PDA

View Full Version : Awesome FM... The Mystery Man by Doaal

Speedy[143]
2nd Jul 2002, 21:53
2 and a half hours of pure fun!!!!!!:D

Totally enjoyed it... played on Rogue and found it challenging but doable... the more FMs I play the more I find out what turns me on... this one's got it all;)

It's definitely goin on my fav list and I'm going to be looking for more FMs by Doaal... THANKS!!!!

XXXOOO
Speedy

ChowYunFat
2nd Jul 2002, 23:38
Hi speedy! What was it you especially liked about it. I haven't played this one yet.

Nightwalker
3rd Jul 2002, 01:03
If you haven't played it, then what are you waiting for?:D It's a terrific mission. It's basically a key hunt, but the setting is great, there's tons of loot hidden in very unusual places and it's just fun to play!

ChowYunFat
3rd Jul 2002, 01:51
OK, Nightwalker, I'll do it!!!!

SlyFoxx
3rd Jul 2002, 02:45
MM was the frist FM I ever played. IT rocks rocks rocks rocks (thwap....ok sly shut-up already:p ) I can't say enough about this mission. It's not gold in the traditional scence but it's gold in my book. Doaal's working on another mission right now and I know I'm not the only one looking forward to it.:)

SlyFoxx

Vanguard
3rd Jul 2002, 19:23
It is a tough mission to play because of all the secrets you need to find. I had to slash some banners to find stuff (but which doesn't make sense at this point, like the recesses behind the banners in the <font style="color:blue;background-color:blue">downstairs library room</font>. I've so far only found the earth and air talismans and am still looking for the last two.

Sometimes getting the key, like the upper floor key, requires some unusual moves. At the pool, you can see a balcony but I couldn't manage to jump and mantle up even with the help of a crate for added altitude. I did find out how to get up there but to get the upper floor key I had to <font style="color:blue;background-color:blue">bang on the door to get the guard to come out who has the key on his belt and then kill him off - I found no switch to get through the fireplace from the other end of this torture chamber secret area</font>.

I think the loot objective says to get 4000, but I've already got 10,969! It took awhile to figure out what those unfrobbable big gold urns were for that would light up when you approached them. I'm not ghosting this FM right now, but instead of tapping all the guards, I left most alone but had fun luring the zambor and darkbeast (that spawn in the master's bedroom) to the guards. I love melees. They sure do move faster than normal, though.

Nightwalker
3rd Jul 2002, 19:59
It sounds like you're having some fun with this one, Vanguard. :)

There IS a switch in the fireplace, to get to the <font style = "color:blue;background-color:blue"> area where you find the Upper Floor Key. You have to look above your head, when you're inside the fireplace. </font>

Speedy[143]
3rd Jul 2002, 20:50
That's the same amount of loot I got Vanguard 10969/15369... I can't believe I missed so much:(

Oh well it was a kicka** FM... I'm very excitied to hear Doaal is working on another thanks for the info Sly:D

How you doin ChowYunFat???? You're very luck to have Nightwalker & Vanguard helping you... I don't keep notes.. I just play for fun and move to the next FM.... BTW I'm playing The Saint Of Redmound by Maria Strom (Morrgan) now and I must be on a roll or one very lucky lady 'cuz this one is excellent too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XXXOOO
Speedy

Vanguard
4th Jul 2002, 02:45
Well, I got to 12,419. I missed 2 rings in Lord Hector's room right in plain sight atop an empty bookcase. One spot I think was a bit nasty. Right above the main entrance by the front doors is some slanted wood on the ceiling where you can use a rope arrow and there are some banners. You can't use your sword (or much of anything else) while hanging from a rope. So you have to get your sword ready, jump at the banner, slash, and hope you snag the rope again. There's no secrets count so I can't tell if I've found every secret passage.

Those darkbeasts are nasty. They move quick and are tough to beat when taken on one-on-one. They're impossible when they gang up on you. The pool comes in real handy to wade over to the opposite side so you have time to ready your sword; when they get hit, you've got a moment to fall back into the pool for safety. Killing Master Necron was even harder; that's one turbo-propelled AI. It's hard to get him by surprise. I ended up making noise in a dark spot where he would show up so I could sneak up from behind, get in one overhead whack, and then keep whacking him with the sword so he kept keeling over. If it managed to recover from one keel over, I was dead.

I did look up in the fireplace but never found a switch. I didn't douse the fire because I could manage to move around it and even lean into without damage. But maybe the smoke was blocking my view up the chimney. Oh well, luring out the guard worked, too. <i>Knock, knock. Who's there? Candygram. (da-dum da-dum) Who's it from? Um, pizza delivery. (da-dum da-dum) I didn't order any pizza. Jehovah's witness, maam. (da-dum da-dum). </i>

Speedy[143]
4th Jul 2002, 06:17
I found those rings in Hectors room the second time I went in looking for the holy water again... which I never found... made me a bit nervous about going back and facing the beast without it... wasn't sure if I could defet him without the "Poison":eek:... lucky for me I had one flash bomb left to use on him... it distracted him long enough that I could give him a few wacks with my sword and he was toast;)

One of the things I loved about MM was the fact that you had to read everything and there was lots to read.... there was a huge hint about how to handle the darkbeasts Vanguard... they don't like light:D.... I was able to kill all 4 of them at once with ONE fatal throw... sooooooooo c00l to see them all collapse in a heap in the middle of the entrance to the final objective....

Getting through the mirror stumped me for a few minutes... but by that time I knew if I just thought about what the sign said it would come to me and sure enough I realized the reflection in the mirror was just different enough to know what I needed to do to gain entrance... again 2 thumbs up for Mystery Man:D

XXXOOO
Speedy

Vanguard
4th Jul 2002, 20:20
Well, if the darkbeasts don't like the light, why were they chasing me around the outside pool and anywhere inside the mansion where it was plenty lit? I had already doused the torches inside the tower doors so I could sneak in; I still like to sneak and ghostlike when possible. Then, BLAM, the skeleton explodes and they all get alerted.

I didn't notice any difference in the mirror in the tower. But then I figured it like this: if there wasn't any light, there couldn't be any reflection.