PDA

View Full Version : New Hitman Ad Campaign Backfires.

Tickle_Monster
8th Mar 2016, 13:19
Remember the poorly tasted ad campaigns for Absolution that backfired on Io Interactive? The first was the skimpy Nun one. The second was the Hitman Facebook App that allowed users to generate Facebook threats. The App allowed users to take out fake contract killings on other Facebook users. The app would then post to the target's Facebook, telling them, "I hope you get killed by a hitman!" Then posted a video showing a Hitman loading up the target on his laptop before taking them out with a sniper rifle. Images from the target's Facebook photo stream were even integrated into the video to serve as those final "life flashing before your eyes" moments. Needless to say both Ad's backfired in a big way, with Io Interactive being forced to apologize and remove the App altogether.

Now it seems thay have gone and done it again with this new Hitman game.

These Ad's for the new Hitman game were spotted in the women's toilets in the UK. They didn't quite think them through properly. Not thinking things through properly seems to a bad habit of Io Interactive.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcyfqLiWoAA4TNp.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcyfqMLWAAEKbff.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cc28uwgWEAAF0Oa.jpg

Greig91
8th Mar 2016, 13:57
Lol wow that is bad. I'm pretty sure they do stuff like this on purpose to attract attention though. It probably went down exactly as they were hoping, same with the Absolution stuff.

Tickle_Monster
8th Mar 2016, 14:14
Lol wow that is bad. I'm pretty sure they do stuff like this on purpose to attract attention though. It probably went down exactly as they were hoping, same with the Absolution stuff.

I think they just don't think things through proeprly. They tried to sweep the entire Hitman Facebook App thing under the carpet. And they were surprised by the backlash the skimpy Nuns got.

And look at the things Io Interactive has done in recent years. This botched release model, constantly changing their minds. The fact they never even bothered to ask Jesper Kyd back for Absolution or this new Hitman etc etc. Who knows what they are on! lol

Valenka
8th Mar 2016, 15:54
Now it seems thay have gone and done it again with this new Hitman game.

These Ad's for the new Hitman game were spotted in the women's toilets in the UK. They didn't quite think them through properly. Not thinking things through properly seems to a bad habit of Io Interactive.

Have you got a link or images at all? No idea what you're talking about here...

Greig91
8th Mar 2016, 21:29
I think they just don't think things through proeprly. They tried to sweep the entire Hitman Facebook App thing under the carpet. And they were surprised by the backlash the skimpy Nuns got.

And look at the things Io Interactive has done in recent years. This botched release model, constantly changing their minds. The fact they never even bothered to ask Jesper Kyd back for Absolution or this new Hitman etc etc. Who knows what they are on! lol

Tbh with stuff like the release model and "peripheral" advertising like this and the facebook thing it's more likely to be Sqaure Enix at fault than IO, since they're the ones responsible for the funding and in turn the ones who will be expecting to profit from that investment. Publishers don't leave that in the hands of the people developing their games. A good recent example of that is Slashy Souls. Do you think From Software were happy with that? I don't lol.

The Jesper Kyd thing might be IO, because that's more of a design decision. But again, if it comes down to money it's Square Enix's decision. It's possible he wanted more money and they just weren't willing, I don't know. if that's the case, they should have paid him lol. But we'll never know..

What likely happened with all of the chopping and changing regarding the release model is that someone at IO likely read all of the backlash posted.. well everywhere lol, and brought it back to Square Enix who then promptly shat the bed.

@Valenka He's talking about this: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/hitman-s-unorthodox-advertising-campaign-spectacularly-backfires-a6917196.html

There are pics in his post but maybe they just didn't load properly for you.

Valenka
8th Mar 2016, 21:33
@Valenka He's talking about this: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/hitman-s-unorthodox-advertising-campaign-spectacularly-backfires-a6917196.html

There are pics in his post but maybe they just didn't load properly for you.

Lmao that's hilarious! :lol:
Not a fan of the wording they used in the article:

Given protagonist Agent 47’s penchant for silently killing people and stashing their bodies in bathrooms, the marketing department at Square Enix thought it would be fun to advertise the latest Hitman game by having pools of fake blood spill from underneath a set of stalls.

Pools of fake blood spilling from the stalls? Looks more like a floor adhesive cling. And exactly how did it backfire?

Ah, I just tried a different browser. Strange how they didn't show up in Chrome.

Tickle_Monster
9th Mar 2016, 10:54
Have you got a link or images at all? No idea what you're talking about here...

I posted the images to this thread. Why did it backfire? Think about it..... lol

Tickle_Monster
9th Mar 2016, 11:00
Tbh with stuff like the release model and "peripheral" advertising like this and the facebook thing it's more likely to be Sqaure Enix at fault than IO, since they're the ones responsible for the funding and in turn the ones who will be expecting to profit from that investment. Publishers don't leave that in the hands of the people developing their games. A good recent example of that is Slashy Souls. Do you think From Software were happy with that? I don't lol.

The Jesper Kyd thing might be IO, because that's more of a design decision. But again, if it comes down to money it's Square Enix's decision. It's possible he wanted more money and they just weren't willing, I don't know. if that's the case, they should have paid him lol. But we'll never know..

What likely happened with all of the chopping and changing regarding the release model is that someone at IO likely read all of the backlash posted.. well everywhere lol, and brought it back to Square Enix who then promptly shat the bed.

Yeah, could be.

That wasn't the case with Jesper Kyd though, he didn't ask for more money. Jesper outright said that Io Interactive never even asked him back to do Absolution or the new Hitman game. He said he didn't know why they hadn't asked him. It was just a poor decision on Io Interactives part, because at the time thousands of fans had set up petitions for Io Interactive to bring Jesper Kyd back and there was a lot of unhappy fans and backlash over the whole thing.

Here is one interview with Jesper. There is another out there.

Are you able to shed some light on why you weren’t involved with Hitman: Absolution, the latest game in the franchise? Your work was greatly missed.
I wasn't asked by IO. No idea why.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/games/jesper-kyd/32321/jesper-kyd-interview-assassins-creed-hitman-and-more#ixzz42P0cwsJn

Valenka
9th Mar 2016, 15:56
I posted the images to this thread. Why did it backfire? Think about it..... lol

Sorry, can't see how this ad campaign backfired against IO Interactive and Square Enix. Save us all a bit of time and elaborate, please.

CBG_Yeti
10th Mar 2016, 10:40
Love it! :)

Tickle_Monster
10th Mar 2016, 13:11
Sorry, can't see how this ad campaign backfired against IO Interactive and Square Enix. Save us all a bit of time and elaborate, please.

It demonstrates the dangers of leaving jam on the floor....:rolleyes:

Because the add is ambiguous. Women have things called a menstural cycle, also known as periods. They put this in the women's toilets. People think it is wrong in a number of ways. Why would you even advertise a videogame, and a videogame like Hitman, in a woman's toilets in the first place? Even in a man's toilets? "Hey, while your taking a poop, please think about buying our new Hitman game!" lol Some girl has even asked if the makers of the game are going to give out free Hitman branded tampons.

Some find if distasteful. It is being compared to another distasefull add campaign that backfired where Sainsbury's super market showed shoppers, How to get the "slave" look with 12yrs a slave display mannequin.

CBG_Yeti
10th Mar 2016, 13:47
It demonstrates the dangers of leaving jam on the floor....:rolleyes:

Because the add is ambiguous. Women have things called a menstural cycle, also known as periods. They put this in the women's toilets. People think it is wrong in a number of ways. Why would you even advertise a videogame, and a videogame like Hitman, in a woman's toilets in the first place? Even in a man's toilets? "Hey, while your taking a poop, please think about buying our new Hitman game!" lol Some girl has even asked if the makers of the game are going to give out free Hitman branded tampons.

Some find if distasteful. It is being compared to another distasefull add campaign that backfired where Sainsbury's super market showed shoppers, How to get the "slave" look with 12yrs a slave display mannequin.

And if they had only put it in the mens room then there would of been feminist hell to pay!

It is a game about murder, so blood stains, to me, are not a big deal. And the fact that a skimpy nun is offensive to anyone actually disgusts me! I have no time for such peoples moanings, they don't help and never will.