PDA

View Full Version : Beatmaster feedback

Thamior2311
15th Mar 2016, 11:35
No thread, so I create. Beastmaster is abysmal. And everybody thought it would be OP. It's very awkward. Shotgun does crap damage. Abilities delayed. Needs work. Thoughts?

Da_Wolv
15th Mar 2016, 11:41
No thread, so I create. Beastmaster is abysmal. And everybody thought it would be OP. It's very awkward. Shotgun does shut damage. Abilities delayed. Needs work. Thoughts?

I can sign all of the above.
Granted, at the moment its hard to say what is good/bad, since everyone plays him. He clearly is not meant to be stacked.
One thing I hate about him though, as you said, everything feels sluggish and slow. Abilities feel delayed. Damage output feels.. meh

The only ability I like so far is Nature's Fury, but even the bomb seems to defy the laws of physics and flies like it has a parachute attacked to it.

Vampmaster
15th Mar 2016, 11:43
Maybe they were compensating for all the premature reports of the beastmaster being overpowered? This is what happens when people make demands for changes based on pure speculation.

Thamior2311
15th Mar 2016, 11:51
The only ability I like so far is Nature's Fury, but even the bomb seems to defy the laws of physics and flies like it has a parachute attacked to it.
About Nature's Fury, I believe its supposed to be this way so you could shoot it in the air reliably.

GenFeelGood
15th Mar 2016, 12:45
I was only able to play a few games before getting locked out by this launcher issue; but here is what I've experience in that short time.

*Powershot might be too narrow.
*Swoop seems very hit or miss.
*Only able to use Base and Hunter Shotgun so far, but Base seems too weak by comparison.

RainaAudron
15th Mar 2016, 13:25
Yeah, the shotgun´s power seems very low in comparison to everything else in the game. Anybody had luck trying to hit vampires with the fireballs while flying? I just couldn´t xD

Mardek
15th Mar 2016, 15:32
got some match with the BM, my tought so far:
- feel sluggish overall, like it share the same movement archetype of the vanguard
- too much spread on the shotgun, cant hit a tyrant till its in throw range =P
- no CC ablitities, power shot hit only the first enemy and nature fury pose a threat to the enemy team only if shotted (hard to achieve in the middle of a fight)
- big delay on powershot, making difficult to hit your target
- layline useful on the BM only if repeating shotgun is equipped, still a good buff to the other classes

hope this help to get the BM in line with the other classes or atleast in par with the vanguard xD

TheDreamcrusher
15th Mar 2016, 18:02
Most of the above by other posters is accurate. I'll see if I can get explicit details on what I have seen so far in my post.

Shotguns

The shotguns seem pretty weak overall. I just don't seem to be able to finish a vampire who's above 50% health without reloading or the vampire gets to escape. One of two things may be the cause. The damage for pellets may be too low or the drop-off damage for distance may be way too high. I don't really see an issue with the spread. I can hit with most of the pellets on every shot at short-distances.

Power Shot

Activation is slow but I guess it's comparable to Hex Shot. However, the projectile/object behaves oddly. It's like it appears, visually, builds up velocity quickly and then travels out. I missed a lot with it. I felt like I was having to aim a vanguard axe. The projectile/object feels smaller than Hex Shot or Bola, so a size increase might help here as well. The sliding on hit looks weird as hell too.

Chain Lightning

Suffers from the same issue as Power Shot, it's sluggish to activate but it suffers more from having such a small projectile/object. Eldritch Shield works by aiming in the general vicinity of a team mate. I'm not saying aiming Chain Lightning has to be that forgiving, but something here needs a tweak. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the animation time from activation to execution, the charge up, because the damage is pretty low and you don't get many opportunities to hit a tight group of vampires or allies. I love the damage level and cooldown time though. It's a really neat concept.

Ley Line

Probably the ability that felt the most 'right.' Appropriate effect and casting time. I would like to see a reticle or something to indicate that it will activate on an ally but that's a minor thing. Works great with the Repeating Shotgun (sic?).

Nature's Fury

Great ability where it's at right now. The gravity/floatiness value seems high on the bomb and I can imagine why that's the case, but I would be completely fine if it had the speed, weight, and gravity of the Hunter grenade. I can compensate by aiming up on a toss to shoot it.

Treshawk

I was a little disappointed the transformation and take-off speed wasn't like what we saw in the preview video. The transformation is like 0.5 to 1 second longer. Flight is kinda odd. I'm so used to my sentinel speed boosting while flying I kept trying to do that. Also, getting on to a rooftop is a chore because the bottom of the treshawk figure seems rather large or extends down. I drag at the edge of rooftops when I think I should be clearing them and that hawk isn't too fast.

Concerning flight speed, I'm not sure where the middle ground is. Everything about this game is fast but that. It's hard to prepare with something slow vs. everything else. Aiming Wrath of the Firebird is some work too.

Guardian1uk
15th Mar 2016, 18:06
Layline seems to have issues, personally cant seem to get the ability to activate UNLESS one of my team mates is alive and I point at them, description on the ability says YOU and a ally, yet it only seems to be useable on a ally when their round you, also seems to have a limit on casting range, this would have been better as a buff which works similarly to vanguards rallying cry, so you can still use if you happen to either be last one on your team standing/alive or on the way to your team from respawning and you get attacked, otherwise it seems you can NOT use it on yourself solo which means there's an ability thats generaly not useable in the slightest unless you have a buff shield (team mate) handy, which if a senti grabs you and flys off with you somewhere else you have a suddenly worthless ability.

TheDreamcrusher
15th Mar 2016, 18:18
Layline seems to have issues, personally cant seem to get the ability to activate UNLESS one of my team mates is alive and I point at them, description on the ability says YOU and a ally, yet it only seems to be useable on a ally when their round you, also seems to have a limit on casting range, this would have been better as a buff which works similarly to vanguards rallying cry, so you can still use if you happen to either be last one on your team standing/alive or on the way to your team from respawning and you get attacked, otherwise it seems you can NOT use it on yourself solo which means there's an ability thats generaly not useable in the slightest unless you have a buff shield (team mate) handy, which if a senti grabs you and flys off with you somewhere else you have a suddenly worthless ability.

Oh, I didn't notice THAT issue. Yeah, that's a problem and a no go. Can't have an ability that doesn't activate if you suddenly have no line of sight to allies.

ParadoxicalOmen
15th Mar 2016, 21:45
So my 2 cents:

Shotguns
So i got the impression that spread is too high...couldn't do good damage unless vampire was touching me.
Also, i always run out of ammo (even with ammo perk)...feels like he needs a few more bullets per clip overall.

Power Shot
This didn't feel so bad, but i agree it's activation times feels too slow...easy peasy to miss.

Chain Lightning
This was a disappointment...i thought the whole point of this was doing small damage, but get easy hits (hence low dmg and small cooldown).
Reality though, this ability is REALLY hard to hit...cast time is slow, but most importantly it has a trajectory speed...it's lightning man, but it's slower than the Scout's mark target arrow.

Ley Line
This ability felt like it played as expected, not being as OP as i thought...
But i must say i wish we were able to use it without needing to cast it on an ally...since shotguns don't do so much damage*, i felt i needed power shot more than this...
*Although their stats show a lot of damage, you never truly deal it's max dmg...like Heavy shotgun is 10 x 35 = 350...so 3 shots should kind a vampire, yes? Even with a vampire close to me, i used all 4 shots and didn't kill him :hmm:

Nature's Fury
This ability is a real life saver...it's THE ability that made me get kills with BM. Very good AOE range, damage is good too.

Treshawk
I feel the cast time is the right amount, so ppl don't exploit this to run away while being attacked (you have to anticipate).
Flying felt weird, but i guess this is on purpose so vampires hit you easier.
Overall playing in bird-form felt like a total failure when i tried to be offensive...i was only successful using this to hunt vampires near death hiding in ceilings.
-Swoop: Felt much easier to use than "Wrath", but also is very risky since you get out of bird-form...to be used in specific situations...
-Wrath of the Fire bird: This felt pretty hard to hit, but i can't complaint much since flying with him is hard and i'm not used to it yet.

GenFeelGood
17th Mar 2016, 17:32
Here is my opinion so far; but before that, I want to applaud the devs for trying to prevent the class from being op.

The meta seems to have turned in favor of the vampires. It's not entirely due to the new Sentinel ability but it does play a part in it. The biggest thing is with the Beastmaster's damage figures. In all the games I've played, I've yet to really see anyone break 10k damage dealt. This makes his presence on a team more of a handicap.

Although fun, the bird seems more burden than benefit. Using it to initiate is often going kamikaze and using it to escape means either abandoning your team too early or getting slaughtered before take off.

TheDreamcrusher
17th Mar 2016, 19:48
Here is my opinion so far; but before that, I want to applaud the devs for trying to prevent the class from being op.

The meta seems to have turned in favor of the vampires. It's not entirely due to the new Sentinel ability but it does play a part in it. The biggest thing is with the Beastmaster's damage figures. In all the games I've played, I've yet to really see anyone break 10k damage dealt. This makes his presence on a team more of a handicap.

Although fun, the bird seems more burden than benefit. Using it to initiate is often going kamikaze and using it to escape means either abandoning your team too early or getting slaughtered before take off.

The March 17 update post on Announcements seems to indicate that BM will be more of a utility class like the alchemist. So, maybe the low damage is appropriate. His shotguns still feel weak to me even at point blank. I have struggled to get kills even with Nature's Fury being shot and following up on the same vampire.

However, I made some suggestions for Power Shot, Chain Lightning, Ley Line, and Wrath of the Firebird because if he is going to be a utility class those utility abilities need to be snappy and reliable. All of them could use a little tuning, but I'm for bumping up the activation speed of Power Shot and Chain Lightning.

lucinvampire
18th Mar 2016, 13:31
I haven’t played him too much because everyone seems to be atm, what I’ve seen I’ve quite liked though, no way have got the hang of him yet, I think he is definitely a special class to play, I do find the shotgun a little too weak though but his abilities are interesting (apart from the noise of the lightning).

Like TheDreamcrusher says they mentioned he takes a lot more than just shooting a gun, so I’m quite happy to play around a while and then give more feedback over time. I have seen some brilliant people using him already in matches, so if he is underpowered I think once the skill with him is learned it’ll only be tweaking, to bring him up a little.

I’m not too fond of some of the skins, like the one with the helmet* is too Vanguard like and the blonde one* screams oops I've used too much bleach...but that’s just me.

*too tired to brain today to remember names.

Vampmaster
18th Mar 2016, 13:46
I haven’t played him too much because everyone seems to be atm, what I’ve seen I’ve quite liked though, no way have got the hang of him yet, I think he is definitely a special class to play, I do find the shotgun a little too weak though but his abilities are interesting (apart from the noise of the lightning).

Like TheDreamcrusher says they mentioned he takes a lot more than just shooting a gun, so I’m quite happy to play around a while and then give more feedback over time. I have seen some brilliant people using him already in matches, so if he is underpowered I think once the skill with him is learned it’ll only be tweaking, to bring him up a little.

I’m not too fond of some of the skins, like the one with the helmet* is too Vanguard like and the blonde one* screams oops I've used too much bleach...but that’s just me.

*too tired to brain today to remember names.

I like the green one with the wolf pelt and antlers!

lucinvampire
18th Mar 2016, 15:53
I like the green one with the wolf pelt and antlers!

Yeah that's my fave too <3

ButtCrusher
18th Mar 2016, 23:28
Melee talent is 200% awesome, please dont break :) It's a really deceiver pain!
Awesomee class, hard to learn, good in 1vs1 and have very nice combos with team.

lucinvampire
21st Mar 2016, 13:37
Melee talent is 200% awesome, please dont break :)

Is it just me or is it... I'M WOLVERINE :lol:

GenFeelGood
21st Mar 2016, 23:22
Melee talent is 200% awesome, please dont break :) It's a really deceiver pain!
Awesomee class, hard to learn, good in 1vs1 and have very nice combos with team.

I wish the Vanguard had it.

ParadoxicalOmen
22nd Mar 2016, 01:59
I wish the Vanguard had it.

He does seem the most fit for it, being the strongest...although beast-master is even more a close range class than vang.