PDA

View Full Version : The one problem with an "episodic" release

semajmarc87
22nd May 2016, 19:18
When the incompetent devs released Hitman: Absolution, they were at least able to go into hiding for a couple years because they already pooped the game out all at once.

With [CAPS LOCK] HITMAN, the game isn't even finished yet. So they can't just go into hiding again. They're forced to pretend they don't notice the outrage every time they make an announcement. Maybe they'll just abandon the game and leave it unfinished in a few months. You just KNOW they're weighing if they'll be able to get away with that. Or maybe they'll just half-*ss the last couple "episodes" so they can claim that (technically) they finished the game.

JimC22
22nd May 2016, 19:49
They can carry on releasing unpolished levels, and they may well do. If you paid for the entire game, they have your money. If they push out shoddy levels, they may reckon that people won't blink at a few quid for a short experience anyway, so they'll still make something out of it. It's appalling.

It will be interesting to see if episodic releases become the industry standard (difficult to see how that could be sustained if it's a quick and easy way to cash in on consumers' good faith, because that'll work for perhaps ten games before people stop buying due to 'downhill' episode quality) or if we get back to whole releases.

AZAZEAL7A
22nd May 2016, 20:37
I agree, it's not looking good...
I wonder if they will ever get round to adding some of the things that should've been in the game at the beginning:
1 dual wielding
2 better gun mechanics
3 good blood decals/blood trails
4 human shield
5 briefcase for sniper rifle
If they add/fix those 5 things then I think I could deal with the delays...
I bought the full experience because I loved hitman (up to blood money) and I expected a quality game (they said they were going back to the blood money style), they had better not cut and run.

Hitman_Limerick
22nd May 2016, 21:30
When the incompetent devs released Hitman: Absolution, they were at least able to go into hiding for a couple years because they already pooped the game out all at once.

With [CAPS LOCK] HITMAN, the game isn't even finished yet. So they can't just go into hiding again. They're forced to pretend they don't notice the outrage every time they make an announcement. Maybe they'll just abandon the game and leave it unfinished in a few months. You just KNOW they're weighing if they'll be able to get away with that. Or maybe they'll just half-*ss the last couple "episodes" so they can claim that (technically) they finished the game.

Linky to proof that the game isnt finished, or that they're not quietly listening to the congregation making the Episodic release even better given some quirky programming techniques, ala': the Proximity Triggering of NPC behavior, triggering other proximity-related behavior based on Hints, etc... which had constructive criticism posted?

This game is darn sweet... have i played it more than 18 hours? NO, i have something called intuition and memory... i don't need master level 20 with Vamp Magician Challenges because IMHO... it's just stupid, coming from a military background, i see no need, except for a glaring fact that a Vamp Magician could easily be mistaken for a good guy, part of the show... as a disguise to slaughter people.

When i buy a Hitman Game, i except seedy, scandalous targets up-to-no-good to be my targets, and Hitman Series always Delivers, except in some cases where, like the Intro Mission in Blood Money, You kill an innocent Theme-Park owner and have to option to assassinate his hot-ass, dumb-as-rocks niece, who doesn't deserve it.

In all truth and fairness, the bulk of all Hitman has been Black Ops, as ICA, is eerily similar to CIA ;).

I, Frankly, Dont See Your Point, Is It The Waiting? Or the Midly Buggy Game and Mechanisms Therein?

Driber
22nd May 2016, 21:56
Wow sounds like someone is in need of a tin foil hat.

semajmarc87
22nd May 2016, 22:33
Wow sounds like someone is in need of a tin foil hat.

Wow, sounds like an unprofessional admin.

Driber
22nd May 2016, 22:36
Wow, sounds like an unprofessional admin.

Wow sounds like a troll trying to deflect with ad hominems instead of addressing valid criticism to his outrageous statements.

semajmarc87
22nd May 2016, 22:36
Linky to proof that the game isnt finished

Are you being serious or are you joking? The game OBVIOUSLY isn't finished. That's common sense. Did you not know they're still making the game and releasing it piece by piece?

semajmarc87
22nd May 2016, 22:39
Wow sounds like a troll trying to deflect with ad hominems instead of addressing valid criticism.

Haven't I talked to you about this before? Didn't you say that, as an admin, you'd act more professional and not try to pick fights with people on here and then ban them when they own you in the future? I see how well that went.

Driber
22nd May 2016, 22:46
Haven't I talked to you about this before? Didn't you say that, as an admin, you'd act more professional and not try to pick fights with people on here and then ban them when they own you in the future? I see how well that went.

The only person here trying to pick fights is you. You made outrageous and borderline slanderous statements and the second someone criticizes you for it, you're making it all personal and go on the attack. Why don't you address the criticism instead of playing these silly "I demand you to talk to me in a manner that is acceptable to me" tone policing games.

And I've seen no one "own" me :p

semajmarc87
22nd May 2016, 22:50
The only person here trying to pick fights is you. You made outrageous and borderline slanderous statements and the second someone criticizes you for it, you're making it all personal and go on the attack. Why don't you address the criticism instead of playing these silly "I demand you to talk to me in a manner that is acceptable to me" tone policing games.

Case and point. Square Enix sure knows how to select people to represent their company.

doom-generation
22nd May 2016, 22:51

Driber
22nd May 2016, 22:58
Case and point. Square Enix sure knows how to select people to represent their company.

I'm not a company rep.

And I suggest you cease this ongoing attack here. If you have a problem with me as admin, you can take it into PM. You're in multiple violation of TOU rule #16.

Didn't we agree on Jon Stewart? ;)

semajmarc87
22nd May 2016, 23:10
I'm not a company rep.

You perform duties for them. So, in a way, your lack of professionalism reflects on them.

And I suggest you cease this ongoing attack here. If you have a problem with me as admin, you can take it into PM.

Yeah, it's probably better to keep embarrassing yourself where others can't see.

You're in multiple violation of TOU rule #16.

Are you going to ban me for owning you like you just claimed you don't do? lol

doom-generation
22nd May 2016, 23:12
Didn't we agree on Jon Stewart? ;)

Yeah, but look at MJ's happy little face! :D

Driber
22nd May 2016, 23:42
You perform duties for them. So, in a way, your lack of professionalism reflects on them.

Yeah keep spinning your narrative of entitlement. Amazing how some people think they can act like the biggest jerk on earth and not expect any push back, however mild. Because you know, that's unacceptable :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's probably better to keep embarrassing yourself where others can't see.

Such irony. You could have saved your own thread.

Are you going to ban me for owning you like you just claimed you don't do? lol

No I'm suspending you for multiple TOU violations and continued aggravation after having been warned to stop. Would've done the same if the target of your verbal abuse was someone else. Except I would've been less patient.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt the first time around when you went after me as I thought you were coming from a genuine place of having the forum's best interest in mind. Now it has gotten clear what your real motivations are.

Come back in 48 hours. With a less combative attitude.

Yeah, but look at MJ's happy little face! :D

Heh, true, he does have that going for him.

Anyway, if anyone feels like getting back on topic, now would be a perfect time...

Driber
23rd May 2016, 21:39
FYI all, another post with a TOU rule #16 violation was just removed and subsequent violations will be deleted as well, and infractions handed out. We're not going to keep warning people about this forever. Follow the rules; PM or bust.

Hitman_Limerick
23rd May 2016, 21:59
FYI all, another post with a TOU rule #16 violation was just removed and subsequent violations will be deleted as well, and infractions handed out. We're not going to keep warning people about this forever. Follow the rules; PM or bust.

I posted a food-for-though ultimatum about "linky for proof", albeit with the alternative spoken right after as a subsequential possibility that IOI and SE are listening to "the congregation" for feedback to make the game better while they build it, and may have stated that some people role-play, expect Hitman to be akin to a Govt. Agency like ICA, *ahem,*, excuse me, CIA. And i got flamed for it... by who? that's being dealt with from a different direction, but i figured /end of topic. after i posted how IOI and SE are doing, probably, what they said they'd do, and asked simply: "is it the waiting?".

Hitman_Limerick
23rd May 2016, 22:17
Linky to proof that the game isnt finished, or that they're not quietly listening to the congregation making the Episodic release even better given some quirky programming techniques, ala': the Proximity Triggering of NPC behavior, triggering other proximity-related behavior based on Hints, etc... which had constructive criticism posted? ... the bulk of hitman has been Black Ops (not the video-game, the tactical aspects of agency behavior)

Are you being serious or are you joking? The game OBVIOUSLY isn't finished. That's common sense. Did you not know they're still making the game and releasing it piece by piece?

Well,
as stated above, the "linky to proof that the game isn't finished yet" statement was food for thought, in my Indie Developer's POV, The game IS Finished, at least in Story-Board, but i see what you're saying, but in bold,in my first post, i did state an alternative, which was completely ignored because i say some pretty wild things just getting people's creative juices flowing, but around here, everyone's so angry about the cramped style of waiting for releases, silly damage-models in the game, proximity triggering "over-use" (for lack of a better "word")...

it's apparent to me that everyone here is a little high-strung and i walk in with a good attitude and seem to have kicked sand in everyone's lemonade :(. So folks, don't take everything so seriously, be serious about serious things;

A random internet persona's theories on whether or not a video game is finished or not, and if some people who have served in war, want to keep their spidey-senses tingling with Rainbow Six and HITMAN, and not goof around with Vamp-Magician antics, so beit.

Driber
23rd May 2016, 22:20
I posted a food-for-though ultimatum about "linky for proof", albeit with the alternative spoken right after as a subsequential possibility that IOI and SE are listening to "the congregation" for feedback to make the game better while they build it, and may have stated that some people role-play, expect Hitman to be akin to a Govt. Agency like ICA, *ahem,*, excuse me, CIA. And i got flamed for it... by who? that's being dealt with from a different direction, but i figured /end of topic. after i posted how IOI and SE are doing, probably, what they said they'd do, and asked simply: "is it the waiting?".

By "flamed" are you referring to semajmarc87's response in post #8? Or to my first post (#5)? In case of the latter, I guess there has been a misunderstanding. My tin foil hat comment was in reply to the outrageous and offensive comments in the OP; it was not in reply to you whatsoever :)

Hitman_Limerick
23rd May 2016, 22:46
ah, so i got angry because once-upon a time, you said i sound like a conspiracy-theory loon, not directly, but i took it personally, as there are actual people who try to connect what's redacted (Read: Blacked Out), and put the pieces together, without being a loon,

and got offended at the tin foil hat statement, as i stated that i like to role play and said the bulk of Hitman felt like Back Operations from the CIA (ICA, i immediately came to that conclusion when i first fired up the first Hitman i ever played, Blood Money)... I thought you were telling me iim cray-cray cuz hitman's handlers are like the CIA (ICA, in fact) and they have a secret Black-Site even in HITMAN (2016) in the Prologue, so i said what i said, and in the end i'm sorry anyways, because i'm willing to let things die down, and honestly it's gonna take some time for some of us to figure who's at fault, but resist the urge point fingers, place blame.

My last 2 posts were explaining how i felt directly insulted in the topic, but in fact did get more than half of my first and most important paragraph ignored because seajmac took me seriously when i said "linky to proof that the game is not done"... my bad, carry on ;).

Driber
24th May 2016, 09:21
ah, so i got angry because once-upon a time, you said i sound like a conspiracy-theory loon, not directly, but i took it personally, as there are actual people who try to connect what's redacted (Read: Blacked Out), and put the pieces together, without being a loon,

and got offended at the tin foil hat statement, as i stated that i like to role play and said the bulk of Hitman felt like Back Operations from the CIA (ICA, i immediately came to that conclusion when i first fired up the first Hitman i ever played, Blood Money)... I thought you were telling me iim cray-cray cuz hitman's handlers are like the CIA (ICA, in fact) and they have a secret Black-Site even in HITMAN (2016) in the Prologue, so i said what i said, and in the end i'm sorry anyways, because i'm willing to let things die down, and honestly it's gonna take some time for some of us to figure who's at fault, but resist the urge point fingers, place blame.

My last 2 posts were explaining how i felt directly insulted in the topic, but in fact did get more than half of my first and most important paragraph ignored because seajmac took me seriously when i said "linky to proof that the game is not done"... my bad, carry on http://eidos.driber.net/images/custom/smilies/wink.png.

Ah I see now how my initial comment got connected with yours about role play. TBH I mostly just skimmed your post (#4) as I didn't quite understood what you were talking about regarding role play. Wow that was quite the misunderstanding and a most unfortunate coincidence! I'm glad we sorted this out in the end. No hard feelings, Limerick :)

Also, just to be perfectly clear, I wasn't even calling semajmarc87 a loonatic. I do think his OTT comments are waaay out there, which was why I used the 'tin foil hat' comment more as a kind of shorthand to denounce his OP, but like you I don't think one necessarily has to be insane to believe in conspiracy theories. Actually, I'm not quite convinced even he himself believes the things he said.

semajmarc87
25th May 2016, 03:34
I'm suspending you for multiple TOU violations and continued aggravation after having been warned to stop.

Come back in 48 hours. With a less combative attitude.

Exactly. You suspended me precisely like I said you would do. You proved me right.

Driber
25th May 2016, 10:08
Yeah I suspend people for completely going off the rails and into troll galore mode after just a relatively mild push back to their totally inflammatory OP and breaking rule after rule despite directly being instructed to take their grievances into PM. How unreasonable of me.

I'm sorry to see you have no intention whatsoever to get your own thread back on topic and just want to argue this point to death. So I'm closing it. If you disagree with that decision, you know what not to do and how to reach me.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/announcement.php?a=1#rule16