.

I really like the scenario and the background info given.
Me too.

Love 47's Summer Suit :)
Me too.

The marketplace feels real and alive.
Agree.

Getting around the Consulate was suitably challenging, with lots of Enforcers.
Agree again.

The school works nicely.
So far i don't like the school, don't know why, i have to play more.

The map overall feels suitably large, about equal to Sapienza.
Agree again.

On a first impression it felt there is not so many freedom
Same

But I like that this time they put targets on oposite side of the map.
That is what i like the most.

Totally agree, so far is realy disappointing.

Puiu13
1st Jun 2016, 14:15
It bummed me out that when I managed to sneak into the Consulate in my Suit, the security could still see through my disguise. What? I'm in an office building with a bunch of white men wearing suits? How is it that obvious I don't belong?
I noticed that too and i thing is wrong.

jimbianco
1st Jun 2016, 14:27
hmm. Love the look & ambient sound. The comical dialogue negates any tension the level tries to bring. Why does everyone in Marrakesh have x-ray vision? This obsession with huge crowds isn't really doing anything for the game but showing off art dept. Guards spot 47 through these huge crowds and then start opening fire. WE REALLY NEED HUMAN SHIELD MORE THAN EVER. THERE IS NO POINT AT ALL IN FAKE SURRENDERING.

doom-generation
1st Jun 2016, 17:06
Guards spot 47 through these huge crowds and then start opening fire. WE REALLY NEED HUMAN SHIELD MORE THAN EVER. THERE IS NO POINT AT ALL IN FAKE SURRENDERING.

Did you expect the crowds to actually work as visual concealment? :scratch: That's not how it works, mate. I Imagine that would be an unbelievably complex a thing to program.

Nonoum
1st Jun 2016, 17:36
I've been playing it for only 4 hours yet, my feedback:

positive:
- background story is going to be my favorite
- I found 9 remote explosives and 1 lethal poison on the level, which is great
- some challenges are really creative

negative:
- performance is worse than it was on previous 2 maps, and using lower graphic settings doesn't help
- performance on roofs is awful, I can understand that but still I'm sure you can do much better
- coins on the floor? really? overall city looks more well-off than I expected
- american accents, m4 instead of ak47

Quajek
1st Jun 2016, 18:02
Did you expect the crowds to actually work as visual concealment? :scratch: That's not how it works, mate. I Imagine that would be an unbelievably complex a thing to program.

They were able to do it pretty effectively in Assassin's Creed III on last-gen consoles. You'd walk into a crowd of people, and guards wouldn't see you unless you did something weird.

doom-generation
1st Jun 2016, 19:37
- coins on the floor? really? overall city looks more well-off than I expected
- american accents, m4 instead of ak47

What's wrong with the coins?

In Marrakesh, the soldiers having AR-15's is just as likely as them having Kalashnikovs.

jayinatlanta
2nd Jun 2016, 03:17
Love the Mission:Impossible style backstory of saving a whole nation (plus getting to a dude inside an "impenetrable" consulate). Good job to the writers, and thanks for not giving us another gratuitously stupid non-assassination puzzle (like destroying a virus).

I'm exclusively a very silent assassin and personally found this much trickier than many other Hitman levels to not be spotted. Still zero non-target kills, but looking forward to being cleaner in future playthroughs.

I was actually anticipating seeing that same mercenary guy in the post-level cutscene. Too bad he didn't show his face this time, just his apparent handiwork.

Sapienza is less claustrophobic with wider open spaces that make it feel like a larger area. I like the Moroccan setting and really admire what the team accomplished with Marrakesh interiors and NPCs, but giving us some more room to breathe would have heightened the "breathing" part of the living, breathing world.

kaneten
2nd Jun 2016, 04:12

You know Absolution had a crowd concealment mechanic, right? :scratch: And while Blood Money didn't have such a mechanic, if you were being shot at in a crowd it would hit other NPCs (and you could use a human shield).

In HITMAN™, guards shoot you with laser precision through huge crowds while everybody screams despite being impervious to the bullets. Feels like a step backwards.

doom-generation
2nd Jun 2016, 05:35
You know Absolution had a crowd concealment mechanic, right? :scratch: And while Blood Money didn't have such a mechanic, if you were being shot at in a crowd it would hit other NPCs (and you could use a human shield).

I'd actually forgotten all about that (I try to block out Absolution as much as possible :p). That was a "hide in middle of crowd" only wasn't it? Being on the other side of it wouldn't work I don't think...

robotx17
2nd Jun 2016, 10:16
Unique, Massive, but Messy. Huge crowd but it feel smaller than previous maps. Less escape points.

Metal Detector Gates at consulate Building is not working, so it's useless. I though it will detect any fire-arms weapon, but it's not. It could bring an immersion stuff to the gameplay since like in the bloodmoney.

But overall Still Awesome in my opinion.

Dominemesis
3rd Jun 2016, 15:17
Not bad, I like it better than Paris, but I am not as impressed with it as I was Sapienza.

doom-generation
3rd Jun 2016, 17:44
definitely smaller than Sapienza. Cracks me up how everyone was thinking this would be the largest map of all time, due to some idiot making his own "leaked videos" of pure speculation . You know who you are. I think they really need to add one more exit point near the "riot". The car in the garage is too much of a grind to get to.

Out of interest, who thought that it was going to be the largest map ever?

DIEFROMTHECRABZ
4th Jun 2016, 04:09
i knew it would be smaller than Sapienza. you could tell from the trailers it was going to be small and they just used wide panning camera angles in the trailer to make it look huge.

RW_Slick
4th Jun 2016, 07:17
I love these complaints.

This is the best map yet to me. No, it does not have the glamour of Paris or the beauty of Sapienza, but it is the toughest map yet. It has the funniest assassination in the game so far and the sniping opportunities are great (even though Sapienza's were better). The area actually is quite large; it just seems small because of the congestion.

doom-generation
4th Jun 2016, 14:44
I love these complaints.

This is the best map yet to me. No, it does not have the glamour of Paris or the beauty of Sapienza, but it is the toughest map yet. It has the funniest assassination in the game so far and the sniping opportunities are great (even though Sapienza's were better). The area actually is quite large; it just seems small because of the congestion.

^ This. I think every map so far has raised the difficulty just the right amount to keep it interesting. My first time trying to get around the second floor of the Consulate I was like, damn... so many Enforcers!

On the subject of the Consulate, did anybody else get vibes of the Rehab Clinic and a touch of Club Heaven from Blood Money?

RW_Slick
4th Jun 2016, 17:23
Enforcers are not even a big deal. This is why you have to explore a level and get shot up a few times before you can really dive in. Every level has a "Starman" disguise and Marrakesh has more than one, depending upon where you are. Even the ICA training and final exam had them.

doom-generation
5th Jun 2016, 04:36
Enforcers are not even a big deal. This is why you have to explore a level and get shot up a few times before you can really dive in. Every level has a "Starman" disguise and Marrakesh has more than one, depending upon where you are. Even the ICA training and final exam had them.

I just meant getting around the Consulate as a Guard. More Guards are Enforcers than not (or at least is seemed that way, I haven't counted). Once I found it was easier with a Janitor disguise, I switched to that.

Anyway...

Playing more of Marrakesh, I actually prefer it to Sapienza. Sapienza, while great, feels a bit too much like a showpiece, whereas Marrakesh feels like a more well thought out level. Marrakesh isn't as immediately impressive as Sapienza, but yields more promise over time. I appreciate the appropriate jump in difficulty too, which comes from a tighter level design than Sapienza. I think more of Marrakesh is more obviously purposeful than Sapienza (the latter's church area for example).

I really like the contrast between the bustling, dusty street markets & Bazaar; the clean, crisp lines of the Swedish Consulate; and the derelict school building. I love the diegetic street music, as mentioned in my OP, and a new piece of the score which came with this episode, which is my favourite piece so far.

Oh, and I like that it only shares two disguises with any of the previous levels (the waiter outfit from Sapienza, and the lone CICADA Bodyguard at the private bar).

RW_Slick
5th Jun 2016, 06:33
CICADA are part of the story. You have seen them in all locations thus far and will likely continue to do so. Also, my comment about Enforcers was not made to sound snooty. They do have a heavy presence on this level but that is just meant to further test your patience. If you do not want to deal with them, the following will give you near invisibility:

Konny (masseuse) - entire consulate except basement (somewhat of a ***** to get his outfit without being spotted though)
Elite Soldier - entire school except for other elites and Reza Zaydan himself. Also works in the basement and first floor of the consulate.

doom-generation
5th Jun 2016, 13:31
Oh I don't mind dealing with them; I appreciate the extra challenge it creates :)

jimbianco
5th Jun 2016, 18:09
It's been done in other games. It sort of was in Absolution. They had those "blend in" points in crowded areas....I've seen alot of others complaining about this.

M-Bimmer
6th Jun 2016, 02:25
Really like this episode. Just started playing yesterday for the first time but got hooked on it http://playola.co/p/7a7a4a

M-Bimmer
6th Jun 2016, 02:33
Really like this episode. Just started playing yesterday for the first time but got hooked on it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/11lasEcmuRYVZC/giphy.gif

Below link is the 30 second video but with sound (sorry don't know how to embed it)

http://playola.co/p/7a7a4a

doom-generation
6th Jun 2016, 03:10
Really like this episode. Just started playing yesterday for the first time but got hooked on it.

Good to hear. It seems many people are finding Marrakesh a bit of a let down after Sapienza, and that's a shame.

https://media.giphy.com/media/11lasEcmuRYVZC/giphy.gif

A very satisfying kill right there :p

JefTheReaper
6th Jun 2016, 09:45
I like Marrakesh so far, but the only real thing that strikes me as odd is that the protest is not really feeling like a protest,
the people there are supposed to be so angry that even the smallest thing could set them off and storm the building to get this guy, but if even one person as much as faints (for example giving the guy with the megaphone a sedative in his drink)

or firing a gunshot/explosion in the building, instead everyone just starts running away like normal NPC's.
while I was thinking it would be rather easy to spark the group into storming the building and killing the guy so I don't need to raise a finger.

doom-generation
6th Jun 2016, 13:28
I like Marrakesh so far, but the only real thing that strikes me as odd is that the protest is not really feeling like a protest,
the people there are supposed to be so angry that even the smallest thing could set them off and storm the building to get this guy, but if even one person as much as faints (for example giving the guy with the megaphone a sedative in his drink)

or firing a gunshot/explosion in the building, instead everyone just starts running away like normal NPC's.
while I was thinking it would be rather easy to spark the group into storming the building and killing the guy so I don't need to raise a finger.

That, while cool, I can only imagine how big of a problem that would be for the devs. Having the crowd rush the building is such a monumental task.... It would entirely change the entire dynamic of the level.

I thought maybe you could have disguised yourself as a protester, thrown a brick at the building, making other protesters do the same, which draws more guards out to deal with them, making the Consulate entrance more open. That might have been doable.

DIEFROMTHECRABZ
6th Jun 2016, 14:36
i dunno why they needed the protest in the first place, its really unnecessary. those guys just stand there doing nothing, its so odd and fake lol.

it would be cool though to have another Hitman in the level thats stealthing around the map doing exactly what youre doing lol....and then you maybe see guards confront him and kill him and tuck his body away in a bag....and each time you play the level, he takes a different route so maybe you see him skimming across the side of a building like Assassins Creed lmao.

RW_Slick
6th Jun 2016, 15:40
Apparently you have not seen a protest. That IS what they do. Yell out IN PROTEST. No one wants to get shot and that is exactly what the soldiers in front of them will do if they try to rush the consulate.

Besides, the whole point of 47's mission there was to take out the general and the banker BEFORE the protest escalates into a riot.

DIEFROMTHECRABZ
6th Jun 2016, 23:10
Apparently you have not seen a protest. That IS what they do. Yell out IN PROTEST. No one wants to get shot and that is exactly what the soldiers in front of them will do if they try to rush the consulate.

Besides, the whole point of 47's mission there was to take out the general and the banker BEFORE the protest escalates into a riot.

and therein lies my issue with this game -____- allegedly the protest is supposed to progress into a riot.....but if you stay in the level for 10 hours, will it actually progress into a riot??? or will these guys just be standing there for 10 hours in the smoldering hott african sun?????

JefTheReaper
7th Jun 2016, 09:43

Darn, you got me there, tough it would be nice that the protest could at the very least escalate into just the protesters throwing objects at the building/army/police, or even breaking out in a small fight (anyone remember the bar fight in Absolution? kidna like that between the protesters and police/army)

The main thing is still that 47 needs to prevent a riot as the Zeydan (or whatever the General's name is) wins if that happens.
Good call, that's most likely why you can't trigger a riot,
still wish they would at least react a bit different when something happens tough, I mean you can blend in the riot looking like a protester, then throw something at the head of one of the guards, and all guards will immediately open fire on you as if you just killed someone, and the ENTIRE group of angry, blood thirsty protesters... run off to the market as if a bomb just exploded.

doom-generation
7th Jun 2016, 11:37
and therein lies my issue with this game -____- allegedly the protest is supposed to progress into a riot.....but if you stay in the level for 10 hours, will it actually progress into a riot??? or will these guys just be standing there for 10 hours in the smoldering hott african sun?????

Allegedly from whom? The NPC's in the level talk about trying to keep it from turning into a riot, as they should in that situation. But the protest was never supposed to become an actual riot.

RW_Slick
7th Jun 2016, 14:09
I can agree that it would be awesome if the situation escalated. I was just saying that if you listen to Diana at the beginning she is basically saying that you MUST prevent that from happening at all cost.