PDA

View Full Version : SENTINEL New Primary Ability: The companion to Sonic Boom and Air Strike

TheDreamcrusher
29th Jan 2016, 06:32
Just got to see the video teaser for Sonic Boom in the Announcements forums and it got me thinking about proposing some ideas for a new primary ability; an ability that would free the sentinel from the ground completely in combat and only descending to hide or feed.

Or should it? Using Ravage while airborne with Abduct or Kidnap could grant a quick 150-200 HP every 20 seconds. Being this restores health and deals damage, 20 seconds seems like a reasonable time frame coupled with the damage either special ability will do. Perhaps the ability could do more damage/health restoration based on the time the victim is carried, like 60 HP per second (Kidnap is 3.5 seconds for reference). A Ravage attack on the ground might grab a human, encircle him with the sentinel's wings, deal a small amount of damage and return health, and then toss him away for a quick escape.

Anyway, that was one idea to pursue. In the Razielim sorcery thread, there were a lot of ideas tossed around about fire-based attacks. Since Air Strike is a nice, big AoE attack, a primary ability would likely do big damage on one target and perhaps a variant of that would spread the damage out to multiple targets, without infringing on Infect territory. Something the game used to have was the ray-of-damage effect on the old Piercing Pistols. The single target strong primary attack, Incinerate, could be a ray of fire issued while airborne, but stationary like Air Strike, to the tune of 300 damage or so. The multi-target variant would be piercing like the old prophet pistols, possibly channeled to allow a higher chance to hit multiple targets. I don't picture it being a breath-attack but I guess it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Sorcery sounds far cooler though.

That said, immolating the ground in an area like Choking Haze or a fly-over razing the ground with passing flames are both possibilities but they wouldn't be an aerial equivalent of Puncture.

Bring on the ideas! I want to see what everyone else thinks.

Ygdrasel
30th Jan 2016, 10:14
I've often liked the idea of a Sentinel being able to grab a human in flight and feed in the air/on the go. Perhaps he snatches them, shoots into the air with a mighty flap, bites into them for a quick snack then drops them.

And a fire attack could be sorcery and still be a breath attack. How would a vampire, for whom fire is one of but a few deadly weaknesses, breathe the stuff out and survive - if not via magic? Could draw up some mystical symbols in the air then belch flames all over.

Maybe make it a fireball with splash damage on impact, if not a steady stream of flame. Going with a stream variant, a stationary-but-airborne approach could work...But it'd make for a very easy target while he's sitting there blowing smoke so...Maybe not. Could work similar to Kidnap/Abduct but rather than grab a target, he coats the area in mouthfire as he swoops through.

ParadoxicalOmen
30th Jan 2016, 13:16
And a fire attack could be sorcery and still be a breath attack. How would a vampire, for whom fire is one of but a few deadly weaknesses, breathe the stuff out and survive - if not via magic? Could draw up some mystical symbols in the air then belch flames all over.

Who's to say Razielim weren't going to evolve on a path similar to Rahabim? Overcoming their weakness to fire by developing thick dragon-like scales?

But in any case, this would be the fully devolved Razielim (same for Rahabim and spitting water)...

I personally like the idea that they could make blue-fire bombs (being that they're artisans and craftsmen)...a possible variant of the Air Strike bomb.

Ygdrasel
30th Jan 2016, 20:12
Who's to say Razielim weren't going to evolve on a path similar to Rahabim? Overcoming their weakness to fire by developing thick dragon-like scales?

But in any case, this would be the fully devolved Razielim (same for Rahabim and spitting water)...

I personally like the idea that they could make blue-fire bombs (being that they're artisans and craftsmen)...a possible variant of the Air Strike bomb.

Air Strike but blue. Ehh. We don't need more "variant of X" skills for Sentinel. He's got Kidnap and Abduct for that.
(The Tyrant could use something other than "Charge, but longer" too but that's another topic.)

And I'm sure they would have developed scales in time...But lining their throat to allow for breath attacks, unlikely. It could be that fire-protection spells cast upon themselves frequently over time imbued them with a natural endurance for it.

Blue fire would be a nice touch but it should be in some unique form, either sorcery, breath or some merging of the two.

TheDreamcrusher
31st Jan 2016, 02:46
I've often liked the idea of a Sentinel being able to grab a human in flight and feed in the air/on the go. Perhaps he snatches them, shoots into the air with a mighty flap, bites into them for a quick snack then drops them.

Maybe make it a fireball with splash damage on impact, if not a steady stream of flame. Going with a stream variant, a stationary-but-airborne approach could work...But it'd make for a very easy target while he's sitting there blowing smoke so...Maybe not. Could work similar to Kidnap/Abduct but rather than grab a target, he coats the area in mouthfire as he swoops through.

You're right about a stationary, aerial, channeled attack for sentinel in that he would be a very easy target. It would be akin to Hellstrike and sentinels don't need that. I'm inclined to scratch that idea.

A fireball with splash damage sounds like another Air Strike, but implementation could set it apart. By dealing a majority of the damage upfront and leaving residual fire on the ground the fireball would behave in reverse like Abyssal Bolt.

Another idea that came to me was to have something like Shroud for the sentinel. It would need to be a much larger area, maybe as large as Immolation's radius, but the sentinel could activate a fire shroud and deal damage by flying near or around humans. In this way, people who have become adept at keeping up sentinel speed could continuously flyby humans and aim to avoid being disabled or shot. Aerodynamics would be a particularly nice talent for this. So far, this is my favorite idea. Ravage is a close second though.

Further expanding on the mechanics of the fire shroud, perhaps the slower the sentinel flies the bigger the radius is, but as he picks up speed the radius shrinks but the damage increases. Fire tends to burn hotter with more oxygen exposure is why I mention this. Again, perhaps (haha), using fire shroud along with Takeoff or Divebomb might inflict incendiary effects? Could be cool!

Ygdrasel
31st Jan 2016, 07:00
You're right about a stationary, aerial, channeled attack for sentinel in that he would be a very easy target. It would be akin to Hellstrike and sentinels don't need that. I'm inclined to scratch that idea.

A fireball with splash damage sounds like another Air Strike, but implementation could set it apart. By dealing a majority of the damage upfront and leaving residual fire on the ground the fireball would behave in reverse like Abyssal Bolt.

Another idea that came to me was to have something like Shroud for the sentinel. It would need to be a much larger area, maybe as large as Immolation's radius, but the sentinel could activate a fire shroud and deal damage by flying near or around humans. In this way, people who have become adept at keeping up sentinel speed could continuously flyby humans and aim to avoid being disabled or shot. Aerodynamics would be a particularly nice talent for this. So far, this is my favorite idea. Ravage is a close second though.

Further expanding on the mechanics of the fire shroud, perhaps the slower the sentinel flies the bigger the radius is, but as he picks up speed the radius shrinks but the damage increases. Fire tends to burn hotter with more oxygen exposure is why I mention this. Again, perhaps (haha), using fire shroud along with Takeoff or Divebomb might inflict incendiary effects? Could be cool!

...Now that's an idea. Sentinel turns himself into a fireball.
Slow speed = high radius, spread-out damage.
Fast speed = lower radius, concentrated damage.

Interesting idea.

Ygdrasel
31st Jan 2016, 18:46
I had a fire-based concept as well: Napalm (working title). Sentinel shifts into a usual Kidnap/Dive Bomb-esque downward dive (accompanied visually by glyph symbols around him, it being a magic attack), sticks the landing (no damage dealt from it though), then launches himself upward with a mighty flap (ala Takeoff, minus the shockwave damage). Fire spreads radially from the takeoff point, scorching any caught in the radius.