PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid "polygon does not cross Plane"

theBlackman
3rd Jul 2002, 05:42
What causes the error "polygon did not cross plane"? and what "plane" is Dromed talking about?

How do you avoid having Dromed shutdown when such an error occurs? Your options are "try to capture"- "cancel"- "yes" and no matter which I select Dromed gives me a EAX DX error.

stikboy
3rd Jul 2002, 06:19
I think if you hilight_check_snap and then hilight_do_snap and re-portalise, it should take care of that error.

As for avoiding it, :confused: good luck :D

I think, if you use grid size 12 or higher, and make sure the optiond to automatically snap to grid are highlighted, you should be able to (mostly) avoid this one. Of course, someone will be in soon to tell you that size 11 and below is just fine, but I've always had problems with them. (But then, I've just always had problems ;) :D )

And avoiding Dromed closing out, I think it's just impossible at times. Just remember, save, save, save

BTW - the above commands may not be the exact right ones, but someone else should pop in to let you know what they are, and if you have one of the newer custom menus, the hilight commands should be in one of those.

Lytha
3rd Jul 2002, 11:16
Yes... always, always, always snap to grid, and stick to a nice big grid first before you go into the details.

Also, optimize often, that finds these planar errors when a portalize would ignore them... and it will be better if you find these errors early rather than late (late, like, shortly before you want to finish the architecture and proceed to the funnier aspects of the mission design...)

When you have these errors, try to narrow the probematic area down, maybe with area brushes and optimize them alone. I bet that there are some commands for "find problem brushes" in that dump_cmd file; I only scanned through it and found already several nice utilities like "change textures (old texture) (new texture)" or how it is called. Just what I was looking for. :)

Caradavin
3rd Jul 2002, 19:29
:)
I stopped getting that message when I made sure my grids were snapped. The first time I received the message, I almost panicked. But by the fourth time I realized that it had to do with the grid. Of course there are other things that make Dromed crash, so it only reduces them by one right? ;)

xarax
10th Jul 2002, 15:12
I have a custom menu with these commands:

hilight_check_snap 1
hilight_do_snap 1
hilight_clear

The parameter "1" means to also process rotation angles that are not a multiple of 22.5 degrees. You can omit it when you only want to snap dimensions and co-ordinates. Dimensions are snapped to twice the grid size and co-ordinates are snapped to the grid size.

btw: Always be sure to unselect any multibrushes before snapping so that the individual brushes will be snapped, rather than the bounding box of the multibrush. You'll be much happier with the results, and so will DromEd.

schwaa
16th Jul 2002, 21:19
Dodyhydrecons can be a major cause of this too because they ALMOST fit the grid and ALMOST line up with the tops and bottoms of all other brushes but are far enough off that Drom can't compensate. So if you use them make sure the tops and bottoms aren't less than a foot higher or lower than nieboring brushes.

Apache
17th Jul 2002, 05:23
What i have noticed is that this error occurs when you place a roombrush and don't update it afterwards..IE pathfind and databases..Once you or the AI crosses into that roombrush..BAM it crashes..at least thats what causes it for me.

Lytha
17th Jul 2002, 08:14
Oh yes, that's my most beloved crash so far. Far funnier than the "scene complexity too high" or the "poly did not cross plane".

Nothing better than a "attempt to mark from invalid room ID"-crash. ;)

<small>Makes me wonder what crash will be the next, now that the map is completey roombrushed...</small>

Komag
17th Jul 2002, 17:45
The "Polygondidn'tcrossplane" (or whatever) error also pops up whenever you try to build outside the coordinate boundaries of 1000 units in any direction. You must be careful because though your brush coordinates may say 997 or -997 or something, that's just the CENTER of the brush, and if the brush is bigger than 6 units part of the brush may be beyond 1000.