PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep motivated?

Thorin Oakenshield
4th Jul 2002, 18:17
I'm finding it hard to keep motivated while trying to get my fm finished. There's always something else cropping up, Kids, Animals or the wife:D

I'm nearly there but I wondered how you other taffers keep going:confused: I feel like having a long break yet I want this project finished.

BrokenArts
4th Jul 2002, 19:03
Well, you guys help to keep me motivated. :p Seriously though, it is the summer, other things tend to crop up more. The winter, people are in front of there computers more taffing away.

I was going to start a thread and ask how much do you play anymore. I play about once a week. Sometimes more or less. I think getting away from it is good, and needed sometimes. I myself have gotten overwhelmed with T2X, beta testing, and everything else in between. If I step back, and take a breather, well, I miss it. Thief, as we all know, is like no other game. I play because I still love the damn game. And when I go with out it for a few days or more. I get the itch to play again. Just ran throw some of the FM contest entries, some of the short missions are great! Just enough to satisfy, I love the short missions as well as the long ones. One that I enjoyed here lately, was The Ties that Bind, that was great!

Thorin, I know that you are close to being done, plug away at it. Releases have slowed down a bit, so the itch for something new to play, is coming for me. I know to Apache is just about done with SSDD! I wanna play that one too.

Clayman started some threads talking about some of the FM's that he was playing, discussing them in detail. That should be done more often, might keep us motivated more.

FINISH YOUR FM...............we await we beta breath....haha. :D
;) Hey I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!! Can I??? Please........please......

OK.....we need some new FM's DAMNIT!!!! :D :p

Xcom
4th Jul 2002, 20:39
Maybe you should take a break for a while. Do other stuff, thief unrelated. Play other games.

RicknMel
4th Jul 2002, 21:16
Originally posted by Xcom
......Do other stuff, thief unrelated. Play other games.

Blasphemy!! ;) :p

Actually...I wish I could help Thorin, but I have the same problem....
50% - Not motivated
50% - No time

...but I know "The Wheel" is waiting...and I'll get back to it sometime. It's not going anywhere :)

Thorin Oakenshield
4th Jul 2002, 21:49
Thanks Guys ;)
I think I'll plug away at it tomorrow and get as much done as I can. It should be done by next weekend If I can keep motivated.

RiCh
4th Jul 2002, 22:01
I feel for you Thorin, I really do! I know what you’re going through, as I’ve been there myself. Personally speaking the hardest part of making an FM is actually finishing it! No matter how many times you re-play the mission thinking you’ve finally finished it, you’ll always find something else that needs to be done. And re-playing your FM over and over again, for me, was soul destroying. I can safely say I hate my FM’s and will probably never play them ever again. BUT I’m pleased I finally finished making and released a few, but I’m also sad that I’ve failed on making some others. I guess you win some and you lose some?

I’d say have a break, do other things, hey its summertime( but you wouldn't have guessed it with the weather we're having eh?) play some other games, BUT I don’t recommend playing Morrowind! You’ll become addicted to it and you’ll never get around to finishing you FM. Plus it really does look amazing! Stay clear is my advice, at least until you’ve finished your FM!

The end of the day we’re not going anywhere, and it really looks like we won’t be seeing T3 for ages let. So you have plenty of time to finish you FM, just don’t feel pressured into finishing it.

Thorin Oakenshield
4th Jul 2002, 22:09
Thanks Rich, I've had a lot of help with parts of my fm from a certain taffer. I view this person as a good friend and I feel like I'd be letting him down. Does this make sense? I know he'll understand. I guess I'm a bit scared too because there are so many BETTER fm's out there.

I'll throw a dice tomorrow:D I WILL finish it before the end of summer though :rolleyes:

RiCh
4th Jul 2002, 22:31
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
I guess I'm a bit scared too because there are so many BETTER fm's out there.

Yeah…I’ve often thought that too, but I guess that’s life? You’ll always find someone who’s better at doing something than you. And I’ve often thought why would people want to play my FM, when there are so many better ones to play. But I think real fans of the game don’t look at it that way. Instead they are just grateful of another FM to play for their favourite game. So keep at it m8 I’m sure you’ll get there :)

RiCh
4th Jul 2002, 22:46
Hey Thorin what time do you usually go to bed? Maybe its some sleep you need not motivation?:p

Thorin Oakenshield
4th Jul 2002, 22:50
Usually around midnight each night:eek: I get up around 7-8 am to get my son ready for school (7 weeks holiday next week. Yipee:rolleyes: :D )

Talking of sleep:o

ChristineS
7th Jul 2002, 11:44
Thorin, think about the great feeling, when you can write in this forum: "My Fanmission ist ready!!!" :D
And go to bed earlier.... ;)

Thorin Oakenshield
7th Jul 2002, 17:51
Thanks Christine, Yeah I hope that day will be soon;)
I love it when I complete my goal. I think I'll have a few early nights then get stuck in. I don't really have that much to do now:)

Thanks Everyone;) ;)

Zaccheus
7th Jul 2002, 22:13
What keeps me motivated?

Hmm, I just LOVE it. Creating something out of nothing. Doing something that other people will enjoy. Like an artist painting a picture. It's a drive that is embedded deep in humanity. We are creative beings.
:)

I must say that hearing people appreciate FMs is a major boost. If you liked an FM, let the author know.

Apache
8th Jul 2002, 00:58
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
I guess I'm a bit scared too because there are so many BETTER fm's out there.

There aren't any "bad" FMs..just less played ones..Any FM that keeps Thief alive alittle longer is great in my book. Just keep plugging away at it..I found it easier when dealing with a larger FM..MEONLY sections at a time and work on them to completion..Then move on..doesn't seem as overwhelming that way. Plus like the others said..stop and take 2 steps back..clear your mind and the when the mood hits you'll fly thru it.

frobber
8th Jul 2002, 21:16
Once I'm deep into the design, the goal now is to finish, not to fully expect that everything planned will make into the mission. Most of all, I need to avoid the biggest temptation -- adding new ideas (unless they're really central to the game and don't add more than a few minutes of work).

When I run out of steam, I combine ideas, toss out unimportant details, or even steal some terrain from Thief (anybody notice that the grave yard in Hallucinations was taken from Thief 2?).

When the project seems too big, cut back the scope and focus on what really needs to work.

My way to stay focused is to pick something that can get done in one design session -- even if it's just the first half of something a little bigger. Last night, for example, the goal was to build a small chapel interior. Tonight's goal will be to add a few details and a small side room, and decide if I like the lighting.

I rarely say I have to "finish this FM" -- I try to say I need to finish this chapel, or whatever I'm working on at the moment -- something that seems more within reach. The project may not be done tonight, but at least something is done. And that seems to help me a lot.

Having finish two FMs, the lists do get shorter, and the things remaining do become less important, until the day comes that I really can say that it's good enough!

I'll do just about anything to keep from feeling like I'm grinding my way through because I'm almost always far more productive when the creative juices are flowing. If I'm not feeling like building, then I may just wander around, make a few notes and later leaf through these notes until something grabs my fancy (I also draw black lines through ideas that are not worth implementing!). Or I'll listen to sound clips that might be usable. Or I may review my script to see if I really like the wording of the scrolls I have planned.

Back off. Go easy. And search for ways to break it into pieces so you can work on what you're finding interesting.

Also, don't worry about what other people are building. Just build it the way you want it done using what you know right now.

Thorin Oakenshield
8th Jul 2002, 21:28
Well thanks to ALL you guys;)
I've just split everything that's left into smaller goals.
When I get stuck in again I'll work on one step at a time to plug through it. Thanks for suggestions and idea's:)

Peter_Smith
9th Jul 2002, 07:44
Yes, Frober, I noticed the graveyard. It's pretty obvious, right down to the door switch. I just didn't say anything.:)

Keep plugging away Thorin. You make it, we will play it.:)

Komag
9th Jul 2002, 08:51
Originally posted by Zaccheus
What keeps me motivated?

Hmm, I just LOVE it. Creating something out of nothing. Doing something that other people will enjoy. Like an artist painting a picture. It's a drive that is embedded deep in humanity. We are creative beings.

That's EXACTLY how I feel about Dromeding! :D It's my creative thing, my hobby. Some paint, some woodwork, some garden, (all creative endeavors of one sort or another), I currently Dromed. It's my outlet, my area to explore and build as I wish, as simple or complex as I wish.

I also agree that we are generally creative beings. Not to make too religious a thread, but I believe that we are created in the image of God and part of that image is creativity :)

Zaccheus
9th Jul 2002, 09:34
Originally posted by Komag

I also agree that we are generally creative beings. Not to make too religious a thread, but I believe that we are created in the image of God and part of that image is creativity :)
Exactly.