PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights

Moggraider
3rd Jul 2002, 03:04
So far, I'm unimpressed. Story doesn't hit you like Baldur's Gate II's did, the presentation is as a whole less polished, and the conversion to 3d causes some problems with movement. Have you guys played the game yet? What do you think?

Dell
3rd Jul 2002, 07:26
Who put it out and what kind of game is it? Elucidate for us unenlightened and uninformed ones, please.

Moggraider
3rd Jul 2002, 07:34
Oh, c'mon. It's only the most anticipated RPG in years, put out by computer RPG GODS Black Isle Entertainment.

Arkron
3rd Jul 2002, 08:30
I'm finished with the tutorial now, and in terms of D&D rules usage, I think NWN is much like BG to 2nd edition rules.. it has been simplified, some things ignored completely and some new stuff added. I was kind of expecting that really, sicne I doubt the reguler 3rd edition D&D rules would be easy to comprehend for everyone. On the whole, they did a nice job with the rules I think.
Anyway, yes, there are some movement problems through the conversion to 3d graphics, but most are camera related. Figures, right?
I'm not playing a spellcaster myself, but the spell effects look flashy and neat.. I'm currently contemplating whether to start over as a mage just to satisy some graphical needs. The game is that flexible anyway. Although I get the feeling (but that could only be the tutorial), that you're roced down the beaten path, much like IWD did. I don't like having to go through the whole tutorial as well, if you know the controls and such. Yes, you can quick-click the conversation away, but you do have to initiate it to continue and some parts (like how to shop, which is about crystal clear to begin with) cannot be skipped at all.
I haven't played with other people yet, which I think will be the main attraction to NWN. I hope to do that sometime in the near future and play the game as it should be played. Until then, I can't really give a final judgement, but it sure looks promising.

Moggraider
3rd Jul 2002, 16:46
If you find a group to play with, let me in too, yeah? I'll do the same for you.

Arkron
3rd Jul 2002, 21:44
Hmm.. perhaps somewhere this summer..

Amazeroth
4th Jul 2002, 16:06
/me wants to join too then
Assuming you're going to burn that game for me Wouter :)

Moggraider
4th Jul 2002, 20:03
Buy it yourself and support Black Isle, you lazy bum.

Arkron
4th Jul 2002, 20:55
'Lazy' and 'Buy' contradict each other Mogg.. and me, I can be dreadfully lazy when I want to :P

Moggraider
4th Jul 2002, 22:07
Stop spreading piracy, you evil, evil man.

Moggraider
5th Jul 2002, 06:21
OMG. This game is so dirty!!!!!!!! OMG.

http://moggraider.homestead.com/files/dirty.jpg

See?

Arkron
5th Jul 2002, 09:26
Whoa.. that;'s nasty :eek:

SirCanealot
5th Jul 2002, 11:26
Disgusting yes. I need to "get" this game.

However you know I had a feeling it wouldent be as good as BG2 any way :(

N00dles
5th Jul 2002, 15:02
Or BG1 for that matter...I thought BG1 was better than the sequel.

Moggraider
5th Jul 2002, 16:25
Heck no. BG 1's story was lackluster.

N00dles
5th Jul 2002, 18:18
I think the story was pretty good.

Besides, I found the overall gameplay much better than 2.

Arkron
5th Jul 2002, 23:30
Really? Those endless maps all over the coutryside, that you practically had to explore for all the gear you can find/win there? And the city that's another 9 maps total and more confusing then Athkatla in BG2, even when BG is really a,5 chapters while Athkatla is basically the quest central in BG2?

Don't get me wrong, I loved BG.. but it gets old really fast. Heck, I'm replaying it now about 2 maps a week, but I'm not really playing by heart

N00dles
6th Jul 2002, 13:52
Well, of course BG1 had it's flaws, but the exploring was fun.

And yes, Baldurs Gate itself was pretty big. A bit too big, but then again, there were much quests to complete to keep it interesting.
Besides, the I found some settings much more appealing than those of BG2.

What I disliked about BG2 was that many old characters were used from BG1. In my game of BG1 I had Jaheira get killed. So it was a bit stupid when she suddenly appeared in BG2...Not to mention Minsc and Imoen. But perhaps I'll try again to finish BG2 someday....

Arkron
6th Jul 2002, 14:26
Well.. the Harpers could've raised Jaheira or something. Try to think beyond the boundaries of the game ;)

N00dles
6th Jul 2002, 18:05
Originally posted by Arkron
Well.. the Harpers could've raised Jaheira or something. Try to think beyond the boundaries of the game ;)

Ah you mean, like, they pasted the bodyparts together and created a Frankenstein-Jaheira? :D :p

'Cause she exploded because of a lightning bolt :)

Moggraider
6th Jul 2002, 18:19
What were you doing leaving characters dead like that, anyway? I always reload or res them, or something.

Arkron
7th Jul 2002, 09:41
Reload because someone dies? Now that kind of lame IMO.. I only reload when the main character dies, or if about the entire party is dead after a fight.

N00dles
7th Jul 2002, 12:41
Exactly...I see reloading in BG as some kind of cheating. It's lame, makes the game too easy. Removes the thrill and excitement of fighting enemies. When I level up, and I get a very small amount of hit points added, I never reload either (to try and get a larger amount of HP).

Moggraider
7th Jul 2002, 16:44
Well, I don't do HP reloads either, but, especially in BG2, your party members are an important part of the story. Leaving them dead is allowing yourself to miss out on fully experiencing the game.

Amazeroth
7th Jul 2002, 19:20
Mogg's right. Plus I'm wayyy to lazy to run back to a temple every time a party member needs to be ressed and I can't do it. And finally I *hate* my characters missing out exp. :)
Oh and I don't reload after HP rolls, either. I play with automatic Max HP anyway. :p

Arkron
7th Jul 2002, 20:38
Sheesh.. get a wand of resurrection from somewhere ;)

Amazeroth
7th Jul 2002, 21:46
That wand won't give them the exp they didn't get.

N00dles
7th Jul 2002, 23:38
Lamer! :p

(Dont pay attention to this remark, it's only a postcount +'er :))

LazyLion
10th Jul 2002, 12:19
Bought NWN about a week ago. Playing a rogue, just started chapter 2. Graphics are pretty impressive. Gameplay is nice, but not as much fun as BG2. I also preferred the character-generating of BG2. NWN makes it too easy.
I think I'm gonna love this game, but not quite as much as BG2.

Oops, almost forgot. I don't like the "henchmen" system much. I preferred the party system of BG2. I like to be able to play single-player with a larger party then just a party of 2. I loved how the different party members interacted in BG2.
I also miss Imoen :(

btw, I haven't experienced any problem with the 3d or camera-movement. Running the game on a P4-2.26 (533MHz system bus), GF2-GTS, latest NVidia drivers, windows 98, dx8.1

Can't play online yet. Problems with my new system and my old ethernet card. Seems I can't get it installed under w98. I'll have to get a newer operating system to get the card to work.
I could play online on my old system, but that's kinda "undressed" right now, because I'm using some of the components in my new system. No sound at all at the moment, for example.
Once I solved my ethernet problem, I would love to play online with some of you.

Dell
10th Jul 2002, 15:48
Well, hello Stiletto! Been missing you!

Oh, I won a brainwave award! Wanna see? http://195.22.70.27/Brainwave/images/brainwave_award.gif

Amazeroth
10th Jul 2002, 17:36
Hey Stiletto, welcome here... did you actually get the email I sent you a week or two ago?

LazyLion
10th Jul 2002, 17:51
@Dell.
Hi Dell, what's a brainwave award?
I think I might qualify for a braindead award :)

@Amazeroth.
Nope, didn't get your e-mail. Anything important?

Amazeroth
11th Jul 2002, 19:12
Not really, I was asking whether you'd be interested in starting a BG II MP party again but since most other people aren't anyway, I guess that matter's resolved...

Moggraider
11th Jul 2002, 21:51
I motion to start a NWN multiplayer party.

Rengar
11th Jul 2002, 23:01
Didn't you just say you didn't like it?

I still haven't gotten BGII. I figure I have to finish the first one, first. And the price is still high! I would have thought that the expansion pack would be included, by now.

Has anyone played Oni?

or how about that Magic the gathering online?
I don't know about Magic, looks too much like a ripoff scam. A hobbie that can become expensive, and for what? How can Virtual cards be considered the same worth as the real cards?

The download is free.....If you have the capabilities or the time to download it. The sign up is 9.99 and turns into a coupon to buy the cards. From there, you play.....by then you realize that you need better cards, and that's when they get you. Before you know it you have hundreds of dollars worth of cards. The problem I have is that the cards aren't real. 100 years from now....will those virtual cards still exist? Guess it really doesn't matter.

Moggraider
12th Jul 2002, 02:25
It's not that I don't like NWN, it's just that it's not as good as BGII. I would, however, play it online with friends.

Oni's a decent game.

Yeah, that new MTGO deal is horrendous. I remember wasting away my summer of 2000 playing the old version of MTG (the Interactive Encyclopedia) all day while listening to streaming radio. Then, all the cards were free. Good times.

LazyLion
12th Jul 2002, 11:04
Mogg, you took the words right out of my mouth. Give them back, dammit :)
BG2 was/is more fun single-player, but NwN looks to be more fun/better playable online.
I would like to start an NwN game with you all, once I solve my NIC problem.

Amazeroth
12th Jul 2002, 19:05
Hotspot would like to join as well if we're going to play. That makes already 5. Neat.

LazyLion
30th Jul 2002, 14:32
Update:
My new system is now connected to the internet. All systems are go.
so where and when do we play?

vakusuma
30th Jul 2002, 16:20
Hello my friend :)

As for NWN... hmm, still need a more compelling reason. For some reason I didn't get worked up on BG2 that easily.

Moggraider
30th Jul 2002, 16:43
So let's get this thing going already. I haven't played in a week, and played sporadically before that, but I still managed to get my character at level 14. We can start new characters if you guys want. I'm available any day of the week, but I will be gone this week from tomorrow to Monday, and then from the 5th to the 8th. Otherwise, ready when you are, chaps.

windcloud
31st Jul 2002, 06:17
... my newest game is diablo II, that tells a lot huh?

anyways, online games are fun... no matter what the game is.

Amazeroth
31st Jul 2002, 22:32
We are not gonna get this going as long as I don't own a copy of the game. Which will be in about 2 weeks (damn I just hope no CD Key is required)

Moggraider
1st Aug 2002, 07:20
Yes, a CD key is required.

I just beat the game tonight. Rather disappointed; chapter four only takes a couple hours, the end boss was no challenge at all, and the ending itself was lame. *sigh* Oh well.

windcloud
1st Aug 2002, 19:30
it's sad... my pc specs aren't even good enough to play NWN... -_-

time to get a new PC...

Amazeroth
1st Aug 2002, 20:33
What are your specs windcloud I hope they're worse than 600 Mhz / 128 RAM / GeForce 256

Otherwise NWN > my PC

LazyLion
1st Aug 2002, 22:44
Seems that windows 98 (original) doesn't like NwN much. Had lots of crashes and hangs. Runs ok on XP though. I'll install the game on my old P3-450 with an old ATI rage pro to see if it runs on that.

Moggraider
2nd Aug 2002, 01:19
I ran it on 98 fine. And as for you, Arkron, 450 is the minimum, but 800 mhz is recommended. I would at least try a 650, with the graphics options turned down.

windcloud
2nd Aug 2002, 01:38
300 / 256 / Geforce2 GTS

woo whee! can't even run diablo II good... -_-

LazyLion
2nd Aug 2002, 15:17
@Mog: strange, I had all sorts of trouble with W98. Only thing I changed was install XP. Same drivers for my cards (well, the XP version of the same drivers).
Runs as smooth as Single Malt now :)

P4-2.26 (533MHz)
256MB RDram
GeforceII GTS with latest Detonator drivers
SB Live with latest drivers

btw, Couldn't test on my old P2-450. The ATI drivers that are installed don't support openGL. I'll update the drivers when I have the time and try again.

Amazeroth
2nd Aug 2002, 16:42
Originally posted by Moggraider
I ran it on 98 fine. And as for you, Arkron, 450 is the minimum, but 800 mhz is recommended. I would at least try a 650, with the graphics options turned down.

Please, don't get started on that Arkron = Amazeroth crap again, heeh.

Anyway you're pretty funny. Did you suggest 'trying' a 650 while I have 600 to bugger me? If I had the cash to afford a new comp I would've long since done so :p

Moggraider
2nd Aug 2002, 21:02
Oops. I accidentally called you Arkron, and said 650 instead of 600. I guess I was just out of it. Try it with your current comp. At least try it.

windcloud
3rd Aug 2002, 03:39
shame on you Raf boy... shame on you...

Arkron
3rd Aug 2002, 12:28
Well.. currently at 1300 mhz/256 DDR/Geforece 2 so that shouldn't be a prob.. getting online is though ;)

LazyLion
3rd Aug 2002, 13:48
Why is getting online a problem? Thought you had a Chello account.

Oh, btw, the game runs on my old P2-450. The Rage Pro gives it an amazing 1frame/5 secs.
I think it might actually run decent (or at least playable) on the old machine if I put the GF2 back in it. I might do that, just to see, but not today.

About internet-connections, if we get a game going, who's gonna host it? My cable-account (Chello) has a fast enough downstream speed, faster then the average ADSL1024, but upstream is slow.
Anybody with a good fast ADSL?

N00dles
3rd Aug 2002, 15:56
Originally posted by LazyLion
Why is getting online a problem? Thought you had a Chello account.

Chello IS the problem. Lousy speed, and an even worse service.

windcloud
3rd Aug 2002, 17:10
how fast is ethernet?

Moggraider
3rd Aug 2002, 17:12
No one ever actually "hosts" a game in the traditional sense. Any one of us should be able to host just fine.

LazyLion
3rd Aug 2002, 22:06
Originally posted by N00dles

Chello IS the problem. Lousy speed, and an even worse service.

edit: Oops, clicked "post" too early.
Noodles, I have Chello and live in Almere, just like you. It's pretty fast for me. Like I said, downstream is faster then with ADSL 1024, which is about twice as expencive. Often even beats the max speed of a T1-connection in the quiet hours). Also, the few times I had problems, Chello helped me out fine. The only problem I have with Chello is that they limit the upstream speed too much.

Arkron
4th Aug 2002, 20:01
Connection isn't the problem (it occasionally turns others green).. but as yet, I haven't found a *cough* key-generator *cough* that allows for online playing.. so until I can get my rubby little paws on one, I'll put NWN in the fridge.

N00dles
6th Aug 2002, 19:03
Well, at the moment my connection is pretty stable, though I do remember the times in which Chello failed to deliver an acceptable connection. Right now, my max. download speed is 180-200 k/s.

btw where in Almere do you live lazylion? :)

LazyLion
8th Aug 2002, 11:32
Originally posted by N00dles

btw where in Almere do you live lazylion? :)
Filmwijk, Lucille Ballstraat.

Canyon Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 11:44
I want to play that game online, dammit, but the only copies I have are *ahem* burned. But sans that, since I can be a good bo...oops, girl, and buy the real thing---the bigger problem is that I'm on 56K (absolute bottleneck in this day and age) and would be for quite sometime. I really want to strangle the cable companies for not bringing some service out of the capital...

On the issue of reload I side with Amazeroth...while I do play the hardcore way a few times and admit that it's a lot more thrilling, it's too much of a hassle. Reloading is a convenient and legit cheat, though I don't do save-die-reload if I can help it. That's a bit too much.

Amazeroth
12th Aug 2002, 14:55
Muahahaha now I have a copy too... unfortunately, also a burned one without a CD Key.
Now let's see... who of you guys here actually has an original? ^^

BTW, I don't consider reloading a cheat... arguing like that, you could also consider the extra lives in Super Mario World a cheat lol

Moggraider
12th Aug 2002, 15:13
You damned pirates.

Canyon Wolf
12th Aug 2002, 17:00
Surprise surprise...I actually have an original copy now. Just this morning, in fact. Brother came in, shove a copy into my face, held up his own and said "Let's see who's really the best mage---online." Mwa ha ha.

Problem still is the 56K....

Amazeroth
12th Aug 2002, 23:36
Originally posted by Moggraider
You damned pirates.

I've been taught to be a good consumer. There are a lot of other things I want that can't be burned. Like a car, a TV, a video recorder, an MP3 player, better hardware for my PC.
So stop calling me pirate.

Moggraider
13th Aug 2002, 16:44
The fact that you buy a lot of other stuff doesn't change the fact that you're stealing from hardworking, middle-class programmers, store employees, stock boys, packagers, and others.

Amazeroth
13th Aug 2002, 19:20
Moggraider, the noble avatar of the software industry, selflessly fights against the windmills of the corrupted piracy scene. How moving. :rolleyes:

LazyLion
14th Aug 2002, 10:16
I'm totally with Mogg on this. If it isn't worth your money, it isn't worth having. If you want it, pay for it.

Amazeroth
14th Aug 2002, 10:21
Okay, please transfer €50,00 to my account and I'll buy it.

Moggraider
14th Aug 2002, 15:37
You suck, pirate!

Amazeroth
15th Aug 2002, 19:27
You're right, I like to suck all kinds of illegal stuff over the internet to my hard drive.

windcloud
15th Aug 2002, 19:33
heh. most of my games are copies...

Canyon Wolf
17th Aug 2002, 11:56
Shake hands, windcloud? Mine too. *grins*

P.S. For your information, you usually find some amazing stuff in the pirates' bin that the bargain bins have long given up.

Moggraider
17th Aug 2002, 17:50
Oh, don't give me that. Not all your games are abandonware. Not even most of them, or a significant minority of them.

LazyLion
17th Aug 2002, 19:43
Back to topic. Do we start an online game? If so, who's in? When do we play? Do we start with new characters? Do we play the campaign or do we try one of the many modules? etc...

Moggraider
17th Aug 2002, 21:57
I'll play, but I certainly won't be doing the campaign. Somebody find a module.

Canyon Wolf
18th Aug 2002, 14:23
There's been a few modules out already, or so I hear...

EDIT: The first one I don't know what it's about. The newest one that I've heard of seem to involve penguin troopers...

Moggraider
18th Aug 2002, 19:32
Well, pick a good one. I'm putting you in charge.

LazyLion
19th Aug 2002, 02:13
A few modules? There are hundreds of modules out there. Dunno if any of them are good.

Played my 1st online game tonight. Just played around in act one. Was fun :)
As I hosted it, I had no lag at all :D
I seem to die a lot more online then I do offline though.
Got 5 players in the game at one time. Had loads of fun. Would be even funner if I could play with you guys in stead of with complete strangers.

Moggraider
19th Aug 2002, 02:16
Like I said, I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't wanna play through the campaign again.

LazyLion
19th Aug 2002, 15:44
So pick a bloody module. :(

Moggraider
19th Aug 2002, 16:25
I would, but I already put Canyon Wolf in charge of that. Go Jen Go!

Canyon Wolf
23rd Aug 2002, 10:23
You sure pick a good time. College life is bloody busy, dammit. Really, I'm not online all that much, Mogg. I'm not even playing games all that much....haven't even finished the dang campaign yet.

Amazeroth
23rd Aug 2002, 21:32
Um well I got the game running on my computer now. Haven't tried Internet yet but I don't see why there should be a problem. I don't really have a clue how to play it yet though, haven't started yet.
Just to let you know.

LazyLion
26th Aug 2002, 16:31
Amazeroth, if you do get to playing on the internet and you see a server called STSTS, feel free to join. If I host a game, the servername will always be STSTS.

Moggraider
2nd Sep 2002, 07:34
I'll look if I play (rarely).

LazyLion
3rd Sep 2002, 12:49
Moved over to the next stage. Formed a group with four other players and we play almost every evening now. Game's passworded, so non of you can join :)

If anybody of you is interrested in joining, tell me and I'll give you the password.
We're playing through the campaign (again :() because one of the players just started playing. Once we have lead her through the campaign, it's time to move on to modules.
We plan on playing at least every friday evening/night and whenever we happen to meet online. Will probably be playing two separate games, one for the friday nights, one for the other times.

Gameroom: Team
Servername STSTS
Local characters allowed, so if you miss a night and fall behind in experience, you can level up in single player a bit to catch up again.