PDA

View Full Version : The Beta and this episodic content thing has put me right off.

aieeeee
7th Mar 2016, 14:43
The final game may be different but I'd be surprised. The weapons aren't real again and tbh I thought they sounded quite poor. Then there's all this "Live Content" guff, no doubt a large part of the game and will require always online. Then the episodic thing. Was this an IO Interactive call or Square Enix? Either way, I'm not the type of person that's willing to pay full retail price for a game that is basically 1/7th of the content at launch and then the rest of the content will follow later. I just don't get it. It's a terrible idea.

So will I be bothering with it? In short, no. I'll maybe pick it up cheap when all the game content is out but even that depends on how then complete end result pans out.

It's a shame.

Valenka
7th Mar 2016, 17:34
The final game may be different but I'd be surprised. The weapons aren't real again and tbh I thought they sounded quite poor.

Yeah, the sound of the weapons in the beta was rather off-putting, especially when firing in rapid succession. Fortunately, the beta was a much older build of the current game and Travis from IO Interactive has stated on HitmanForum that there's a huge changelist since.

Then there's all this "Live Content" guff, no doubt a large part of the game and will require always online.

Well, I'm not entirely sure how large of a contribution the Live Events/Elusive Targets are. It's been said that the Elusive Targets will be once a week, if I recall correctly, and the reward for completing them is additional suits for 47. Considering that the only people who will have access to the Live Events are those who purchase the digital copy on day one, they may release the additional suits as DLC down the line. IO Interactive have stated that there will be no paid DLC for Hitman, so the suits will be free, then...if they decide to release them for public download.

I don't believe the Live Events will require an "always online" capability, but even if it did, I really don't see the harm in it. Unless one has a really terrible Internet connection where they would be constantly disconnected...but then you'd have a hard time doing just about anything, not just playing video games. :p Considering that the Elusive Targets are one-off assassinations, I would assume that the only time you would need a stable connection is when you're doing the Elusive Target missions.

Then the episodic thing. Was this an IO Interactive call or Square Enix? Either way, I'm not the type of person that's willing to pay full retail price for a game that is basically 1/7th of the content at launch and then the rest of the content will follow later. I just don't get it. It's a terrible idea.

It's unclear as to who made the decision to make HITMAN episodic, however, it has worked for games in the past. Life is Strange, another Square Enix published title, was episodic and did wonderfully. Telltale Games does episodic titles such as Minecraft: Story Mode, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, etc. and Resident Evil Revelations 2 was episodic and it worked brilliantly as well. Having HITMAN as an episodic title certainly is different, but if it worked with Resident Evil, I don't see why it wouldn't work with HITMAN. I understand that with video games, some people would rather not pay full price for only a fraction of the experience (whether it's HITMAN or anything else) but I don't think it's a terrible idea.

I would much rather have the entire game at once, but if IO Interactive sticks to their word, it could prove really great. HITMAN will be in constant development from 11 March onward and adjustments, changes, etc. will be made based upon player feedback, which could really help make HITMAN the best installment in the franchise. However, if you really aren't a fan of the release model regardless, at least you'll be able to pick up the physical retail version and have everything at once, minus the Live Events.

So will I be bothering with it? In short, no. I'll maybe pick it up cheap when all the game content is out but even that depends on how then complete end result pans out.

Like I told someone else, only you can make the best decisions for you. If you don't mind waiting until the end of the year for the physical release and then waiting until mid-2017 for a price drop, power to you. :)

It's a shame.

I disagree, but to each their own. I'm looking forward to seeing how HITMAN will pan out over the course of the next few months. I'm happy to say that regardless of whether or not it proves to be the best HITMAN game in the franchise or not, I was satisfied enough with the beta that I will find enjoyment in the whole experience. :)

SirGreenDay
7th Mar 2016, 18:58
The final game may be different but I'd be surprised. The weapons aren't real again and tbh I thought they sounded quite poor. Then there's all this "Live Content" guff, no doubt a large part of the game and will require always online. Then the episodic thing. Was this an IO Interactive call or Square Enix? Either way, I'm not the type of person that's willing to pay full retail price for a game that is basically 1/7th of the content at launch and then the rest of the content will follow later. I just don't get it. It's a terrible idea.

It's a shame.

You got all that from a tutorial level?

Wow.

OK. See you around kid.

aieeeee
9th Mar 2016, 10:58
You got all that from a tutorial level?

Wow.

OK. See you around kid.

Kid huh? I'm probably older than most of you on here. And regardless of what I got from the Beta, the game IS still full price at launch and only 1/7th of it available with the rest of the game, the six other "episodes", to follow later on.