PDA

View Full Version : Does this kind of software exist? Or am I just making it up as I go along?

RiCh
1st Jul 2002, 22:20
I appreciate that there’s some knowledgeable people who hang out here, so I’ll ask my question here…. it’s to do with Thief anyway :) Say I want to capture some video footage of some in game action, which I want to put into an FMV. Is there a type of software that can do this? Or is it a simple case of filming the action on a camcorder and then downloading it on to my computer? How do the professional game makers create the in game footage of their games?

Cheers

RiCh

Thorin Oakenshield
1st Jul 2002, 22:30
The best way Rich is using TV-out from the graphics card. There is some software available called [b]Camtasia[b] but I've heard it kills your framerate for obvious reasons but it works.
Some other taffer may give you more info about it cos I haven't used it yet.

I think it's from www.camtasia.com

RiCh
1st Jul 2002, 22:42
That’s great Thorin, many thanks!!! If I understand you correctly? I could connect my computer to my camcorder through the TV-out on my G-card, and just record what I want then transfer it back again. Is it that simple?

Thorin Oakenshield
1st Jul 2002, 22:52
Yes, have you got tv in to get it back?

RiCh
1st Jul 2002, 23:21
I’m not sure Thorin, it’s my friend who’s has the digital camcorder not me. But I’m sure it’ll have an s-video connection, and he’ll have all the software so I can download the footage I need. I just need to blackjack the taffer and do a runner with his camcorder :)

Thanks again

Edit:Ah I see what you mean? On my computer right? We’ll I do have a digital camera and that just connects to a usb port so I can download images, I guess a digital camcorders the same…I hope ;)

Thorin Oakenshield
1st Jul 2002, 23:26
No problemo, I hope it all works for you:)
I know who to ask when I need it done ;) :D

stikboy
1st Jul 2002, 23:52
And if that doesn't work, aiming a camera at the moniter and taping should. Just make sure you have no lights behind you to eliminate glare :) I heard that this is how one of the MOD teams did there gameplay footage.

BrokenArts
2nd Jul 2002, 00:13
RiCh, its just all in your imagination......really......:p

DJC
2nd Jul 2002, 05:31
There are some software programs that will capture game footage like "Screencorder", however when I last tried it (with an Athlon 900, 128mb Ram and a TNT2) my pc wasn't powerful enough to provide a decent frame rate. Maybe PC's are now or maybe the software has improved etc...

You may be interested to know that the <a href="http://cosas.ttlg.com">CoSaS</a> trailers were done by pointing a camcorder at the screen :)