PDA

View Full Version : Pop/Rock music in levels?

LeeO
5th Jul 2002, 10:52
Can we use pop or rock music in our levels, or would that count as breaching copyright or something? I had planned to use music by Linkin Park, P!nk and the Sugababes in my levels, but I guess that'd result in a lawsuit?

Chronicles5
5th Jul 2002, 10:55
you can use the music for personal and private usage only, but the minute you release it to someone over the internet, on a disk, through email, etc. it is illegal unless you have the consent of the copyright owners :( but you can use it in a level you won't release, and btw, what linkin park song were you planning on using? (i really like linkin park :D)

LeeO
5th Jul 2002, 10:59
I was gonna use "Cure for the Itch" by Linkin Park, "Just Like A Pill" by P!nk and "Freak Like Me" by the Sugababes...

I was gonna use them in my TR Movie levels, so I guess that ideas out of the window then...

Chronicles5
5th Jul 2002, 11:20
well, if you manage to get a hold of pink and ask her if you can... :D

JohnnyZ
5th Jul 2002, 11:21
i was gonna use jenifer lopez in my first level until i got loads of rplies saying if i had Jlo in my level they wouldnt download it! LOL :D

Chronicles5
5th Jul 2002, 11:27
I wouldnt download it...:D would that be for a lara's house level you mean?? :( lol thatd be weird.

LeeO
5th Jul 2002, 12:25
Originally posted by JohnnyZ
i was gonna use jenifer lopez in my first level until i got loads of rplies saying if i had Jlo in my level they wouldnt download it! LOL :D

lol! I would've downloaded it... I quite like JLo

Phabius Phodes
5th Jul 2002, 18:09
Ok.

I have an instrumental progressive music project called Blezqi Zatsaz.

This project has an Official Website:

www.blezqizatsaz.com

In the "Recordings" page, there are the albums I´ve already released.

Among the track lists, there are some complete songs in MP3 for download (In zip files).

These songs are very symphonic. Check for "The Rising", "The Last Wisdom" and "Trip To Delirium".

Now the good news:

If you like to use these songs as soundtracks for your levels...

YOU CAN!

As the copyright is mine, I´ll let you use the songs as long as you put some credits on your readme file and e-mail me for permission first.

Greetings.

Fábio Ribeiro - Keyboardist/Producer

LarzBritsh
5th Jul 2002, 18:25
How about you give instructions in the readme file what to do.

When the user dls your level, you can tell them to get a certain song off the internet, rename it, and put it in the audio folder. Then the level will be like you want it to be for the user.

You are not distributing the song in any way, and the user is doing it himself (for his own lesuire ;) ) so it's perfectly legal.

Level Planet
5th Jul 2002, 21:46
I have download the Mission Inpossible 1 theme and want to know if I my use it on my level and release it on the net?

LarzBritsh
5th Jul 2002, 23:53
I don't like the play TR listening to Pink or Linkin Park, when i play i like to listen to

*The Crash Test Dummies
*3 Non Blonde (aka One hit Wonder)
*Fleetwood Mac
*The Indigo Girls (the old ones, not the new one)
*Nelly (the rapper)
*P. Diddy

I enjoy their non-pop sound.
but it's best to not listen to anything while playing TR.

Vivi Ornitier
6th Jul 2002, 01:50
*Scratches Head* :confused:

I really can't see the point of putting rock/pop music in a level...it kind of ruins the atmosphere of the level...and even of the game...the level editor, after all, is exactly that....a level editor, and not a radio...

I'm not sayin' the music is bad (well except ALL of the pop music :)), Linkin' Park are great...but they just aren't 'Lara'.

I agree with Phabius Phodes, and think that symphonic pieces should be used, or perhaps, even other game music should be used....but not rock.

I know a lot of you will disagree totally about that...but I really can't see the point...

Sorry,

Vivi

LeeO
6th Jul 2002, 14:09
So Lara owns no cds or albums at all? how strange ;)

eTux
6th Jul 2002, 14:20
Originally posted by Vivi Ornitier
*Scratches Head* :confused:

I really can't see the point of putting rock/pop music in a level...it kind of ruins the atmosphere of the level...and even of the game...the level editor, after all, is exactly that....a level editor, and not a radio...

I'm not sayin' the music is bad (well except ALL of the pop music :)), Linkin' Park are great...but they just aren't 'Lara'.

I agree with Phabius Phodes, and think that symphonic pieces should be used, or perhaps, even other game music should be used....but not rock.

I know a lot of you will disagree totally about that...but I really can't see the point...

Sorry,

Vivi

Don't know about others, but I agree totally. The pop bands are nothing I want to listen to when playing a level. I don't listen to symphonical pieces every day, but I think they fit much more together with Tomb Raider, than any of the mentioned ones :)

daily raider
25th Jul 2002, 00:15
i don't think it's illeagal if u just use clips from the songs. did you consider stuff from the tr movie soundtrack or Rhona Mitra's L.C. female icon album? I've got clips from the rhona mitra one and i'll send them if you want and it's not illeagal

daily raider

Chronicles5
25th Jul 2002, 00:42
what about sounds from other games? is that legal? it had better be :D I want to use sounds from a great game Larzbritsh showed me, Heavy Metal: FAKK II. Thanx in advance! :)

Treeble
25th Jul 2002, 01:26
Originally posted by LeeO
I was gonna use "Cure for the Itch" by Linkin Park, "Just Like A Pill" by P!nk and "Freak Like Me" by the Sugababes...

I was gonna use them in my TR Movie levels, so I guess that ideas out of the window then...

You know what?
Cure for the itch is perfect as a background sound! :)

And in the end of this month their new CD is coming ("Reanimation") :D :D

Chronicles5
25th Jul 2002, 01:58
:eek: I love Linkin Park!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

V_Croft
25th Jul 2002, 10:31
LINKIN PARK ??? I love them!!! You know, here in Greece not that many people know them... :p But I like them very very much :D

@Chronicles5: I've played a demo of Heavy Metal: FAKK... I kind of liked the music at the title screen (if I remember well)

LeeO
26th Jul 2002, 15:59
Originally posted by TREEBLE

You know what?
Cure for the itch is perfect as a background sound! :)

And in the end of this month their new CD is coming ("Reanimation") :D :D

Yeah, there are no lyrics to it... so I thought it would be OK in Tomb Raider...

Chronicles5
26th Jul 2002, 16:36
@Chronicles5: I've played a demo of Heavy Metal: FAKK... I kind of liked the music at the title screen (if I remember well) [/B][/QUOTE]
I'm using quite a bit of Heavy Metal: FAKK2 Audio in my india level. Did you like the music that started Julie's Home level? I'm using that, and some background sounds. :)

V_Croft
27th Jul 2002, 09:07
@Chronicles5: Yeap, I think that's the one I'm talking about :)

Chronicles5
28th Jul 2002, 15:27
@V_Croft, Excellent!
That's the one, I'm using a ton of audio from that game. Anyone else played it? The music is incredible, you woudn't expect some of it from a game called Heavy Metal. :p I guess the lesson is: Don't judge a game by it's name. :D