PDA

View Full Version : Why ELUSIVE Target IDEA Sucks

XenoGen30
16th May 2016, 08:37
Since Hitman came out, I've been playing every day or too. Love the game.
I also check for the Elusive Target every day or two.

I didn't play this Friday or Saturday - the ONLY two days I haven't played since the game came out in March... And guess what? That's the exact time frame when the first Elusive Target came out!

I played on Sunday, just in time to see the video for the elusive target, but not able to play the mission because it had JUST ended.

Did this happen to anyone else?

It would be one thing if the elusive target was just a quick mission, but it's a special character with an intro video, and is a character that's part of the story. I spent a lot of time trying to find this "Baron Larin" character before, because I wanted his speedboat key. Eventually I found the key, but not him. Well, turns out he's an elusive target. And I missed the mission!

This is why the idea of only being able to play Elusive targets once or a time limit is stupid - people like me who paid for the full experience will be missing out on a lot of content! I mean, I paid for all the missions, and yet, I missed out on the chance of ever playing this mission.

That sucks. I really like to walk around each location and absorb the story and the small details. Because of that, I really wanted to meet this Baron larin character.

But I can't, feels like I'm being penalized just because I wasn't glued to my PS4 every single day for 3 months. At least leave the mission there until we play it!

Overall, I think it's a stupid idea to pour so much effort (2 months time) into these Elusive targets and then not allowing the majority of players to play it! I payed full price for the game, but I get a feeling I'll be mission out on most of these missions! These missions are being advertised as "the best Hitman experience has to offer" and so on. I can watch the intro video for it anytime I want in-game, just can't play the game.

And what about all the people who get a game disconnect while trying to play an elusive target?
Or what about people who only discover this game a few months from now and buy it then?

As a result, most players will never be able to play these missions. And personally, I don't like games or memberships where "only a select few" get the full experience, yet everyone pays the same.

Dreamsky1213
16th May 2016, 20:22
Trust me, you didn't miss much. It was 5 minutes of bonus gameplay. I had more fun playing the last Escalation with the battleaxe than the elusive target.

But I do get your point, paying for full experience and not getting the experience kinda sucks. Would help if they spend a few more days promoting the elusive target being released in and out of the game before the release. I guess a way to rectify that would be some sort of token to replay the elusive target at anytime once. Rewarded by doing X number of escalations, or create and complete X amount of player contracts. Limited redos.

Blood_Money_Getta
16th May 2016, 21:55
I have decided that I won't be attempting any Elusive Targets in future. Here's what happened: I learned about the Forger only because I happened to visit the Square Enix website the morning of May 13. I was very excited to play later that day. But I was "Found Trespassing" and immediately shot to death because I went into the big back room of the mansion (that leads to the helicopter) wearing a chef disguise! I was shocked. I have played Paris A LOT--level 20 mastery, all escalations completed, most challenges completed--and I seem to remember going out back in a chef disguise before via the same route and not being found trespassing. But with no second chances, I wasn't able to make up for this mistake based on a seemingly new development. I was very angry! And now the main screen always shows that I failed the Elusive Target, making me feel bad every time I play. But I'm not terribly excited about the rewards for completing Elusive Targets either. Different versions of 47's suit? Meh. Instead of spending time and money (and Diana's voice talent) on Elusive Targets, I would prefer that Square Enix develop other content. But at least, for a game with known bugs and other issues, there should be some way of replaying Elusive Targets if you fail. And it would be a nice touch to give players the option to sign up for text message or email notification when a new target is available.

doom-generation
18th May 2016, 13:04
so you hate elusives because you failed? crybaby. That's the whole point.

While I certainly don't agree with how you phrased that, I do agree with your point.

Xeno, there's nothing wrong with the Elusive Targets as an idea; I think they are a great addition to the game and the tension I felt playing it was real. So you missed the opportunity, that sucks, no doubt about that, but it's not the fault of the game. You got unlucky, mate. That's all.

Immadummee
18th May 2016, 13:51
And it would be a nice touch to give players the option to sign up for text message or email notification when a new target is available.

I got an email about the upcoming elusive target for the weekend. Here's the link to the pic I got emailed to me. I believe you need to signup for their newsletter.

https://xmail.square-enix.com/fe/view/gulin35i5uj3/5ed86272722351058961834d4e7a1f10/505/en/email.html/eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6IkltbWFkdW1tZWUiLCJzZW1pZCI6IjEwMTM4NzE2IiwidXNlciI6eyJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjb3VudHJ5IjoiIiwibG9jYWxlIjoiZW4iLCJleHRyYSI6IkR1bjJaTTNRcmJLM1poVFdSdVlxNWxMdmZQbUtrZENvMnlFXC92YkJ4TmFwbHhSN1FwTmZNT2ZRQkRvaFExSXZSIn19

XenoGen30
18th May 2016, 17:49
While I certainly don't agree with how you phrased that, I do agree with your point.

Xeno, there's nothing wrong with the Elusive Targets as an idea; I think they are a great addition to the game and the tension I felt playing it was real. So you missed the opportunity, that sucks, no doubt about that, but it's not the fault of the game. You got unlucky, mate. That's all.

Yeah, the idea is awesome. The idea of finding your target by a picture and description, and having to check around the level to find then with out the instinct, that part is awesome. That's why I wanted to play it! :)

Not being able to play it is what sucks, especially when its due to disconnects, time frame, glitches that cause you to fail mission)

I agree with the person who said they would rather see the game makers talents and time spent on cutscenes, descriptions, and voice work go to other content, content that anyone can play at any time, that to me would be time better spent on the game.

TotalBrutal51
18th May 2016, 22:55
I wasn't home that week end and I came back too late to play the elusive target which was very bad... I paid for content that I can just miss and never see back...

Plus I hear that you could restart the Elusive at any time, if you were not dead or the target haven't escaped....

What could be a better idea is : Elusive is there for a week and once you load the mission level you are in. No way back, no restart.

I wish they will do some change to those elusive contract. If not, it's just a waste of time.

jayinatlanta
19th May 2016, 00:49
Personally I don't see them spending all their time developing the custom characters and story videos and AI paths for the ETs and then not offering them later at another point. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't offered later as some $$ DLC where you get all the ETs and can play them as often as you want.

Like I said in another thread, I was glad to do it and glad I succeeded after planning well and getting a real clean hit, but there do seem to be legit reasons that some people are a bit ticked, like they were disconnected or had bugs prevent success.

CageyMoose
19th May 2016, 15:17
I really enjoy the Elusive Target mode!

It's the one chance only to make the kill and the limited time within which to do it is what makes this mode truly exciting!

jayjasonjayman
19th May 2016, 18:04
I think there should be a time frame but only from the moment you start the mission. There shouldnt be a time frame as in an expiration date once they made it live on their servers. It should be able to sit in our queue for as long as we want...weeks, months..until were ready to play it, then there should be a timer once we start the mission. say an hour or two.

Engioc
21st May 2016, 07:04
Personally I don't see them spending all their time developing the custom characters and story videos and AI paths for the ETs and then not offering them later at another point. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't offered later as some $$ DLC where you get all the ETs and can play them as often as you want.

Like I said in another thread, I was glad to do it and glad I succeeded after planning well and getting a real clean hit, but there do seem to be legit reasons that some people are a bit ticked, like they were disconnected or had bugs prevent success.

I agree with you on that...I suspect in a year or two, whenever IO decide this version has reached end of life they will release the usual complete edition with everything included and probably some patch the allows you to replay everything including elusive targets. I don't see a game developer/publisher making content for just a 1 time play.

I think there should be a time frame but only from the moment you start the mission. There shouldnt be a time frame as in an expiration date once they made it live on their servers. It should be able to sit in our queue for as long as we want...weeks, months..until were ready to play it, then there should be a timer once we start the mission. say an hour or two.

Agree on this as well. I like the idea of a one shot mission, but the way its been implemented doesn't work well. I think IO need to accept people have lives outside gaming. Even now they've announced the next elusive target for May 27, it's good they've let us know in advance, but I don't like the idea of people being told you have to plan life around a game. Games are supposed to be a fun activity, not something you organise your life around.