PDA

View Full Version : Elusive targets - A better way of handling these missions...

Engioc
21st May 2016, 08:08
I think there should be a time frame but only from the moment you start the mission. There shouldnt be a time frame as in an expiration date once they made it live on their servers. It should be able to sit in our queue for as long as we want...weeks, months..until were ready to play it, then there should be a timer once we start the mission. say an hour or two.

I'm quoting jayjasonjayman here because this is based on what he said.

Note: this post is not about me, I've not yet been inconvenienced by the dates IO have set for elusive targets.

If people are prepared to stop and think for a second you will realise sooner or later IO will set a date that doesn't work well for you. Most people have lives outside gaming and IO need to understand that.

Question for IO:
What was the point to the elusive/one shot missions?

Was it to lock people in to specific dates set by IO?
Was it to make missions that would provide a new challenge by giving us a set time-frame, and one chance/life?

I'm guessing its the second option...and I'm okay with that kind of challenge, but does it really make any difference if I have to do it on a weekend locked in by IO, or whenever I'm available?...probably not:

When I begin the mission time starts, but I can start now, next week, next month, next year....I can fit it in to my life when it suites me, instead of when it suites IO
I'm still given just 48 hours to complete it, and time doesn't restart
I still fail for the same reasons I fail now when doing an elusive target
I still only get one shot at the mission and if I stuff it up it's gone
It will still have the same tension as it does now
I'm still forced to be careful knowing there isn't a second chance

This would also benefit IO, what happens now if someone goes and purchases the game, they've already missed one elusive target. You could say that's the reward for people who bought it in time and too bad for those who didn't...but I would have thought it would work better for IO if you can continue selling the game with all the content available to new comers, they too can start the elusive missions when they're ready. Surely that attracts a higher price than it will as more elusive targets get missed?

On some games I really care about story, on some I don't. For Hitman I don't care that much about story but maybe some other people do. With episodic release type games the story can end up being really broken up and harder to follow when its being released months apart. Some people prefer to be able to wait till its all released and play it without the start/stop/start/stop approach. You can obviously still do that, but if I want to do elusive missions you're still forced to play when it suites IO, not when it suites you.

Better Rewards:
Based on the first mission they don't seem to provide any challenge, and I'd certainly like to see them made harder to complete, and perhaps even vary in amount of time required to complete them. The problem is the rewards don't seem all that appealing. I've never been a fan of items external to the game like figurines...but even when its game content like extra suites for A47 I don't care for it much when its just a different coloured suite. I'd rather see items that make a difference to the gameplay by adding more weapons or other options for taking out targets. Perhaps one idea for a reward would be if you successfully complete it you get the ability to replay it. Again on your first run through you'd still only get your one chance, stuff it up and its gone forever. If successful though why not reward the player by letting them play the mission again, you only get to replay successful missions....but then again given the simplicity of ET1 maybe nobody wants to reply the mission.

Basically I just don't like the idea of people having to plan life around A GAME. Its supposed to be fun and something you can do when you have the spare time. I don't think there is any real need for IO to be locking fans in to specific dates/weekends. That may be when it best suites IO, but not every fan out there is on the same schedule in life as IO. That doesn't make them any less of a fan either, for any normal person life is going to get in the way at times. To me the current system is penalizing people for having a life, and it seems unnecessary and is setting up fans for continual disappointment as more people miss out on targets due to life.

Final note...I want to make it clear again I life these one shot missions, I just think the way IO have implemented them doesn't work well. This isn't a complaint, just what I think would be a better way of doing it.

doom-generation
21st May 2016, 11:44
If people are prepared to stop and think for a second you will realise sooner or later IO will set a date that doesn't work well for you. Most people have lives outside gaming and IO need to understand that.

Of course they already realise that, which is why there are going to be more elusive targets than there are the number required for the rewards, so you can fail or miss some.

Question for IO:
What was the point to the elusive/one shot missions?

Was it to lock people in to specific dates set by IO?
Was it to make missions that would provide a new challenge by giving us a set time-frame, and one chance/life?

The point was to provide the most authentic experience of being Agent 47 as possible, to let you go through the motions of "getting the call" and having limited time to strike your target. They have stated this many times.

[LIST]
When I begin the mission time starts, but I can start now, next week, next month, next year....I can fit it in to my life when it suites me, instead of when it suites IO

That suggestion flies directly in the face of what the experience is meant to be. It's also clearly something they would have considered right from the mode's conception.

I'm still given just 48 hours to complete it, and time doesn't restart

This doesn't make sense... Why, once you've started it at a time convenient to you, would you need a 48 hour window to complete it? The one we had could be done in under a minute if you've looked it up, which you could have done at any time if you could play them months down the line. Frankly, the 48 hours we get is generous if anything... Ideally it would be shorter, so that people couldn't cheat and look up a video of how to do it, though I guess if they want to rob themselves of the experience for the sake of guaranteed success, that's their decision. A 24 hour window would be better to guarantee the experience, but obviously they have to balance it out with people living their lives, so instead we get a two day window. But yeah, I don't know why you'd need a 48 window to complete it if you could start it at any time...

It will still have the same tension as it does now

It really wouldn't though, because you've come to it at a time when you choose, rather than when you have to. That robs it of a sense of immediacy.

This would also benefit IO, what happens now if someone goes and purchases the game, they've already missed one elusive target. You could say that's the reward for people who bought it in time and too bad for those who didn't...but I would have thought it would work better for IO if you can continue selling the game with all the content available to new comers, they too can start the elusive missions when they're ready. Surely that attracts a higher price than it will as more elusive targets get missed?

I doubt they'd see it as a "reward" per se, but an inevitable result of making live content. Yes, those buying the game now have missed an opportunity, but it doesn't necessarily mean they can never get those rewards. Like I said before, they plan to make more Elusive targets than you need for the suit unlocks, so missing a few is fine.

Better Rewards:
Based on the first mission they don't seem to provide any challenge, and I'd certainly like to see them made harder to complete, and perhaps even vary in amount of time required to complete them. The problem is the rewards don't seem all that appealing. I've never been a fan of items external to the game like figurines...but even when its game content like extra suites for A47 I don't care for it much when its just a different coloured suite. I'd rather see items that make a difference to the gameplay by adding more weapons or other options for taking out targets. Perhaps one idea for a reward would be if you successfully complete it you get the ability to replay it. Again on your first run through you'd still only get your one chance, stuff it up and its gone forever. If successful though why not reward the player by letting them play the mission again, you only get to replay successful missions....but then again given the simplicity of ET1 maybe nobody wants to reply the mission.

I'm not bothered about the suits at all to be honest, but I don't think we should see gameplay changing items be the rewards. That then would would seem unfair too the people who miss them. Better it be something desirable but purely cosmetic, like the suits.

Basically I just don't like the idea of people having to plan life around A GAME. Its supposed to be fun and something you can do when you have the spare time. I don't think there is any real need for IO to be locking fans in to specific dates/weekends. That may be when it best suites IO, but not every fan out there is on the same schedule in life as IO. That doesn't make them any less of a fan either, for any normal person life is going to get in the way at times. To me the current system is penalizing people for having a life, and it seems unnecessary and is setting up fans for continual disappointment as more people miss out on targets due to life.

It's not about it "suiting IO"; having it on a particular set of days doesn't suit them anymore than having it on a different set of days. It's about the reality of the experience they are trying to give us. Yes, life is going to get in the way at times, heck I was worried there would be one this weekend because I'm out with friends for most of it and would have struggled to find the time, but to be honest it's not really a big deal if I had missed it. It wouldn't have meant I'd never be able to get the rewards just because I missed one target, and even if it did, well, big whoop, no suit with gloves for me. I've still got my social life :D

Final note...I want to make it clear again I life these one shot missions, I just think the way IO have implemented them doesn't work well. This isn't a complaint, just what I think would be a better way of doing it.

While I disagreed with you, I don't want to discourage your efforts. I appreciate reading a well written argument on here for a change, they are in short supply! :)

oAntixo
21st May 2016, 12:26
I agree with you. I play and enjoy hitman emencly. However the way the elusive contracts work is a bit BS. People work, people get sick, people have lives. Quite frankly, It's really unfair to have the elusive targets only available for a designated time that's on IO's schedule. The player should be held to all the criteria for the target mission. The mission end should be available to us and only start when we log in.

As you said, if I have a busy few days or weeks even and are unable to log in I miss the opertunity without having a chance.
I'm pretty upset that due to having a rigous work week and also having no idea that this mission was even active so I missed the first elusive target, I found out the mission launched because I received a notification that a youtuber posted a video showing the mission.
I follow hitman on Facebook and saw nothing about the first elusive mission in my feed. Facebook feeds are all screwed and I rarely see anything from Hitmans page. I really don't know how I missed it, I usually check the page to see about updated content. I never saw anything about the elusive targets being available. Had I known I would have made it a point to play the game, even if I had to stay up all night to play and be tired at work I would have done so.

I wish IO or square would release an app for the game to keep track of achievements, challenges, news and notifications. ie. getting a notification that the elusive target mission is available. That new content is available etc.
At least that way we could better monitor the game updates and news. IMO I'm not getting the full experience I paid for when it's on someone else's schedule. It's a rip off and unfair to many players who are unable to log in when the missions releases.

doom-generation
21st May 2016, 12:35
I wish Io or square would release an app for the game to keep track of achievements, challenges, news and notifications. ie. getting a notification that the elusive target mission is available.

An app that looked like an ICA device that let you know when the Target was available would be fantastic! Talk about having the authentic experience!

oAntixo
21st May 2016, 12:39
An app that looked like an ICA device that let you know when the Target was available would be fantastic! Talk about having the authentic experience!

Exactly! Like with ps4 we can synch the ps app to our phones and use it to watch an intro to the new missions and such. I think that would really take the game to a different level. Much like watchdogs did with the app they created.