PDA

View Full Version : Dagnabbit, stupid xp. T2 wont install

MGSnake87
3rd Jul 2002, 01:17
I cannot get thief 2 to install on my xp system, gateway, 20 meg hd, 1.6gighz, 128 megs of ram, i have a nVidia geforce somethin. its almost brand new, got it in february.

But anyway. when i start it up, usually it says that the wrong disc is in the drive when i install it (theif 2, disc one.). or if it doesn't do that.. after the install sheild thing finishes and goes to 100%, then nothing happens... no installation starts or anything.. i've had this game for a year now and havent been able to play it, it works on other peoples computers, so its not the disc, and it is NOT my cd rom drive, everything else works in it..

thanks... Please IM me on AOL, my nick is MGSnake15

Munin the Raven
3rd Jul 2002, 01:53
For XP, you may need to type the command "x:\setup.exe -lgntforce " (without the quotes and also note that "x" represents your CD drive and the first letter of "lgntforce" is a lowercase letter "L") into the runbox. Using the autorun installation or installing manually through explorer or the runbox usually doesn't work.

Post again if you still can't get it to install. There are a couple of other tricks to try if the above force command doesn't work.

Rommel_1891
3rd Jul 2002, 13:43
Munin has you on the correct path... ;)

I have Thief running fine and dandy on XP. XP is based on the NT kernel, and tends to not like things made for entertainment such as games. :p With that command, you override the block and install anyway. I've had no problems taffing on this machine, I finished it back in March. P4 1.7ghz, 40gig HD, 512mb DDR, Nvidia GeForce2, etc.

Sounds like your machine is fairly comparible to mine, and given the age of Thief, I agree that your hardware is not to blame! ;)

Good luck, and hope you can get back to the taffing. :D

MGSnake87
3rd Jul 2002, 18:23
It says that setup.exe isn't a correct file on the directory D or somethin like that.... and the name of my cd drive IS d... so it makes nooo sence.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rommel_1891
4th Jul 2002, 02:20
I think on the T2 disk, the file is "install.exe". You're telling the computer to force-run a file at the drive location. So if Setup.exe isn't the file, explore the disk and find out which it is (there should be only one .exe file in the main cd directory). ;)

The main thing is to have "-lgntforce" at the end of the run command.

Hope that gets you on the path to taffing. :)

Peter_Smith
4th Jul 2002, 07:52
Please don't make duplicate posts. It creates confusion, and it causes someone to take his or her time to make a reply that may have already been made. I am closing this one. You can carry on with the other.