PDA

View Full Version : The ENTIRE PSM article!

LaraAngelOfDarkness
3rd Jul 2002, 22:43
THE STORY

In 1996, Tomb Raider redefined what adventure games could be. But with each uninspiring sequel, fans groans grew louder: "Its just more of the same-- Where's the innovation?" Now two years after the last PSone adventure, Lara is finally set to make her PS2 debut...... And she's got your innovation right here buddy.

It might take them awhile, but the developers a Core can take a hint. While the Tomb Raider series had countinued to sell well, the numbers were dropping, and the fans weren't happy. Core knew that something had to be done, and while one team was working on chronicles 2 years ago, a second group was busy reinventing the series for Laras jump to the Ps2.

So whats new then? First there's a much stronger focus on story.... the games detailed characters and wicked plot twists leave your head spinning. We actually know more spoilers then we would care to but here's the gist of it.

After going through the trauma of being left for dead in Egypt lara has reevaluated her life. Her tomb raiding days are over, and she doesn't give a crap about anyone or anything. She recieves a desperate call from Von Croy who needs her help in Paris. Lara hates this man for abandoning her in Egypt, but for reasons all her own she decides to meet with him.

Unfortunate for Lara she arrives to find him murdered. And crap the cops think she did it, and even worse they think she is the serial killer known as "the Monstrum", who is responsible for a long list of grizzly deaths. Now on the run, Lara is forced to go underground to find out whos framed her and whos really behind the killings, all while trying to clear her name with the police.

Lara meets with a shaddy character named Eckhardt, who as it turns out, hired Von Croy to find five relics known as the Obscura paintings. Although Lara does't realize the truth right away she hears rumblings that Eckhardt may have some ties with the Monstrum. Just who is this Eckhardt? And what is his connection with Von Croy? These questions are just the tip of the iceburg, as lara dives deeper into this dark mystery , the story opens up into a massive epic adventure. We can't say much more without ruining it, but heres one last tidbit lara must face off against a group calling themselves the Cabal: five powerful individuals that give off a Fox Hound(MetalGearSolid bosses for all those not knowing what they meant) feel. These people can distort reality, change their apperance, and twist the laws of nature(can you say boss battles?) From what we've heard they will be classic villians that we'll remember forever.

This game introduces a darker side of Lara, Shes desperate, on the edge.................definetaly not the Lara you knew. The title is definentaly not for show, The dark and complex story is definentaly not for kiddies, but the blood won't be enough to get an M rating by ESRB.

The story won't happen in cutscenes you have to talk to people to piece it together. Choices you make in conversation will affect your path on this adventure. All items are gained by interacting with other people------- contrary to what's been reported before you DO NOT collect money or buy items in stores.

Don't let the heavier story fool you the gameplay will still be heavily focused on tomb raiding(Or at least big mazelike buildings)The game play has been completly overhauled to provide a fresh experience. She now has 180 smooth animations(compared to the 25 in the last game)

Graphically this game is going to be a stunner. (and yes all those pics we have seen are from the ps2 version, now just think how the PC version would look! WOW!) Lara's figure is now made of 5000 polies instead of the 500 one of the past. The game will boast spectacular weather effects( the rain looks particulary impressive), moody lighting techniques, and reflective maps. The water is very impressive with nice reflections and distortions under water and great swaying on the suface.

Lara now has hand to hand combat with punches and kick, which works nicely with the new stealth based combat. Keys and puzzles will still be around although this time they will make more sense and not be put in random places.

Lara can now evolve her abilities meaning more running, better speed and so on although we have no idea on how this will work in the game.

Lara's first Ps2 title will hit in November and her others won't be to far behind about several sequels are already planned to be made spanding the next few years with the next 3 or 4 to be on the PS2 and Pc( this just makes us want to give our ps2 a really big hug) With Ps2 going online this fall we expect dowloadable stuff to be available to expand the story. And if Kurtis recieves well, he may just star in his own game.

So the future looks bright for Ms. Croft. If core can reach its high ambition level for this game, The PS2 may see a rebirth of a classic series. With so much ridding on the line, we're betting they come out with both guns blazzing.

TID BITS OF THE MAG OFF TO THE SIDE OF THE ACTUAL STORY:

TIME TO BE SNEAKY

-For this adventure, Lara will take a page out of Solid Snake's book with a sometimes stealthy, sneaky approach to the action.

-While the game will still focus primarily on the classic TR style action, the new stealth approach will help freshhen up the old formula.

-DON'T expect a long list of new weapons. Instead Core has actually trimmed down the list, geeting rid of weapons fans didn't like in the old games.

THE MYSTERIOUS KURTIS(second short article in the story)

For the first time ever Lara will share the stage with a second playable character, Kurtis Trent. While Lara is pretty clever at solving puzzles and navagating tricky jumps, Kurtis is a fierce warrior who will mostly focus on all-out-action.

Kurtis first meets Lara in Paris, while shes breaking into the Lourve in search of one of the Obscura paintings. You won't get to spend alot of time playing him, However, until you get to the second half of the game. There the creppy Strahov complex, Kurtis will go toe to toe with several nasty mutated creatures

While Lara has her twin pistols,Kurtis has a trademark weapon of his own: the Glaive. This razor-sharped disk can be thrown at enemies and even maneuvered in mid flight using Kurtis' limited telekinetic powers. If thats just a little to wacky for you he also carries a gun that kills monsters just as dead.

As the last remaining adept of an ancient order called the "Lux Vertatis", Kurtis is on a quest for revenge against those that wiped out the order and killed his father. He partners with Lara because their agenda are along the same path, BUT there is no great bond between them.

Although you will play a majority of the levels of as Lara, Kurtis will definentaly make his presence felt whens he's on screen, wether your controlling him or as part of the story. And if players take a liking to him Core hope to make him star in his own game at one point.

-Kurtis's levels should be a nice change of pace by the time you play through to the second half of the game. His heavy focus on action should mix nicely with Lara's "Hmmm where does this cave go?"-type gameplay. And really who hasn't ever wondered what it is like to throw a razor-sharp frisbee at someone?

NOBODY DOES IT BETTER

-Running, jumping, two guns a-blazing- it's damn good to see Lord Croft's little girl back in action. And with next gen PS2 graphics, to boot.

-Better control, cooler special effects, extra features--- all of the new additions are there to make the classic Tomb Raider experience the best its ever been.

FROM PARIS TO PRAGUE

- The game is split between two main locations, Paris and Prague, witheach hosting about 7 levels. In paris Lara visits the Lourve.

- Core is aiming to make the game a bit shorter and more accessible

- While Lara will have plenty of rats and bats in Paris, The Strahov complex in Prague will offer up twisted, mutated creatures that are just plain freaky.

COOL GRAPHICS

- PS2 power makes alot of games look good, but when its busy making lara even more curvier, we tend to notice the extra polygons even more.

- From amazing weather effectsto dazzling lighting tricks, this game should be one technical mamma-jamma by the time it hits shelves in Nov. Lara's ingame model is now packed with 5000 polies, and you really need to check the water!!

- Lara will have all of the various moves she had in the other games, but not many new ones. Other than her new hand to hand she is sticking with what worked in the past.

- Expect Lara to go through several costume changes. She starts in the jeans and jacket outfit, before going back to the tank top. More outfits are in the works as well such as the wetsuit.

I would like to that PSM for this article and core for making this mother of all games.

PS: plz respond to tell me what you think( I didn't write this whole thing just for you to read and then not say anything :mad: ) so remember plz respond.

MountainDewNut
3rd Jul 2002, 22:57
Well, I would read it, except I need something to do while in our church's van for several hours. Thanx anyway!

Kurtis Trent
3rd Jul 2002, 23:06
WOW!!!! Thanx LaraAngelofDarkness. That was great.:D ;) :p :) :cool:

Trinity34
4th Jul 2002, 02:12
Thanks laraangelofdarkness! that probably took a long time to type. Thanks a bunch!

TRaiderlover
4th Jul 2002, 03:38
Thank You!That is alot of info and I know it took a long time. I appreciate it alot.:) Plz keep this up cuz I enjoyed that article!!!:D

TR_Freak
4th Jul 2002, 04:53
awesome job dude! that must have taken a long time to type... but your effor is greatley appreciated!

I went to the mall today and no sign of the psm mag with lara and kurtis! I wonder when the August edition is comming out... im getting pretty impatient!

Later...

ps: awesome job again laraangelofdarkness

Acceber
4th Jul 2002, 09:58
Interesting read, thanks. :)

DKSM
4th Jul 2002, 12:33
Thanks for taking your time to type it all! :)

Tony The Loon
4th Jul 2002, 12:42
I can't wait until November!

Maynlinz
4th Jul 2002, 18:06
Interesting read, thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

No matter how many times I read it, I will never understand when the media say that "Fans were sick of the series" or they use the one of the TR titles as an example of a bad game. I loved all of the TR games and while I'm happy they've had Lara do some "growing up," I would have been perfectly content if the series hadn't taken this dark turn and kept to the excitement and exploration that made the first three games so awesome. :cool:

Anyway, my question is: Were any of you "sick" of the TR series?

DaveJ
4th Jul 2002, 18:49
Yes.

I played them in an odd order, but it was clear that it was the same thing regurgitated with a few new moves here and there each time.

At the same time as huge leaps forward in gameplay, graphics and storytelling were happening elsewhere in gaming world, the TR series was lagging further and further behind.

By the time it got to TRC it was taking the piss a little.

AoD had better reverse that trend.

Aquarius
4th Jul 2002, 21:07
Thank you so much for that!! :)

It just makes me want AOD even more now! :D

Pistols
5th Jul 2002, 16:29
I like that, you did a fantastic job. I read the whole story, it's alwsome

moose562
6th Jul 2002, 11:00
Thanks for that - that took ages right? I hate copying things like that myself so I really appreciate your efforts. Thankyou.

I am not too keen on Core making the game shorter - that is just wrong - I mean I want the game to last ages and never end! lol, well, end but not in like 30 mins of playing! I want an epic sdventure goddammit!

eTux
6th Jul 2002, 11:28
Very interesting, thanx for this :)

CyCro
6th Jul 2002, 13:04
Thank you so much for sharing this article with us! :) I really needed this info! ;)

AJDave2k3
6th Jul 2002, 18:19
thanks for taking the time to type that up for us. :D

Raider Sunrise
6th Jul 2002, 18:28
Thank you soo much!!!

Hurley
13th Jul 2002, 00:11
Ok this is my first post, and i love tombraider. but lol what is PSM magazine, u prob think im some idiot, but i dont know, im up on the official us playstation mag, are they the same, i want to get it real bad, but the store is closed right now, ill check in the morning lol. so just please explain the PSN mag, and would it still be in stores?

RaidRs Revenge
13th Jul 2002, 00:40
only tr that i didnt like much was chronicles and lr and that was because of lrs darkness and chronicles shortness. i want to be able to see things lol

Lil Lara
15th Jul 2002, 20:55
Hi and welcome, Hurley! OK, don't feel stupid, I just recently learnt about the PSM magazine, as well. :D PSM is a Playstation 2 Magazine. It is not the official magazine, actually, on the mag, it repeatedly says that it is totally indepedant. It should still be in the stores. It is the August issue, and issues usually come out one month in advance. So... it's July, you should be able to find the issue with Lara and Kurtis on the cover. Good luck in finding it!

LarzBritsh
15th Jul 2002, 21:35
Thanks so much :D I haven't been able to get my hands on that mag, but now i get to read up on all the details.

Jade
25th Jul 2002, 21:12
Thank you so much for typing the entire thing!!!
Now I FINALLY get the entire picture!
;)

Jadetale
25th Jul 2002, 22:03
Thanks a lot for the article!! It makes things seem much clearer, with the game only a few months away...:cool: