PDA

View Full Version : Head meshes: calling all mesh experts

Litepulsar
5th Jul 2002, 22:29
I use Metasequoia for editing Lara's meshes, this particular head mesh is of Sophia Leigh, but I've had the same problem with Lara. I save the dxf correctly as per Turbo Pascal's instructions, but when I re-import the headmesh back into Strpix, the faces get extra polygons (is that the right word?)

Here's what I mean...

before...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wiseangel1/sophia leigh.jpg

after...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wiseangel1/sophialeigh2.jpg

if anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it, thanks :D

Wee Bald Man
6th Jul 2002, 01:08
'Face' is used to describe a flat surface of a polygon.

'Polygon' is used to describe geometry of any shape (triangle, rectangle, etc).

Rectangle faces in meshes are actually made up of two triangles that share the same XY plane (you can't see the seam between them). When you import and export meshes between programs they can sometimes lose the information that 'hides' the seam. When this happens, all the rectangle faces show their true structure - that each face is made of two triangles.

This isn't a problem - it may require a little extra work to re-apply textures so that they are not misaligned. But otherwise, technically, nothing has changed as far as the game engine is concerned.

I don't use Metasoq so I don't know how to prevent this from happening - but unless you are finding it really difficult to re-texture your objects just ignore it because it won't affect the end result. :)

Hope this helps.

WBM

The Sage Of Time
6th Jul 2002, 05:04
Well Wee Bald Man pretty much said it, though i'd suggest using a program like Rhino.
It's never caused that to happen in all the time i've used it, though again the above isn't a problem.
True it does take a bit more effort to re-apply the textures but usually you can re-apply them properly.

Litepulsar
6th Jul 2002, 09:39
thanks guys, your advice was really helpful :D I don't mind taking extra time to reapply the textures :) I'm on a really low budget, so I can't afford Rhino, and I think the trial version either only lets you have so many saves, or doesn't export dxf.

Litepulsar
6th Jul 2002, 19:53
aagh it's driving me insane! It won't texture properly at ALL, and to be honest it's really doing my head in. Is there any chance that there's a 3d program out there similar to Metasequouia, that when reimporting back to Strpix, doesn't do that as pictured/mentioned above? Free, if possible lol. Rhino only lets you have 25 saves, and I can't afford to buy it. I really want to sort this problem, because it's really hindering me in my outfit design *sighs*

Level Planet
6th Jul 2002, 20:19
If I make a new head, I want to texture her head but for ex. if you texture her eyes it show the right side of her eye and if you flip it it shows the eye brow

PLEASE I REALY NEED HELP HERE

Litepulsar
6th Jul 2002, 20:36
LP, it sounds like you're having the EXACT same problem I'm having, I think that we should start using some other 3d program to edit head meshes, and just use meta for other objects.

Level Planet
6th Jul 2002, 20:55
Maybe TRWad can make an program to change and create new objects, that will be great help, Auto Cad(Someone said it was for free download) maybe that program will help(maybe I have never used it)

LarzBritsh
6th Jul 2002, 21:14
Level Planet-

Your problem is extremely common, in fact it isn't even a problem at all. When you make a new head mesh (or add or delete any faces), the texture placement infos are blank.

So you have to texture the mesh again, the hard way, you'll have to use a sequence of combinations of

alt-control-click, click, shift, and alt

Once you've got it the way you want it , don't use alt-control-click again on that face. If you export the newly textured mesh out, and import it in, the textures should be in place again (because now the texture placement infos are stored.

If you try as many combinations as you can and you've been trying for a long time. Find the same texture on another face that is textured correctly, control-click it, and click on the face that you were working on, and proceed from there, but you'll usually get it done quickly.

alt-control-click is very useful for reusing textures on another face.

Wee Bald Man
6th Jul 2002, 22:45
Re-texturing meshes is indeed a horrible job - but it doesn't matter what program you do it in. Everyone has to put up with the same difficulties that you are having. Core's artists did as well, they didn't have any more powerful tools for texturing (MAX is just the same). So, if it makes you feel any better, there isn't a magic shortcut or a solution to this.

One way to make it easier is to have Strpix running twice (2 Strpix windows open at the same time), place them side by side and jump back and forth between the two so that you can refer to texture orientation of the original.

The good news is that the more you do it, the more your brain starts to sub-consciously do the work for you - it begins to understand the mapping co-ordinates and before you know it, your fingers are doing the work for you. Like anything which is difficult - it becomes easier with practice. :)

So don't give up! ;)

WBM

Litepulsar
7th Jul 2002, 00:47
WOOHOO! sorry for shouting....I noticed when I imported the head mesh into Meta, that the unwanted lines appeared there, so I just removed them, corrected them following the head mesh in Strpix as a guideline (mainly the mouth and eyes I was having problems with) and it reimported back ok!! The textures are a little fiddly, but I believe I can fix that :D I'm glad I didn't give up *grin* Thank you all for your help!

MountainDewNut
7th Jul 2002, 00:52
All great people have to go through trials in order to become great.
I can't wait to see what you'll be able to do when you get done with all those trials.

Litepulsar
8th Jul 2002, 19:11
awww thanks MDN :D