PDA

View Full Version : New perception of Kain.

KainSyndrome101
4th Jul 2002, 03:37
When playing through BO2, and progressing through the story, didn't you feel that Kain was going through some extreme character development? When finished with the game, I felt that I had a much better understanding of his character, meaning, and determination. He doesn't seem like a character anymore, but more of a real being, struggling with his own mistakes and blind ambition.

At the end when he risks his life to close the gate by throwing the Nexus Stone into the vortex, you finally realize that he's beginning to shape up, into the much more caring, and less arrogant Kain of Soul Reaver. This is what I call true character, whether it be real or not. Only Crystal Dynamics can craft such a story, where heros become villians, and villians become heros.

Thanks C.D., for your bloody, soul sucking gothic tale.

Alright, I know that was a little melodramatic. Just trying to mimic Soul Reaver 2 in the dialogue department.

Umah Bloodomen
4th Jul 2002, 04:46
I don't think I can post a vote in this one. For the type of game it is, 1 player adventure/rpg type game. If perhaps it was stated as such (is it the best game series of this type) then yes I could possibly vote. But I play too many games with too many good storylines (all different in styles) to form a valid opinion.

LoK is by far amongst the best game series' I've played. But then again so is the Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross series (RPGs) and Silent Hill / RE's (Survival Horror).

;)

KainSyndrome101
4th Jul 2002, 14:13
Yeah, I definitely understand that. R.P.G.'s can really suck you in and make you forget about everything else. Final Fantasy VIII was awesome; it had an excellent story.

It's true that the Legacy of Kain series is both R.P.G. and Adventure, but I'd have to say that Blood Omen resides on R.P.G. more than Soul Reaver.

chinese-soul-eater
5th Jul 2002, 03:38
yea this game takes me far away

when i first played SR i saw kain as a bad evil man that needed to be killed

But during the series i see that he really isnt that

Even though i play alot of games with good storylines i still had to vote

games with good story lines are Resident Evil, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and so on i love those story lines

I seriously cannot wait for Onimusha 2 Samurai's Destiny and Devil may Cry 2

I want those games as soon as they come out

KainSyndrome101
5th Jul 2002, 04:48
So do I. Devil May Cry 2 is going to kick monumental a$$.

Power reaver
5th Jul 2002, 15:13
I think LOK has the best story line . For a Vampire game it is very close to true life .
For example , - good guys dont always win thing and there are a lot of sacrifices in the game and also a vast number of deaths .

chinese-soul-eater
6th Jul 2002, 03:03
Right on KainSyndrome101

I seriously cannot wait for Devil May Cry 2

You have to download the intro it Rules

And Onimusha 2 looks pretty good to

KainSyndrome101
6th Jul 2002, 14:27
Yeah, I've already seen the the preview, and it makes me want to say "let's rock!" again.

I also can't wait for Onimusha 2. I heard Samanosuke will be back for the third one. I hope he is, he's cool.

Reaper007
11th Jul 2002, 18:40
Edit: Was posted in the wrong place.

Reaper007

Reaper007
11th Jul 2002, 19:06
1) in SR1 he was the cruel dude remeber.
2) in BO2 u say he was becoming more caring?

HOW CAN U SAY THAT! SR1 HAPPENED AFTER THE EVENTS OF BO2!

in sr2 i saw kain being more understanding to raz at the pillars because raz dint know everything and was making choices on incomplete data.

when kain threw the nexus stone into the vortex he knew he had no choice, HE HAD TOO! there was no other way to close it.

u said "you finally realize that he's beginning to shape up, into the much more caring, and less arrogant Kain of Soul Reaver" keep in mind that in BO2 he was younger then he was in Sr1. after 1000 years a guy can change a lot!

Reaper007

KainSyndrome101
11th Jul 2002, 20:09
Kain wasn't cruel in SR1.

He was forced to do what he did! If he didn't throw him into the Abyss, the Soul Reaver would never be created and everything would go nuts.

Vampmaster
13th Jul 2002, 16:03
This is assuming that BO2 happened because of changing history in SR2: I think that by altering history in SR2 and introducing the Hylden to Kains past, this has taught the BO2 Kain more of what is going on, such as he is learning of the effects of Nupraptors corruption (it made him paranoid that Duma was a traitior) and also the purpose of the pillars are from meeting Janos and fighting the Sarafan Lord. This might have slightly effected his personality or al least made him more aware of the possible consequenses of his actions. He would have learned this anyway but now he knows earlier so fledgling Kain will plan some of his actions more carefully as the more experienced Kain from SR2 would.

PS: Devil May Cry was a good game but only had a basic plot. If DMC2 has a better one, then it would be a lot better. (But not better than LOK)

KainSyndrome101
13th Jul 2002, 16:41
Well, of course. DMC had almost no story whatsoever. It was all about gameplay, but a good story and more of it would've helped. Hopefully, DMC2 will be more story-oriented.