PDA

View Full Version : [DISCUSSION] Opportunities

Travis_IO
11th Feb 2016, 17:35
Opportunities is a new feature for HITMAN.

This feature will help you to work through possible hit scenarios and will give you guidance.

Opportunities are fully optional and have three different toggleable options that can be changed during gameplay.
Full, Minimal and Off.

Full will guide you through each step. Minimal will only gives you the clues. Off will give you no help at all.

Use this thread to tell us what you think about them.

radioteque
11th Feb 2016, 18:14
This is a bit early, but I'm really happy to see that the 'Opportunities' are optional.

It's a good start for new players, but I found that during the Alpha, it gave too much info away.

Valenka
12th Feb 2016, 01:20
I like the Opportunities and I especially like that they're optional. I haven't turned them off yet or adjusted their settings to minimal; I left it on its default setting just to experiment with it. I like that it serves as a "I give up" option if you can't figure something out; it basically leads you step by step to what you need to take advantage of the Opportunity. However, now that I've finished the Final Test, I'm going to go back and mess around with the Yacht Training and Final Test missions once more without any kind of assistance whatsoever. I'm curious to see how many different assassination methods are present in the beta alone. :D

Alex6897
12th Feb 2016, 11:24
Opportunities are a really good thing for people who want to be guided the first times but I will turn them minimal eventually and I will play the game the hardest mode! I want it to be as real as possible!

Alsharad
12th Feb 2016, 16:07
There's no "track" option in the Intel menu. I have the option to track an opportunity when I first get it but is there an option to track another one when I change my mind?

tmghost
13th Feb 2016, 00:52
I quite enjoy the Intel/Opportunities. It gives you more of the story and makes it feel less like an empty sandbox which would be boring as hell. Agreed with Alsharad, the tracking needs fixing.

TangibleOrange
13th Feb 2016, 02:28
I like the Opportunities a lot. It's a really nice touch to hear about the different ways you can go about a mission but sometimes I feel like it leads the player a little too much. For instance, in the Final mission the first opportunity you hear tells you to get a guard suit and then indicates the closest guard. I feel like it would be better for the player to have to find a guard suit themselves instead of being told where exactly to find one. However, I can see where it could get tricky if there's an object or disguise a player must find and they don't know what it looks like or where to find it.

Also, I wish I could change which opportunity I can track when I've unlocked multiple opportunities. In the Final mission, I was tracking one opportunity, then accidentally started tracking another opportunity and I couldn't go back and track the previous opportunity I was trying to complete. Being able to toggle which opportunity you are tracking at one given time would be a nice feature.

Simt33
13th Feb 2016, 09:15
First of all, let me just say a huge 'well done' for all of your guys' hard work on this game - I think all of us here on the forums can agree that this is the game we've all been hoping for for a while. Let me just share a few thoughts with you on opportunities, though.

I think that the core concept of these is great - it provides a number of ways to kill your target, providing ample replayability and adding interest to these fantastic sandboxes. For the most part, these worked excellently for me in the Beta. However I know that you are looking for ways to further improve the game, and so there are also some concerns which I share with some other reviewers such as RPS as to the scripting of these. In particular, I sometimes found it hard to know what would trigger certain events, which in some cases lead to problems achieving some of the challenges (or at least I had to perform specific actions to 'trigger' these, which did spoil my immersion in the world somewhat.

To give an example, I saw that one of the challenges on the boat mission was to impersonate Norfolk. I got a security guard outfit, hoping to follow him up the ramp and onto the boat, so I hid and staked him out for a very long time. He didn't move. I played around a little more with this and found that it seemed to be proximity to Ritter which would trigger some of his actions, and that once he went up the stairs to the bar area, Norfolk would set off onto the boat. So on another runthrough I went straight for the bar area, and Norfolk ended up moving almost immediately.

Similarly, whilst trying to get the 'A Slide Mistake' achievement on the airbase, I took the KGB officer uniform and set up the projector. I hung around the target for a while, waiting for him to notice (as he did in a previous runthrough) that the projector was on and waiting for him. However, after several cycles of redacted notes - chess board - noticeboard - cigarette, he didn't seem to be interested, leaving me clueless as to how to get him to the projector without the KGB officer himself in play.

These are very small gripes in an otherwise stellar experience - I have played each of these probably more than 20 times each. I wonder if there would be a way to play with the scripting so that they are triggered by time rather than the player's actions. I would certainly prefer to know that I had missed an opportunity because I was too slow, than to feel like I was ticking boxes in order to 'run' certain events. Equally, I know that this won't apply to all opportunities. For example, it makes sense to me that Ritter won't go to his office until Norfolk arrives. If I was to take Norfolk out quietly, it would seem odd if Ritter carried on without his business partner. However for some of these opportunities it feels like one often has to go through a slightly forced process, or at least not always a totally obvious one, in order to push over the first domino in the run. I think this is possibly also what RockPaperShotgun allude to in their preview, adding to my concern that this may carry over into the full game.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix to this, or whether it is something that we will just get used to over time, but you asked for critical feedback from the Beta, so there it is! :)

Good job again guys, in spite of the above it's going to be a very long month waiting for Paris.

Sharshir
13th Feb 2016, 10:02
First of all, let me just say a huge 'well done' for all of your guys' hard work on this game - I think all of us here on the forums can agree that this is the game we've all been hoping for for a while. Let me just share a few thoughts with you on opportunities, though.

I think that the core concept of these is great - it provides a number of ways to kill your target, providing ample replayability and adding interest to these fantastic sandboxes. For the most part, these worked excellently for me in the Beta. However I know that you are looking for ways to further improve the game, and so there are also some concerns which I share with some other reviewers such as RPS as to the scripting of these. In particular, I sometimes found it hard to know what would trigger certain events, which in some cases lead to problems achieving some of the challenges (or at least I had to perform specific actions to 'trigger' these, which did spoil my immersion in the world somewhat.

To give an example, I saw that one of the challenges on the boat mission was to impersonate Norfolk. I got a security guard outfit, hoping to follow him up the ramp and onto the boat, so I hid and staked him out for a very long time. He didn't move. I played around a little more with this and found that it seemed to be proximity to Ritter which would trigger some of his actions, and that once he went up the stairs to the bar area, Norfolk would set off onto the boat. So on another runthrough I went straight for the bar area, and Norfolk ended up moving almost immediately.

Similarly, whilst trying to get the 'A Slide Mistake' achievement on the airbase, I took the KGB officer uniform and set up the projector. I hung around the target for a while, waiting for him to notice (as he did in a previous runthrough) that the projector was on and waiting for him. However, after several cycles of redacted notes - chess board - noticeboard - cigarette, he didn't seem to be interested, leaving me clueless as to how to get him to the projector without the KGB officer himself in play.

These are very small gripes in an otherwise stellar experience - I have played each of these probably more than 20 times each. I wonder if there would be a way to play with the scripting so that they are triggered by time rather than the player's actions. I would certainly prefer to know that I had missed an opportunity because I was too slow, than to feel like I was ticking boxes in order to 'run' certain events. Equally, I know that this won't apply to all opportunities. For example, it makes sense to me that Ritter won't go to his office until Norfolk arrives. If I was to take Norfolk out quietly, it would seem odd if Ritter carried on without his business partner. However for some of these opportunities it feels like one often has to go through a slightly forced process, or at least not always a totally obvious one, in order to push over the first domino in the run. I think this is possibly also what RockPaperShotgun allude to in their preview, adding to my concern that this may carry over into the full game.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix to this, or whether it is something that we will just get used to over time, but you asked for critical feedback from the Beta, so there it is! :)

Good job again guys, in spite of the above it's going to be a very long month waiting for Paris.

Agree 100%

EoinBradley
13th Feb 2016, 14:47
I've had no problem with tracking. I'm pretty sure you can change the tracked opportunities via the map screen. Personally I think the Opportunities lay an awful lot out in the open, robbing the player of any potential surprise or discovery. It is a good job they can be toned down or turned off altogether.

Also, disappointed that once I'd managed to achieve Death by Proxy (I must have turned that projector off about ten times) the KGB officer didn't react at all to the death he had just caused. Even if he'd just dismissed it and ordered a soldier to deal with the body. But nothing. He just wandered off, past the dead chess man.

It's pretty sweet over all though. Looking forward to more.

llliilliilll
13th Feb 2016, 19:01
I personally don't care for them much. The challenges give me clues to figure out what to do. I can see their point for new players or folks that just want to experience the game but part of the fun of previous Hitman games is figuring out WHAT you can do. Not being told that you can if that makes sense. I hope its restricted from higher levels of difficulty.

TangibleOrange
13th Feb 2016, 21:52
I personally don't care for them much. The challenges give me clues to figure out what to do. I can see their point for new players or folks that just want to experience the game but part of the fun of previous Hitman games is figuring out WHAT you can do. Not being told that you can if that makes sense. I hope its restricted from higher levels of difficulty.

I agree. It feels too much like being led through a mission instead of figuring it out for yourself. You can disable Opportunities in the Settings menu but if you walk up on an Opportunity, you still get a notification at the bottom of the screen telling you that that dialogue will unlock an Opportunity but you won't be able to track it. Hopefully they'll make it so if you turn Opportunities off you won't get any notifications at all.

KeroroCanti
13th Feb 2016, 22:04
I think it's a nice addition for people who need that kind of help or like to have clues highlighted, but I turned them off as soon as I first encountered them. Only issue so far is that even after turning Opportunities off I was still getting map markers and notifications for them, but I'm guessing that's just for tutorial reasons.

TheAfterman
13th Feb 2016, 22:27
Opportunities are amazing, but I definitely felt like it gave away far too much information about what to do. Hitman was more about exploration of the scene and figuring out how to take something down. It would be cool if the pictures were locked and instead of giving away the exact words of what you are needing to use, you could put in "???" in their place. For instance, "Tamper with ??? in the ??? disguise".

Greig91
13th Feb 2016, 22:51
Honestly the fact that they give away every scripted kill is pretty horrible in my opinion. Optional or not. If people are too lazy to figure things out for themselves that's one thing, but enabling people to 100% each level without engaging their brains at all just makes a mockery of the principles this series was founded upon.

I could almost understand it if there was one detailed opportunity per level just to guide less experienced players through first time, with the rest being hidden for people to discover on their own. But as it is you aren't encouraging exploration or experimentation in the slightest. You're catering to two separate types of player, rather than using the gameplay to merge those two types.

You've got people like me, who have played every game in the series and will likely play this with the opportunity assistance turned off. And then you've got people who will just play through it all with all of the assistance turned on, missing out on everything that makes Hitman great, because you have failed to give them a reason not to. And achievements don't count lol. Someone who hasn't played the series before likely wont know any better.

radioteque
13th Feb 2016, 23:14
On a side note, the opportunities would still appear even when I set them to off (during the final test). I would get a 'Opportunity revealed' notification if I happened to be near an informative NPC conversation.

Sanguine27
14th Feb 2016, 11:33
These are definitely a good addition accept for how they're activated. Which currently is when you get near to people who suddenly start talking about 'that ejecter seat needing to be deactivated during safety checks'.

I think opportunities should be set on a timer/routine basis, where the AI involved will go about their business in a circle, having their conversation with their friend every now and then. Thus revealing the opportunity in more of a random/less scripted fashion.

The game feels less alive when the two mechanics on the Final Test mission just wait in the car park forever until you walk up to them.

Sanguine27
14th Feb 2016, 11:35
These are definitely a good addition accept for how they're activated. Which currently is when you get near to people who suddenly start talking about 'that ejecter seat needing to be deactivated during safety checks'.

I think opportunities should be set on a timer/routine basis, where the AI involved will go about their business in a circle, having their conversation with their friend every now and then. Thus revealing the opportunity in more of a random/less scripted fashion.

The game feels less alive when the two mechanics on the Final Test mission just wait in the car park forever until you walk up to them.

Paws47
14th Feb 2016, 12:21

^ This is an excellent point, and also scripting things this way could potentially make it very hard to miss stuff, like just wandering around will guarantee you catch(trigger) all the conversations they want you to hear, maybe that sounds strange but I want to miss stuff, I don't want options to just fall into my lap, it's not very satisfying or interesting, rather it be more like being in the right place at the right time, or seeing two people wonder off away for a private conversation (not scripted or triggered by your presence) prompting you to follow and you might over hear something thats POTENTIALLY useful.

Like within the first 10 seconds of the Final Test I knew I was going to get the target by rigging the jet in some way, not satisfying at all and doubly so as I got a notification upon hearing the conversation confirming that this was in fact a way to take out the target, removing any sense of wonder, basically just felt like being told how to do it. It was fun to go through the safety protocols with him leading to his accident, but would of enjoyed it a lot more if the set up wasn't gift wrapped.

I had no idea what to do with the projector or what I could do, which was awesome 'cause I liked not knowing, until I looked at the challenges for the first time which spoiled it for me lol before that I had an active interest in finding out how to play that situation out and what would happen, now I know what will happen and have a general sense of how to do it, I really have no motivation to actually do it, other than to tick that box, and really thats not much of a motivation.

HolographicLotus
14th Feb 2016, 16:06
Opportunities feel too triggered.
Like one person in this thread mentioned how it should be a part of their routine.

Imagine having to follow guards around until they start revealing information.
I hate how in the beta it triggers like a tripwire for the opportunity... too much hand holding.

IOI needs to understand that exploration is half the experience. Hand holding reveals everything
far too quickly. Too much information is given to us which ruins the fun of experimenting.

KeroroCanti
14th Feb 2016, 20:29
Yeah, I 100% agree with the trigger aspect. A huge part of the immersion was immediately ruined once I realized people only had conversations when you approached them, rather than having them on some sort of independent schedule where you could stumble onto information. At the moment I think that specific aspect is my least favorite part of the game. I know some of the older games had player-triggered conversations too, but they were very uncommon and tended to only be there to flesh out the world or story so it didn't feel super off.

manicman
14th Feb 2016, 23:07
Yeah, I 100% agree with the trigger aspect. A huge part of the immersion was immediately ruined once I realized people only had conversations when you approached them, rather than having them on some sort of independent schedule where you could stumble onto information. At the moment I think that specific aspect is my least favorite part of the game. I know some of the older games had player-triggered conversations too, but they were very uncommon and tended to only be there to flesh out the world or story so it didn't feel super off.

If there's critical info that needs to be conveyed to the player, it'd be much better to have it delivered by talking to NPCs - bartenders, doormen and the like, rather than people artificially starting up strangely relevant conversations when you get near them.

Also, triggering NPC routines or behaviour just for passing over some invisible line is a big no-no!

HolographicLotus
15th Feb 2016, 02:01
Triggered events would be acceptable on the lowest difficulty setting for casual gamers who are new to the franchise.

Beyond that it these opportunities should be something we discover upon exploration and observing our environment.

Shahyd
15th Feb 2016, 03:06
Hi everyone.

The new feature called "Opportunities" is a really great addition to the game with a big potential.

However like my dear colleagues said above, the structure needs to be tweaked in a freeform mode not depending on us players to be triggered because of our presence in order to launch the script.

Everything should live on its own wether 47 is here or not (Dialogues, events, actions etc...)

It makes the game too easy and predictable and far from organic living outside 47. You want a living breathing world? Make it as it doesn't depend on player's presence to be triggered except few cases where it could be logical like in the beta when disguised as the KGB Officer we go see Jasper for the radio call for example. (Is Jasper Knight an easter egg to Jesper Kyd? Because I immediately thought about that when I saw the target's name lol)

You should put in a place a sort of timer in npcs and target planned routines and behaviors changes depending on your impact during their routine causing them to change but not the need to be here to lauch a script waiting after us, blocking the target in a predetermined area.

Also a lot less hand holding about them would be welcome. Don't ruin us the fun of exploration and discovery please.

I think IO you were probably afraid of players not watching or listening to everything. It's maybe why you made such a decision to implement triggering system, maybe. Don't worry replayability is here for that.
Thanks. Cheers!

HolographicLotus
17th Feb 2016, 03:12
^^^ Agreed.

Triggered events feels like running around a map pushing buttons to activate a task.
Locations should have a steady flow, and have loops --- basically "Curtains Down" summarizes all of this.

The point with loops is to create a mental calculation and plan our movements with the flow of the location.
Hitman has always been about timing our footsteps with the NPCs... the beta completely took that away.

HolographicLotus
17th Feb 2016, 03:15
Like within the first 10 seconds of the Final Test I knew I was going to get the target by rigging the jet in some way, not satisfying at all

It's like wrapping a gift inside a transparent glass box for a surprise.

hichanbis
18th Feb 2016, 13:20
Not a huge fan of the opportunities.
It spoils too much, and there's no way to fully disable them.
Even with the options off there are still opportunites markers on the map.

Also I don't like how in the final test I was forced to be spoiled by the first opportunity dialog.
The game forces you to climb the fence to start the level, and then the dialog between the mechanics tells you about the jet kill.
I don't like the triggered dialog and I would have prefered discovering the possibility on my own.

YungSpaceWalrus
19th Feb 2016, 20:01
As a Hitman fan I'm going to be turning off opportunites completely. It removes any discovery from the game for me.

Shredsss
19th Feb 2016, 21:30
give you guidance.

I don't want guidance. This game was supposed to not have guidance. I want to use my own brains like in old Hitman games. FFS

Where is difficulty level selection, and proper HC mode that gets rid of this laughable crap?

texkid4
20th Feb 2016, 03:07
No more of the triggered events. PLEASE NO. It takes so much away from the Hitman formula. Literally love everything else. Everything needs to be on a timer, not waiting for 47 to walk in...

HolographicLotus
20th Feb 2016, 03:19
I don't want guidance. This game was supposed to not have guidance. I want to use my own brains like in old Hitman games. FFS

I just hope they can fix this in time before the game launches.

It seems like all the pieces are in place, they just need to create a clockwork movement of NPCs.

Question is... would that be difficult to do?

YungSpaceWalrus
20th Feb 2016, 03:38
IO, please remove the triggered events, it's really annoying to have to walk to where an enemy is to trigger a conversation and get them to move.

Please change this before release if nothing else.

NullQuery
20th Feb 2016, 09:01
I've just seen this suggestion in another post too, which I've replied to. Events should ideally work on a timer, unless the event requires set-up.

Pilchenstein
20th Feb 2016, 16:48
I'd suggest having opportunities begin on timers when the player has them set to "off" in the options menu. Also hide the "opportunity revealing" popup when they're turned off too. Otherwise they're a pretty great feature for newer players.

Tristounet
20th Feb 2016, 17:34
I'd suggest to get ride of scripts who only happens when you are close to the target . It's actually ruining the game.

Pilchenstein
20th Feb 2016, 23:53
I'd suggest to get ride of scripts who only happens when you are close to the target . It's actually ruining the game.
I think it's an exaggeration to say it's ruining the game but it would be nice to be able to choose timed events instead, yes.

shivren
21st Feb 2016, 14:12
The opportunity system is way too handholdy, it gives you immediate solutions even though it doesn't always point you to your actual goal. The opportunity floating window also cannot be disabled. It's the same deal as with the challenges, they spoil things. I had way more fun running around the level and figuring out things for myself, although maybe some things should give you enough information without the additional intel from Diana (like the radio room in The Final Test). It's a nice feeling to figure stuff out yourself and since Hitman is a puzzle game as much as a stealth game, not trusting your players with solving the problems you present them with might hurt the experience. Absolution's challenges descriptions were vague enough to make you think a little bit. They also didn't have pictures literally showing you the spot you have to stand at to complete the challenge.

TheEngiGuy
22nd Feb 2016, 14:09
I have the opportunities disabled in the gameplay options, but it's still annyoing when I'm approaching some dudes talking and the screen "OPPORTUNITY REVEALED" pops up instantly.
When I have the opportunities system disabled no screen should pop up, so that I can only focus on dialogues and figure things out by myself.

DevMorgan
22nd Feb 2016, 18:09
Let me first mention that, I had an ABSOLUTE Blast!!!. I loved that when I hooked up my controller to the PC, the game recognized it and swapped out the button mapping. It felt like I found a hidden Xbox 1 version within the PC. Despite the outdated gaming computer (which i am associating with the low quality), I was very pleased with the beta. I would agree with the overall voice of the whole, being that triggers would be nice for causal players and beginners, I feel that looping and letting it free flow would essentially allow me to learn their patterns, and appropriately hunt my prey. I will also agree that In most cases, the Opportunities gave too much info (in the menu) and made it feel more like a check list. The misnomer being the slide projection murder & the KGB set up for the slide projection murder. Turns out every time I tried to learn about the opportunity, I had a glitch that would seemingly interrupt the trigger. Now that I mention it several times when I saved near a trigger (whether before or after i don't know) it would disable the trigger completely. The only alternative is to improvise and throw a coin, cause being in the bath room (unable to use a disguise) or KILL anyone (except the target) was INTERESTING when the trigger wouldn't react.

Fun Times!!!

BarryBobJones
22nd Feb 2016, 22:34
I like the idea of hinting at different methods of taking someone out. Personally I think it gives even more reason to come back and play a level again just to see if there's another way to killing your target. The only nitpick I have is that scripted events must be triggered rather that following a certain loop. This makes the game kinda predictable and it would be a lot more rewarding if you just happened to be in the right place at the right time to overhear somebodies conversation.

ReaperCCCP
24th Feb 2016, 18:24
As you have probably seen. Many people including me were posting about these Opportunities. I, and as well as many others, have one HUGE complaint about them: They are, heavily, scripted. Meaning once you find one opportunity and decide to go with it the target will automatically either appear there or it will cancel his routines and proceed to its doom.
They must be on a timer meaning an opportunity like dropping specific Chandelier (Like on Paris alpha mission) be on timer. Meaning if you can't find it in time you will have to look for other ways to kill.
I see one little positive side in this new mechanic. It is that once you ready to pull of this event Target will almost instantly appear there. However, don't do it. Let us prepare one trap and go and explore other opportunities something like plan B.
Please IOI be careful with these.