PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix - Steam

himmatsj1113
6th Feb 2015, 08:17
Hi there,

I was looking to buy the Tomb Raider GOTY Edition, and then the Eidos Anthology pack. However, BOTH PACKAGES are play locked to the Asian region only! I am from Malaysia.

This is the message I see from the Eidos Anthology pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/52125/):

"This package will only be playable in Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan."

Mind you, this is a "play lock", not an activation lock. Meaning that, if I were to move to the UK, or US or Australia to further my studies, the games will cease to be playable.

Can I please have an official response from Square Enix on this matter? The Anthology Pack is on a huge sale and I don't wanna miss out on it, but at the same time I want to make sure it is future proof.

Thanks!

Edit: This is also the FIRST ever instance I have come across play locks, and it seems that only Square Enix practices this abhorrent practice.

ripax11
6th Feb 2015, 15:17
I think it's because if you buy there became cheaper and Steam made this lock. At least it's what is Brazil and Russia store lock too. I live in Brazil, so all games I have I can play only here...

Edit: I think it might help me to explain: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/196079-valve-enables-region-locking-in-steam-to-stop-you-buying-cheap-games-from-russia

mechmouse
11th Mar 2015, 15:30
I would like to get an official opinion.

Does Square-ENIX believe that their games should stop the execution of another publsihers software?

The defacto arguement against per game sharing (if I play TR you can play HL), opposed to the library lock (if I play TR you cant play any of my games) which Steam Family Sharing is using is this;

Publishers would not allow VALVe to use their software via Steam Family Sharing if VALVe allowed people to play 2 or more different games from a Library at a time.

For those that don't know how SFS works heres a primer.

You can share with upto 5 people and 10 machines. To authorise a machine you must log onto it. Doing so exposes your Steam Account details. It is this VALVe uses to ensure you only share with people you know. There are of course people willing to risk loosing their steam accout and getting their machine hijacked for a few free games.

If you have a library of 100 games only 1 of those games can be played at any time, the other 99 are locked out. This Library Lock has no effect on detering those willing to abuse the system.

So once again, the question is
Does Square-ENIX believe that their games should stop the execution of another publsihers software?

Or In another way
Would Square-ENIX remove their games from SFS if games were locked out on a per game basis?

jezebelle2014
9th May 2015, 01:12
I bought a PC game, not an internet game. I don't want any third party company on my pc or tracking anything I do

This Steam crap is slow and worthless, adds nothing but violation of users privacy and slows the damn game down.

How do I remove that steamcrap from my pc and still keep the game I PAID for?

PS. Thanks for posting my name publically on your forums. I did not pay for a game for you to tell people I am playing, nor did I authorize you to publically display my name.

joelandsonja
19th May 2015, 07:33
Not sure if you've moved on at this point, but I would strongly recommend GOG.com.

GOG.com is completely DRM free, so every game you purchase ... you own ... what a novel idea!

MasterNandokps
4th Mar 2016, 04:31
Thank you Square Enix ! Thank you so much!

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12376301_1404713679546138_8987789415193331632_n.jpg?oh=59018c6dbc495c0e74d60e854449cc5d&oe=57698C1B

Now I can complete my adventure. :D

Blackface
12th May 2016, 17:37
Playstation, Xbox etc had got most great classic square titles on their console to buy and keep in library. I was wonder if you Square enix are going to do the same for Steam (valve). Final fastasy 10/X-2 just came out on PC and people jump on it. Almost if not all FF series is there now. But what about the great classics like Xenogears, Secret of Evermore, Bushido Blade 1& 2, !Final Fantasy Tactics! , Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger (cross), Vagrant Story, Dragon Warrior, The 7th Saga, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, Bust a Groove, Valkyrie Profile, Dissidia, The Bouncer, Kingdom Hearts, Again with Xenogears! Square Enix please make this happen for PC gamers. I want to re live my childhood. Please I want to give you my money!!! I'm not the only person who wants this. Millions of PC gamers want this. Also can you give a option on Steam when you buy a final fantasy game to also download the Score. Music in them are legendary.

moooka
13th May 2016, 06:58
I think FF Tactics is very likely to come to Steam one day. There is an Android version of it already. The Steam versions of FF 3 to 6 were based on their Android counterparts.

TiggaBiscuit
6th Dec 2016, 02:44
Just a suggestion, actually read the ToS perhaps?

Nominsyt
30th Aug 2017, 00:22
I'd like to see Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles; My Life as a King & My Life as a Dark lord on Steam.

Building Kingdoms and Conquering them is a lot more fun than it looks.