PDA

View Full Version : Why Separate 'Manual' & AutoSaves?

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 00:21
I get why it's handy to distinguish auto-saves from manual saves in some way, but does it really make sense to split them into different menus? To me, when I load the game, I'm typically wanting to see which are the most recent, and if I made a manual save lately, I expect to see it, rather than having to navigate to a different page before they show up. It was confusing at first, and now remains as an annoyance.

I would recommend having all saves on one page and just colour/style the autos differently somehow.

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 01:32
The manual saves also only seem to be sorted chronologically when loading, but not when saving. Very unhelpful.

Darth_KyloRen___
13th Feb 2016, 10:42
I heavily disagree. Having the auto and manual saves under different tabs is a great idea. If you accidentally load the wrong save you may then start moaning that you've lost progress or things. It's not that much effort to press one button to flip to the manual save files. There are much bigger issues that need solving first than fixing something that isn't broken

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 15:07
Not sure I'm with you there, as people should be used to the concept of auto-saves by now, so long as they're distinctly marked. The bigger risk may actually be some people not realising there's 2 menus and saying their manual saves have been lost - don't underestimate how many people don't look at menu structures. It's all about what the majority of UX feedback comes back with on this one rather than just what you or I feel though, of course.

I do agree, however, that there are bigger issues, but the point of a feedback channel is to present all items so the devs can prioritise. I'm sure they're smart enough not to look at something like this before addressing the audio stutters, account linking, animation glitches, etc.

Valenka
13th Feb 2016, 16:40
I heavily disagree. Having the auto and manual saves under different tabs is a great idea. If you accidentally load the wrong save you may then start moaning that you've lost progress or things. It's not that much effort to press one button to flip to the manual save files. There are much bigger issues that need solving first than fixing something that isn't broken

Agreed.

llliilliilll
13th Feb 2016, 20:24
I get why it's handy to distinguish auto-saves from manual saves in some way, but does it really make sense to split them into different menus? To me, when I load the game, I'm typically wanting to see which are the most recent, and if I made a manual save lately, I expect to see it, rather than having to navigate to a different page before they show up. It was confusing at first, and now remains as an annoyance.

I would recommend having all saves on one page and just colour/style the autos differently somehow.

I think it might have something to do with saving in game when you're about to do something that might be incredibly bad. Older titles of Hitman didn't allow saving as you had to do it in one shot. You couldn't save before you made your move. I would expect manual saves to be removed from higher difficulties.