PDA

View Full Version : Quick time movie editing

Darkh2o
3rd Jul 2002, 02:17
I posted this on the General Eidos Community Forum with "0" responses, so I decided to give it a try here, where I should have in the first place.;)

I have a quick time movie that was shot of my little girl with my digital camera. Unfortunately, it was shot with the camera in a vertical position (portrait) and I can't find a way to rotate the movie. Is there a way to rotate my movie? I'm so ticked about it and can't seem to find any other program that will allow rotating the movie. I've talked to the camera manufacturer with no help and I checked Quick Time's website but couldn't find anything there either. Does anyone know of way to rotate this movie? Please help.

Thanks in advance! I know there is someone out there with video experience that is going to know the answer to this one.

If I'm up a creek, let me down gently because it's a really good shot of my daughter.http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/sad2.gif

ChowYunFat
3rd Jul 2002, 02:23
Maybe you should just put the monitor on its side. :)

Darkh2o
3rd Jul 2002, 02:25
:p Ha Ha:p very funny CYF! what a smarty! I do have to admit though, the thought did cross my mind!:rolleyes:

Komag
3rd Jul 2002, 02:37
Well, the only thing you can really do is cut off the top and bottom until the movie is wider than it is tall, then zoom in the whole thing till it fills the screen. I have no clue what kind of video editing software you'd need for such a move - way beyond me and my little simple cut-n-paste video editing experience.

bravus
3rd Jul 2002, 03:31
Are you editing using Quick Time Pro? This page is older, and I think refers to an earlier version of Quicktime, but if you do a 'Find in page...' search for '90' on this page there are some instructions...

http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/tech/winmovieplayer/mp6w.html

It may have changed somewhat, but it's hard to imagine they would have removed that functionality. Give it a try. I need to buy Pro quite soon for home and work: I had it in my past job but it (i.e. the key) stayed there.

See ya, HTH,

Bravus

Darkh2o
3rd Jul 2002, 12:30
Thanks for your assistance everyone. bravus, I don't have Pro, just the free deal, so I don't think that I can do the editing. If I had Pro (maybe my wife will let me get it) then, according to your link, I could do the editing.

Oh well, I guess I'll turn the monitor on its side.:rolleyes:

bravus
3rd Jul 2002, 12:45
G'day Dark

I think the Pro version is only about 30 bucks, and if you're gonna be playing around with digital video it's probably a worthwhile investment. Now if you had a Mac you'd have iMovie. ;)

Bravus

Muzman
3rd Jul 2002, 17:06
Why are you using quicktime at all? Have you tried some of the free-ish AVI editors? Just a thought
I don't really have much ground level experience to impart about this sadly, It can be done with an expensive copy of Premiere with a smorgasbourd of plugins though. Not much help there, I know.

bravus
3rd Jul 2002, 17:15
I guess he's using Quicktime 'cos he's using a Quicktime movie... ;) :p So if it's a .mov file, a .avi editor might not be that useful. As to how it got into that format in the first place... Dark dewd? Are you using a Mac and iMovie to import the video, or did you get it from someone else, or...? Usually PC video capture cards save as mpeg by default, but many of them can do Quicktime... I find it handy because it has a simple to use, free player that's available for all platforms, so I send video stuff to my not-very-computer-literate family on a CD with the full version Windows Quicktime installer included on the CD.

Bravus

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 17:19
How big is it? THE MOVIE!!!:D
I might have a look at it for you if you like. But can't promise anything cos I'm new at editing. There should be a rotate function in my software though.

bravus
3rd Jul 2002, 17:28
Hehe - if it's raw digital video (uncompressed), then it ain't coming over the Internet anytime soon, even with broadband! Depends how compressed it is, but I just did a 6 minute segment of Quicktime video this morning, at 320x240 with serious compression algorithms, and it was still 41 MB...

Bravus

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 17:40
I know, You should have seen my Thief Briefing before compression, 400Meg:eek: It's now 20.5M after compression;)

Darkh2o
3rd Jul 2002, 18:27
Originally posted by Muzman
Why are you using quicktime at all? Have you tried some of the free-ish AVI editors? Just a thought
I don't really have much ground level experience to impart about this sadly, It can be done with an expensive copy of Premiere with a smorgasbourd of plugins though. Not much help there, I know.

Bravus nailed it...
Orginally posted by bravus
I guess he's using Quicktime 'cos he's using a Quicktime movie...

My digital camera records in Quick Time and that's why it's in Quick Time.:p I'm going to have to convert it from a .mov file to a .wmv file so I can upload it for my family to see. The site it is going to will only accept .wmv files, so I've got some converting to do.

Thanks for the offer Thorin. I found someone with Adobe Premier and said that he could do it. Now I don't have to worry about it, except for finding a converter from .mov to .wmv files. Besides, you would be bored with it anyway. It's only 15 seconds long and 4MB in size of my daughter playing in her swimming pool. And before you get any ideas about seeing my daughter in a swim suit, she's only 6 months old. :p

Thanks everyone for helping me out. My wife was smacking me in the head for recording it wrong. Lucky for me she doesn't have a blackjack.:D

Muzman
3rd Jul 2002, 18:56
yes "wel duh! :p s" all 'round.
I am intrigued, though. Recording in Quicktime native eh? What camera have you got? (I'm only familiar with DV and such stuff so go easy ;) )

Darkh2o
3rd Jul 2002, 19:35
Originally posted by Muzman
yes "wel duh! :p s" all 'round.
I am intrigued, though. Recording in Quicktime native eh? What camera have you got? (I'm only familiar with DV and such stuff so go easy ;) )

Sorry to:p :p :p so much. My camera is about 1 1/2 years old. I have an Olympus D-510 Zoom. It only records 15 seconds in movie mode and saves it as a .mov file. If you are interested in digital cameras, I would suggest visited this site... http://www.dcresource.com/ for information on the latest digital cameras. Very informative!

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 21:40
Originally posted by Darkh2o
And before you get any ideas about seeing my daughter in a swim suit, she's only 6 months old. :p

:mad: What kind of a person do you think I am?:eek:

Darkh2o
3rd Jul 2002, 21:59
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield

:mad: What kind of a person do you think I am?:eek:

Just kidding Thorinhttp://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/ed/shocked.gif. Don't get outta wack. I don't think that of you (or anyone on this forum).

Here http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/ruinkai/icescream.gif have some ice cream on me!:)

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 22:02
I only like Chocolate flavour:p