PDA

View Full Version : New "thing" in Baffords???

RicknMel
5th Jul 2002, 14:51
I was just playing around in Baffords and I found something...I think?

OK...Start off by going under those steps where you can flip the lever to get outside via side exit. (Not return to the main streets...but go outside to a new set of streets you couldn't get to from your starting point)

That was confusing, but I hope someone knows where Im talking about....Anyways...

Now go outside and take a right, and follow the street till it bends left a little. There's kind of a "peak" in the road there. Stand right in the middle of that peak and turn your sound up. You can hear a bar scene or party or something real faint. What is that? Can you get to it somewhere?? I'm thinking about finding all the crates I can get my hands on and trying to get on all the roofs in that area.

.....or firing up DromEd :D :p

BrokenArts
5th Jul 2002, 15:02
Rick, be more specific, I am racking my brains trying to think of where you are talking about. I'm think of the final exit. But, that is not where you are talking about I presume.

Aaahh now, now, don't cheat. :p Do it the old fashion way, crate stacking, jump, climbing, come on, you can do it. :D
If you wouldn't mind, describe in more detail where you are?
I have been thinking about going through the OM missions again myself.

RicknMel
5th Jul 2002, 15:28
Actually it may be the final exit. I haven't played the mission through to the end in a long time...so I don't remember. I'll try again.....

OK.........You're on the first floor.
You're in the hallway with all the pillars and torches (yeah..thats real descriptive) :rolleyes:

Alright..just looked at the map. Duh!

OK...first floor map. Northern side it says "Exit to street?"

Go out there....then take a right....follow the street till it curves left and there's a "crest" in the street. Stand right in the middle of it...you'll hear the sound. It's seems louder if you're turned towards the little building on your left.
:)

Edit~~~~~~~~~
I just found the same exact "party noise" another place...
When you first start the mission...go straight (like your heading to the arrow cache) and about halfway around the building in that alley you can hear the same thing. I don't know why I never heard it before??

Vanguard
5th Jul 2002, 15:59
I know where you are talking about. One the first floor is a drunk that stands in place by a rear door (that leads into the back passages for the servants and the stairs to the basement). On his same side but towards the front is a passage where you find the switch that opens the side gate. Actually those backstreets do have a purpose if you're into climbing up onto the roof from there; tote out some crates to get up onto the wall and then onto the roof.

The bar noise is just for ambience. If you noticed, when you were taking the streets to the back well, there was also some bar noise over there, too.

Gumdrop
5th Jul 2002, 16:00
yeah I remember the laughing and banter drifting out from somewhere in the streets at the begining, but I thaught it was just a splash of ambience to help with the mood. I do hope I'm wrong though...That would be cool to find something in the very first OM after all these years. :)

Old Man
5th Jul 2002, 22:39
I stacked crates to get up to look into the room with the bar sounds near Bafford's front door. Just an empty cinder-block room.

ChowYunFat
5th Jul 2002, 22:47
A lot of FM's use this ambient sound. It always makes me start looking around for where the bar is!!! Maybe the Crippled Burrick is just around the next corner.

Optik45
5th Jul 2002, 22:56
You'll Find that same ambient when your playing "Undercover". I think I need to try tp get on that roof. For all these years I thought Ive done all I could on Baffords.

Vanguard
6th Jul 2002, 07:06
As far as I've heard, I'm the only one that has gotten into the attic (hop up in the secret passage to the throne room to see the attic). Don't get in a rush to find out how to do it. I was leaning forward, sideways, forward and sideways, while using crates to get over the wall but the ceiling is too low. I got in only due to a fluke in the game engine: occasionally you will pass through a bit of a wall or edge that will let you pass over or through it. It cannot be replicated. I found nothing up there except some pits out of which you cannot escape because they're too deep (unless you also piled some crates high enough to snatch over the wall back in the secret passage). What intrigued me was that I could see light coming through one of the banners in the throne room into the attic (the banner's backside is lit but there's no actual light raying into the attic). I was going to investigate when I fell into a unseen pit, got stuck, had to reload, and never managed to get back into the attic again (I didn't have a save when I was up there). This was an area the designers admitted that they forgot about.

When on the roof, there are areas that you can drop down into to investigate. But be sure to do a save first. Many of them have no escape.

Vanguard
6th Jul 2002, 07:15
Oh, forgot to mention. If you're looking to get onto the roofs, the ways I remember using were (and each one required crates):

- At the wall to the forward right of the drunk guard on the street at the back well.

- In the back streets (gotten to using that side gate previously mentioned), you'll find a short wall you can stack crates to get up onto.

- In the central courtyard using the 2nd floor entrances to get up on the walkways, piling up crates to get over that wall.

There's probably a couple other spots, too. I don't remember if I could pile crates up at those outside gates that blocked the front streets from the back streets to get atop their buttress and then onto the roof, but I do remember I did that to get between these streets before finding that side gate from the inside.

Ever deliberately got the guards to chase you around the pool so they eventually drop into the pool and drown? This lets you kill guards without violating the no-kill objective (on Expert). Doesn't work too well with archers, however, since "you're a pincushion now, taffer" (i.e., they'll stop to zing you with arrows).

I don't know how many times but it was a lot before I even realized there was a lever on the outside of the front door gate. So if you draw off the guards from there, you can manage to go in through the front door.

I did manage to use crates to get above the alcoves where the archers watch over the front lobby. If you look up, you'll see that above the ceiling for their alcoves is a space between that ceiling and the mansion's vaulted ceiling. Nothing to find up there. Just wanted to go everywhere possible and it's interesting to see how the architecture fits together in the mission.

Lytha
6th Jul 2002, 09:26
Vanguard,

the roof in Bafford's is easy, and requires no crates!

Just hop onto the railing of the upper parts of the inner courtyard, turn to face the outer wall. And then do a run&mantle.

From there, you can reach most of the other roofs, exception is the front part because there's a magical wall in the way... but that can be reached with some crates in the entrance area.