PDA

View Full Version : The creator of Lara Croft

snickrep2002
5th Jul 2002, 03:51
I feel really bad for Toby Gard. He is the was the creator of lara croft and worked on the first tomb raider game. During development of tomb raider 2, he left because he had no control of her. Core was incontrol of Lara and Toby did not like the idea of lara being in the real world. He only wanted her to be known as Lara croft from tomb raider, not Lara Croft from........whatever. So what I mean is I think alot of people know lara croft better than tomb raider. Anyways I feel very bad for Toby because Core made their own plans with her and Toby did not get to control anything of Lara and the sad thing is that Lara croft is his creation. I think if Core did not take over Toby's creation, I think the tomb raider games would have been better(not that they are bad). I think the tomb raider series started going downhill after tomb raider II. Well what I just want to thank toby gard for making Lara Croft. He never really got credit on making her , so the point on this post is that I think we should all take our time and say thank you.:)

Aquarius
5th Jul 2002, 04:15
Thank you Toby Gard for making what is probably the greatest of all game characters and of games. :)

Lil Lara
5th Jul 2002, 04:20
So.. where did you find all this out? Poor, Toby. But, he is a very genius man! Hehe. Well, I don't think that the games have gotten worse after TR2, but I bet they would be way different if Toby was still in the mix. If only Core/Eidos(whichever) and Toby could've worked together..... oh well. Much thanks and appreciation to Toby!!:D

DaveJ
5th Jul 2002, 08:22
Just to clarify -

Toby Gard designed Lara and her original look.

He did not create the character.

She was already envisaged as Lara Croft when he was approached to design her. If he can be credited with anything, it is in creating the look we know today.

See "Lethal & Loaded" (if you can endure it) for a fuller explanation.

LARAMANIAC
5th Jul 2002, 09:44
I saw him being interviewed on the Gameplay channel about three months ago. From what I understood he only created her as a form not as a character!!!:p

thanhkim
5th Jul 2002, 09:47
Thankyou Toby Gard for making Lara look like such an angel. Thank all involved for having a part in creating Lara/TR.

GoranAgar
5th Jul 2002, 10:01
Originally posted by thanhkim
Thankyou Toby Gard for making such an angel.
You never read other people's replies, do you?

Shelly Raider
5th Jul 2002, 11:10
It seems a shame that he had to leave but seriously what more could he really do once he had created the way that Lara looks, I mean they aren't gonna just go and change her features totally making her look like a different person for each game..

don't get me wrong toby obviously rocks and so do his ideas but I think that he has already done all he could (in terms of Lara's appearence)

hope that made sense to you all :eek:

Chronicles5
5th Jul 2002, 11:18
well, I show my appreciation to whoever you guys agree really made lara/tomb raider :D

V_Croft
5th Jul 2002, 11:58
Originally posted by Chronicles5:
well, I show my appreciation to whoever you guys agree really made lara/tomb raider

Yeap, so do I!
:D

THE True Lara
5th Jul 2002, 14:15
Originally posted by DaveJ
Just to clarify -

Toby Gard designed Lara and her original look.

He did not create the character.

She was already envisaged as Lara Croft when he was approached to design her. If he can be credited with anything, it is in creating the look we know today.

See "Lethal & Loaded" (if you can endure it) for a fuller explanation.

NO, NO, no! Were'nt you watching properly, Lara is wholey Toby's creation, the look, who she is, name nationality, hobbies. Have a read of the old Game Spot interview with PR lady and she briefly mentions how they worked from Toby's ideas of what he wanted Lara to be. http://extra.gamespot.co.uk/pc.gamespot/action/tombraid2/interview2/04.html

Sorry, I just can't bare to see Toby robbed here as well.....

DaveJ
5th Jul 2002, 14:21
I watched properly.

The idea of having a female video-game Tomb raiding character was NOT Toby Gard's.

He designed her look ie face, clothes, accessories etc and envisaged her personality as a "psycho with a gun"...but he didn't come up with the idea of Lara...just the embodiment.

There is a difference there, moonpie.

THE True Lara
5th Jul 2002, 22:21
I watched properly.

The idea of having a female video-game Tomb raiding character was NOT Toby Gard's.

Err, yes it WAS his idea, because he got it from a number of different sources, but it was very much inspired, by Indy and some of his pet-favourite films like 'Tank girl', and they (at Core) were all really shocked he'd made a female character like that when he first showed them the sketches he'd done!

Obviously he didn't come up with the very first female character in a video-game, but he was the chap who came up with the idea of the game, Lara and having a female character for a Core game.

You blantantly weren't watching properly......

There is a difference there, moonpie.

and, what? How old are you, 12?

Thank you.

Bidy
5th Jul 2002, 23:48
HEY!!! :mad: ;) :D

DaveJ
6th Jul 2002, 08:25
No, I'm 37... cupcake.

You seem to be missing my point.

Did Toby Gard create Tomb Raider?
No.
The concept of Tomb raider was in place before Toby entered the fray.
Is he responsible for the way Lara appears in the games?
Yes.
The character could have turned out to be a man until that point, and it was Toby's drawings that swayed the team into making her a woman, but the backstory to Lara wasn't created by Toby... just the image and the attitude.

I did watch the doco, still have it on tape, but only watched it the once as it is so god-awful and I have to apologise to my eyes and ears to this day for subjecting them to such a patronising piece of crap....but the Toby story I was well aware of long before "Lethal & Loaded" became a criminal waste of DigiBeta.

THE True Lara
6th Jul 2002, 17:41
No, I'm 37... cupcake.

You seem to be missing my point.

Did Toby Gard create Tomb Raider?
No.
The concept of Tomb raider was in place before Toby entered the fray.
Is he responsible for the way Lara appears in the games?
Yes.
The character could have turned out to be a man until that point, and it was Toby's drawings that swayed the team into making her a woman, but the backstory to Lara wasn't created by Toby... just the image and the attitude.

Okay, last time, he did create the Tomb Raider concept, and in various interviews he openly admits he ripped off Indiana Jones to do it! I got your point, and I don't know what you've been watching or reading, but you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick.

Right, to help prove my point I have gone back and watched that awful docu for the 6th time and captured the relevant bit of video. You'll find the section at http://members.lycos.co.uk/rsid/toby.zip sorry I couldn't make the size smaller, it's a zipped mpeg, and covers the first 2min+ interview bit with Toby and Jeremy, for those of you who are interested. But I'll quote the most relevant part for you here;

Jeremy Heath-Smith: "Toby Gard said 'well, you know, I've got this idea for this game of sort of going into tombs and pyramids' and I was like, eh', that's kind of interesting.'.....got a call in my office, 'Jeremy you've got to have a look at this, got a new character' I went down, and it was like this female character, and I was like 'wow, well Toby that's a pretty big change.' "

TOBY's idea!
Tomb Raider as a game, let alone Lara, wouldn't have happened if Toby hadn't come up with the idea. Core had no Tomb Raider game plans or ideas before Toby came along. The idea of the 'tomb raiding' game came from Toby's interests, just in the way that he's now gone and made 'Galleon'. The game idea and Lara are both credited to him.
This is just a tiny piece of the evidence I have lined up. You'll find in the grand scheme of things Jeremy is one of the more honest of the Core lot, where as Adrain Smith always says 'we' came up with the idea of such and such, never mentions Toby's name and clearly would have liked to have invented her all by himself.

Plllleeeeeeaaaasssssssseeeeeee, give Toby the credit he rightfully desrves and quit taking Core's side. The poor chap has suffered enough.

BTW
If people are interested enough I'm considering mpeg'ing the whole of the docu and hiding it on the interent somewhere for those people who can't get hold of a copy to watch.

...and Dave, don't call me cupcake.

Ta.

-oh, and no offence Bidy :)

DaveJ
7th Jul 2002, 08:48
Please don't subject people to that godawful programme! It really does its darndest to paint "weirdo" on the forehead of anyone who ever played a TR game!

I have always based my info on the "Official Lara Croft magazine" which came out to tie in with TR:LR a few years ago. Whether they played down Toby's involvement because he had quit, I don't know.

And now I need the damn thing, I cannot find it.

I am in no way decrying Tobys efforts as he did a great and memorable job.

But at the end of the day, its just a game and not worth getting as het up about as you have been, rosebud.

Still...good to feel alive once in a while, eh? ;) Man this place has gotten stale since the move!

Where are the old timers?
Deekman?
Foxybunny?
Nohj Ekim?
ShirleyC?
Catsuit&Ponytail?
Henners?
Brian28?
Rod?
BUELLER?

LARAMANIAC
7th Jul 2002, 20:43
DaveJ - I'm hurt!!!!!!!:eek:

Aquarius
8th Jul 2002, 01:55
This is sounding like another msn episode!!

No offense to either one of you.....:eek:

THE True Lara
8th Jul 2002, 08:30
Sorry Aquarius, but I just get rather protective when it comes to Toby, I mean he always looks so defensless doesn't he, and he's had such a hard time from everyone, and being a victim of other peoples plagarism in the past myself, well, in the words of Mungo the chief ; "It makes me mmaadddddd, mmmaadddddddddd, I tell you!"