PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Plea

THE True Lara
3rd Jul 2002, 18:24
Can I please make a plea to anyone who is listening to enable the avatars on this forum, as the administrators have them disabled :(
And frankly I think it would be nice to have them working for us, don't you?

rimfire
3rd Jul 2002, 19:02
I agree. The avitars are a nice touch. I'd just as soon move my signature icon to an avitar.

moose562
3rd Jul 2002, 21:17
I wondered why this was so as well...Go for it! :)

DKSM
3rd Jul 2002, 21:48
Probably might not want an extra picture to slow the place down. I say, make us have to get the number of posts j7wild had before we can get it.

MountainDewNut
3rd Jul 2002, 21:52
It isn't slow for me, but I'd rather it not be slower the speed i can get it at now. ;)

moose562
3rd Jul 2002, 22:13
Is J7 still alive? And why did he get removed again? I never found out! Was it because he feined death? lol he promised me a grip clip and everything!

oh well:rolleyes:

CyCro
4th Jul 2002, 09:44
He is posting at the LCO forum, you can meet him there! ;)

DKSM
4th Jul 2002, 12:35
Originally posted by CyCro
He is posting at the LCO forum, you can meet him there! ;)

Although I wonder why anyone would want to do so.

Driber
4th Jul 2002, 16:37
talking about someone who is not able to defend themselves shows bad form
I don't know this J7 person, but please stop this gossip, it is not appriciated

as for THE True Lara's question: sorry, no avatars

moose562
4th Jul 2002, 21:04
Originally posted by DriberBallZ
sorry, no avatars

So that is indefinetely?

THE True Lara
4th Jul 2002, 22:36
Originally posted by DriberBallZ
sorry, no avatars

Could I politely enquire as to why?

Xcom
5th Jul 2002, 00:46
technical issues

Chronicles5
5th Jul 2002, 02:35
wouldnt it slow down the bandwidth of the site? it would be nice to have them, but it's not necessary ;)

TombRaiderChik
5th Jul 2002, 03:27
nicely put chronicles!

JunoJIm
5th Jul 2002, 03:40
If you want an avatar, just put it in your sig - it's gotta have a miniscule effect on the bandwidth, the technical problem is probably something else...

THE True Lara
5th Jul 2002, 14:03
Originally posted by Chronicles5
wouldnt it slow down the bandwidth of the site? it would be nice to have them, but it's not necessary ;)

You could say the same about signature pics, and they're much bigger. I just saw how nice the avatars looked in other forums like StrikeForce's forum and wondered why Eidos couldn't manage the same? It's seems like such a little thing, but it makes a difference, I think.

Xcom
5th Jul 2002, 18:03
Originally posted by THE True Lara
You could say the same about signature pics, and they're much bigger.

No you could not. Signature pictures are stored remotely on other servers and therefore linked remotely. Avatars must be stored locally, on Eidos server. This is just how this software works or so I've been told. Keeping in mind number 30000 (apprx. amount of members in the old forums) you can understand that there will be tremendous increase of bandwidth plus you'd need extra server space to store all these images.

THE True Lara
5th Jul 2002, 20:16
Originally posted by Xcom

No you could not. Signature pictures are stored remotely on other servers and therefore linked remotely. Avatars must be stored locally, on Eidos server. This is just how this software works or so I've been told. Keeping in mind number 30000 (apprx. amount of members in the old forums) you can understand that there will be tremendous increase of bandwidth plus you'd need extra server space to store all these images.

Actually on a lot of forums you can link your avitars remotely, to quote a few sites that do this; StrikeForce, and any members of IKONboard. If Eidos have a system that does not cater for this then, well, that's their loss, it's a shame that they've up-graded their site ineffectually. I hope this isn't the case.

Xcom
5th Jul 2002, 20:24
Yes, I know that. But anyway, avatars are like nr #172 on the list of most important things related to the functioning of this forum. So I wouldn't say that "not having avatars" implies unsuccessfull/ineffective upgrade.

THE True Lara
5th Jul 2002, 20:30
I wasn't implying the whole thing was unsuccessful, I was just saying that it's a bit silly to have up-graded then disalowed the use of something like an avitar?! -especially when it appears the system has the capabitily for it.

Xcom
5th Jul 2002, 20:35
Hey, no arguements from me. :D

THE True Lara
5th Jul 2002, 21:59
You're a bit of a conundrum really, aren't you? :)

Xcom
6th Jul 2002, 03:53
;)

Driber
6th Jul 2002, 10:13
Originally posted by moose562

So that is indefinetely?

for the time being, yes

maybe (that is NOT a yes!) in the future there will be ways to turn avatars on without the bandwidth problem, but as xcom mentioned, for now there are a buncha other issues that are more important

moose562
6th Jul 2002, 12:26
Other issues? such as? Are there secret plans for something else on the forums? or is it having slight teething problems with people getting to grips with the new system?

i am nosey ;)

anna3f
6th Jul 2002, 22:07
Sorry for intrusion, but what are you talking about?!?:confused:
Someone mentioned avatar someone said avatar (for second one I’ve searched the web and I was amazed, shocked, etc.) Any way, can you explain me what this thingy is? Please, I really want to know, I am curious, well I’ve finally said it!!!:)

anna3f
6th Jul 2002, 22:12
Ups!!! I wanted to write avatar and avitar, but my stupid machine changed what I wrote. Very bad PC!!! NO-NO!!!:mad:

DKSM
6th Jul 2002, 23:00
Avatar is a little pic below your info on the left.

anna3f
6th Jul 2002, 23:25
Thank you DKSM!!!:)

rimfire
7th Jul 2002, 02:48
I say, make us have to get the number of posts j7wild had before we can get it.

But don't you automatically get banned after 20,000 posts?

talking about someone who is not able to defend themselves shows bad form
I don't know this J7 person, but please stop this gossip, it is not appriciated

I can see you don't know him. This is pretty mild compared to things even the other moderators had to say at the time.

BTW, is EIDOS supporting the forum again? For about a year it was officially cut loose and it was left to the members to self-police... or such was my understanding.