PDA

View Full Version : How old? Not relevant, I guess...

vakusuma
2nd Jul 2002, 15:37
Continuing the topic.

Carry on, kids. :D

Moggraider
2nd Jul 2002, 16:02
13-17 in the house. W00t w00t, and all that.

Amazeroth
2nd Jul 2002, 20:00
Silence in the ranks of the minor, please.
I'm 18. :p

vakusuma
2nd Jul 2002, 21:08
We need COPPA.

Goku Noble Warrior
2nd Jul 2002, 21:52
Moggraider is 16 and has along time left until reaching 17.

I just turned 21 yesterday Woot!!!!!!!! July 1'st all the way!!!!

Arkron
2nd Jul 2002, 22:10
Turned 19 last saturday..

Come on everyone, lets spam some mindless dribble and raise our postcounts!

Mouze1
2nd Jul 2002, 22:17
Ha Ha, 17 I am now. Old enough to know better and still young enough to try and get away with it. Can't do that next year. Bummer.

Disorderly Conduct
2nd Jul 2002, 23:34
BLING BLING! God i'm old.

22-25

TiadaghtonDude
3rd Jul 2002, 01:57
18-21 here.

Dell
3rd Jul 2002, 07:52
At the risk of seeming repetitious, 22-25

Why do quarter of centuries seem like forever?

Arkron
3rd Jul 2002, 08:31
Because it probably is.. ;)

4Eyes
3rd Jul 2002, 09:42
Yep, I'm still here, and 22 years old now...Jeez, time flies...I remember when I joined back at the old forum and was just barely 19...

Seems like such a long time ago...

Nightstalker
3rd Jul 2002, 17:46
18-21 here.

Let's JAM.

Nightstalker.

Nightstalker
3rd Jul 2002, 17:48
Oops, forgot to rate this topic. ;)

Nightstalker.

vakusuma
3rd Jul 2002, 18:07
Yer right.

Rate this topic, everyone. *glares*

Arkron
3rd Jul 2002, 21:48
I think Vak is having symptons of an eye disease.. he galres way to much.

Rated it.. top notch of course :)

Amazeroth
4th Jul 2002, 15:58
Whoa... 41-45?! You're scaring me, whoever you are dude. :p

Taboo
4th Jul 2002, 17:34
18 - 21 here. Actually I'm 20. And in the poll, why would a 55 year-old be playing Final Fantasy? Like that is really old.

LARAMANIAC
4th Jul 2002, 21:08
In the interest of raising the mean age here 31-35 thats me - 34!!!:p

Nightstalker
4th Jul 2002, 21:42
In the old days of the old forum :p. There was someone saiding that he/she was 54 or so...

Nightstalker.

Moggraider
4th Jul 2002, 22:05
Ah yeah. It was a chick. I'm pretty sure her username was just her name, although I can't remember it.

N00dles
5th Jul 2002, 06:45
Im 19 3/4 now...In dexember I will turn the old sounding age called 20 :(

*checks for any grey hairs on his head*

Arkron
5th Jul 2002, 09:33
I still remember BeachLady.. and Granny of course. Claimed she was 70 :)

Dell
5th Jul 2002, 10:43
I have a bone to pick with Taboo! Taboo....I never figured you to be an "age chauvinist pig", a reviler of years, a despoiler and insulter of those enjoying their Golden Years! Even Stephen King had respect for Golden Years (snicker snicker).

You dared to say this: ". . . , why would a 55 year-old be playing Final Fantasy? Like that is really old."

Well, youngster, let me explain a few facts of life to you wet behind the ears, greenhorn of an age snob.

They play Final Fantasy games--and a lot of other games--for the same darn reason anyone else does...the fun and entertainment and challenge of it! Like my Grandmother is really old, I mean old old. She is 75, and sometimes she grabs my Final Fantasy VII game and really romps around the landscape! She actually is much better at following clues than I am...and some other players I know, too! She's the one who started the Chocobo dance in our house...and the one who found all the bottled thingies in Zelda Ocarina of Time when me and my Dad couldn't find them all.

Oh, she actually won the races and got the pony, Epona, before either Dad or I did, too. Caught the biggest fish first ...

She doesn't need walk-thrus either, just simply plays by instinct.

Now, care to revise your condescending remark?

SirCanealot
5th Jul 2002, 11:15
Dell chill it. Posts with that much intellect shouldent be in this topic. Take it out side ladies! :D

I'm still 17 and for some reason I cant type this morning... oh well.

N00dles
5th Jul 2002, 15:20
Originally posted by SirCanealot
and for some reason I cant type this morning...

Dont say that. This post actually contains the least spelling errors!;)

vakusuma
5th Jul 2002, 15:28
It's "can't" not "cant", damn it.

:D

Arkron
5th Jul 2002, 23:27
I seem to remember a certain email I received today, eh Vak? ;)

Nightstalker
7th Jul 2002, 16:17
I think the name is Kathy (or something like that).

And Dell, I think your Grandma 'Rocks' ;).

Nightstalker.

laranur
7th Jul 2002, 18:11
Originally posted by Disorderly Conduct
BLING BLING! God i'm old.

22-25

I am older than you (unfortunatelly) I am 35 :(

Amazeroth
7th Jul 2002, 19:12
Funny how you can call a 50-year old a 'chick'.

N00dles
7th Jul 2002, 23:51
Well, you know Mogg...:)

sam i am
8th Jul 2002, 04:34
sammy boy is 33 in october!
ya bunch o youngns!:D

Moggraider
8th Jul 2002, 07:05
Originally posted by Amazeroth
Funny how you can call a 50-year old a 'chick'.

Hey, it could happen.

Amazeroth
8th Jul 2002, 20:34
Well I wouldn't be really going for grannies... sorry.

laranur
8th Jul 2002, 21:14

We are here only to have friends and share our opinions about the games. Nothing else!!!!!

So I think it shouldn't be important our ages to being here.

Amazeroth
8th Jul 2002, 21:57
Chill. This board is for general discussion. I was simply joking as in most of my posts. If you want to discuss something game-related, the FF VII discussion board would be a better shot.

Arkron
8th Jul 2002, 22:18
I think everyone here should add a 'these comments are total jokes and in no way reflect my opinions on the matter' to their sigs.

Moggraider
8th Jul 2002, 23:41

A 50 year old could be hot. I wouldn't go for her, but she could be hot. Furthermore, to clear up the issue, a "chick" merely refers to a female; it implies nothing about her appearance. When one desires to compliment a woman on her appearance, only words such as "babe" would be used.

Arkron
9th Jul 2002, 08:46
Heh, now you almost sound like a scientist Mogg ;)

Dell
9th Jul 2002, 11:09
Remove all sharp instruments from the area! Moggraider will be dissecting females next thing you know. All in the interests of "better understanding them" of course.

I think I will hide my Granma. And yes, that is how she is called without the "d" in the middle probably because the grandkids couldn't say the "d" plainly enough.

Say, now that I think of it, isn't the term "babe" in referring to a presentable female just a bit outdated? I don't use the word, but I wondered. Enlighten me someone.

N00dles
9th Jul 2002, 13:06
Why should the word 'babe' be outdated?

Besides, I interprete the word 'chick' as a pretty girl...Not that I use the word anyway...

vakusuma
11th Jul 2002, 14:21
I wonder who's the sick, sick man who first associated young chicken with young women...

Dell
11th Jul 2002, 14:40
No doubt it was a poultry farmer who raises chickens for KFC!

Apropo of absolutely nothing, wouldn't these things look great on a sig banner?

http://members.lycos.nl/fantasyfarm/eye.gif

or

http://members.lycos.nl/fantasyfarm/batline.gif

I have lots and lots of pics if anyone wants to ask about something they might like on a banner....

Amazeroth
11th Jul 2002, 19:23
Hmm those are indeed nice where you got all that stuff from may I ask? It's not that easy to find good pictures on the net

Dell
11th Jul 2002, 20:59
Actually, Amazeroth, I have been collecting them for a couple of years. Whenever I run into a particularly neat one, I get the properties and save it. I have a lot of them, believe me!

And yes, there really aren't a lot of good ones around. If you want those two, grab them and go for it! :)

I really do like the "Sleepy Demon"...but the bat is striking, too.

mitochondria eve
15th Jul 2002, 01:50
I'd say, out of all the users talking, I am the youngest. Less than thirteen. I am 12. Joined at the age of ten, and a few days later turned eleven, I turn 13 next march. I say I'm kinda lucky to be young!

Dell
15th Jul 2002, 10:01
I am still in the process of trying to figure out how it came to be that "young" is equated with "better".

Hmmm...young tomatoes are green as can be, and don't really reach their peak until fully mature...ripe and juicy, yet baby carrots are delicious. Baby chicks are cute, but adults produce the meat and eggs to keep chicken kind going.

So is cuteness somehow better? Seems like productive is more better...mostly mature is wiser and more experienced anyway.

Notice how it is mostly old geezers who run our country? They sure are productive....giggles as she compares their salaries, gratuities, bribes and so on with their actual productivity. Like how many Newt Gingriches does it take to validate one Monica Lewinski's parking ticket?

Or am I waxing sarcastic?

Moggraider
15th Jul 2002, 18:05
*ignores Dell*

Younger is better.

Amazeroth
15th Jul 2002, 19:31
Yeah I hope I'll die at the age of 60 or somethin like that :D

3car
23rd Jul 2002, 14:31
Good place for this.

Don't knock us old geezers too hard, our bones might break and then you'd have to pay more taxes for our medicare to fix those bones you broke by knockin' us. ;)

'Sides, without us 'old' geezers and geezerettes, you wouldn't have many good games to play. Ain't many pups where I work that do much more than just be at work. They ain't learned enough on their own yet to be left to their own devices and proclivities. Afraid they might....

Agree with Moggraider- younger is better looking. ;)

vakusuma
23rd Jul 2002, 15:26
*stares at the generous chunk of money the government cut from his last paycheck for Medicare taxes*

Thanks... I think.

windcloud
24th Jul 2002, 03:38
18 is the age to be.

Captain Zelnick
4th Aug 2002, 06:33
I'm 14:D :D . Younger is BETTER! Woo Woo blah blah blah.

http://C:/My Documents/My Pictures/portalz.bmp

windcloud
4th Aug 2002, 07:07
*in a british accent*

Younger is not better! ya bloody wankers who can't even drive!

... wankers!

Dell
4th Aug 2002, 09:27
Like your banner, Windcloud. Like your sentiments, too!

There is no "just right" or "best" age. There are advantages and disadvantages to every age, believe me.

Canyon Wolf
4th Aug 2002, 13:23
My, my, to think that I was only 13 when I first joined this place, and now I'm almost 18 already. Time sure flies, and FF7 together with my old Celeron still seem so new...I still can't believe I'm in college and on an honest-to-god P4...

For any old-timers: I'm Jenova. Changed my handle because I'm not comfortable with it anymore, and I will pop in more often now that the first midterms is over.

Moggraider
4th Aug 2002, 17:56
Oh goodie. PM Grey Mouser to get your original registration date back.

Dell
8th Aug 2002, 09:38
Oh hey, hi, Jen... uh Canyon Wolf! Oh boy, did I ever just write a sarcastic reply to you in the FF is a RPG topic!

Go ahead, laugh! I am...you turned me on to the Adventure games and it was you who advised me to get The Longest Journey! :) Ain't that a _itch!

Anyway, got two great MAS stories going, MAS 3 and 4...and we are trying to get MAS 2 restarted! Also your original love, MAS 1 is sitting there waiting on Nightstalker's site...just waiting for us to go back and finish it! All the original writers are still here, too...was that really more than two years ago?

Interested?

Dell
8th Aug 2002, 19:18
OOPS! I got confused...two new wolves showing up here at once!

It was Arctic wolf who got all huffy after accusing us of being FF purists...not Canyon Wolf who is Jenova.

First two Jenova's and now two wolves! Duhh

Sephiroth110
8th Aug 2002, 22:38
wow dell, you seem to be hitting people left and right, sheesh, take it easy, your 22-25 and playing zelda with your dad and grandmother, people could say a lot about that, you shouldn't go attacking people when they say "..." about people over 50 playing video games. me? i'm 16, oh yeah, still in the younger group, oh yeah, growing with the systems. still have my NES and the origanal Mega Man.

windcloud
9th Aug 2002, 03:57
Originally posted by Sephiroth110
wow dell, you seem to be hitting people left and right, sheesh, take it easy, your 22-25 and playing zelda with your dad and grandmother, people could say a lot about that,

In Arctic Wolf's book, he'd find that quite offensive, and against the rules of the TOU. and prolly will report your post to the forum moderator. But i know at least dell would have the balls to say something back and not report it to the forum mod.

point is Dell might be defensive at times, (she's gotten better throughout the years, you should have seen her when she frist joined... heh the imfamous flam war with DC) but i find she's alot better than some guy who runs off to the mods.

Canyon Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 11:23
I don't know, maybe I'll keep the new date...as I'm a freshman now, I feel like being a newbie all over again. Makes me feel young. I can see how two Jenovas can confuse people, though. :)

I'm still interested in the MASes, but I'm only on for the weekends so I don't know if I'll be much help (even though my writer's blocks seemed to have lessened in frequency somewhat) as the campus internet costs a fortune. Just in case, I'll hop on to the sites and see how far behind I am. Probably will have LOTs of backreading to do.

Oh, and as a throwback to one of the original topics in this thread, I made peace with chemistry. It's much better in college than when I was in high school. In fact, I think I'm having *fun* with it. Oh, the horror...

Someone should've saved a copy of the infamous flame war. Newbies should see it at least once as a testimony to the might of the FF7 forum. :D j/k

Sephiroth110
9th Aug 2002, 11:42
i don't know, what you are saying about telling people off being better than "running off to the mods" isn't right. i admit to defending myself too, but when people start flaming eachother, the right thing to do IS go to the mod, and get it locked or deleted, beacuse bad feelings harbor more bad feelings. people look down on reporting to the mod, but when push comes to shove, when you should shove, you SHOULD get the mod to shove for you, or you might be facing the back end of the "ban stick" and a rumor going around the mods is that it is very fun.

and no, Arctic would NOT find that offensive and go to the mods, he doesn't do that much, in fact, that about the second time he has said that in all the years i've been posting, and he had good reason, he meant nothing bad and dell started insulting his intelligence and saying he couln't hold a social life, that would offend a whole lot of people.

windcloud
9th Aug 2002, 17:45
Oh come on now, that Thread obviously started out as a freaking violation of the TOU. you see any of our members reporting Dracoraptor? NO!

Moggraider
9th Aug 2002, 17:57
In no way was the first post in that topic a violation of the TOU. This topic of discussion ends now.

Dell
11th Aug 2002, 11:25
Was it fun, Moggraider? Hope so! :D

I am twenty-five, and my Dad is sixty-three, and my Granma, his mother, is 80....

Is that relevant to this topic?

They occasionally play my computer and PC games. I play often. I also sing, dance, play the Pan flute, study mallard ducks, write stuff, read, and ... Spam.

Mouze1
11th Aug 2002, 21:40
Well, well, so how is everyone? Getting along and having fun? Good, good.

The weather? Oh it's just fine, pretty hot, but tolerable.

Oldsters and video games? Yes, oldsters play video games quite often, especially when other forms of entertainment cost so much and the instruments of video game crimes are laying about so handy. :D

Flame wars? Hey the last flame war I saw was when my Dad tried to light the BBQ and just about torched the whole backyard.

Ya'll take care, have fun and ya'll place nice.

Amazeroth
12th Aug 2002, 14:39
Hmmm. I would *love* to comment on that purist matter by announcing my most important opinion but I guess that topic's kind of old already. Crap.

Canyon Wolf
12th Aug 2002, 17:02
Of what should we speak, then? The importance of being earnest?

Dell
12th Aug 2002, 18:42
As it turned out, being earnest wasn't very important at all!

Canyon Wolf
13th Aug 2002, 09:24
That was a reference to a short story I'd read...about a guy named Earnest who's not really earnest or something like that. Forgot who ever wrote it, so it's a bit silly to say that. :)

I remember when this topic got scientific a long time ago...so I've got a question to ask: What makes sugar sweet? Aldehyde groups? I've been wondering that for sometime and no one's able to give me a satisfactory answer.

LazyLion
14th Aug 2002, 10:53
Seems I am the only one in the 36-40 group. Happy, happy, joy, joy :(

Dell
14th Aug 2002, 17:50
The Importance of Breing Earnest" is a story by Oscar Wilde. It was made into a stage play and also a movie. High Schools and Unis in America consider it a standard thing for their drama clubs to perform, pretty much like "Harvey" is a standard thing.

And as for sweet, I think our taste buds determine what is and is not perceived as sweet to us.

"Sweet

Sweet substances (like table sugar - sucrose) bind to G-protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) at the cell surface.

Each receptor contains 2 subunits designated T1R2 and T1R3 and is coupled to G proteins.

The complex of G proteins has been named gustducin because of its similarity in structure and action to the transducin that plays such an essential role in rod vision.

Activation of gustducin triggers a cascade of intracellular reactions:
activation of adenylyl cyclase
formation of cyclic AMP (cAMP)
the closing of K+ channels that leads to depolarization of the cell.

The mechanism is similar to that used by our odor receptors.

The hormone leptin inhibits sweet cells by opening their K+ channels. This hyperpolarizes the cell making the generation of action potentials more difficult. Could leptin, which is secreted by fat cells, be a signal to cut down on sweets?"

Chilled Unit
14th Aug 2002, 17:55
What makes sugar sweet.. welll..

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Psychology/psych2e03/labs/tastestuff/tongue2.gif

When food or beverages enter the mouth, they contact gustatory receptors on the tongue and palate. The sensations produced are sweet, salty, sour, or bitter.

The "tongue map" I found above is the best one I could find.

It basically relies on the shape of the molecules to fit into the receptor pits ont he tongue surface and fire a "sweet", "salty", "sour" or "bitter" message to the brain.

Taste is a efficient mechanism for discriminating between molecules. On the left (ed... below :D) are the structures of cyclamate, aspartame and saccharine. Again there is similarity in their structures. Indeed, scientist are able to relate the taste of many molecules to their shapes and the distribution of electronic charge on their surfaces. The essential components of the sweet taste is thought to be centred on an appropriately spaced pair of electron attracting atoms such as two oxygen atoms attached to a hydrocaron framework. Sucrose has several promising sets of atoms as do the artificial sweetners. But the taste receptor, whose actual structure is presently unknown, is obviously very succesful in discriminating between different potentially sweet molecules. Sweet sensations are sometime not evoked when bombarded by a molecule which simply a mirror image of a sweet molecule. When we taste sweet food, then, these appropriately shaped molecules trigger receptors in taste buds which are very discriminating. The receptors that sense sweetness are able to discriminate between the multitude of chemical in common foods, including molecules closely related to sweet molecules, and reserve their appreciative response for only the correctly shaped molecules.

http://www.molecularuniverse.com/MMMGIF/cyclamates.gif
Cyclamate

http://www.molecularuniverse.com/MMMGIF/saccharins.gif
Saccharin

http://www.molecularuniverse.com/MMMGIF/aspartames.gif
Aspartame

http://www.molecularuniverse.com/MMMGIF/sucroses.gif
Sucrose

Then Dell has stepped in with a nice description of the enzyme reaction that kicks in when a sweet molecular shape has been recognized! - Too biological for me being a chemist :D

Nightstalker
15th Aug 2002, 08:00
About age: Younger is better? No, I don't think so. I must say that younger girls sometimes look nicer then older one but older girls sometimes look nicer then younger girls.

I think each age was it nicer parts but each age also has it downsides.

Nightstalker.

Dell
16th Aug 2002, 08:23
Well! Canyon Wolf, does all of that answer you unanswered question about why sweet is sweet? Hope so! You sorta got it from two sides of the science coin there. :)

Canyon Wolf
17th Aug 2002, 12:03
Pretty much, yes. Thank you folks. :D I sort of thought it might have something to do with those nifty receptors but have no idea how it works. And to think my teacher doesn't really have a clue...

How could I ever forget it was written by Oscar Wilde? *sigh* I'm getting rusty---forgetting my favourite English literatures....Must be the midterms...yeah, it must be the midterms...

vakusuma
26th May 2003, 18:23
Wonder who bumped this puppy up ;)

Dell
26th May 2003, 19:40
Gee, I can't imagine! How nice to see a friendly old face again. Lonesome around here!

Chilled Unit
26th May 2003, 19:42
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thought.

Moggraider
26th May 2003, 19:53
I was thinking about what I'm going to have for lunch.

Chilled Unit
26th May 2003, 20:03
Spam Sandwiches :)

Arkron
26th May 2003, 20:38
:D

Nothing else of note really. But then again, you can note a lot in 3.5 or so years ;)

vakusuma
27th May 2003, 16:34
At least I'm still at the same age range.

Arkron
27th May 2003, 20:30
Same here.. I moved up one category since I started posting here though :cool:

Moggraider
21st Jul 2003, 20:02
I miss the people who used to come here.

Arkron
21st Jul 2003, 22:09
There hasn't been to much activity lately, no.. but I'm still around.

For the record, I turned 20 a month ago :cool:

TiadaghtonDude
21st Jul 2003, 23:08
Does lurking count as visiting?

I can remember a time when I used to actually POST on these boards . . .

Chilled Unit
22nd Jul 2003, 07:40
Nice to see you :)

I think the move to the new board hit our 'lil old FFVII community a little hard.

Moggraider
23rd Jul 2003, 15:27
That had some effect, but I guess it's just the horrible port to the PC that really caused the game to lose staying power.

Dell
14th Aug 2003, 12:49
All those things...and growing up has its effect on people. The excitement of participating in a group at thirteen isn't quite the same four years later...

but darn it, the game still IS just as good!

Nightstalker
17th Aug 2003, 11:31
22 here...So my selection in the poll is incorrect now.

Ohhh...And by the way I'm bakc from vacation.

Nightstalker.

Rook
31st Aug 2003, 20:12
25 - and I just bought the game two days ago. A little late getting to the party, aren't I? http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/wayfarer/bluesmilewink.gif

Moggraider
1st Sep 2003, 15:16
Happy to have you either way.

Dell
23rd Sep 2003, 22:15
Indeed! Welcome however belated!

Rook
26th Sep 2003, 06:02
Aww, thanks a bunch! http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/wayfarer/blue_biggrin2.gif

DrkSnpr14
3rd Jan 2004, 19:41
Im 17

Moggraider
4th Jan 2004, 22:53
Great age to be.

4Eyes
18th Jan 2004, 07:53
Man, is this old baby STILL flying ????

Well, I'm still here...not that often, but still...

vakusuma
21st Jan 2004, 15:14
Not as long as it used to be but yea :p

Tshawn
7th Feb 2004, 21:47
man, i feel young in the 13-17 category.....:D

Moggraider
8th Feb 2004, 03:10
On the 20th I change into the next category! Cha-ching!

3car
7th Mar 2004, 16:06
Oh no, a grey hair!!!!

;)

Nightstalker
9th Mar 2004, 17:02
I'm 22 (nearly 23) *Where is my walking cane :p*

Nightstalker.

Moggraider
2nd Apr 2004, 05:33
*edits poll to reflect his 18-ness*

Man, I just realized this thread is ancient.

Nightstalker
19th Jul 2004, 15:01
23 now...

Amazeroth
27th Jul 2004, 10:54
Damn, there actually was some funny crap going on here now that I read this post. I should add all of you guys to my ICQ list again. Well, most of you.

Oh, I hope certain people around here (=P) aren't still using that ****ass Microsoft Messenger, cos for some reason probably devised by Bill Gates I can't get it to work on Trillian.

I'm 20 now by the way, close to 21, actually.

Threesixty
29th Jul 2004, 19:09
There was? when?...been pretty dead since I can remember.

Of course it could be partly my fault...not one to start topics, I'm not.

Arkron
30th Jul 2004, 09:00
Woo! 21 now!

lilmouze
8th Aug 2004, 21:27
I finally made it to 19. Yippee.