PDA

View Full Version : America's Army

Saba
2nd Jul 2002, 17:10
Are any of you guys excited about/planning to play this game? It seems like ICEBreakers sort of tactical shooter. I'm not sure about you though, Zaph, or anyone else.

ICEBreaker
2nd Jul 2002, 18:52
Yes I am very excited! And it is FREE! Amazing. I salute the US Army. The only thing I don't like is the name. They should have called it "US Army Operations" or something which sounds cooler.

Saba
2nd Jul 2002, 20:02
I can't wait either! I just hope it isn't some cheap giveaway. I heard it would be out by next week, right?

About the name, true, US Army Operations or US Army Ops would have sounded much cooler and intriguing than "America's Army." How about... US Army: Operation...(insert cool-sounding term). That would work quite well too, if they plan to release the game in stages. It really doesn't matter that much at this point though. The important thing is we get a (hopefully) awesome tactical/FP shooter free.

One last thing: I know the game will be available for download, but will we be able to get it through mail or pick it up at a store?

ICEBreaker
3rd Jul 2002, 00:56
Yes, there used to be a form on their website (http://americasarmy.com/) where one could fill in their details and have the game sent out via the post. It also used to say that the game whould be available from any Army recruitment center. However I have trouble finding the form and the info now. Perhaps these two methods are no longer viable which is surprising, seeing as these two methods would allow them to get as much influencing power as possible to potential recruits. One possible reason could be that they are now releasing the game in two stages. The Recon version will be out on the 4th July while the main version will be out later this summer. Perhaps the logistics and costs involved with distributing the two versions are too high.

Zaphod
3rd Jul 2002, 02:21
I'm very excited. It's supposed to be like SWAT3 (the best team-based tactical shooter EVER), which is to say, "Rainbow Six without a hideous sidekick-control scheme."

I'm not sure I support the political and sociological ramifications behind government-sponsored gaming, but I'll give the game a look.

Saba
3rd Jul 2002, 15:39
I can understand that they won't be able to distribute it by mail. The whole venture would be incredibly expensive, not to say complicated. Did you guys get to read gamespot.com's exclusive preview (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2873293,00.html)?

Saba
3rd Jul 2002, 21:31
When the game is released tomorrow, let's team up guys, and take on the world. This will be the first time I ever play an online game... I can't wait!

By the way, we'll be able to download the game for free online until the end of summer, when it will be officially released as a two CD set.