PDA

View Full Version : New PC!

blincoln
6th Jul 2002, 11:39
Normally I wouldn't post about this kind of thing, but I'm so happy with the way it turned out I feel compelled to. I just finished rebuilding my PC (I haven't been able to read email or browse the web from home since thursday evening because of some complications) using a new motherboard and some other bits and bobs inside of a ClearPC case. The dual neon tubes are actually UV/blacklight, but they show up as pink in most of these photos:

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/~blincoln/LightsOn1.JPG

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/~blincoln/LightsOn2.JPG

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/~blincoln/LightsOff1.JPG

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/~blincoln/LightsOff2.JPG

It's so 80s-looking, I love it =). I need to clean up the cables, and I'd like to replace the GeForce3 with a GF4, but I'm really happy even as-is.

willow
6th Jul 2002, 12:23
That is so ungodly wicked cool I just can't take it!

Now I'm anxious to rebuild mine (which I'm just about to do)

But geez I feel weird now... I have like a thousand fans in my PC.... you only have a few...
I don't overclock... no not me... I feel my PC runs quickly without me overclocking... *cough cough* ahem.... anyway...

*drools*

it's.... so... pretty....

yes yes I'm a nerd... leave me alone....

Azuriel
6th Jul 2002, 14:47
very nice!

isn`t water-cooling a bit risky?
anyway, looks like a real powerhouse to me

good job! *gives cookie*

Serul
6th Jul 2002, 15:48
Cool PC Blincoln !!! The neon tubes are a nice touch. :D

I really need to start saving for my own machine.

Umah Bloodomen
6th Jul 2002, 18:08
First the boots....then the pants....now this computer...ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?

:p

You really know how to turn a woman's buttons thats for sure.

**continues to drool before deciding to faint***

Great PC Blinc!

;)

blincoln
6th Jul 2002, 18:39
Thanks everybody =).

Willow: My old system had about seven or eight fans total. It sounded like I was running my vaccuum cleaner. I had hoped that this one would be a bit quieter, but the one on the CPU is very loud. OTOH it keeps the CPU at 35 degrees, so I'm happy.

Az: I *wish* it were watercooled. I was thinking about doing that, but it's still too expensive for me, and yeah - I'd be a little paranoid about it. The clear round tubes are the IDE/floppy cables, and the blue ones are the power for the neon and some other stuff I put inside wire loom. The HSF on the processor looks unusual because I painted the fan blades with flourescent paint.

Umah: It's just my luck that all (one) of the women like you live in Michigan =F. Is it simple mathematics, or a sinister curse put on me by my enemies?

Oh yeah, the specs which I forgot:
Athlon XP 1700+ (from my old PC)
Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition MB (the third 5.25" device mounted in the front is a USB2.0 hub and smart card reader. I mounted the power button for the neon in it)
512 MB Crucial PC2100 RAM (From old PC - I'm swapping this out for Corsair XMS PC3000 when I have some extra money)
Asus V8200 Deluxe GF3 (From old PC - I'm swapping this out for a Gainward GF4, again when I have some extra money)
IBM Deskstar 40GB HD (From old PC - Swapping for a Maxtor 80GB ATA133 drive... you get the picture)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for sound (From old PC)
Toshiba 16x DVDROM (From old PC - patched so it can play DVDs from all regions =F)
Crappy Acer 56x CDROM (From old PC - I need to swap this out too at some point)
Enermax 350w power supply
Swiftech MCX462 HSF for the CPU (blades painted neon green using Tamiya acrylics =))
Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound (of course...)
Thermaltake Smart Case Fans (2x)
Azzo Computer UV neon (two tubes, one inverter, one switch)

I'm thinking of getting a second dual-neon setup but in blue, and mounting it as a mirror image of the UV ones, so that there would be a neon frame all the way around... hrm, the possibilities.

chuffy
6th Jul 2002, 18:40
thats pretty sweet mate
(he says crying while looking at the drab grey tower in front of him)

chuffy

Umah Bloodomen
6th Jul 2002, 19:03
Originally Posted by Blincoln
Umah: It's just my luck that all (one) of the women like you live in Michigan =F. Is it simple mathematics, or a sinister curse put on me by my enemies?

It's gotta be the Hylden I tell you...that just proves Kain was right...Janos MUST stay dead. :p

***goes out hunting Hylden and Janos***

Originally Posted by Blincoln

Athlon XP 1700+ (from my old PC)
Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition MB (the third 5.25" device mounted in the front is a USB2.0 hub and smart card reader. I mounted the power button for the neon in it)
512 MB Crucial PC2100 RAM (From old PC - I'm swapping this out for Corsair XMS PC3000 when I have some extra money)
Asus V8200 Deluxe GF3 (From old PC - I'm swapping this out for a Gainward GF4, again when I have some extra money)
IBM Deskstar 40GB HD (From old PC - Swapping for a Maxtor 80GB ATA133 drive... you get the picture)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for sound (From old PC)
Toshiba 16x DVDROM (From old PC - patched so it can play DVDs from all regions =F)
Crappy Acer 56x CDROM (From old PC - I need to swap this out too at some point)
Enermax 350w power supply
Swiftech MCX462 HSF for the CPU (blades painted neon green using Tamiya acrylics =))
Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound (of course...)
Thermaltake Smart Case Fans (2x)
Azzo Computer UV neon (two tubes, one inverter, one switch)

I'm thinking of getting a second dual-neon setup but in blue, and mounting it as a mirror image of the UV ones, so that there would be a neon frame all the way around... hrm, the possibilities.

I so love it when you talk dirty to me. ***drools profusely and decides to go spend some "quality" time with herself before heading to work*** :p

blincoln
6th Jul 2002, 19:16
Hahahahah, thanks Umah.

*wonders if he should mention his quad-Xeon capable rackmount IBM server*

=)

Umah Bloodomen
6th Jul 2002, 19:31
:eek:

***faints from being way too hot and bothered***

dago
6th Jul 2002, 20:26
it sounds like it is pretty much your old pc...but still nice specs...

dago
6th Jul 2002, 20:28
what size monitor is it?

dago
6th Jul 2002, 20:33
nice lava lamp to!

Jeffers
6th Jul 2002, 21:43
I want a PC like that, with that spec as well.

:(

But unfortunatly, I cant afford one, unless they come in real cheap at Aldi again.

:(

Jeffers.

blincoln
6th Jul 2002, 22:13
LOL, Umah =).

Dago: I have a 19" Viewsonic PF790. Like I said, a lot of the parts are from my old PC, but I'm going to be swapping them out as time permits. If you like the lava lamp, you should see the lightning tube that is just outside the frame of the picture.

Jeffers: What I did with the old PC was just to buy it in pieces as I could afford them. It took like three months, but it was worth it.

Umah Bloodomen
7th Jul 2002, 05:34
Well when the hosting gets its crap together I want to show this off for you. :p

Time Streamer
7th Jul 2002, 09:24
Those are great specs Blinc. With that setup you'll operate games 'n stuff for quite a while. Just got my own update process underway while ago and I'm aiming pretty much towards your specs, with few variations on hardware.

sam i am
7th Jul 2002, 09:35
wow sammy boy thinks you gots a really nice computer!
too bad sammy doesnt know much on the hardware side
he sticks to his editing stuff
its really pretty tho!
thats really cool that you built it yourself sammy wishes he could do that
but hes a dummy when it comes to putting anythin together.

congrats!

dago
7th Jul 2002, 10:22
games must run really well on that!

umah i only noticed ur sig now...nice one!

royalmarine1980
7th Jul 2002, 12:05
Very nice Blinc, where did you get the case from and how much was it?

blincoln
7th Jul 2002, 20:48
Hahahah, you are the best, Umah =).

Royalmarine1980: I ordered mine from directron.com since they had it the cheapest ($180). You can get them from a number of places, the manufacturer has a list on their site ( http://www.clearpc.ca/ ). I'd recommend personally calling them and verifying that they have it in stock, Directron's site claimed they did but it ended up being backordered.

Umah Bloodomen
7th Jul 2002, 20:57
I figured you'd get a kick out of that.
**ponders** Now if I could only fit the boots in it.... :p

DMK_Uriel
7th Jul 2002, 21:54
how much money did you spent with all the components those you took from the old and the ones you bought to put on this?

blincoln
8th Jul 2002, 00:32
Umah: http://www.peak.sfu.ca/~blincoln/The_Whole_Shebang.JPG

=)

Uriel:
MB (Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum): $175
CPU (AMD Athlon XP 1700+): like $130, they're less than $100 now.
Video (GF3): ~$350 (also a lot less now)
RAM (Crucial 512MB): ~$150 ("")
Santa Cruz: $75
Power supply (Enermax) : $60
Neon (Azzo) : $40
Fans (Thermaltake Smart fans): $20
CPU HSF (Swiftech MCX462): $60
HD (IBM 40GB): ~$100
DVDROM (Toshiba 16x): $40
CDROM (Acer 56x): ~$40
SCSI (Adaptec): got from a friend
Case (ClearPC): $180
Cables, etc.: ~$20
Keyboard (MS Natural Pro): ~$30
Monitor (Viewsonic PF790): ~$240 - refurb
Mouse (Logitech): ~$25
Floppy drive (Teac): $11

Total: About $1750. But keep in mind that that's spread out over the course of almost a year now.

Umah Bloodomen
8th Jul 2002, 00:38
:eek:

The evil things you do to me, Blinc. :p

I have to design a new sig because someone won't allow mine (eventhough it technically fits the requirements...so what it's more length than width...it's all good...LOL)

Back to the drawing board it looks like.

Umah Bloodomen
8th Jul 2002, 03:15
Blah...no boots....no PC. No homage to Blinc....They've taken my livelihood away I tell you!

**cries***

On a brighter note:

How'd this come out?

:p

blincoln
8th Jul 2002, 03:39
Very nicely done! The lack of references to me is sad though =).

Umah Bloodomen
8th Jul 2002, 03:46
I feel so empty.... **cries more***

blincoln
8th Jul 2002, 04:40
Aw, I hate seeing women cry. Don't make me post the unaltered shots I did for the Kain armour thing where I'm holding a plastic lightsaber as a stand-in for the Soul Reaver in order to get a laugh out of you =).

Umah Bloodomen
8th Jul 2002, 06:00
***Cries even more...shes practically drowning***

***whispers to Blinc*** Can you tell I really want to see that pic? :p

Time Streamer
8th Jul 2002, 18:09
This just keeps getting better and better. :)

blincoln
8th Jul 2002, 21:12
I made an executive decision and sent the pictures to Umah alone, since making her laugh didn't need to involve everyone else seeing me posing topless in faux leather pants and knee-high boots, holding a plastic Anakin Skywalker lightsaber and trying to look evil =).

Time Streamer
9th Jul 2002, 21:19
That would've been a frightening sight!
Even the censors of this board could've not taken it. ;)

Umah Bloodomen
10th Jul 2002, 01:24
Originally Posted by Time Streamer

That would've been a frightening sight!
Even the censors of this board could've not taken it. ;)

Actually, it looked pretty good from over here. :p

All hail the power of "executive decisions"... ***drools and faints*** ;)

blincoln
10th Jul 2002, 15:23
Haha, you are too flattering. I would have thought the lightsaber would move it from the "blinc centerfold" into "blinc you are a dork" category =). Thank you though.

darien_specter
10th Jul 2002, 23:34
WOW, that is a sweet machine. A clear PC with blacklights? I had not known such amazing things could be...

my mind is blown - look, there it goes... you can see it in my eyes...

blincoln
11th Jul 2002, 00:10
Thanks darien_specter =). AFAIK you have to build them yourself, but I do that anyway.