PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Raz in SR3

Power reaver
4th Jul 2002, 05:24
Thought I make my first poll

Lady Kreliana
4th Jul 2002, 06:31
I think it'd be cool if he was a little more detailed. Maybe his muscles and bones could look a little more realistic. :) That's how I'd like for his character model to be improved.

tannahj
4th Jul 2002, 07:08
I think he's pretty much fine the way he is - especially since he's so detailed yet moves so fluidly on screen, unlike some characters in some new games. *cough*Kain*cough*

I'm diggin' the new hair for SR2, though. Moving hair is good.

Lozza Mate
4th Jul 2002, 11:51
perhaps they could make the muscles 3-dimentional

Power reaver
4th Jul 2002, 13:07
I want him to look more like his FMV counterpart , the one in the SR2 intro , with longer and more tatared wings , but a little less detail would be OK .

Azuriel
4th Jul 2002, 22:17
Originally posted by Power reaver
I want him to look more like his FMV counterpart , the one in the SR2 intro , with longer and more tatared wings , but a little less detail would be OK .

i just want to say that i want to say i just want to say i agree with this agreement of the agreement of that statement.

confused? :D

Kain's Ancient Blade
4th Jul 2002, 22:45
i think he's fine the way he is. I would just like that maybe at some point in the game he is restored in some way. Maybe angelic wings and reconstructed jaw. like this u can actually fly in some point in the game.

LOK series. My anti-drug.

darien_specter
10th Jul 2002, 23:55
The glowing eyes, because they're so damn nifty in the cinematics...

KainSyndrome101
11th Jul 2002, 01:09
I would like the SR team to add "bump-mapping" to the character models. If you don't know, bump-mapping means that each individual feature on an object(in this case, the character models)is individually rendered.

If you go to the Bonus Features in SR2 and look at the character models when they're white, you'll see that there are no bumps where there should be. It's all super-smooth, because it's all one layer of polygons.

There is only one rendered object on the character models, and that, of course, are the models themselves.

darien_specter
11th Jul 2002, 02:48
Could you possibly go into a bit more detail here? Still not getting it... :)

KainSyndrome101
11th Jul 2002, 13:57
It's kind of hard to explain...

Well, for example - Kain's medallion(or whatever it is). It's held by the cloth that goes around his shoulders, and it's in the center of his chest. Now, when you look at Kain from the side, you'll see that there's no bump on his chest that represents the medallion. It's because the entire character model(I don't know about entirely though)is covered by one large layer of "skin," and that includes every object on Kain also. It's like a map, but the paper that it's on is shaped like Kain.

When you see the opening FMV again, you'll see that every object sticks out on Kain and Raziel. All FMVs have bump-mapping these days anyway, because the team can do a lot more with them, since it's seperate from the actual game. And, of course, FMVs are at least 10 times more detailed than the game itself.

Azuriel
11th Jul 2002, 14:21
hey that`s pretty interesting to know!

is an entire game in fmv style possible?

DMK_Azrael
11th Jul 2002, 15:17
Well its a good idea, but not possible(well not in these times, maybe in a future next) because this eras computers wouldn't be capable to run it...

hmmm my specs idea to run a "FMV" SR game:

Pentium X - 60Ghz
20Gb DDR
500Gb HD
GeForce 1000 - 10Gb
SB Live Super Real Enviramental Sound XXXXP
Windows 4000 or 4K

:p :D

Azuriel
11th Jul 2002, 15:27
Originally posted by DMK_Azrael
Well its a good idea, but not possible(well not in these times, maybe in a future next) because this eras computers wouldn't be capable to run it...

hmmm my specs idea to run a "FMV" SR game:

Pentium X - 60Ghz
20Gb DDR
500Gb HD
GeForce 1000 - 10Gb
SB Live Super Real Enviramental Sound XXXXP
Windows 4000 or 4K

:p :D

i see your point... but still, pc`s nowadays can do alot. maybe complete 3d models (every muscle, etc.) could be an option.

DMK_Azrael
11th Jul 2002, 15:45
Yep, but even that, you would need a super graphic card and lots of ram, not mentioning HD space...but its a good idea... :D

Serul
11th Jul 2002, 16:37
Bump-mapping only gives a surface the appearance of an irregular or bumpy look, but it will not give the model more poly's/detail. So even if they would add a bump-map to the medallion, it will only look "raised" if you view the model from the front and not from the side, it also depends on the direction of the lighting.

If you want to have the medallion "raised" you'll need to model it that way. And they didn't do that to save poly's to be used for example the head.
Another method would be to use a displacement-map, that would actuall deform the model based on the map and the density of the poly's, but that kind of mapping isn't supported for ingame graphics.

The actual polycount in the models are very different from eachother, for example the ingame model could have about 3500 poly's (the new Lara model for TR:AoD will have about 5000). But for the fmv version they could get as high as 50000, becasue more detail is possible. The amount of poly's that can be used (this includes the charater models, weapon models, enviroment and other stuff) depends on the strength of the machine.

Although today's graphics card are getting better and better, for example the GF4 can now render realtime fur, which wasn't possible before. But we're still a long way before you'll be able to play a game with fmv level of detail.

darien_specter
11th Jul 2002, 18:55
Thank you both, it's all clear now! :D

dago
11th Jul 2002, 22:39
i would chose option 1 and 2!

zleepy
12th Jul 2002, 00:50
your forgeting that this games come out for psx 2. and i dont think they make 2 diffrent games...

chuffy
18th Jul 2002, 18:14
i think glowing eyes would be better. Remember most of his physical self has being burned away. But as he get more power the eyes should glow more. To show his strength.

chuffy

darien_specter
18th Jul 2002, 19:09
And they've glowed from the beginning, in the cinematics anyway; they probably haven't been able to render that... yet... :D

Anubis_Orr
18th Jul 2002, 19:24
Originally posted by chuffy
i think glowing eyes would be better. Remember most of his physical self has being burned away. But as he get more power the eyes should glow more. To show his strength.

chuffy

ALL of his physical self was burned away.
And you know what they say "The eyes are the windows of the soul" I think that's why his "eyes" glow, because we are actually seeing into his soul. And would you really notice if the eyes were glowing more? Might be good in the opening cinematic of SR3, just after his fight with SRaziel his eyes start dimming as the Reaver absorbs him.

darien_specter
18th Jul 2002, 19:27
Ooooh, that would be cool... :D

Serul
18th Jul 2002, 20:47
Have you also seen that Raziel himself glows. You can see a glow edge surrounding him in the SR2 opening.

Anubis_Orr
18th Jul 2002, 22:21
Wish I could check..... but I uninstalled SR2 *gasp* "SACRILEGE, KILL HIM!!" Ran out of hard drive room on my 42gb hard drive :(. Soon as I buy a new one it's going back on, but I kept all my saves :)