PDA

View Full Version : When I frob/open one door, how do I make that trigger another door elsewhere to open?

TRoosevelt_26
3rd Jul 2002, 14:06
I have looked in the OMs but to no avail. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lytha
3rd Jul 2002, 14:31
Should work with S&R, but what doesn't work with S&R? ;)

If you follow Totality's basic tutorial for Stimulus/Response, you've a Garrett that is source for a new stim. Now you can make the door a receptron for that stimulus with the action to frob the other door.

Sledge had a tutorial too about S&R, and he worked with doors as example there. Something like "shooting an arrow at one of the doors (pokestim) makes it open the other door."

I am sure though that there has to be an easier way. Check out Running Interference (or RTC); both have these double doors that open at the same time. Maybe you just need to add a script or one single property to the door, or so.

Maybe you could also make the doors to a button and the button is a control device for the other door?

Lol... I'm just brainstorming around. :)

Gingerbread Man
3rd Jul 2002, 15:13
Hrhm
Seems logical:

You might try setting up the two doors so that they work like double doors (no rule says they have to be anywhere near each other).

So one door ScriptParams linked to the other, double-click the ID of the link, add flavour Double.

If you only want opening door A to trigger door B (and not door B triggering door A as well) you might like to make door B unfrobbable.

My advice, particularly for a novice builder, is to try to find the absolute simplest way to do things. There are plenty of complicated tangles of links and Rube Goldberg rigs you can make, but it's not always necessary. And while S&Rs are fun and very useful, I'm not sure they're necessary in this particular case.

So yeah. The double doors approach is probably best.
Which Lytha said in waaaay fewer words than I did.

<small>because I am long winded and dumb :D

RicknMel
3rd Jul 2002, 21:14
LOL GBM :D

I agree. The best way is to make them like "double doors". Very simple to do. Even I can do it. ;)

S&R's should be saved for the advanced trickery. ;)

Apache
4th Jul 2002, 05:25
Link the door you are frobbing to the other door with a frob Proxy link. But yes a double door would work also..the frob proxy works nice if you are doing more than 1 object links

Lytha
4th Jul 2002, 14:24
Oh, but it would be so much funnier with a complicated S&R Rube Goldberg device. ;)

Is there an easy way to delete an item from the player's inventory too (ingame), or will I need to make a funny construction for this in a blueroom? :)

Komag
8th Jul 2002, 00:37
You could always just CD link the doors with a couple methods:

1. Add to the first door the script "TrigDoorOpen" and then CD link it to the other door, or to anything else, or to a series of traps such as relay traps, revert traps, etc. This will send the "ON" signal whenever the door is open, and the "OFF" signal whenever the door is closed, which sounds most appropriate if controlling another door.

2. Add to the first door the script "StdButton" and then CD link it to the other door, or, like above, to anything else. This makes it so that the door only sends the signal when you frob it, and the signal is sends is always an "ON" signal, as is the case with all buttons.

Using either method, depending on exactly what you want, can let you control any number of events using the doors. The possiblities are endless :) And no messy S&Rs!!! :D

TRoosevelt_26
8th Jul 2002, 01:00
Hey, thanks, everyone! I should have specified that I wanted them to work like double doors to save you some trouble, but oh, well. I had already checked RTC and couldn't figure out how they got it to work (I don't think they did it the way that was suggested here), so this was just what I needed. Thanks, all!

PS - GBM, you were quite right in suggesting that I didn't want the one door frobbable (frob-door is a locker door with an electric lamp mesh and a light brush nearby, giving me a slide-the-lamp -- open-the-secret-door sort of thing).