PDA

View Full Version : Having a prob Installing TG on w2k

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 00:25
I'm forcing Thief Gold to install on my w2k machine.
However when it says insert disk 2 I insert it and click OK and the cdrom lights up and nothing:mad: I left it while I had my tea and it was still at 32% These are Brand New cd's I got them from theBlackman ;)

I tried 2 times now and the same thing happens:rolleyes: It works on the wife's computer but it's not good enough to play Thief on:o

Any idea's taffers?

Grey Mouser
3rd Jul 2002, 00:41
Make sure you have Service Pack 2 installed for Win 2k!! Fixes lots-o-probs with various games.

Hmm, other than that...?? /me puts on thinking cap, may not answer until tomorrow.

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 00:45
I have sp2 GM;)
I'll wait until tomorrow then, I'll see if your thinking cap works :D

I'll have another go at it in the morning too.

stikboy
3rd Jul 2002, 00:46
Also, make sure you have all compatability updates from Microsoft.

Of course, you might try cleaning/or replacing the CD Drive if it's relativley old. I did have a prob installing Thief 2 when My drive went bad - It would always get to around 90% and just stop copying.

Hopefully GM will have something else soon

Stile451
3rd Jul 2002, 04:46
Thorin, copy both cds to the same directory and install from there. You may have to edit install.cfg afterwards. :D

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 17:44
Thanks Guys;)
I'll try copying to HD then installing. Thanks for the sugestion Salvage;)

Vanguard
3rd Jul 2002, 19:01
When installing on Windows 2000, inserting the 2nd CD has it load its opening window (i.e., another install kicks off). It may not show as the topmost window. When this 2nd install kicks off, I believe the 1st install will hang. So just find the window for the 2nd erroneous install that started, close it, and then click OK on the 1st install's prompt window to insert the 2nd CD.

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Jul 2002, 22:11
Thanks Vanguard.
I couldn't reinstall today because of visitors.
I'll see if that is happening tomorrow when I try again. Else it's the copy to HD way.
Thanks again all, I appreciate it;)

bravus
4th Jul 2002, 00:16
An alternative thing to do might be to hold down 'Shift' as you install the second disk and it spins up (if that key is the same in 2k as in 98 - I think it is) to avoid the Autoplay. Either that or Vanguard's solution should fix it.

Bravus

Thorin Oakenshield
4th Jul 2002, 17:40
Thanks;)