PDA

View Full Version : PSA: This game requires an "always online" connection for single player functions

NickWitucki
12th Mar 2016, 21:30
Things as basic as completing challenges, making use of unlocked equipment or even getting an end of mission rating require you to be in "online mode". If the connection to the Square Enix servers is interrupted you get booted from the mission.

What you decide to do based on this information is up to you, but please spread the word; I was not expecting such online requirements for a single player game and others may be in the same boat.

TotalBrutal51
12th Mar 2016, 21:56
Yup wasn't expecting that either and I just looked on PS store and it wasn't mention that it needed a full time connexion.

But it's 2016 and I think that almost everyone is always connected to the interweb. So why bother?

JimC22
12th Mar 2016, 22:09
Because single player functions should be available offline. Maybe not contracts or elusive (value for money, ha ha) targets, but everything else should be. If the company stops running the servers in 3 years, your expenditure is a waste.

DjHimself
12th Mar 2016, 22:13
Things as basic as completing challenges, making use of unlocked equipment or even getting an end of mission rating require you to be in "online mode". If the connection to the Square Enix servers is interrupted you get booted from the mission.

What you decide to do based on this information is up to you, but please spread the word; I was not expecting such online requirements for a single player game and others may be in the same boat.

What you do is play something else that doesn't have you screaming in frustration every time the stupid disconnected from server error pops up on your screen. If this was on a disc I would have returned it to the shop for a refund by now as it fails to deliver the services I had paid for to a reasonable standard. I am also advising EVERYONE who hasn't already been ripped off by IO to not bother buying the game as it's unplayable.

NickWitucki
12th Mar 2016, 22:14
Yup wasn't expecting that either and I just looked on PS store and it wasn't mention that it needed a full time connexion.

But it's 2016 and I think that almost everyone is always connected to the interweb. So why bother?

WE might be connected to the interweb and we are not the problem. The problem are the Square Enix servers which may or may not work right now and may or may not be around to connect to in the future.

TotalBrutal51
12th Mar 2016, 22:33
WE might be connected to the interweb and we are not the problem. The problem are the Square Enix servers which may or may not work right now and may or may not be around to connect to in the future.

I have heard about the server problems, but I think it only affect PC. ( which it's not more acceptable in any way ) But surely will be fixed quickly enough.

And for the futur, I don't think that the online connectivity will be necessary when the game will be finished. But I may be wrong.

jayjasonjayman
12th Mar 2016, 22:54
Yeah. i hate to say it but im fairly disappointed. Having to be connected online for it to keep track of challenges; and even then it doesnt keep track sometimes. Ive had to do some challenges twice because it didnt save it the first time. If their servers decide to go out it kicks you off the mission to the main menu and you have to start over. And the ATROCIOUS load times are enough to make me want to shove an ice pick in my dickhole. I spen more time sitting on the couch watching a load screen than i do playing. Even take a long time to load pause menu and challenge screen. And last but not least we only got a portion of a portion of a game. Ie there are no escalation missions for paris yet. There are no elusive targets yet. Really hope square enix are working on these...

NickWitucki
13th Mar 2016, 00:56
I just wish they had been upfront about it.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitman/news/hitmans_beta_will_require_a_permanent_internet_connection_but_the_full_game_wont.html

Radox71
13th Mar 2016, 01:12
Its disgraceful. If they genuinely 'listen to loyal fan base' - they need to broadcast an apology and get rid of it.

NickWitucki
13th Mar 2016, 05:11
What you do is play something else that doesn't have you screaming in frustration every time the stupid disconnected from server error pops up on your screen. If this was on a disc I would have returned it to the shop for a refund by now as it fails to deliver the services I had paid for to a reasonable standard. I am also advising EVERYONE who hasn't already been ripped off by IO to not bother buying the game as it's unplayable.

Shhh!! Not so loud! The last time I gave purchasing advice the mods locked the thread down faster than Franz Fuchs scarfing a Belgian Waffle!

Tickle_Monster
13th Mar 2016, 15:04
Io Interactive keep lying to us over and over again! :(

They said the beta would need an online connection but the actual game itself won't need one. Now it turns out they were lying and tha actual game does need an always on connection. :(

Valenka
13th Mar 2016, 16:11
If this was on a disc I would have returned it to the shop for a refund by now as it fails to deliver the services I had paid for to a reasonable standard.

In what country do you live in where you can return opened, disc versions of games for a full refund? I live in the United States and places like GameStop and Best Buy do not allow that.

Io Interactive keep lying to us over and over again! :(

They said the beta would need an online connection but the actual game itself won't need one. Now it turns out they were lying and tha actual game does need an always on connection. :(

Not really. You can still play without the connection, you'll just not have access to a lot of features. IO Interactive made an absolutely stupid decision, but they didn't really lie.

Tickle_Monster
13th Mar 2016, 16:29
In what country do you live in where you can return opened, disc versions of games for a full refund? I live in the United States and places like GameStop and Best Buy do not allow that.

Not really. You can still play without the connection, you'll just not have access to a lot of features. IO Interactive made an absolutely stupid decision, but they didn't really lie.

You can returned an open disc game in several countries, especially if it isn't fit for purpose like this new Hitman, AC Unity, Tony Hawks 5 etc.

And some countries and stores don't sell sealed copies. They take out the discs and keep them behind the counter and just place the empty case on the shelf. People can then buy the game, play it, then take it back claiming that they bought the wrong one, or that they got 2 copies for their birthday or Xmas so obviously don't need 2 copies etc etc and get a refund. You just need the original reciept is all.

I've even bought a game from a store like this and took it back claiming i didn't like the game and was given a full refund or an ofer to swap it for another game. And this isn't just small gaming stores, it is big chains.

Valenka
13th Mar 2016, 17:16
You can returned an open disc game in several countries, especially if it isn't fit for purpose like this new Hitman, AC Unity, Tony Hawks 5 etc.

I've even bought a game from a store like this and took it back claiming i didn't like the game and was given a full refund or an ofer to swap it for another game. And this isn't just small gaming stores, it is big chains.

It must be a regional thing or simply luck. Around here, GameStop does not allow for refunds unless the game is pre-owned. Brand new copies are non-refundable. If there's something wrong with the game, you can exchange it for another copy of the same game. Digital games are also non-refundable.

And some countries and stores don't sell sealed copies. They take out the discs and keep them behind the counter and just place the empty case on the shelf. People can then buy the game, play it, then take it back claiming that they bought the wrong one, or that they got 2 copies for their birthday or Xmas so obviously don't need 2 copies etc etc and get a refund. You just need the original reciept is all.

Yeah, they do that around here, too. However, when you bring the game up to purchase it, they give you a sealed copy. Once it's open, it cannot be refunded.

Greig91
13th Mar 2016, 18:11
@Valenka You can return opened copies in the UK, and get refunded with digital (although Sony can be difficult about it if you don't push). We have good trading standards laws, it's probably the same across Europe.

I reckon it would be a pain in the ass to get this refunded if you bought it from PSN and your reason was the online connectivity thing, but it's probably doable lol. I know some people who pre-ordered Dead Island 2, for some reason, and because Sony forgot to take it off the store they all got charged like £50 for a game that didn't exist lol. Sony were still trying to refuse full refunds in that case, but I'm told they eventually caved. Their no refunds policy holds no water in the UK, it's just there to deter us from trying.

Hard2forget
13th Mar 2016, 18:12
This was almost as big a surprise as the game coming with a single map. Oh and a warehouse that acts as a couple diff. maps... Yikes.

jayinatlanta
13th Mar 2016, 21:56
I have heard about the server problems, but I think it only affect PC. ( which it's not more acceptable in any way ) But surely will be fixed quickly enough.

Wrong.

The OP was correct on all counts.
- SE's servers are absolutely horrific (I'm on Xbox One) - nothing wrong with my Internet connection
- there is no way to choose to play the game offline without being affected, because the game chooses on its own to autosave and vaporizes back to the main menu when it can't reach the server
- the game also crashes entirely at certain points; my latest crash was when navigating the menu to find challenges

I would say the game has sent itself back to the main menu when trying to autosave over 10 times for me. Not only do I lose my place in the game, but it then takes a huge amount of time to reload the level again.

If a person wants to play entirely offline and only have local saves, he or she should be able to do that, period. The concept SE has implemented would be garbage even if the servers were decent, but the servers are pathetic. Technology should be invisible - instead, this now has me thinking about the argument from those who hate connected gaming because it can have an expiration date decided by the company. (If SE decided to abandon the servers tomorrow, we'd be left with a useless game disc/download of a $60 experience, when we should be able to play offline forever.)

kaneten
14th Mar 2016, 02:27

Back when the beta was coming out, they said that it would require a constant internet connection but the full game/episodes wouldn't. Locking out key features and leaving a couple in for "offline mode" isn't acceptable, and they should definitely address this in a patch.