PDA

View Full Version : Absolution discussion

jayjasonjayman
16th May 2016, 00:20
What reasons did people have for hating absolution so much? I thought it was pretty good personally.

DIEFROMTHECRABZ
16th May 2016, 03:35
small maps that didnt offer much challenge was the broad complaint. i think about 4 of the 30 maps were medium sized and offered that good old open environment Hitman feel....but the others were just way too small to fully enjoy. other than that, the game was Good. i consider it a test run for this new HITMAN game.....and i enjoyed the contracts mode for about 2 weeks.....but i found it VERY difficult to keep the game and enjoy it because of the size of the maps.

the Showstopper level alone is more fun than the entirety of Absolution imo. it actually feels like Blackwater Park from Absolution instead its not broken up into 2 different maps.

Stefan_Berthold
16th May 2016, 12:55
I hate Absolution.
Absolution this sucks that has nothing to do with the four previous installments of games. Better this game would never come out and everything would have ended in the BM. Red Curtain. The end.
1)Dumb and nonsensical storyline.
2)Violations of the canon of the previous four games (1-4).
For example ICA transformed from a small and secret organizations in a great dull army of mercenaries who are willing to destroy entire villages. Employees and mercenaries with an emblem on the uniform of the agency IСA in a public place. And this secret agency? Nuns in the skin of IСA? This sucks.
3)Absolution is stupid and cheap Mexican Action film in the style of Quentin Tarantino. Previous games have been expressed in the gangster-spy thriller with a conspiracy theory.
4)Not interesting characters. All empty as vegetables.
5)Absurd and illogical situation.
6)47 turned into a stupid idiot. (Caught it twice)
7)Horrible soundtrack. Jesper Kyd was not invited to work. But I'm just glad that Jesper did not work with this sucks.
8)Linear levels go from point A to point B. What kind of nonsense? Where large and open levels?
9)Instinct Mode. What for? We decided to clone Splinter Cell: Conviction?
10)All masking system is sucks.
The game lost its individuality.
Care of almost all developers from the studio IO in 2006-2008. For 2010 there is almost no one left from the old team.
This is the reason why the Absolution is sucks. Therefore Absolution can not be taken as a continuation of the canon.

jayjasonjayman
16th May 2016, 16:34
I agree with some of those reasons but disagree with others. I thought the story and the characters were pretty memorable. I didnt mind the addition of instinct mode. The levels were super small and linear for the most part which seemed acceptable at the time but definitely wouldnt fly with our current gen systems. going more open world this time was the only way to go.

jimbianco
17th May 2016, 03:22
you're way off. The main complaint was the linear style. There were NO "open environment" missions. I don't even consider it a HITMAN game. Terrible over the top storyline & voice acting, no loadout, no sandbox missions, total mess of a UI /HUD, awful soundtrack,profanity laced dialogue aimed at 13 year old boys, The only good thing were the graphics & contracts mode. The new game totally screwed up on contracts mode, hopefully it's fixed later.

Walther_WA2000
17th May 2016, 10:57
I hate Absolution.
Absolution this sucks that has nothing to do with the four previous installments of games. Better this game would never come out and everything would have ended in the BM. Red Curtain. The end.
1)Dumb and nonsensical storyline.
2)Violations of the canon of the previous four games (1-4).
For example ICA transformed from a small and secret organizations in a great dull army of mercenaries who are willing to destroy entire villages. Employees and mercenaries with an emblem on the uniform of the agency IСA in a public place. And this secret agency? Nuns in the skin of IСA? This sucks.
3)Absolution is stupid and cheap Mexican Action film in the style of Quentin Tarantino. Previous games have been expressed in the gangster-spy thriller with a conspiracy theory.
4)Not interesting characters. All empty as vegetables.
5)Absurd and illogical situation.
6)47 turned into a stupid idiot. (Caught it twice)
7)Horrible soundtrack. Jesper Kyd was not invited to work. But I'm just glad that Jesper did not work with this sucks.
8)Linear levels go from point A to point B. What kind of nonsense? Where large and open levels?
9)Instinct Mode. What for? We decided to clone Splinter Cell: Conviction?
10)All masking system is sucks.
The game lost its individuality.
Care of almost all developers from the studio IO in 2006-2008. For 2010 there is almost no one left from the old team.
This is the reason why the Absolution is sucks. Therefore Absolution can not be taken as a continuation of the canon.

I fully agree with this list.
I would also add to this list a terrible system of checkpoints.

MastaSuker
19th May 2016, 09:19
in the very first level a freaking cutscene shoots the mark... ohh and all the levels being just big corridors, and the disguise system sucking since levels are freaking corridors.

Immadummee
20th May 2016, 05:51
I loved Absoution. One of my favorites for sure but the hate it gets, wow. I can't believe it sometimes. Yes it isn't Hitman-esque but if it wasn't a Hitman game and was a totally different character, then would you have looked at it any differently? I think the label of it being a Hitman game really scarred some people cuz it wasn't the traditional style from games prior. But taking all that out, the game was awesome.

Do any of you play other games? Some that come to mind are The Last of Us and the Uncharted series (funny, both are naughty dog games) but not every game needs to be "exactly" the same. Even though I'm a huge lover to the open world games, I still love the point A to point B games like both those naughty dog games I mentioned above.

When I compare absolution to new Hitman, there are a lot of things that absolution did right compared to Hitman 6, such as the weapon wheel. I prefer a not so large inventory that 47 can carry as its limited and more realistic. Also how the weapon wheel is live, meaning when you opened it up, you were still playing. Not like now where you can open your wheel up and the game pauses until you choose something from the wheel or cancel. It kinda takes you out of the game like that. That's where absolution was much better.

Also, instinct might be a little worse there, but I prefer that whatever disguise you're in, EVERY person in that same clothing will recognize you as suspicious.

And I really liked point shooting when in instinct. And with the cinematics, it made it pretty cool but I will say, point shooting wouldn't really work right in new Hitman.

And last, contracts mode. You could search, filter, change difficulties, rate of you like or dislike, and so on. A far superior style over new Hitman. All your hits were exactly what weapon you used or else you failed.

But anyhoo, loved absolution and it's just a nice little breath of fresh air.

But that's just me.

MasterTaffer
20th May 2016, 06:05
I've been playing Absolution a lot the past couple weeks in an attempt to finally finish all the challenges in the single player. I like Absolution a lot, but on the spectrum of "traditional Hitman game" it's wildly off. I can chalk it up to narrative reasons (47 going rogue fromt eh Agency tends to make situations play out differently) and tend to be an apologist for the game. The disguise system was interesting but ultimately flawed. "Magic pockets" were a sticking point for me as it eliminated some of the cooler setups in Hitman past. As someone who carried a gun for a living, the hair trigger shooting mechanics were utterly awesome.

Ultimately, it was an experiment with some new mechanics. Some of those stayed and were tweaked to much better execution in the new game, others were discarded. On its own merits it's a pretty damn good stealth game. I hope one day history looks on it more fondly int he grand scheme of the franchise.