PDA

View Full Version : Immersive lighting for interiors

JefTheReaper
25th May 2016, 08:33
basically something I noticed is just a small thing that bothers me,
when running around in interior levels where all the shutters are closed, the enviroment is usually still to light,
a nice example is in Sapienza, under the church there is a locked room where the control's of the security camera's are, the room has no windows, but even when you shoot the only light that is burning in the room it is still very light in that room,

it would be a lot more immersive if the lighting in rooms changes depending on how many windows there are, if the curtains/shutters are closed, and how much lights are burning, wherever a door to the outside is open or closed (allowing sunlight to come in or not).
and changing the lighting + npc's visual detection range by those factors

bringing also back the old blood money trick where 47 simply hits the light switch, serving both as a distraction AND reducing the visibility of the npc's (dark rooms should effect npc's too)

It could really increase the assassination possibility's too, especially if in the future there will also be night-time levels (security, like police having flash-lights if the lights go off, but the target's being completely blind and helpless when it happens, despite you yourself also being blind unless you use instinct/night-vision goggles)

TheZaqw
25th May 2016, 23:54
Good discussion. I bet the dev team is ready to pop a hernia with the work they have cut out for them; but creative discussion is always great, for the fans that is -- or for me, that is.

JefTheReaper
26th May 2016, 06:55
Good discussion. I bet the dev team is ready to pop a hernia with the work they have cut out for them; but creative discussion is always great, for the fans that is -- or for me, that is.

Actually considering all I know about game creating, it should not be that hard as most rooms in the game already have there own room-bound lighting.
The foundation is already there.
even I with my limited game making knowledge could do it if I had the tools.

Hitman_Limerick
26th May 2016, 13:30
Dynamic Lighting is difficult to manage, especially with DX11 and 12 implemented, and i have over a decade of Environment Design Experience...

would it be difficult to make HITMAN have dynamic lights toggleable, with proper shadow-maps, after story-board is finished to first implementing features into the engine? Not all that difficult...

Would it be difficult now? Probably not worth the effort, given it's pretty clear that every spot in HITMAN seems to have light, and Blood Money's "turn off light" feature has been Disabled in HITMAN, it seems they chose not to implement Dynamic Lights with a toggle feature :(.

JefTheReaper
26th May 2016, 14:15
Dynamic Lighting is difficult to manage, especially with DX11 and 12 implemented, and i have over a decade of Environment Design Experience...

would it be difficult to make HITMAN have dynamic lights toggleable, with proper shadow-maps, after story-board is finished to first implementing features into the engine? Not all that difficult...

Would it be difficult now? Probably not worth the effort, given it's pretty clear that every spot in HITMAN seems to have light, and Blood Money's "turn off light" feature has been Disabled in HITMAN, it seems they chose not to implement Dynamic Lights with a toggle feature :(.

Still hope they will try to add it even so, This game really has me believing in the series again after the huge blunder of Absolution,
HITMAN comes close to being as good as blood money, but if they really want to surpass blood money the basic should actually be including everything blood money had as a basic in HITMAN.

(not that I'm complaining, the game is absolutely massive already, and very fun, but at the moment I still don't call it a game that surpasses blood money, mainly as its still missing a lot of important aspects of blood money and past hitman games)
Getting close tough.

(one important aspect too is that they should have given the game a second title part, just calling it HITMAN has created a lot of confusing already...)