PDA

View Full Version : Potential Delay

Valenka
22nd Feb 2016, 20:17
With a lot of constructive criticism being given in regard to the content of the Hitman beta, how would everyone feel about the game being delayed once more? We're two weeks and change away from launch on 11 March and if that doesn't give IO Interactive enough time to make the changes that fans are calling for, how likely do you think a second delay would be? Naturally, some people may argue against another delay with the foundation of the game going to be in constant development post-launch, where fixes and changes could be administered via updates and patches.

What are your thoughts?

Greig91
22nd Feb 2016, 20:29
This will be an overwhelming "No" lol.

I'm skeptical about the one episode per month thing as well as the time they have left to make changes. And their willingness to with certain things tbh.

Valenka
22nd Feb 2016, 20:49
I'm skeptical about the one episode per month thing as well as the time they have left to make changes. And their willingness to with certain things tbh.

As am I.
I enjoyed the beta, but there was a lot of things that needed improvement and I'm honestly really paranoid that once the game launches and they've received the money, they won't put in as much effort as they should into further development. It's a disturbing gamble, really.

Persistent_Wolf
22nd Feb 2016, 23:49
While there may be room for improvement, I would still say no. I have been excited for another Hitman game for some time now so I have no desire for it to be delayed. With that being said I really hope there is some adjustments made regarding the opportunities system as many have said. Maybe there has been though, not that I'm holding my breath on the matter. A little hope won't hurt.

MUH
23rd Feb 2016, 01:21
I think this beta was old, developers just want checking all possible bugs ( including those which are already known )

jimbianco
23rd Feb 2016, 03:49
I think this beta was old, developers just want checking all possible bugs ( including those which are already known )

It definitely looked "old". It had a certain unfinished, rough feel to it. Hard to explain. I can almost guarantee 99% of the bugs & glitches the players found were already known to IOI. There's no way they would release a "beta", in the condition we played it ,without knowing all the problems we were about to discover for ourselves. As for the animations, some were actually in the alpha, and not in the beta (picking up & dumping of bodies). Now the gameplay, no idea. The trouble is the much talked about "triggered" events. THAT is the only thing I worry about. Just because it had the word "beta", doesn't mean it's the latest build.

Valenka
23rd Feb 2016, 16:31
It definitely looked "old". It had a certain unfinished, rough feel to it. Hard to explain. I can almost guarantee 99% of the bugs & glitches the players found were already known to IOI. There's no way they would release a "beta", in the condition we played it ,without knowing all the problems we were about to discover for ourselves. As for the animations, some were actually in the alpha, and not in the beta (picking up & dumping of bodies). Now the gameplay, no idea. The trouble is the much talked about "triggered" events. THAT is the only thing I worry about. Just because it had the word "beta", doesn't mean it's the latest build.

Well, that's a very positive and optimistic outlook. It's also a very logical one; I also had a similar feeling about the beta being outdated. It did feel very basic and like an older build. I agree though, the biggest issue is the scripted/trigger events; I wasted twenty minutes standing outside of the yacht after I planted a bomb in the office waiting for Kalvin and Mr. Norfolk to walk in...and they didn't. Not until I climbed aboard the yacht and walked to their vicinity. Absolutely abysmal, that.

I did notice that 47 had an awkward reloading animation for handguns; the pistol angles and morphs through his hand as he reloads. That, and the assault rifle or shotgun on his back will morph through him if he goes into hand-to-hand combat. Obviously, that pales in comparison to the "triggered" events, but still needs attention to support the immersive feel of the game.

IamRahx
24th Feb 2016, 16:46
At this point I honestly do not know. I am more interested to see what they do.
From the get go I found it to be pretty crazy to claim that it's episodic so that they can improve the game based on player critique.
I fully understand if they said they could fix bugs/tighten animations... but improving a game seems to be too much of a task to complete in a month let alone a few weeks.
I am sure 'easier' things can be fixed/improved, like lip syncing/responsive movement. But actual mechanics (The largest atm is needing the player to be within range to activate scripted events) I doubt that's an easy fix and will need balancing.
Imaging if the next largest issue is the lack of good sniper locations on a map... I don't want to sound too negative, but realistically speaking, this is a task that might be too great to accomplish within the expected timeframe. The only solution is to delay. But this hinges on what IO will change based on player critique.

radioteque
24th Feb 2016, 20:04
At this point, we'll know how everything works out at launch.

I echo Valenka in saying that it's a very optimistic way of looking at things if you feel that the beta is an 'old build'.

Valenka
24th Feb 2016, 21:17
Imaging if the next largest issue is the lack of good sniper locations on a map... I don't want to sound too negative, but realistically speaking, this is a task that might be too great to accomplish within the expected timeframe. The only solution is to delay. But this hinges on what IO will change based on player critique.

Well, I'm glad you mentioned that because I had a rather disturbing thought: how exactly will one manage assassinating their target with a sniper rifle from a distance if you have to be within an area for them to actually "activate?" For example, in Paris, Victor Novikov doesn't walk down the main hall stairs until 47 walks in. What if he lingers in the main hall until 47 walks in, leaving the player unable to kill him with a sniper rifle? What are you supposed to do then, follow him around until he gets to an open area and then run back to the best vantage point to assassinate him? Why bother when you're already right next to the man?

It's really troubling. :scratch:

dr_syn76
25th Feb 2016, 10:28
IO have said that when the game launches it will be of a quality one would expect of a AAA game. Were that not achievable, a delay would have been announced by now. The beta would have been more about testing the mechanics of the gameplay to see if players liked the way things were working, which is what subsequent tweaks will most likely be largely focused on.

They teased a sniper solution to Showstopper in the trailer, with 47 lining up a shot from a tower. Ditto with the Italy map. They know we like to snipe and updates to levels that manipulate the routes of NPCS to afford further opportunities would be an easy mission modification for them.

Tobias Reaper

HampStamp
25th Feb 2016, 12:20
... IO have said that when the game launches it will be of a quality one would expect of a AAA game. ...
Tobias Reaper

Well. That doesnt say much nowadays..

Greig91
25th Feb 2016, 14:59
Well, I'm glad you mentioned that because I had a rather disturbing thought: how exactly will one manage assassinating their target with a sniper rifle from a distance if you have to be within an area for them to actually "activate?" For example, in Paris, Victor Novikov doesn't walk down the main hall stairs until 47 walks in. What if he lingers in the main hall until 47 walks in, leaving the player unable to kill him with a sniper rifle? What are you supposed to do then, follow him around until he gets to an open area and then run back to the best vantage point to assassinate him? Why bother when you're already right next to the man?

It's really troubling. :scratch:

Also you had to stash bodies inside containers to complete the SA challenges in the beta. If SA in the full game works the same way you wont be able to achieve it with a sniper rifle unless you go in and move the body after taking the shot. Which is pointless, you'd be better off using a sidearm at close range and saving yourself the walk.

Valenka
26th Feb 2016, 17:46
IO have said that when the game launches it will be of a quality one would expect of a AAA game. Were that not achievable, a delay would have been announced by now. The beta would have been more about testing the mechanics of the gameplay to see if players liked the way things were working, which is what subsequent tweaks will most likely be largely focused on.

Yet another positive, optimistic outlook. I like it. :)
I would be in that same boat, but part of me is slightly apprehensive because their statement doesn't exactly hold weight when compared to the beta. Naturally, there was the good point made that the beta could have been an older build, but unless we have official confirmation of that fact, it's just circumstantial, unfortunately.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I think I speak for everyone when I say not a single one of us wish to be screwed over by the Hitman franchise. It doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution every now and then, especially when the line between the quality of the beta and the quality of the main game is fragile and blurry.

Also you had to stash bodies inside containers to complete the SA challenges in the beta. If SA in the full game works the same way you wont be able to achieve it with a sniper rifle unless you go in and move the body after taking the shot. Which is pointless, you'd be better off using a sidearm at close range and saving yourself the walk.

Exactly. Unless, of course, they have situations like Hitman Sniper where a well-timed shot could hide the body for you, like over a ledge or into some bushes or something. Most likely, but you never know.

They teased a sniper solution to Showstopper in the trailer, with 47 lining up a shot from a tower. Ditto with the Italy map. They know we like to snipe and updates to levels that manipulate the routes of NPCS to afford further opportunities would be an easy mission modification for them.

Yeah, but like Greig91 said, eliminating your target with a sniper rifle will not yield a Silent Assassin rating. Naturally, that was never a guarantee in previous games either; there were only a handful of opportunities to snipe your target and still achieve a silent assassin rating, but where hiding bodies contributes to that this time around, one shouldn't expect to achieve the SA feat with a sniper rifle.