PDA

View Full Version : [DISCUSSION] In-game menu and HUD

Travis_IO
11th Feb 2016, 17:29
Tell us all your thoughts and feedback about the menus, HUD, inventory, mini-map etc.

Be sure to check the in-game settings as you can customise many of the features and effects to your liking.

Valenka
12th Feb 2016, 01:18
With the default settings, everything is wonderfully crisp and clean. I like the layout and the design quite a lot, and the white and red colour scheme is fitting, but not overwhelming. I'm really digging the text fonts used, especially the design for the subtitles. They're clean and subtle, but prominent enough to be read; fortunately, they aren't distracting whatsoever. I was hoping for a bit of Silent Assassin's inventory, where you can read about the weapons you have in your inventory, with a hint of Blood Money, so you can see how the weapon or item looks. However, I am a really huge fan of this minimalist theme involved in the menus, HUD and inventory; it's different and certainly appealing nevertheless. :thumb:

SuperNoctiz
12th Feb 2016, 13:50
I like the design, but some text in some cases are difficult to read.

Valenka
12th Feb 2016, 13:55
I like the design, but some text in some cases are difficult to read.

Really? Where?
I don't think I noticed any discrepancies. :scratch:

Sceysch
12th Feb 2016, 14:12
I absolutely love the new UI. Crisp, minimalist, beautiful.

However, I wish I could open the menu and be brought straight to the map screen first, as that's the one i'm always using every 30 seconds. Also, I often didn't notice when I achieved a feat that I wasn't purposely aiming for because the name of the feat doesn't stand out from other status updates in the corner.

SuperNoctiz
12th Feb 2016, 14:23
Really? Where?
I don't think I noticed any discrepancies. :scratch:

On the first mission, can't quite remember if it was during the freeform or the guided training, but a window poped up explaining something and the text was small, not that I couldn't read it, but I think it was way too small.

Alsharad
12th Feb 2016, 15:59
I tried to turn off all HUD elements but the primary objective doesn't seem to go away. I changed the objectives settings to Always Off but it's still there. I hope I can turn off every HUD element in the game.

Sanguine27
12th Feb 2016, 17:30
I've seen multiple times across the internet that 47's inventory no longer has infinite space to conceal/hold items. Which I think is a good idea but there is nothing in-game to tell you how full your inventory currently is.

bottomtext
12th Feb 2016, 19:04
new UI is excellent, love the clean aesthetic of the text and placement of info across the game screen.

radioteque
12th Feb 2016, 22:29
Clean, crisp, looking good. I'd like to be able to completely turn off the objective on-screen + any recent action / crime / etc. committed (top-right corner).

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 00:00
I have no problem with the layout, but some of the smaller fonts are a bit too small, IMO. I'm using a 42inch HDTV and have pretty good eyesight, but still find it tricky to make out some things (such as Loading %, Labels on the Controller Diagram, PSN Name, etc.). The text on dialog popups, such as loading confirmations is the worst - I can barely read it!

The main menu options themselves and in-game HUD are fine, but can we please get these other elements just 1 or 2 points bigger, please!

jayjasonjayman
13th Feb 2016, 09:16
Please make the text (for subtitles and in-game pop ups and hints) bigger. I have to literally get up off my couch and get 3 feet from my 47 inch tv just to read whats on the screen. Honestly thats my biggest complaint besides the minor audio/video glitches. Overall, well done developers. Cant wait for the full game

Simt33
13th Feb 2016, 11:56
Is there a way to equip a weapon/item from the inventory without getting it out straight away (so that you can just press up later on to get it out? Would be a handy feature, if not. If this already exists then it would be helpful to point this out in the training somewhere...

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 14:42
Is there a way to equip a weapon/item from the inventory without getting it out straight away (so that you can just press up later on to get it out? Would be a handy feature, if not. If this already exists then it would be helpful to point this out in the training somewhere...

Great idea.

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 14:44
Please make the text (for subtitles and in-game pop ups and hints) bigger. I have to literally get up off my couch and get 3 feet from my 47 inch tv just to read whats on the screen. Honestly thats my biggest complaint besides the minor audio/video glitches. Overall, well done developers. Cant wait for the full game

Glad it's not just me! The confirmation messages & briefing text on the level menu are especially hard, because the contrast of grey on grey isn't fantastic, but just a slightly bigger font should be enough to make them legible.

EoinBradley
13th Feb 2016, 15:26
A lot of people have mentioned the lockpicking mechanism. What happened to the radial menu that I saw in the alpha footage (half circle crowbar, half circle lockpick)? I thought that looked great. Also not sure I appreciate the opening of the inventory screen generally - selecting items and weapons. Couldn't we just cycle through an icon in one of the corners?

LukeSlade
13th Feb 2016, 17:16
I am new to the Hitman franchise, and have been playing the beta for a while now. Overall, I am very impressed. I do have a suggestion though regarding the in-game menu.
There are many features in the in-game settings menu, and I don't know what most of them do. I like a challenge when I play, and I am not sure which ones to keep on or turn off. My suggestion would be to add a brief description for each option so the player knows what 'Opportunities' and 'Fast Target' means, just as an example. Thank you.

manicman
13th Feb 2016, 19:19
First of all, thanks so much to IO for making so much of the HUD elements togglable. The game works really well with just Instinct turned on - it makes the mini-map and even full-sized map redundant. Overall I think the remaining HUD elements I have left on (attention, NPC dots, button prompts, Instinct) look really nice and unintrusive. I particularly like the subtle 'interaction' indicators on things like door handles and fire alarms - The Last of Us did that first and it's a lovely way of hinting at what can be used.

But there are some things I don't like:

1. Can't seem to get rid of the Main Objective thing at the top left. Let me turn this off! It's pointless.

2. Still getting some kind of Opportunity or Challenge hint at the top right, even though I have all this stuff set to 'Off'. This needs to be optionally removed as well.

3. When you have a weapon or item 'soft' selected (i.e holstered, but will become unholstered if you press 'up' on the d-pad), you can't tell what it is. The HUD needs to have a state at the bottom right that shows what'll come out when you press the unholster command. At the moment it relies on the player's memory, which is not good.

Talking about the Inventory system, this is the most disappointing thing about the beta for me. Coming from Metal Gear Solid V and, let's face it, most other third-person action games of the last 10 years, having such an intrusive, full-screen, game-pausing inventory of jumbled-up items that must be laboriously tabbed through seems like a massive step back. I know Blood Money had this system, but it was not one of the things that made that game so good!

For me, having to bring the action to the halt to select a gun in what should be a tense moment moment or trying to contain a situation is a real immersion-breaker. There are so many good inventory solutions out there that allow quick selection of items in real-time. Hitman should borrow from something like Watch Dogs, MGSV or, hell, even Hitman: Absolution and give the d-pad over to instant, real-time inventory selection or - even better - assign L1 to holster/unholster (on tap) and Inventory (on hold) and then let the player use the right stick to select items. That way he doesn't even have to take either thumb off the analogue sticks, so can keep walking whilst selecting. Quick, smooth, slick. Just like a hitman should be. As L1 would now do inventory, put run on Left-stick-click (like so many other games) and use the d-pad to shift shoulder view.

almostheking
13th Feb 2016, 19:40
I have many of the same gripes as the rest of the posters here. I want to be able to turn off ALL on-screen info. Some of the options (namely Objectives and, it seems, Vital Info) don't work.

Second: this is something I don't see anyone else mentioning. I hope I'm not the only one here! I really hope there are audio sliders in the final release. I want to be able to turn the music down. Like, down down. Off. Personally, I'd rather let the ambient sound and conversations set the tone and atmosphere. And the current soundtrack is no Jesper Kyd.

Having audio sliders would also help fix the problem with the voice audio, in many cases, being too low. Or just not mixed well. If they remain this way, having audio sliders would at least give the player the option to try and fix it (I don't prefer subtitles).

TheNeil
13th Feb 2016, 19:52
Agreed. Some of the audio levels are a bit poor at present (for example, talking to people at the party, like that security guard, is entirely pointless because you can't hear them at all).

At the very least, every game should have sliders for sound fx and music. I don't tend to like the music off, but do often turn it down a click or 2 for most games, depending on what feels right.

Greig91
13th Feb 2016, 20:14
I like everything except the mission select screen. I don't understand why the cutscenes have to be listed separately from the missions, all it does is artificially extend the list and create unnecessary clutter.

jayjasonjayman
14th Feb 2016, 00:26
Glad it's not just me! The confirmation messages & briefing text on the level menu are especially hard, because the contrast of grey on grey isn't fantastic, but just a slightly bigger font should be enough to make them legible.

Yeah dude. Theres a problem when not only am i wearing glasses but also sitting 6 feet away from my tv and i still have to stand up and get closer just to read what the text says

Whiterabbitmushrooms
14th Feb 2016, 02:16
Long time Hitman fan. The Hitman franchise created like my favorite video games ever (and that's saying a lot) I'm 32 years old.The only Platinum trophy I have on the PSN is ABSOLUTION. Now let me say that the HUD is Absolutely ridiculous. One of the best features of Absolution is that you can turn the HUD Completely off. Purist mode is a must IMO.It makes it more realistic and less videogamey. Having the HUD off makes it more cinematic and helps you fall in to the game more. I will go Absolutely crazy if there is not an option to turn the HUD off in the full game. Now, after the HUD issue my second biggest complaint is the weapon an item selection screen. You should be able to switch weapons or items in the game without freezing the game and going to a second screen to select your weapon or items. There is NO WAY that can stay like that and I doubt it will. I will say that I love the fact that any NPC character can find you suspicious and not just people in the same uniform or disguise. That makes me a bit excited to see what else is new and more realistic in the full game. I do have a few more issues for this potentially dope game but I will post them else where not in this HUD thread. Peace

HolographicLotus
14th Feb 2016, 16:40
The HUD is good, however many of the settings is designed for casual players which is fine.

However someone like me who wants a bare bones experience sort of feels pulled into the casual sphere of things.
I avoid instincts because it ruins the intense feeling of entering a room not knowing what comes next.
I want to literally look at my targets photo and go for a search instead of pressing R1 to see his figure in red.

But turning off HUD settings doesn't feel rewarding if it's by personal choice.
I hope to god there's difficulty settings in the final game instead of "challenges".

ExtremisAntares
14th Feb 2016, 21:23
- Needs better briefing interface functionality and intel options – Targets habits, strengths/weaknesses which can be used as clues to discover the different assassination techniques involved within the level instead of displaying them all within the Challenge section which hurts replay value in my opinion.
- Enable kit preparation for each contract allowing selection for On-Site Procurement locations and have concealment options using multiple sized holsters on body, or in suitcase/items such as a Long Stemmed flower box, providing variety for how 47 handles, and acquires his tools for the job.
- Option to remove ALL on screen button prompts and interface windows.

Red4Hitman
15th Feb 2016, 00:35
I REALLY REALLY HATE INVENTORY! I CAN'T STAND IT, PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Bring it back like in Blood Money where you can see every item in your inventory how it look, not some white images. In Blood Money you could see how really look and rotate when you select one of items... :(

Shahyd
15th Feb 2016, 04:20
Please let us disable all the elements of the HUD. The constant reminder of objective isn't necessary. Also we need to know what we have in our hands. Replace the paused inventory by one on the fly not taking the whole screen and more transparent. All this to help players optimize their strategy. Thanks IO.

Also we need to know about our inventory space to see how many slots it remains.

Thanks again IO.

YerBoyDrew
15th Feb 2016, 09:44
Tell us all your thoughts and feedback about the menus, HUD, inventory, mini-map etc.

Be sure to check the in-game settings as you can customise many of the features and effects to your liking.

I really wish their was an option to turn off those slow dramatic headshots. Along with an option to disable the crosshairs or change them to a small simple white dot.

Please Add More Options For How We Want To Play.

YerBoyDrew
15th Feb 2016, 09:47
I really wish their was an option to turn off those slow dramatic headshots. Along with an option to disable or change the crosshairs to a small simple white dot. Please add more options for how we want to play.

markrein
15th Feb 2016, 11:36
During gameplay, when reaching certain marks or whatever, hints/prompts/descriptions appear, describing something one can do, e.g. Remote Explosives: For me the text is too hard to read. Thin black letters in front of grey background. I have a 55 inch TV, very good eyes. But there I have to concentrate real hard to be able to read the text. Perhaps using slightly thicker letters or different colour combination might help a lot. All other text I can read without problem.

Tiarny
15th Feb 2016, 12:42
I'd quite like a way to quickly pull up the full map.

At the moment it's pretty slow, since you need to load the notebook and then change to the map tab. A quick one-button, instant map would be pretty handy for planning movement around the levels.

manicman
15th Feb 2016, 12:48
I had an idea for the 'Challenges' screen. Currently I feel as though I can't even look at it because it's going to tell me all the cool things I can do on a level whereas finding this stuff out myself is what gives Hitman it's replayability.

How about if those Challenge 'cards' are flipped over by default, with a question mark on them, and the player can choose to reveal the challenges if they so wish? Obviously, one's you've done already would be already flipped over.

That way, players who don't want to be spoiled can use the Challenges function to see what they've done and how much there is left to do, and if they feel as though they've exhausted a level, they can flip the cards over to see hints as to what's left.

Tiarny
15th Feb 2016, 13:00
I had an idea for the 'Challenges' screen. Currently I feel as though I can't even look at it because it's going to tell me all the cool things I can do on a level whereas finding this stuff out myself is what gives Hitman it's replayability.

How about if those Challenge 'cards' are flipped over by default, with a question mark on them, and the player can choose to reveal the challenges if they so wish? Obviously, one's you've done already would be already flipped over.

That way, players who don't want to be spoiled can use the Challenges function to see what they've done and how much there is left to do, and if they feel as though they've exhausted a level, they can flip the cards over to see hints as to what's left.

That sounds like an ace idea. The locked challenge descriptions could also be changed to offer hints to the challenge, rather than just explicitly telling you what to do. For example, on the boat level the challenge could hint at their being rat poison to find without telling you explicitly where it is. Similarly, knowing that a level has an "accident" somewhere without being shown / told exactly what it is. They should encourage you to explore and unlock everything the level has, but without giving it all away like they do now.

taz6200
15th Feb 2016, 18:13
The hub really looks good it's clean and not in the way to the point where I want to turn it off. The mini map isn't too big to were it's taking up the whole side of the screen and the primary objective screen isn't bad or big either, it is help players who haven't played hitman in awhile or new hitman player out by telling them what there objective are and how they can take out their target without hitting the touch pad on the PS4 remote.

HolographicLotus
15th Feb 2016, 19:00
There should be an option setting to allow camera zoom.

When 47 walks outside the camera automatically zooms out.
I'd prefer if the camera would stay fixated.

We should have the choice of options.

manicman
15th Feb 2016, 21:42
There should be an option setting to allow camera zoom.

When 47 walks outside the camera automatically zooms out.
I'd prefer if the camera would stay fixated.

We should have the choice of options.

I was playing just now with the left trigger held down constantly (no gun in hand, obviously). That provides a nice tight viewpoint. Made my left index finger ache though.

hichanbis
16th Feb 2016, 12:35
Texts are too small in game (either menu or subtitles)

Whiterabbitmushrooms
16th Feb 2016, 16:30
Well, I think we all have some great ideas. We all seem to agree we need more options! I hope IO is listening. And for me, Purist mode is a must and better weapon item access and faster map excess. Than the game might be perfect!

RushXX
19th Feb 2016, 19:16
The Ui is really well done.

But just one short Question Why are the NPC´s in the minimap
But not in the Big map ? maybe you can change this.

YungSpaceWalrus
19th Feb 2016, 19:40
The hud is something i really like about the beta.

It's crisp and minimalist, while keeping the Hitman roots in mind.

Shredsss
19th Feb 2016, 21:25
Instinct sucks balls. Why you had to add it? You realize Hitman fans are not idiots, and WE DIDN'T LIKE IT THE LAST TIME (Absolution)? Why you add this ****... please remove. Or give us some mode that actually REWARDS with XP or money for not using this crap vision.

And why the game does not have difficulty setting? You know Pro mode with no Instinct + no saves? It's not enough that we can turn it off. It needs to be a difficulty setting of it's own, and reward the player for not being a wuss.

Hyperjoc
19th Feb 2016, 21:26
I agree with previous persons: there are no sound sliders. I always turn of the music. First of all, mostly it does not add anything. Second, in real life you do not have music. Third it is distracting, I want to hear the sound effects good (it is a shooter! And you must be stealthy). So I really hope you can turn the sound off in the final release.

TobiasRieperGER
19th Feb 2016, 22:16
The Colors and Text of the HUD is OK.
But i dont like the level overview in Main Menu. Ok i know that these layout is fitted to the consoles, but it is not good for keyboard users. When i want to switch to challenges i have to use mouse or seperate Keys. That is not comfortable.

On PC i want Hotkeys or scroll with mousewheel thru the weapons to make them ready to draw. Its not good to open up the wheel menu every time i want to change the weapons. The white symbols of the items isnt nice to watch when i play in a dark room. Hope they will be replaced with pics of the items.

Where is the Sound-Menu?
The Musik is to loud to listen to NPCs. So i want to balance it. But no Audio Menu.

Overall i liked the Menus of Blood Money and Absolution more than this HUD and Menu.

NullQuery
20th Feb 2016, 09:04
As suggested previously, it seems the PC version is lacking several intuitive controls. Mainly the ability to open & cycle through the inventory by scrolling with the mouse. I'm also assuming that a lot of the artwork (particularly the artwork used for item close-ups) is going to be changed before the release.

Pilchenstein
20th Feb 2016, 16:08
Echoing the complaints about mousewheel to select items without opening the inventory first and I'd also like to see the spacebar (since it's within reach of WASD) work in the menus as well as enter. Oh and the initial title screen where you can only press enter and not space or click to proceed? That's kind of annoying, especially since spacebar skips the splash screens.

jimbianco
20th Feb 2016, 16:47
uhhh, instinct is totally optional, or just don't use it? It will have difficulty settings. This is a beta you know.
"shaking head"
anyway, options such as turning off int. highlight,and all the other hints.icons were GREAT (I hate those white outlines). Would be nice to have button prompt on/off options, and the objective on/off didn't work. Upper left corner objective still on screen, that harsh swooshing sound from absolution is annoying as hell.

TheOctochicken
20th Feb 2016, 23:15
Overall, I rather like the crisp minimalist design of the user interface and menus, but I do have a few minor quibbles.

1. The Key Binding menu doesn’t even show the Objectives Menu as an option, making it impossible to bind it to any key other than “F1”
2. Additionally, one should be able to bind the Map, Intel, and Challenges to open on a key press. If nothing else, they should at least open on “F2”, “F3”, and “F4” by default.
3. The “Quit Game” button should sit on the main menu screen in the bottom right (just to the right of the player’s Steam name), not under the “Settings” tab.
4. The player should be able to use the mouse to drag the red bar underneath the list of available missions and cutscenes.

NullQuery
20th Feb 2016, 23:27
I forgot to mention one thing: during playthroughs when confronted with a menu, such as when attempting to unlock a door where the game asks you which item you want to use, I instinctively press the Escape key. Currently this cancels the action and brings up the menu, but it would be better if it only cancelled the action and brought up the menu on a second press. Thanks in advance. :)

Pilchenstein
20th Feb 2016, 23:51
Couple of other things: I've had the scroll bar in the graphics menu glitch out a couple of times, so that I could only scroll half way down the options (or into a blank space at the top) and the shortcut indicators in the menus ("press Escape to go back" etc) should really be clickable.

Edit: Show a number next to the supersampling slider in-game.

Biohazard77
21st Feb 2016, 04:14
Overall I feel it is pretty good, but I obviously would like to remove the corner "Hitman Beta" text.

ElectronicAssociate
21st Feb 2016, 04:41
Love the UI but I hope there is a better way to cycle through weapons than hitting I each time (PC User). If I try and use my mouse-wheel while in game, it does nothing.

Defestated
21st Feb 2016, 13:36
Overall I thought it was pretty good, sometime on 4k the text was hard to read. I wish there was a quick inventory select option so you don't have to go out of the game to select a weapon, something like the Witcher 3 radial menu would be good and also a indication to what weapon you currently have selected for when it's holstered. Sometimes also the keys seemed to get messed up when over a body, I kept losing the drag key and had to move around to get it back, make time critical gameplay sometimes annoying.

shivren
21st Feb 2016, 14:14
This isn't strictly about UI, but I am touching on that aspect of it as well.

Auditory player feedback, AKA, the whoosh sound or the SHSHhshshshshSHSh. I disliked it in Absolution and I dislike it here. First of all, I do play with all of the UI elements turned off, because I don't like my screen cluttered. Well, all of them I can turn off, but that's a story for another time. I would still like to receive some sort of feedback when it comes to detection. There is a visual cue – that weird green-blue flash, but it's when the player has already been detected and you can easily miss it. My problem with the whoosh sound is that I can sometimes hardly hear it, especially when I'm either focused on my task (so paying attention to guard pathing, timing things, you know, regular things you do when playing in a stealthy manner) or when it's drowned by music, sound effects, dialogue (which is a problem since you can't change the audio balance in the beta), and even when I'm not using headphones and the sound is coming out of my speakers. Once I hear it, it might be too late. I also don't exactly know how much time I have and it's difficult to pinpoint the source of the danger even though the whoosh sound is sort of directional. What that means is that I end up waving the camera around looking for the guard that is spotting me, but I still might find myself caught before I can do anything about it. And from then it's trial and error to figure out which guys I should avoid. Add to that the new enforcer system and it might become a major problem on bigger levels.

I'd like a small visual meter on the side of my screen. I personally think a mixture of Blood Money's and Contracts' HUD would be the best. Blood Money had color coding – green for normal, yellow for suspicious, red for danger. Contracts had a bar that you didn't have to pay attention to at all, cause it was literally freaking out in the corner when you needed to know something's up, so it was catching your attention without drawing it away from the action on screen. But I touched on the other UI elements you can't turn off, so…

The objectives aren't needed on the screen. Same with the last player action. I can easily track that I have to kill a guy, thank you :) And when you add more targets, it'll just clutter the screen. Have this in the briefing screen, I can handle pressing one button when there's something I'm unsure of. Last player action is also something I don't understand. I guess it'll be okay if it faded after a while, but I don't have to know that 5 minutes ago I removed all evidence. I imagine it was meant to be an evolution of the alert system from Codename 47/Silent Assassin/Blood Money, but even those games didn't constantly tell you what you're doing. I know what I'm doing :) Trust me! I would like to see some small status panel though, without it being the huge TRESPASSING text in the middle of the screen. Going back to the old titles – even just „Your cover has been blown” text in the place of the last player action would be lovely.

The actual menu itself is absolutely beautiful, the design is nice looking, although some of the elements look too big, like designed for a touch screen. Overall I was impressed in how much it fits the atmosphere and the Hitman feel. Probably the menu I liked the most since Contracts' main menu.

Pilchenstein
21st Feb 2016, 16:08
The launcher could use some work - it sometimes opens in full screen and when I access the settings from there the window that opens appears and disappears a few times before staying open. The settings window is also opening with the steam overlay on it and the "access the steam overlay" popup covers some of the options.

Edit: When you're in the main menu "Quit game" prompts you for confirmation but when you access the in-game menu, "Quit game" just dumps you straight to desktop without asking.

BarryBobJones
22nd Feb 2016, 22:57
I like the new HUD a lot. It doesn't clutter the screen and it's great, considering that I can turn anything off should I so chose.

kaneten
29th Feb 2016, 05:46
I really hate the style of having the button appear over the object (especially if the object itself is highlighted, ugh!). I much prefer the older system of contextual button prompts always appearing in the same place, so you only notice if you actually want to interact with something. For example, one thing I found particularly annoying watching footage from the Beta was "SUBDUE" appearing beside everybody you walk by.

The constant objective reminder is ridiculous, especially compared to the unobtrusive style of the old games.

If these can all be controlled it'll be a non-issue though, so fingers crossed.

stallfish
1st Jun 2016, 15:42
suggestion about MAIN MENU in this game

Not enough spice in this game.
You could do a central menu level. Some kind a "Nexus", the base from which the 47th is sent on a mission. (without any main menu like this is in all games)
And to do this as a full-fledged airport base with people. (Which I saw in first trailer of the game)
Here 47 could sit in the cafe, take coffee and use notebook, which is contacted with the agency.
Well, after you select a mission running to landing on a plane.

P.s.
Something similar happened in the previous parts, which was the main base.
On which you can practice shooting and see the collection of weapons.