PDA

View Full Version : Interesting conversation

LukeSlade
25th May 2016, 15:05
I haven't been on here in a while, but I thought I'd drop by to share an interesting conversation I had over the weekend.
I was at a party several days ago, and met a guy who was a producer for a company called Crystal Dynamics. He recently produced Rise of the Tomb Raider. We started talking about what games we were playing, and the industry in general. Then I brought up the idea of episodic games, more specifically Hitman, and how I was upset about the quality and lack of content. You should've seen his face! He went on for about an hour after that ranting about the state of the industry and why companies like Square Enix are pushing for episodic content. He told me that he'd heard internally that Hitman was never supposed to be episodic but that it was pushed on them by Square for several reasons. He said that publishers would rather go episodic because then they don't have to wait for the entire game to be finished (which he said was the case with Hitman), and that they can release less material for the same amount of money you'd generally be paying. He also added that if a game doesn't sell well, you can just scrap remaining episodes depending on what their state of release is. He said that's made it very hard on smaller companies who are trying to stay in the industry. After he said that I asked him if he knew anything specifically about Hitman, and he told me that the only things he heard were that the devs have been scrambling to get stuff released and that SE wasn't happy about sales. I told him I was going to wait for the disc release, and he said that he doesn't know for sure but doubts there will be one based on sales.
Anyways, some of that I already knew, and some I didn't. Thought I'd share.

Driber
25th May 2016, 16:10
Interesting if true, but unless a name of that supposed Crystal employee is released and this story can actually be verified it's just rumour/hearsay.

doom-generation
25th May 2016, 16:25
Interesting if true, but unless a name of that supposed Crystal employee is released and this story can actually be verified it's just rumour/hearsay.

My thoughts exactly, and a name isn't likely to come forth, for obvious reasons. Even then, it would still be hearsay from a third party.

TheZaqw
25th May 2016, 23:59
If it were theoretically true, then SE should see that it's distribution is the source of it's lack of contribution; not the devs. The talent behind it, is exceptional.