PDA

View Full Version : Full AutoMap tutorial - any interest ?

Zaccheus
5th Jul 2002, 11:59
I'm considering doing a very detailed automap tutorial, a step by step guide that takes you through each action, and was wondering if anyone would be interested.

Having just put automaps into TRC v2, the process is still fresh in my mind.

Lytha
5th Jul 2002, 12:16
Yes! I would love such a tutorial! :)

theBlackman
5th Jul 2002, 14:50
I'm with LYTHA

The tutorials I have seen are OK but I'll take all the help I can get.

stikboy
5th Jul 2002, 15:46
Yes please !!! The more tutorials on something, usually the better.

Gumdrop
5th Jul 2002, 16:36
In a word...Yes. :)

Thorin Oakenshield
5th Jul 2002, 18:16
See above posts :)
I would like to have your tut on my tut's page too if you don't mind:confused:

Stile451
5th Jul 2002, 18:38
I'm currently updating my maps tutorial, it's about 3/4 finished, take a look.

Version 2 Alpha (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/dromed/maps.htm)
Ugly Huge Version 1 (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/dromed/mapv10.htm)

Less than 300 kb total is what I'm shooting for in size(currently it's 258 kb:D).

Input is always welcome.

Like stikboy wrote, the more tutorials on something the better. We each write differently, what someone may not understand in mine they may understand in yours.

I look forward to it.:)

Thorin Oakenshield
5th Jul 2002, 19:00
Originally posted by Salvage
Input is always welcome.

I really like your version 2;) Mind if I host it?:confused:

Stile451
5th Jul 2002, 19:34
Glad you like it:)

When I'm finished it you can host it, it's just an alpha version at this stage(if you didn't notice the last few things aren't added yet).

I should be finished in a few days unless I have problems(which is possible with the add maps non-linear section).

Zaccheus
5th Jul 2002, 19:45
That's pretty cool Salvage!

The nice thing is that it is slightly different from the approache I'm taking. My tutorial will talk you through creating a concrete mini-mission file step by step, so our tutorials should complement each other quite nicely.
:)

Apache
7th Jul 2002, 23:17
Originally posted by Salvage
I'm currently updating my maps tutorial, it's about 3/4 finished, take a look.

Version 2 Alpha (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/dromed/maps.htm)
Ugly Huge Version 1 (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/dromed/mapv10.htm)

Less than 300 kb total is what I'm shooting for in size(currently it's 258 kb:D).

Input is always welcome.

Like stikboy wrote, the more tutorials on something the better. We each write differently, what someone may not understand in mine they may understand in yours.

I look forward to it.:)

I am SOOOOOOOO stupid..I never even thought about doing a screenshot from DromEd to make my maps..I always drew them by hand..*smacks forehead*
But here is a tip for your tut. After you me only that section you want and have it zoomed in ..Instead of using PrintScreen just type in the Command window
screen_dump
this will take a screen shot of just the DromEd window..and save it in your Thief folder..dump000.pcx or whatever number happens to be next in line.

Stile451
19th Jul 2002, 04:56
Thanks Apache, I've added it to the tutorial, and I've made another update(added map out rooms objective), same url as I posted above.

schwaa
21st Jul 2002, 18:55
That's a great indepth tut Salvage,

I'm currently following it but am having one problem.

How exactly do you save the pink and green rooms. Are you just saving that layer? It just doesn't seem very clear to me, I've read it a couple times but can't figure it out.
----------
i opened up some maps from intrface.CRF and took a look. It seem like there is one complete map

p003.pcx

Two maps, one has a green square on a section (p003RA.pcx)
one with two green squares (p003RB .pcx)

and three map segments, each containing one of the squares from the two maps above (p003r000.pcx, p003r001.pcx, and p003r002.pcx).

There is no blank map, associated with these. Its mission 10.

--------------------------
I'm not understanding how it works.

I want a blank map (with the starting room) that maps out as the player goes. I've got the map finished in PhotoShop, just don't know exactly how to save each room.

I take it you want to crop each square and save it according to room numbers.

But do I save a completed map too? Do I need a map with all the squares or some of them on it?
--------------------------
OK, I've made a map <b>p000ra.pcx</b> and it has a few pink/green squares, I made the .bat file to run cutout and makerect but when I run it I get an error.

Can't open p000ra.pcx

I got a .bin file, just no cutouts.

Lytha
21st Jul 2002, 20:17
*hops around*

That's something with a graphic program that I could manage to get working! ;) But only thanks to Salvage's tutorial for it! :)

You do not need to make any layers for the pink and green p00XrY.pcx files. Just paint on the image with the pencil tool - you can do it in Gimp or in Paint or whatever you prefer. The "square"-tool of Paint comes in handy for the pink boxes, IMHO. :)

What you need in the end are:

- A normal map, no green, no pink (page00X.pcx)
- several maps with ugly pink and green boxes (p00Xra.pcx, p00Xrb.pcx, etc)

Then dump all the p00XrY.pcx files into a folder, dump the mapper tools plus your map.bat into it as well, and let the mapper sort out the rooms for you, do it for each of the maps separately or it will screw everything up. And then you've your small room objects. (p00Xr00Z.pcx), the X and Z is what you need for your rooms then. :)

I had a similar error message at first, and realized then that I had named my green&pink map "page00Xra.pcx", dumb as I am. After I made sure I had everywhere the correct names, it worked like charm. :)

Stile451
21st Jul 2002, 20:25
I think you missed the part about the mapper programs taking care of cropping the room images and setting up the bin file(you'll notice that the ra image in the tut is not cropped at all, step 3 in automaps).

Do you think that if I added the other 3 maps to the tut it will be better explained?

Get the beta demo (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/dromed/download/downloads.htm) for what you're trying to do. (It's architecture, some objects, some lights).

Spent so much time putting together the download page and the mission Lytha beat me to it.

schwaa
21st Jul 2002, 20:36
OK, I think I've got it all now.

I made three maps p001ra,...rb, ...rc

but I keep getting an error when I try to run the mapper tools.
----------
Something weird with my comp?

I can't look at PCX files since I installed WindowsXP. Only in Photoshop. Would this have to do with the error?

If so <b>could someone run my maps through the tools for me?</b> it would be greatly appreciated.
--------
I tried to extract the Beta and got a bunch of winrar errors. My comp doesn't like .pcx I guess

Stile451
21st Jul 2002, 20:48
Send 'em my way, if they're under 1 meg you can e-mail them to me: seahawk74@hotmail.com

Otherwise you can post them on some webspace and I can pick them up from there.

edit: I've just checked the demo archive and it extracts fine, so I guess your computer doesn't like pcx files.

schwaa
21st Jul 2002, 21:08
Thanx Salvage, they are on their way.

Stile451
21st Jul 2002, 21:39
I can understand why there's a problem, it isn't saved properly. I'll fix em up for you, you'll have em back within the hour.

Actually, there's a few problems, something that I didn't know about, and will be added to my tutorial. The pink boxes lines can only be 1 pixel thick, and I thought of an easier way to save to the proper format.

Stile451
21st Jul 2002, 22:27
Schwaa, I've sent you an e-mail where you can pick them up.

It was rather odd how the tools dealt with lines more than 1 pixel thick, to my surprise there were 2500 new images before I could stop the programs:eek:

All fixed now, I'm glad it was caught now instead of after it was finished and released.:D

schwaa
21st Jul 2002, 23:29
Thanx!

:( i didn't realize they had to be one pixel, Whoops.
------------------------
What was wrong with how I saved them? I just saved in .pcx format.

Lytha
22nd Jul 2002, 00:21
Yep, they need to be precise as the builder himself (or the like). I had smeared a little bit on one of my p00XrY.pcx's (one pink box has an extra pixel in one end), and it made an odd 1KB file - when opening it in a graphic program, the program would tell me that it ran out of memory space.

I made the box a bit bigger and let the mapper run again over the files. :)

schwaa
22nd Jul 2002, 01:04
Awesome, my first auto map works!!!

Kindof, I'm trying to get a blank page to be there, currently there is only that purple missing map color behind my rooms.

Thanx for the custom maps Tomi!

Zaccheus
24th Jul 2002, 13:15
I'm almost finished with my tutorial.

But I will need someone to test it for me, i.e. to make sure it's understandable.
Any volunteers?

Zaccheus
17th Jan 2003, 23:01
First draft - Automap Tutorial (http://www.rcl-software.org.uk/thief/automaptutorial/index.html)
First draft - Map Drawing Tutorial (http://www.rcl-software.org.uk/thief/automaptutorial/mapdrawing.html)

GlasW0lf
18th Jan 2003, 20:46
Zaccheus: No probs following the tutorial so far, please finish it so i can see my map. :D Cheers!

I have a short list of tidy-up things if you want - send me your email if you do.

Zaccheus
18th Jan 2003, 22:28
Erm, I forgot to mention that it is (at the moment) still for Thief 1.
Hope that doesn't cause you any problems.

The main difference is that for Thief 1, the 'map rooms' need to be coloured blue, while for Thief 2, 'map rooms' are coloured green where you do not want it coloured blue/yellow.
Look at miss1/english/Page001r000.pcx in res/intrface.crf for an example of a Thief2 map room file.

I'll get the tutorial finished as soon as I can.

EDIT:

It's done!
New Automap Tutorial - Now ready ! (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12510)