PDA

View Full Version : HTML tutorial finally on-line

Zaccheus
6th Jul 2002, 20:38
A while back I promised a very basic HTML tutorial.
:rolleyes:

Well - I've now done it!
;)

Click here (http://www.rcl-software.org.uk/webpage-tutorial/)

It's not quite finished yet, but please have a look and let me know what you think.

Lesson 3 will explain how to use the things learned in Lessons 1 and 2, to make something like my TRC page (http://www.rcl-software.org.uk/thief/missions/restoredcathedral/v2/).

Thorin Oakenshield
6th Jul 2002, 21:31
There is a FREE HTML Editor by AOL called AOLPress You don't have to be a member to get it either. It's a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get) so you can see how your page looks while editing it. It does have a downside though, It adds code that isn't really needed (But that isn't that big a deal)
You can get it from here http://www.mmsd.org/webpub/aolpress.htm

There are of course many other FREE html editors out there. Just do a search on Google etc.

Stile451
7th Jul 2002, 03:55
AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, AOL, lol

After seeing what a mess those editors can make of html I always code by hand with notepad.

Zaccheus, I'd like to see lists added to your tut (ol=ordered list, ul=unordered list, li=list item, you close ol and ul but not li). <s>How about the s tag for scratched out text</s>

Catman
7th Jul 2002, 04:04
Another good one: Arachnophilia.

Also, a suggestion regarding tag attributes: Most of those are being replaced by cascading style sheet properties. While I wouldn't tell your readers that's what you're doing, I'd replace them with the appropriate style properties, such as style="background-color:black; color:yellow;" ... then later on, when you get around to introducing CSS, you can tell them they've been doing a little bit all along.

Zaccheus
7th Jul 2002, 09:04
Thanks for your input evryone.

Thorin Oakenshield, the reason for the tutorial was that I found that people who know how to use UBB code thought HTML was far too difficult for them to learn, and I wanted to show how easy it actually is.

Salvage, I'll put the strike through item in.

Catman, I do use css, but I wasn't sure how to introduce it in a simple way.
But you are right, I could just embed them in the html file.

QUESION:
How would you do this:
&lt;font color="red"&gt;Hello&lt;/font&gt; &lt;font color="blue"&gt;there&lt;/font&gt;

<font color="red">Hello</font> <font color="blue">there</font>

using styles?

Zaccheus
7th Jul 2002, 11:04
Tutorial updated.

:)

Thorin Oakenshield
7th Jul 2002, 17:57
Yes SOME html editors do make a mess of your code. I use Dreamweaver 4 which can remove all the un-needed code and other rubbish. I have HotDog Pro 5.5 which was FREE. It is Excellent too, Nice clean code.

Catman
7th Jul 2002, 20:18
Originally posted by Zaccheus
Catman, I do use css, but I wasn't sure how to introduce it in a simple way.
But you are right, I could just embed them in the html file.

QUESION:
How would you do this:
&lt;font color="red"&gt;Hello&lt;/font&gt; &lt;font color="blue"&gt;there&lt;/font&gt;

<font color="red">Hello</font> <font color="blue">there</font>

using styles?

&lt;font style="color:red;"&gt;Hello&lt;/font&gt; &lt;font style="color:blue;"&gt;there&lt;/font&gt;

<font style="color:red;">Hello</font> <font style="color:blue;">there</font>

Zaccheus
7th Jul 2002, 22:05
Cool.
:)